empress first 6 sailings canelled

baron9

I just checked for the email from them to tell me that my cruise is cancelled. I didn't receive one!

If I didn't read these boards I wonder when I would have found out about it.

Nothing today from Royal, no phone call or email.

Now that's a frightening thought. A lot of people simply aren't "plugged in". Imagine showing up to the pier because you were never told?

Another big winner by rccl. They knowingly were too aggressive in booking these cruises considering the ships upgrades. They rolled the dice and lost. And the customers pay. Typical ! Lousy compensation for all of the inconvenience and aggravation for thousands of passengers

If you dislike RCI so much why don't you just move on?

This is an awful situation and it sounds like lots of people are unhappy (and rightfully so). But you just want to stir the pot.

I had booked this cruise for the April 11 sailing; after looking at the amenities and the ports to visit, my husband and I were not too thrilled, as this was our first cruise. So my husband suggested that I pick Navigator of the Seas. I cancelled our Empress booking back in January and boy am I glad we did!

Which date?

April 7. Perhaps they are working in hitting all the TA's first and by date of sailing but they have had 5 days at the minimum to start to get it all ready if not more, Monday is when they marked all the sailings in question as sold out.

I will never know though as I have booked a different sailing, but it is a little scary if I didn't know about this forum and not be notified today as the options in the same timeframe are probably all sold out by now.

So sorry to all those who are affected by the cancellations. I would be incredibly upset had my vacation been turned upside down like this, with such short notice. This is one of the reasons why I never book non refundable hotels and get flight insurance.

Royal Caribbean has spent quite a bit of money on compensation in 2016 so far. I hope they are learning from their mistakes.

I just checked for the email from them to tell me that my cruise is cancelled. I didn't receive one!

TA after 3 hours finally got through, agent said "Majesty or refund" wouldnt even price out Navi switch like other have reported.

Great customer service.

That STINKS. For both of you. :(

Edited by Merion_Mom

TA after 3 hours finally got through, agent said "Majesty or refund" wouldnt even price out Navi switch like other have reported.

Great customer service.

I am not sure what you tried to do but if you meant switch to other sailings for the same price nobody got to do that.

Our switch cost us a great deal more money so it wasn't a switch it was a change with all costs associated with the change.

The change wasn't in the budget but at least we are still getting a vacation and going on a nice ship but don't be mistaken it did in fact cost our group allot of money.

If this is what you also tried to do then that really does suck that they wouldn't entertain that.

Honestly, in the situation they've put me in, it comes down to the fact that I'm a student, and I only have so much credit available to me. If I had the full funds available to me I would be booking a Norwegian Cruise right now.

Yes they put a lot of people in this same situation. I just looked and my credit card bill for when I booked the cruise is due now. I wish I knew how much time they would refund us. I have heard between 2-3 days to 4-6 weeks. Are they going to send a check to us or are they just going to credit our credit cards?

We called yesterday and after 2 hours we asked for the supervisor to call us. Still waiting on that call. Guess we will be calling again on Monday morning.

I am also sending an email to corp office telling them we aren't pleased with their handling of this.

So what are you doing instead?

Right now nothing! Guess I am staying home and doing spring cleaning. I have always wanted to do that on my vacation. :) My daughter has the week off from work, no track meets, and a week of not so good relaxation because my girls will fight being at home.

Even going to the beach for a few days will cost me more money. It is high demand season and rooms are limited for that week.

I would just change to the other sailings but those time frames don't work for the summer. Between high school graduation, summer camp schedules and a trip to Europe it just won't be happening on the Empress of the Seas.

Wow that would have been a surprise to show up in Miami and no ship! I wonder how many still don't know their cruise has been cancelled.

Right now nothing! Guess I am staying home and doing spring cleaning. I have always wanted to do that on my vacation. :) My daughter has the week off from work, no track meets, and a week of not so good relaxation because my girls will fight being at home.

Even going to the beach for a few days will cost me more money. It is high demand season and rooms are limited for that week.

I would just change to the other sailings but those time frames don't work for the summer. Between high school graduation, summer camp schedules and a trip to Europe it just won't be happening on the Empress of the Seas.

what about your flights?

We booked April 25th when the cruises were first offered. I really feel bad for all those affected. Many airlines charge more than $200 for changes/cancellations and many hotel rooms are non-refundable.

As for what happened, RCCL needs to be transparent. The statement they gave was written by some PR person who uses many words to say nothing. I think it is only fair to give the real story. They might even find that folks would be more accepting if they knew the truth.

This is a lesson that RCI has had many opportunities to learn in the past. Will they ever get it?

No, that's not all you can say. You don't work for RCI. If you know something, say it. If you don't want to share perhaps stop reminding people about it:rolleyes:

You might notice that this happens periodically around here. Posters like to make it known that they have inside information but won't say what it is or how they know. They might as well just not post at all as it doesn't add anything to the conversation.

I have been looking at the workers of the empress on Facebook. People are in route to the ship right now getting ready for it to leave. Posting pictures and talking about it. There's no reason this ship should be delayed for six more sailings if there are all ready to go. Unless the flights are already booked and the workers are going to sit in court with it while something is getting fixed or whatever and. So if you find any pictures on Facebook please post clear pictures so everybody else can look at them and see them some people posted pictures they were too small.

Edited by CotonSocks

This is a lesson that RCI has had many opportunities to learn in the past. Will they ever get it?

The company is driven by sales, if the customers allow this to just happen then no they will not get it and change. But if it affects the bottom line, and the stock price is down 25% this year then maybe they will change.

But understand the change will be to protect profits.... not to help customers.

My apologies; I did not consider that.

Again, I am on your side. I hope Royal steps up and makes you whole here, or goes a step beyond.

I am sympathetic to your situation. I dislike NCL since freestyle took effect. I don't blame you though if RCI is not willing to accommodate you on Celebrity even though they are the parent line that operates Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not mad at you guys, just really frustrated/disgusted by this situation. I sailed on NCL in 2010, their proximity to myself in Florida and the Open Bar are things that might lure me in. I'm accepting the fact that I'm going to be just canceling with RCI and hoping that I can salvage my vacation. At this point the less money I spend, with amenities, the better.

I have been looking at the workers of the empress on Facebook. People are in route to the ship right now getting ready for it to leave. Posting pictures and talking about it. There's no reason this ship should be delayed for six more sailings if there are all ready to go. Unless the flights are already booked and the workers are going to sit in court with it while something is getting fixed or whatever and. So if you find any pictures on Facebook please post clear pictures so everybody else can look at them and see them some people posted pictures they were too small.

How are you finding the pictures? I've searched but can't find anything from today.

This is just purely speculation.

With the information we have that could be put in the "facts" column:

1. She is floating and out of dry dock

2. The CD knew nothing about it (face book posts)

3. The crew seems pretty unaware (face book posts)

I doubt it is structural at all. She isn't finished yet, but watching YouTube videos they rarely are they put finishing touches on during sea trials, if a new boat, on the voyage to the home port. Although the Empress isn't "new", since they had a week of transit they probably left a week of work to do.

So assuming she is sea worthy, that leaves labor. That's real bad news. The crew isn't unionized but I'm sure the contractors are, if there is a strike on going or up coming, or even a work dispute, there is no way to predict how long it will last.

RCCL already canceled 6 sailings, so either labor issues got resolved or that is how long they think it will take to bring in "scabs" and have them get the work done.

Finally got through this morning. Everything on Majesty was full, so we just cancelled.

I figured space would be tight as the only alternative ship to be offered was Majesty. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk