Who remembers when the Pinnacle Grill had..

Those special colored glass plates with different exotic flavored salts in them. When a bisque was two people making it it in front of you, and showing you that the cognac/whiskey they poured in it was real.

When you could have the lobster tail without forking out a twenty on top of the fee already paid.

Truth be told, I only experienced that once....and shucks I envy the old time cruiser folks that did enjoy that more.

Those special colored glass plates with different exotic flavored salts in them. When a bisque was two people making it it in front of you, and showing you that the cognac/whiskey they poured in it was real.

When you could have the lobster tail without forking out a twenty on top of the fee already paid.

Truth be told, I only experienced that once....and shucks I envy the old time cruiser folks that did enjoy that more.

Honestly, I experiences it three times back in the "good old days" and decided that it wasn't worth the uncharge to me. I know everyone here raves about the Pinnacle Grill, but I don't. I'll happily give up my spot to someone else. It wasn't worth it then, and it's not worth it now to me and certainly not worth an additional charge for lobster.

I remember those days. I also remember when it first premiered it was called Marco Polo and served Italian and was complimentary and only open 2 or 3 nights.

After that, it became the Oydessey at the Pinnace and started serving the steaks and seafood.

Anyone else remember when they wheeled the cart out to show the different cuts of steaks ?

Too many changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I remember those days. I also remember when it first premiered it was called Marco Polo and served Italian and was complimentary and only open 2 or 3 nights.

After that, it became the Oydessey at the Pinnace and started serving the steaks and seafood.

Anyone else remember when they wheeled the cart out to show the different cuts of steaks ?

Too many changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do I remember? WOW!!!!! Too right!

I was at the FIRST dinner! Must have been 1996 or 1997 on board the old ROTTERDAM. A group of us were invited to take part in a 'trial'.. held in the little Grand Voyage Room. This was to become on the brand new ROTTERDAM in Marco Polo. Fantastic! Yes, the style was basically Italian.

Pinnacle is good. I don't want to knock it. Only problem is, it has only been running what, a dozen or years? It is a bit tired.

I like Canaletto.... move it up a few more notches and would be more popular.

Tamarind is great... but only on two ships. :-(

Good food should not only get best marks when it is in Pinnacle or Tamarind... ALL food should get best marks.

Recently I was cruising in the Saga Sapphire. They have three restaurants, South to North (MDR), Verandah (Lido) and East to West (similar Tamarind). East to West was fine and does Eastern food. . MDR and Lido do the SAME menu... breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fantastic and the selection was mouth-watering. Went to the East to West just once. More choice in the MDR and rarely any repeats in menus... unless the standards as steaks, fish, chicken etc. I kept the whole set of menus for the cruise ... 35 days. Rarely copied.

Honestly, I experiences it three times back in the "good old days" and decided that it wasn't worth the uncharge to me. I know everyone here raves about the Pinnacle Grill, but I don't. I'll happily give up my spot to someone else. It wasn't worth it then, and it's not worth it now to me and certainly not worth an additional charge for lobster.

My history with HAL is much briefer than many here, but I agree with you. I have tried the Pinnacle Grill dinner at least once on every HAL ship I've been on (since 2006) and only one ship, Ryndam Alaska 2009, got it completely right. Oosterdam Alaska 2014 comes in second. Otherwise, we found the main dining room to be better, both food and service. The Pinnacle Grill actually does lunch best. I know you and I are in the minority opinion, though:)

Who remembers when the Pinnacle Grill was originally called either the Odyssey or Marco Polo?

And the wonderful tomato soup.

YES!

The Marco Polo had a pannacotta that was worth seconds! Miles better than any of the Pinnacle's desserts!

Edited by SilvertoGold

I don't think I've ever had a bad meal in Pinnacle.... made better these days with the caviar and a frozen vodka!

Pinnacle lunch? Well, can't beat it. Made even more enjoyable when the sun shining! Sit at the window... watch the sea.... beautiful. A light antipasto, then Pacific rim beef salad! Panacotta! Expresso! Double Grappa!!!!!!:D

To be fair, I should follow up with the observation that in my experience and opinion, the Pinnacle Grill does an excellent job with the extra-revenue offerings such as the cooking classes, the Le Cirque dinners, the newly developed Sip, Savor, and Sail programs on select itineraries, and the Master Chef or Cellar Master's dinners, when they are offered. I always enjoy the relatively new caviar service in the Pinnacle, but it's costly. I do miss the cart service, when the Caesar Salad and the flambe meats were prepared table-side, but that's all in the past. C'est la vie.

