Argh, tipping.

I don't normally get involved in tipping threads, tipping is a personal thing in my opinion. But the demands are not only on the ships however...

Reading LA Port information on Princess site (have been there before and will be there in Oct/Nov.) Princess Cruise Lines Quote: 'Porters are not employees of Princess and tipping is customary.' I was also told that by fellow pax in years past, if you don't want your baggage damaged or ending up in LA Harbour tip the Porters at San Pedro - LA World Cruise Centre - $5. So when in Rome etc.

MicCanberra, do you have any popcorn left old son?

Yes, 'When in Rome' certainly applies.

Another batch of popcorn will be required.:cool:

I've patiently read each post as they have arrived and it's nice to see the seasoned regulars performing at their best.

On the subject of bad service , well shirt happens, for whatever reason, but certainly not for the lack of tips. When one considers that the positions on any ship are much sought after, one would realise that the vast majority of the employees won't give bad service as a matter of choice.

Usually it arises from under training, or under staffing, or in some cases as retaliation to some of the pigs for the way they have spoken to or treated the staff, and believe me there have been times when I have observed or overheard things that made me ashamed to be an Aussie.

I lived and worked for many years in SE Asia, and have travelled the world extensively, and the golden rule for good service is politeness and respect for the person serving you.

she ran interference on other passengers when our teens chose to eat in the MDR at our usual reserved table without us one night. She politely saw off those who suggested to them that the Cafe was still open and they should not be taking up a table themselves!

That is weird. Surely it was none of their concern. Well done to her for doing the right thing.

On the RCI cruise we did the MDR staff were touting for high scores on the feedback surveys, to the point of annoyance, but no-one actually asked for tips. The head waiter for our section actually came to our table and gave us a long spiel on how only 10 out of 10 was acceptable, DH had steam coming out of his ears after that! :eek: Unfortunately the survey only allowed the MDR to be rated as a whole, not specifically for dinner, and the service at breakfast and lunch had been quite bad. Our dinner wait team were wonderful and I did make that very clear in the comments at the end of the survey. However that, along with a few other things, have put put RCI at the bottom of our list of cruise lines we'd continue cruising on.

Touting for a good report card is common and understandable. It is the comments on the report card that determine whether or not a contract is renewed. Bad reports a new contract is less likely and vice versa. Similarly our experience is our cabin attendant asks "if you have a problem please come to me first" for a similar reason that if a negative comment goes to Guest relations it reflects back on the crew member. Some crew members are more conscientious than others and we make a point of acknowledging them in our end of cruise report even if we don't cross their palms with silver.

If you ever tip a waiter in a public space ever notice how quick it disappears and receipt of it is down played. Bit of a shame really.

Touting for a good report card is common and understandable. It is the comments on the report card that determine whether or not a contract is renewed. Bad reports a new contract is less likely and vice versa.

I don't have a problem with a quick "if you're happy with my service please say so in the survey" or "I'm aiming to give you 10/10 service" type of comments, but when a head waiter spends five minutes at your table, while you are actually trying to eat, insisting that you give a 10/10 score, then it becomes offensive and, in our case, is more likely to result in a lower score. So far, it's only happened on RCI.

Also people from this part of the world tend not to score at the absolute upper (10) or lower (1) ends of the scale. They will be more likely to score a 9 for excellent service than a 10. DH used to work in analyzing market research results for a big international company, and the results from Australia and NZ always differed from the US expectations due to that issue.

the golden rule for good service is politeness and respect for the person serving you.

Has generally worked for me.

Similarly our experience is our cabin attendant asks "if you have a problem please come to me first" for a similar reason that if a negative comment goes to Guest relations it reflects back on the crew member.

If the staff member doesn't know there is a problem how can they fix it. I always speak to the person concerned first and if it doesn't get resolved move up the line to their supervisor. I don't sweat the small things but big issues need to be resolved even if it means going to Guest services for action. It is no use stewing over it and complaining when it is too late to do anything about it.

Edited by MicCanberra

Celebrity tout for high score reports as well

They all do. The CD's on Holland America and Regent ships we have been on even make a plea during the final disembarkation talk to make sure you mark excellent on your score cards.

All that feedback goes to Head Office and influences the renewal of each staff members contract .

Celebrity tout for high score reports as well

I didn't notice that on our recent Solstice cruise, maybe we were just lucky or perhaps had indicated by our day-to-day manner that we were very happy with the service.

