How do we spend Cruise day in Hilo?

astridwilson

Still working on our late August/September 30th anniversary Hawaii Trip.

Here is my question:

Here is the itinerary:

Start with a one week cruise that starts and ends in Honolulu Oahu and visits:

Kahului Maui 2 days

Hilo Big Island 1 day

Kona Big Island 1 day

Nawiliwilli Kauai 2 days

After the cruise we are staying 4 nights at The Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki beach in Honolulu.

Then flying to The Big Island for 4 nights. The first 3 nights we are staying in a condo at the Mauna Lani Terrace on Kohala Coast.

Then one night on the East side TBD.

Fly home from East side

All reservations have been made but east side night and plane tickets.

Where we stay on the east side will be determined by what we do on Hilo cruise day.

We have one day from 8AM to 6PM (really 9-5) in Hilo. Do we use that day to explore Volcano Nation park and then when we return on our second to last day explore the rest of the east side. The waterfalls and the botanical gardens, perhaps the green and black beaches?

If the answer is spend the cruise day at VNP then my next question is do we rent a car and explore on our own or do we book an excursion with who??

Here is my question:

Here is the itinerary:

Kahului Maui 2 days

Hilo Big Island 1 day

Kona Big Island 1 day

Nawiliwilli Kauai 2 days

After the cruise we are staying 4 nights at The Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki beach in Honolulu.

Then flying to The Big Island for 4 nights. The first 3 nights we are staying in a condo at the Mauna Lani Terrace on Kohala Coast.

Fly home from East side

Where we stay on the east side will be determined by what we do on Hilo cruise day.

We have one day from 8AM to 6PM (really 9-5) in Hilo. Do we use that day to explore Volcano Nation park and then when we return on our second to last day explore the rest of the east side. The waterfalls and the botanical gardens, perhaps the green and black beaches?

If the answer is spend the cruise day at VNP then my next question is do we rent a car and explore on our own or do we book an excursion with who??

That's our problem also. Thought we would do the NCL tour "Rainbow falls and volcano" but have been told that we "just can't miss" the black sand beaches. No tour covers all. Not sure of the whole car rental thing and getting around.

I say see all 3 we can. Guess i need to rent a car for that.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sounds as though you have done a thorough job of researching things to do and see in Hilo.

Nothing against Hilo but it not the world's most exciting place, so much of what you might do would likely involve nature, scenery etc. The weather can be extremely changeable, often pouring in the morning, perhaps clearing later in the day. It's easy to get around on your own so renting a car would probably be the best way to go.

Anytime we've been there on a cruise we do very little. However we have stayed on the Big Island numerous times and always found lots to do, although we always stay in Waikoloa and fan out from there. You would find the landscape varies dramatically from area to area. Lots of volcanic rock around the Kona/Waikoloa area, whereas Hilo side features a lot of subtropical vegetation. Up north there are grasslands and rolling plains.

VNP is well worth seeing. If you have ever seen Waterfalls such as Iguazu Falls, Niagara Falls, Victoria Falls then I wouldn't spend time on the falls outside of Hilo, they're just not at all spectacular. If you enjoy plants/gardening the Botanical Gardens really are worth seeing. It is a bit of a hike from the entry down to the water and back up. Sometimes you can catch a ride on one of the golf carts. Queen Liliuokalani Gardens in Hilo proper are also really worth seeing. Very quiet and tranquil. Again, nothing wrong with the beaches you mention, but while in Hawaii you will see better beaches.

Hope this helps a little bit.

If I were you I'd do VNP on your cruise day in Hilo. Rent a car ( shuttles at cruise port, usually great prices from Costco or discounthawaiicarrentals dot com). You will gave some extra time to check things out on the way to/from.

If it's rainy & you need something to do under cover, The outdoor market in Hilo is pretty cool & the tsunami museum (close to the market) is really interesting!

You'll be exploring the Hilo side on your 2nd visit as you drive over....id do the beaches then if I were you ( but I agree with the other poster....they're a " quick look" kind of places.

The Tsunami Museum and local outdoor market would be at the top of my list if you don't want to rent a car. Hilo is low key and not nearly as touristy as the other major cities in the Hawaiian Islands. You'll get more local "flavor" and ambiance versus areas that are geared primarily to tourists.