HAL did put the old 3-section salt dishes to use. I have found them holding my ice cream dessert on more than one occasion. Personally, I find eating ice cream off them a little difficult, since the dessert slides around. But it works well enough.

I had forgotten about the different butters. Thanks for that reminder.

HAL did put the old 3-section salt dishes to use. I have found them holding my ice cream dessert on more than one occasion. Personally, I find eating ice cream off them a little difficult, since the dessert slides around. But it works well enough.

I had forgotten about the different butters. Thanks for that reminder.

Thank you, Ruth! I thought the dish DH's ice cream was served on looked familiar.

The only "do you remember" item I recall is the different salts. I've always found the "volcanic salt" and other such salts pretentious. They're all mostly sodium chloride. Just a few more trace elements (impurities???) than good old Mortons.

My history with HAL is much briefer than many here, but I agree with you. I have tried the Pinnacle Grill dinner at least once on every HAL ship I've been on (since 2006) and only one ship, Ryndam Alaska 2009, got it completely right. Oosterdam Alaska 2014 comes in second. Otherwise, we found the main dining room to be better, both food and service. The Pinnacle Grill actually does lunch best. I know you and I are in the minority opinion, though:)

Add me to the minority opinion. And I agree completely about lunch, I love Pinnacle lunches. :)

Yes, I remember all the various offerings in Pinnacle. We have been dining in Pinnacle since Zuiderdam's Inaugural season when Pinnacle was first introduced to the fleet. We were among the early pax to have a number of lovely meals in Pinnacle right from the start. :) Great memories.

I remember those days.

One item we liked was the Northwest Clam Chowder Soup.

I loved the Northwest Clam Chowder. It was delicious when served hot enough. I also really enjoyed the French onion soup which was so much better than that served in MDR.

Who remembers when the Pinnacle Grill was originally called either the Odyssey or Marco Polo?

And the wonderful tomato soup.

Marco Polo was on Zaandam and Voldendam.

Odyssey was on Rotterdam and Amsterdam.

Trivia...... When Zuiderdam first joined the fleet fresh from Fincantieri, the floor tile design at the entrance to Pinnacle said "Pinnacle at Odyssey". They must have made the choice to change the name after the floor had been tiled. :)

I don't have a clue, Topsham :D But I sure to remember those wonder Suite dinners they used to run in Marco Polo and Odyssey. Captain always had a beautiful table, Hotel Manager.... many of the tables were hosted by an Officer. Delicious menus. (Remember the Oxtail Soup with Puff pastry topper and Captain would always caution the steam would escape when the pastry was slit :D ) Such memories.

Edited by sail7seas

On the old s.s. ROTTERDAM there were two main restaurants, La Fontaine and Odyssey. La Fontaine was originally Second Class and Odyssey was the First Class. Obvious choice far a Grill in the new ROTTERDAM.

After a few years the name was changed to Marco Polo. The restaurant was Italian styled so the name was appropriate.

Later the restaurants changed to Pinnacle Grill. West style and I guessed named after Washing State's Mt Rainier. As were are on ship, the choice for a mountain's 'pinnacle' doesn't quite make sense to me. We could have gone for an deep sea pinnacle, but pinnacles in the sea is usually known as REEFS! eek:

The 'Grill' in the old ROTTERDAM was a special, small room aft of la Fontaine. Used for Grand Voyage dinners. One long table, about 32 around the table. Captain, wife and a few officers and the remaining.... about 25 passengers. Passengers would meet in the Tropic Bar for dinners and then to walk down and through the La Fontaine to the grill. All of the waiters dresses in Indonesian costume. All very formal and lots of fun.

New passengers used to ask about the two main restaurants. Maitr'd Try Wyono used to explain, "In the old days we had two classes. Now we have no class at all!"

I cruised 13 voyages in the old ROTTERDAM... 316 days. Always in Odyssey and always at table No. 45. Six or seven at the round table and always a Second Officer on formal nights. My first dinner with Second Officer Arjan van der Loo.... now Captain van der Loo. Captain Schoonderbeek was a Second and Captain Pieter Bos was Chief Officer. Regular captain was Captain Jacob Dijk.

Good old days!