I didn't notice that on our recent Solstice cruise, maybe we were just lucky or perhaps had indicated by our day-to-day manner that we were very happy with the service.

I think it may be a bit of both. I have been asked on some cruises by some of the staff 'To remember them if making any comments on the comment cards or surveys' however, they have done this in a easy going and subtle manner.

Edited by MicCanberra

I actually complained about the fact that Carnival head office only consider 9 or 10 to be acceptable in the end of cruise survey they emailed to me. I told them if they didn't wish to analyse the nuances of a properly calibrated survey just use a binary system - happy or not happy.

I gave 10s for service based on what we were told by the cruise director and while I thought the service was amazing, especially considering the weather conditions (everyone seemed to have a smile for us and be happy to be working, where they must have been miserable) I get twitchy when dealing with absolutes.

It seems that getting legless every day is part of the cruising lifestyle. Then again if I came across another bargain I may go.

You are obviously mixing with the wrong crowd!! Come up to the Gym -- not many drunks there!!!

On the RCI cruise we did the MDR staff were touting for high scores on the feedback surveys, to the point of annoyance, but no-one actually asked for tips. The head waiter for our section actually came to our table and gave us a long spiel on how only 10 out of 10 was acceptable, DH had steam coming out of his ears after that! :eek: Unfortunately the survey only allowed the MDR to be rated as a whole, not specifically for dinner, and the service at breakfast and lunch had been quite bad. Our dinner wait team were wonderful and I did make that very clear in the comments at the end of the survey. However that, along with a few other things, have put put RCI at the bottom of our list of cruise lines we'd continue cruising on.

My experience is that (with some few exceptions) cruiseship staff are more interested in getting their next contract than they are with getting tips for this particular cruise. Mostly - they are happy with their circumstances (hard tiring never-ending work) but they know that they are doing well compared to what they could do in their own country (remembering that many come from small villages/towns).

46 days recently on Sun Princess - and I was left with an overall impression of high morale (but often extreme tiredness) amongst the staff

I don't normally get involved in tipping threads, tipping is a personal thing in my opinion. But the demands are not only on the ships however...

Reading LA Port information on Princess site (have been there before and will be there in Oct/Nov.) Princess Cruise Lines Quote: 'Porters are not employees of Princess and tipping is customary.' I was also told that by fellow pax in years past, if you don't want your baggage damaged or ending up in LA Harbour tip the Porters at San Pedro - LA World Cruise Centre - $5. So when in Rome etc.

MicCanberra, do you have any popcorn left old son?

Les - I slung the wharfside porter at San Francisco $20USD -- just to make sure that our luggage got good treatment - I think that it was probably "over the top" - but the Porter seemed very thankful and keen to take our two bags :)

You are obviously mixing with the wrong crowd!! Come up to the Gym -- not many drunks there!!!

Or on Princess Cruise ships you can go to the daily meeting with 'Friends of Dr Bob and Bill W.' No drunks in there. To be honest, they do a good job those fellas, good support for those in need.

Les - I slung the wharfside porter at San Francisco $20USD -- just to make sure that our luggage got good treatment - I think that it was probably "over the top" - but the Porter seemed very thankful and keen to take our two bags :)

At that rate, he probably wanted to know if you had any more for him to take!

That was a generous tip.

Apparently you only have to tip or say thank you if your server is "normal"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/78097766/customer-refuse-to-leave-for-waitress-because-she-didnt-look-normal

not sure if someone being of a different race to yourself means that they are not normal but studies certainly show a racial bias in tipping behaviours.

Edited by Adidas4fun

Apparently you only have to tip or say thank you if your server is "normal"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/life/78097766/customer-refuse-to-leave-for-waitress-because-she-didnt-look-normal

not sure if someone being of a different race to yourself means that they are not normal but studies certainly show a racial bias in tipping behaviours.

Obviously not enough of a Zombie.

$20 tip to the Yankee Porters? Barry, by jove you are a well heeled Aussie Cunarder. Carry on old chap.

Reading LA Port information on Princess site (have been there before and will be there in Oct/Nov.) Princess Cruise Lines Quote: 'Porters are not employees of Princess and tipping is customary.' I was also told that by fellow pax in years past, if you don't want your baggage damaged or ending up in LA Harbour tip the Porters at San Pedro - LA World Cruise Centre - $5. So when in Rome etc.?

Should that actually be called tipping, or extortion?

That's the problem with tips, eventually you get to the stage where you have to pay extra to get someone to do the job they are being paid to do.