If you choose to rent a car, the black sand beaches and Volcanoes National Park are sights that are unique and significant.

Driving Crater Rim drive around the Kileaua volcano at VNP with time to take some of the hikes would be worthwhile and probably best done when you are not on a cruise ship port day. And also, the view of the crater is supposed to be excellent after dark when you can see the glow. You might save this for your visit after the cruise.

Have never been to Hawaii except for a cruise, but if I ever do a land vacation, Mauna Loa, the world's largest volcano will be on my bucket list. The observatory is at 9,300 ft but I believe you can go to around 13,000 plus feet. Many people do their own driving, but there are tours as well. Some tours are scheduled for after dark because the view of the night sky from there is dramatically different from what we normally see. This would be a good choice for a non cruise day. Not sure time wise from either Hilo or Kona on a cruise day if it would be feasible. I seem to recall it is usually done from the Kona side, but you don't hear much about it from cruisers, so I doubt it could be done on the cruise.

Hawaii is known for its excellence in water clarity making it's snorkeling and diving the best in the islands. Kona is generally best for this if it interests you. There are night dives offered to see the large Manta Rays.

Edited by punkincc

Driving from Kona to Hilo or reverse takes about 2-2/12 hrs depending on traffic, regardless of whether you take the northern or southern route. The new road through the center of the island cuts down the time required to get to the Mauna Loa region. Driving up to the summit can be interesting as the higher you get the road gets worse and depending on weather can be very icy and slippery. It's also very cold up top.

If you've seen one black sand beach..that should do ya! If it's a hot day, you certainly can't use the beach..that sand gets HOT!!!

There is a black beach which is beyond the VNP and adds some significant time to your day if you are trying to squeeze this in during your cruise. But there is another black beach which is very near the port and we stopped there as last stop before returning to the ship. Sorry I don't recall the name. I believe it is part of a park. Lots of turtles there feeding and resting.

Driving Crater Rim drive around the Kileaua volcano at VNP with time to take some of the hikes would be worthwhile and probably best done when you are not on a cruise ship port day. And also, the view of the crater is supposed to be excellent after dark when you can see the glow. You might save this for your visit after the cruise.

This is a very good point. The glow at night really adds to the experience.

We loved Hilo Farmer's Market.

But there is another black beach which is very near the port and we stopped there as last stop before returning to the ship. Sorry I don't recall the name. I believe it is part of a park. Lots of turtles there feeding and resting.

May be this one?

"Richardson Beach Park is a nice little black sand beach that is close to the pier, but not close enough to walk..."

It's part of Richardson Ocean Park. According to Google Earth, is 4.2 mile from pier (10 min by car).

Are you going on the Pride of America? It sounds like the same itinerary we did. The best day ever was the day we did the crater hike and Akaka falls (I think that's what it was called). We had to book it through the ship (and this tour is only available through the POA, not independently), but there were only 8 of us (4 of us being my family) in a mini-van thing. We climbed down into the volcano, across the lava field and back up the other side. I was 53 at the time, overweight and my knees were acting up that trip (but we had walking sticks). It was awesome. The falls afterwards were nice too. Because we were a small group we yelled stop! as we passed a coffee place that grew and roasted it's own beans, so we went for an unscheduled coffee break. We also stopped at the place where they make macadamia Kisses (and we bought tons as they had the best price).

If you aren't on the POA or hiking isn't your thing then nevermind. :) But that still stands out as one of the best days ever.

May be this one?

"Richardson Beach Park is a nice little black sand beach that is close to the pier, but not close enough to walk..."

It's part of Richardson Ocean Park. According to Google Earth, is 4.2 mile from pier (10 min by car).

I'll bet that's the one, thanks.

Are you going on the Pride of America? It sounds like the same itinerary we did. The best day ever was the day we did the crater hike and Akaka falls (I think that's what it was called). We had to book it through the ship (and this tour is only available through the POA, not independently), but there were only 8 of us (4 of us being my family) in a mini-van thing. We climbed down into the volcano, across the lava field and back up the other side. I was 53 at the time, overweight and my knees were acting up that trip (but we had walking sticks). It was awesome. The falls afterwards were nice too. Because we were a small group we yelled stop! as we passed a coffee place that grew and roasted it's own beans, so we went for an unscheduled coffee break. We also stopped at the place where they make macadamia Kisses (and we bought tons as they had the best price).

