Making a kids first cruise memorable

ahillig1

I'm taking my kids on their first cruise in just over a year and want to make it really special because it'll be about the halfway point in my husbands (their stepdads) deployment. They'll be 9 & 13 when we sail, my youngest is very excited, he cannot wait for Camp Ocean! My oldest, well, she's your typical teen with teenage angst and won't admit she's excited.

What are some things you did to make a kids first cruise amazing? I plan on having some of the Cherry On Top goodies delivered to the room so they're there when we arrive and of course they'll get the bottomless bubbles. Also, I'm thinking of letting them decorate the door and possibly some of the room too.

Our kids first cruise was a three day repo LA-Vancouver. Hit heavy seas. They spent the whole time in the pool and enjoyed every minute of it.

That doesn't help too much but the point is, just being on the ship is enough to make it memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They also offer Bon Voyage room decorations that should be in the room when you board. We have never ordered any from Carnival but did it for my sons birthday on another line and he loved it. I have never ordered from the Fun Shops but when my DD6 tried Chocolate covered strawberries for the first time on Valentines day and LOVED them, I couldn't resist.

I am not sure if you celebrate Christmas but I buy at least one Christmas ornament on every cruise. Either from a port or from the gift shop. We always reminisce about our travels when we decorate the tree every year.

I always let them pick out a souvenir.

If it isn't out of your budget, do a "once in a lifetime" type of excursion. We did a dolphin swim with our kids and it was so cool. Bought the video, etc. They can be pricey though.

Enjoy. I hope they love it as much as my kids do.

Edited by amyh13

My first thought re: the Cherry on Top goodies is that they won't really appreciate it. If it's there when they first walk into the cabin, they'll just think it's part of the standard setup. Maybe have it delivered mid-week?

Can the 13-year-old be bribed into doing your excursion and/or port research? What is there to do? What sounds like fun? What's the weather like? What's the best beach? Maybe that would make her feel some ownership of your activities.

Make them go to the first night Camp get-together. Not negotiable. Then they'll make a new friend. The camp counselors do a pretty good job of breaking the ice & introducing the kids on that first night.

One other silly thought: have a "Secret Sign" for when you see them on-board, hanging out with their new friends. Like running your hand through your hair, that means "I see you! I love you! I am Cruise Mom of the Year for not embarrassing you in front of your new friends!" Touching your nose might mean something else. And then there's walking on tiptoes. Have fun with it!

They also offer Bon Voyage room decorations that should be in the room when you board. We have never ordered any from Carnival but did it for my sons birthday on another line and he loved it. I have never ordered from the Fun Shops but when my DD6 tried Chocolate covered strawberries for the first time on Valentines day and LOVED them, I couldn't resist.

I am not sure if you celebrate Christmas but I buy at least one Christmas ornament on every cruise. Either from a port or from the gift shop. We always reminisce about our travels when we decorate the tree every year.

I always let them pick out a souvenir.

If it isn't out of your budget, do a "once in a lifetime" type of excursion. We did a dolphin swim with our kids and it was so cool. Bought the video, etc. They can be pricey though.

Enjoy. I hope they love it as much as my kids do.

Oh Christmas ornaments are a must! They get one every year from me that they can take onto their own home when it's time for them to fly the coop. And I'll get the ships ornament as well.

I'll definitely check out the excursions when we get a little closer to sailing. They love being beach bums and playing in the sand but maybe they'll change their minds closer to the trip.

My hope is to eventually take one cruise with the hubby and one with the kids each year.

Thanks for that! I can provide enough snark for my kids on their vacation.

If you set the initial sailing bar very high, the kids may expect more of the same or better next cruise.

I took my grandkids on Disney for their 1st cruise and l heard lots of questions like "Where's the Mickey soap" and "When are the fireworks tonight" from them on their 2nd cruise (Carnival).

I had tried to lower their expectations prior to Carnival, and I guess they were just underwhelmed.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by evandbob

I think some sail away decorations would be fun as well as some new clothes for your teenage daughter. I would also see what they want to do for excursions to get them involved in the process. I would definitely make sure you get family portraits done as they are a wonderful momento. Maybe bring a flat Stanley so step dad could be in attendance in some of the pictures.?

I am another, however, who thinks the ship, the ports and the overall experience will contribute enough of a wow factor that not much else needs to occur.

I would suggest that you treat yourself to an amazing spa event, as you are the one keeping things together at home. I have seen how hard my niece works when her husband is on deployment. Military wives are amazing.

Edited by MommaBear55

My first thought re: the Cherry on Top goodies is that they won't really appreciate it. If it's there when they first walk into the cabin, they'll just think it's part of the standard setup. Maybe have it delivered mid-week?

Can the 13-year-old be bribed into doing your excursion and/or port research? What is there to do? What sounds like fun? What's the weather like? What's the best beach? Maybe that would make her feel some ownership of your activities.

