Argh, tipping.

But what is even my confusing have booked on the golden out of beijing in october returning to aus,and have been told by princess that all onboard currency is in aAU,but there is a auto-grat system and a 15% grat on drinks.i fully understand what is required via the auto-grat system and that it can be removed.We prob wont remove and scale back our extra tips.

That sounds weird!

Check in your Princess personalizer for that cruise. Uner the Booking Summary, which is the screen it defaults to, the last line under Ship and Stateroom will tell you the onboard currency. Under Payments and Credits there may be a section for Optional Gratuity Pre Payment which indicates that grats aren't a part of the fare.

Also you may find that the prices of drinks already have the gratuity built into it.

Agreed.

I pre pay gratuity and that's it. No more, no less. To Fly to Europe and have a holiday plus a cruise costs us about $20k for a 6 week holiday and we love it but won't be made to feel guilty or like I need to pay anymore than is necessary (i.e. my choice if I want to tip) because cruise lines expect me to prop up the wages bill.

I cruise MSC YC and it's not required or necessary to tip after you pre pay the "hotel service charges" and actually they discourage you to give more.

Each to there own is how I see it, my holiday, my choices.

Don't be bullied or pressured into anything you don't want to do.

And if you're paying your auto grats that's all anyone can reasonably ask of you. Now I have had staff that MAKE me WANT to tip extra, but that's my decision.

Actually a better way to consider it is when you step on to a USD onboard cost cruise you are effectively leaving Australia/NZ behind you, and entering a US environment, which includes US-style tipping.

Pretty much what I said, except that I didn't specify the US. Wherever you go, you need to research the local customs, but if it's not Australia, they're likely to be different.

Pretty much what I said, except that I didn't specify the US. Wherever you go, you need to research the local customs, but if it's not Australia, they're likely to be different.

Agreed. However I deliberately specified the US as it is important that people here do realise that it is a specific culture whose customs they have to adher to.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

i wish accountants got tipped

If I had taken tips in my former profession, I would have ended up in prison.

Anyway I am off to the 'Land of Tipping' in November/December, I will help the poor souls out with a few of Uncle Sam's greenbacks.

Edited by NSWP

Anyway I am off to the 'Land of Tipping' in November/December, I will help the poor souls out with a few of Uncle Sam's greenbacks.

Funny that Uncle Les, in sme jobs it's a tip, in others it's a Bribe and a quick way to trouble.

Tipping vs Bribing, not much difference according to some laws.:rolleyes:

Funny that Uncle Les, in sme jobs it's a tip, in others it's a Bribe and a quick way to trouble.

As tips are usually at the end of the cruise, there's no expectation there.

In many other non-traditional jobs, people can get tips/gifts as well. It's only when something not entitled to is expected in return that it becomes a bribe... This would be the same on the ship if you said I'll give you a $100 tip - if you don't charge us for the speciality dining or not charge for drinks.

Different things.

Just to enter the debate. Uncle Sam tips the barman on USA of The Seas very well. The barman in return free pours so Sam gets far more alcohol in his drink than I do.

Tip or bribe?

Sam tips well so he gets served before me despite me waiting for a drink longer than him as I don't tip well.

Tip or bribe?

Also I just received an email from RCL that their auto grats are going up again from $12.95 USD to $13.50 USD (around 4% if my maths are correct) as of May 1. This is at least the 2nd if not 3rd grats rise in the last 3 years each well over the CPI. Just get the feeling that they are starting to gouge a little in this area.

Just to enter the debate. Uncle Sam tips the barman on USA of The Seas very well. The barman in return free pours so Sam gets far more alcohol in his drink than I do.

Tip or bribe?

Sam tips well so he gets served before me despite me waiting for a drink longer than him as I don't tip well.

Tip or bribe?

Also I just received an email from RCL that their auto grats are going up again from $12.95 USD to $13.50 USD (around 4% if my maths are correct) as of May 1. This is at least the 2nd if not 3rd grats rise in the last 3 years each well over the CPI. Just get the feeling that they are starting to gouge a little in this area.

Wonder if this has anything to do with people removing the auto grats.

Tip or bribe?

Tip or bribe?

Neither, it's blackmail by the bartender.

'Larceny by an employee' is the charge. (Stealing from your employer.)

From what I have read on CC it's OK in the USA. Not tipping the guy is a capital offence though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Wonder if this has anything to do with people removing the auto grats.

I would have thought increasing them would only be likely to see more people removing them.

For heavens sake if Princess, P&O and Carnival can just wrap it all up in the fare, why can't every one else.

The only worry I have isthat it will start all over again with some unable to restrain themselves from wanting to rip more and more and abusing anyone who doesn't do it their way.

Now I admit to having tipped extra on Princess, but I have never expected others to do it my way.

'Larceny by an employee' is the charge. (Stealing from your employer.)

Sure am, funny though once upon a peanut it was only a crime if it was a Clerk, (Larceny as a Clerk) or straight out Larceny.

From what I have read on CC it's OK in the USA. Not tipping the guy is a capital offence though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

You must have read some of the tipping threads I've read:eek:;)

The cruise is a holiday outside Australia. (We're not talking about Captain cook river cruises from Adelaide.)

Just like other holidays outside Australia, different customs apply. When in Rome....

Ahh..and that is what I meant - albeit in a confusing way - people don't want to tip as we don't tip in Australia..but as you say, they are not travelling in Australia so if tipping is expected/part of the custom, it should be paid..:)

Yep, feeling a bit gouged as well there. And not impressed that they dress it up as "being in line with competition" when they're easily the leaders and there's only one other at that level.

Have just returned from 2 weeks on Celebrity Solstice. There was pressure from anyone on board for additional tips. A please and thank you and a smile went a long way and treating crew members with the same respect that one would want from them was more than sufficient. We were however requested from the top to recognise those who provided exceptional service in the end of cruise report.

Perhaps coming from down under where tipping is not the normal culture made a difference but I don't think so.

Will see what the culture is when we join the Celebrity Constellation in Europe in two weeks time

Understand these are not tips, RCCL can call them tips but they are not. It is a service fee, Royal way of stealing from the passengers to pay for Royal's Staff. This is done company wide.

We as passengers are not responsible for paying the staff that is the job of the cruise lines. And while RCCL wants to take all the benefits of being American, they only want benefits like tips. They do not want to employ US crews, they do not want to follow US Labor laws.

It is time for the company to pay the staffs and stop trying to steal from me. I cay trying because I always remove the daily recommend stealing from my account and tip as I see fit in cash.

Have just returned from 2 weeks on Celebrity Solstice. There was pressure from anyone on board for additional tips. A please and thank you and a smile went a long way and treating crew members with the same respect that one would want from them was more than sufficient. We were however requested from the top to recognise those who provided exceptional service in the end of cruise report.

Perhaps coming from down under where tipping is not the normal culture made a difference but I don't think so.

Will see what the culture is when we join the Celebrity Constellation in Europe in two weeks time

Yep, time will tell. We are on her for the B2B after your cruise. Make sure you say G'day to Sarah (Icat2000) as she will be joining you.:D