If you aren't on the POA or hiking isn't your thing then nevermind. :) But that still stands out as one of the best days ever.

We will he boarding the POA this Tuesday for the return trip to Hawaii and have no firm plans for Hilo. We have already done the VNP with Jaegger, etc., but we've never done a hike. I did see some hikers down in the crater. They looked like ants. Wondering if this hike might be a possibility for us as we've never done Akaka either. How would you rate this as far as difficulty? Pretty strenuous or just mainly walking an easy trail? Was it really hot down there? How long was the hike portion?

It seems to me the hike took up most of the morning. Then we went to the museum and ate lunch (provided - sandwiches, chips, cookies and drinks) outside the museum.

At lot of it was relatively easy. A couple of times it was a bit strenuous. It's not a paved trail, but walkable. Every now and then we'd have to step down via roots or rocks but it wasn't too hard. Especially with my walking stick. :) It was pretty hot (mostly from exertion) but we got misted on every now and then (that happened at Diamond Head too....we'd be getting really hot and then a light rain would fall on us). Bring lots of water. The guide also gave us cold water and granola bars before we started. We were walking through the rain forest so we weren't in direct sunlight.

It wasn't a race either. We stopped every now and then to look at things and take pictures. I was the slowest one and made it up the other side about 10 minutes after everyone else. Maybe they were just being gracious, but they said they appreciated having a few minutes to catch their breath. :) Walking across the lava field was other-worldly. It was amazing to see the stuff that was growing down there. And even down there, people from other groups who were way ahead of us looked like specks in the distance. But it was a really fun day. We had a fun group and our guide, Dino, was great. They also provided a gluten free lunch for my husband (salad with chicken on it - no dessert though but he had extra chips instead).

It seems to me the hike took up most of the morning. Then we went to the museum and ate lunch (provided - sandwiches, chips, cookies and drinks) outside the museum.

At lot of it was relatively easy. A couple of times it was a bit strenuous. It's not a paved trail, but walkable. Every now and then we'd have to step down via roots or rocks but it wasn't too hard. Especially with my walking stick. :) It was pretty hot (mostly from exertion) but we got misted on every now and then (that happened at Diamond Head too....we'd be getting really hot and then a light rain would fall on us). Bring lots of water. The guide also gave us cold water and granola bars before we started. We were walking through the rain forest so we weren't in direct sunlight.

It wasn't a race either. We stopped every now and then to look at things and take pictures. I was the slowest one and made it up the other side about 10 minutes after everyone else. Maybe they were just being gracious, but they said they appreciated having a few minutes to catch their breath. :) Walking across the lava field was other-worldly. It was amazing to see the stuff that was growing down there. And even down there, people from other groups who were way ahead of us looked like specks in the distance. But it was a really fun day. We had a fun group and our guide, Dino, was great. They also provided a gluten free lunch for my husband (salad with chicken on it - no dessert though but he had extra chips instead).

Thanks for the info!:)

astridwilson - my suggestion would be to arrange for a rental car. If you do this you have many options available, and some depend on the weather. I love VNP but you may not need all day. We always enjoy walking through the Thurston Lava Tube. There is a wonderful lodge, the Kilauea Lodge in Volcano, that has a great restaurant if you have time for lunch. If you are 62 or older you can get a $10 lifetime National Park Pass that will get you into VNP free of charge, and also into other National Parks in Hawaii, including the Place of Refuge near Kona.

Rainbow Falls is in Hilo and very pretty, but one of my favorites has always been Akaka Falls. There is a charge to visit Akaka but it is a nice walk and beautiful waterfall.

The Hilo Botanical Gardens are really nice, and the drive to get there reminds me of a small Road to Hana. I don't know what your interests are but possibly by August there will be paddle board and kayak trips from the Naniloa Hotel.

I suggest picking up food and beverage for your day's adventure so you can stop whenever you want to enjoy a beautiful view or beach. Enjoy your day, Cherie

Have never been to Hawaii except for a cruise, but if I ever do a land vacation, Mauna Loa, the world's largest volcano will be on my bucket list. The observatory is at 9,300 ft but I believe you can go to around 13,000 plus feet. Many people do their own driving, but there are tours as well. Some tours are scheduled for after dark because the view of the night sky from there is dramatically different from what we normally see. This would be a good choice for a non cruise day. Not sure time wise from either Hilo or Kona on a cruise day if it would be feasible. I seem to recall it is usually done from the Kona side, but you don't hear much about it from cruisers, so I doubt it could be done on the cruise.