Make them go to the first night Camp get-together. Not negotiable. Then they'll make a new friend. The camp counselors do a pretty good job of breaking the ice & introducing the kids on that first night.

One other silly thought: have a "Secret Sign" for when you see them on-board, hanging out with their new friends. Like running your hand through your hair, that means "I see you! I love you! I am Cruise Mom of the Year for not embarrassing you in front of your new friends!" Touching your nose might mean something else. And then there's walking on tiptoes. Have fun with it!

I'm trying to get the oldest to plan with me! I want them to share as much of the planning as possible with me so they don't feel like I'm pushing stuff on them. We will definitely research the ports and what there is to offer food, beach, shopping, and exploring wise.

I like the idea of the secret sign! We'll have to come up with something, my oldest claims she's embarrassed by me around her peers but secretly she also enjoys it. Thanks for the tip about the first camp night! My oldest rolled her eyes at me when I told her about the club for kids her age. My youngest was all over it and cannot wait to go the minute we board.

I'm trying to get the oldest to plan with me! I want them to share as much of the planning as possible with me so they don't feel like I'm pushing stuff on them. We will definitely research the ports and what there is to offer food, beach, shopping, and exploring wise.

I like the idea of the secret sign! We'll have to come up with something, my oldest claims she's embarrassed by me around her peers but secretly she also enjoys it. Thanks for the tip about the first camp night! My oldest rolled her eyes at me when I told her about the club for kids her age. My youngest was all over it and cannot wait to go the minute we board.

Go ahead & agree with the teenager that the camp is probably very lame, for someone as sophisticated as her. :rolleyes: But tell her to go the first night, because she'll meet others who feel exactly the same way. (And then they'll love it for the rest of the week. :D )

I can't say I have any experience in what to do since the cruise we are going on later this year will be our first for the entire family. (Aside from my multiple deployments on aircraft carriers MANY years ago ;) ). But what we did to get "buy in" if you will, was have each family member pick an excursion. Since our cruise has 4 ports, we all picked one day. My wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary on one of the days in port. So she picked that day. My kids, 15 and 13 each picked something to do on other days and I picked the last day. That way everyone has something they specifically chose to make that day a little more special. Hope this helps.

I think some sail away decorations would be fun as well as some new clothes for your teenage daughter. I would also see what they want to do for excursions to get them involved in the process. I would definitely make sure you get family portraits done as they are a wonderful momento. Maybe bring a flat Stanley so step dad could be in attendance in some of the pictures.?

I am another, however, who thinks the ship, the ports and the overall experience will contribute enough of a wow factor that not much else needs to occur.

I would suggest that you treat yourself to an amazing spa event, as you are the one keeping things together at home. I have seen how hard my niece works when her husband is on deployment. Military wives are amazing.

LOVE the flat stanley idea! My husband is so bummed he won't be here for it, but he would love getting pictures like that in his care packages! I love Project Life and have a small 4x4 album I'm going to send right after he leaves and I'll send him pictures he can put in the album throughout the time he's gone so this way he can feel like part of the action, his biggest fear is being forgotten while he's gone.

The clothes are a must! They'll each get a new swimsuit too as I'm sure they'll grow a lot between now and then.

I took my grandkids on Disney for their 1st cruise and l heard lots of questions like "Where's the Mickey soap" and "When are the fireworks tonight" from them on their 2nd cruise (Carnival).

I was initially going to do Disney but a) I would want my husband with us and b) it's crazy expensive! I know mine are going to be really excited about the towel animals so hopefully that'll keep them excited during the trip.

My son collects the ship models. He has his sign & sail card displayed next to each ship model he sailed on shelves in his room. Freedom has 2 sign & sail cards since we sailed her 2x.

Good suggestion! My son would be all over this!

Don't be snarky. That is obviously not what the op wants to hear.

She wants to know what she can BUY them to make it a better experience.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Don't be snarky. That is obviously not what the op wants to hear.

She wants to know what she can BUY them to make it a better experience.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Nothing in my OP mentioned that everything had to be bought. If I want to spend $20 to have a room treat delivered knowing my kids will love it then it's well worth it to see their eyes light up at that surprise. I'm not one to give into my kids every last waking desire and I know that's something they'll remember for a while.

Last time I cruised was about 20 years ago so a lot has changed since then. My mom gave me and my sister each a roll of quarters and said "don't spend it all on the first day" then basically left us to our devices and only included us on port days. I loved the cruise but we did everything based on what my parents wanted. I don't want my kids to have that experience which is why I was asking what I could do to make it memorable. Memorable doesn't always equal spending tons of money. I've gotten lots of great ideas, none of which were contributed to by you.