Hawaii is known for its excellence in water clarity making it's snorkeling and diving the best in the islands. Kona is generally best for this if it interests you. There are night dives offered to see the large Manta Rays.

I think you may mean the observatory on Mauna Kea. Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea are two very different areas. I don't mean to be critical but would hate for someone to plan a drive in the Mauna Loa area thinking they would be able to access the observatory on Mauna Kea. And, there may be new restrictions re visiting the observatory so be sure to check in advance. Cherie

I think you may mean the observatory on Mauna Kea. Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea are two very different areas. I don't mean to be critical but would hate for someone to plan a drive in the Mauna Loa area thinking they would be able to access the observatory on Mauna Kea. And, there may be new restrictions re visiting the observatory so be sure to check in advance. Cherie

There is an observatory at Mauna Loa as well. Just trying to give the OP some ideas of things he may want to look into during the land portion of his vacation. It goes without saying that people should do their own research on anything suggested on these boards.

In the interest of full disclosure, the observatories at Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea are not at all the same. Visitation to Mauna Loa requires an appointment and is not an astronomical observatory like the one at Mauna Kea. :)

Edited by greatlakesgirl

In the interest of full disclosure, the observatories at Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea are not at all the same. Visitation to Mauna Loa requires an appointment and is not an astronomical observatory like the one at Mauna Kea. :)

The observatory on Mauna Loa is actually an "atmospheric" observatory. Mauna Loa takes up more than 50% of the Hawaii land mass. It is partially located within Volcanoes National Park, and Kileaua volcano actually sits on it's slopes, although they are considered seperate volcanoes.

The 17 mile one way drive off Saddle Road takes you up the side of Mauna Loa to the 11,141 ft elevation where the road ends at the weather observatory. This can be done in any car. Tours in a 4 wheel from that point will get you as close as possible to the summit. If you are really adventerous, you can book a Mauna Loa Summit hiking tour and continue to the summit. I believe this requires overnight camping.

Anyone considering this should fully investigate the issues related to possible altitude sickness.

Definitely rent a car, then would drive north to lush rain forested areas just 20 min or so north from Hilo. Drive around a bit to take it in. Then down to Volcano national park. Lots of time there will be well served. Return to Hilo. If time left, can walk about town, see Tsunami museum. Great day.

- Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my question:

Here is the itinerary:

Kahului Maui 2 days

Hilo Big Island 1 day

Kona Big Island 1 day

Nawiliwilli Kauai 2 days

Fly home from East side

we were just on the POA SFO to HNL (same cruise as Punkincc) and the Hawaiian itinerary was the same as yours but POA docked in Maui for one day only (not 2).

Kahului Maui 1 day - we hired a car and drove up to Haleakala - great day - beautiful - take jackets as it's so cold up there! - afterwards we drove to Mama's Fish House for late lunch before returning car to airport and shuttle to ship

Hilo Big Island 1 day - hired a 4WD car (from HARPER'S - a MUST and their service is so impeccable - run by Hawaiians and they were so pleasant) and drove up to Mauna Kea! Another fantastic day and weather - colder than the day before! - shorter drive than to Haleakala - but very steep - you MUST have a 4WD car and Harper's is the only car hire to provide them - afterwards we had time to go to Rainbow Falls and then we did some shopping before returning car to Harper's and shuttle to ship

Kona Big Island 1 day - we had a snorkelling boat trip (non ship tour) and went to 3 different snorkelling spots - fantastic

Nawiliwilli Kauai 2 days - hired a car for 2 days. First day we drove to Waimea Canyon and beyond to the end of the road. Then went to Poipu for the evening - dined at Brennaker's. Next morning we had a Cessna plane tour but it was cancelled so we drove to see Wailua Falls and shopped at Hilo Hattie's

I would suggest you do what we did in Hilo on the ship day and then do the Black Beach (first) and the VNP on your own time and leisure.

Edited by bluesea777