Don't feel bad if they have no interest in helping with the planning. My kids and niece have never really wanted to be involved. Whenever I ask them to look at stuff with me or help with a decision they say they know I will choose something they will like. You know your kids and can plan excursions that you will all enjoy.

Maybe instead of having something in the room for them you can give them a Carnival gift card that they can load into their own S&S accounts and then spend at Cherry On Top, the cafe or on a "fun" beverage like a virgin pina colada.

I agree with the other poster who said the trip is it's own reward as well. The fun you will have and the memories you make will far outweigh anything else.

......... My mom gave me and my sister each a roll of quarters and said "don't spend it all on the first day" then basically left us to our devices and only included us on port days........

Can do something similar these days- have their onboard account set up as cash. Obviously pay for their gratuities. Could give them the cash and set it up themselves at Guest Services.

We got our kids the soda card. After that not much more to buy.

About the 'lame' camp. It comes down to the other kids in the group. Make the first meeting a must as that's when groups start to form.

Edited by SadieN

I'm taking my kids on their first cruise in just over a year and want to make it really special because it'll be about the halfway point in my husbands (their stepdads) deployment. They'll be 9 & 13 when we sail, my youngest is very excited, he cannot wait for Camp Ocean! My oldest, well, she's your typical teen with teenage angst and won't admit she's excited.

What are some things you did to make a kids first cruise amazing? I plan on having some of the Cherry On Top goodies delivered to the room so they're there when we arrive and of course they'll get the bottomless bubbles. Also, I'm thinking of letting them decorate the door and possibly some of the room too.

I would, if the budget allows, let them pick an excursion for the family. I haven't checked you itinerary, but we did the Amazing Race in Cozumel when our kids were 15 and 10. We all had a great time on the race. That and the family comedian were about the only time the older boy spent with us, when we didn't specifically require it.

What are some things you did to make a kids first cruise amazing?

Mainly, I took them on one. Something I don't think any of their friends had ever done and something most kids in general don't get the opportunity to do.

Their first cruise was a 4 day on the Sensation, which followed 3 days at Disney. They were grinning from ear to ear and pretty thankful, which made us feel good. I actually didn't do much extra. When we took this cruise, I hadn't been on one since 3 years prior so ordering room goodies, etc. didn't really come to mind. I've done more in that way on subsequent cruises. Probably the best prep was reminding them about etiquette at the buffet, etc. and introducing them ahead of time to camp carnival.

I like the idea of room decorations. I was surprised with my room being decorated last year and couldn't believe how much I loved it!:)

Go ahead & agree with the teenager that the camp is probably very lame, for someone as sophisticated as her. :rolleyes: But tell her to go the first night, because she'll meet others who feel exactly the same way. (And then they'll love it for the rest of the week. :D )

Love this! I remember being a teenage girl and then having my own...

A 13 yr old girl is quite frankly a 13 yr old girl. This reminds me of that cruise commercial a few years ago, I think it was for Disney but I could be wrong, but it was of a family vacationing and the father voiced over about capturing the most elusive of all things...a teenage girl's smile. Don't stress over it, they will have fun. Let them each pick an excursion and hope there will be some cute boys on board.

Edited by Adge01

I took them in this great big ship to tropical locations where we went snorkeling.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing we just took our two boys 4 and 8 this past December. We did nothing different than when me and my wife Cruise but (judging by my boys begging to go back to camp ocean, and yelling when is the next Cruise) I am sure my 8 year old will remember swimming with a sting Ray, and my 4 year old remember burying daddy for a while.

I did not see this comment as "snarky"

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

How about pick one morning or afternoon where each of the kids gets to decide what the "family" does? Maybe it's the pool, or bingo, or playing one of the board games in the card room....

One evening where there's a movie showing, spend some time snuggled under a blanket on the pool deck and watch a dive in movie. Bring some popcorn salt or flavoured popcorn salt to spice up the popcorn.

Loosen up the soda rules. One time having a coke with breakfast won't rot their teeth :p.

Make dinner together the one "must happen" event.

And yes, push the first night at Circle C for the 13 year old. I sailed with my 16 year old god daughter and that was one of my requirements for her. If she hadn't liked it (she loved it) then she didn't have to keep going but night 1 was not an optional event for her.

My girls are a couple years younger than your kids, but we have made some traditions/special memories....

we buy door decorations, dollar store has great "island theme" decor, and poster putty and 3M hooks, and they get to decorate our door on the first night

Every night in the dining room, we order a dish that none of us had ever tried (like shark, duck, pumpkin soup, etc) and then we all have to take a bite. We've done this 3 cruises in a row and are running out of options!

Towel animal folding class! And then I bought the book so we make towel animals at home to remember our cruise

We buy the cheap watches at the gift shop (or other bargain accessories for fun)

I let them order non alcoholic drinks (like strawberry daq) in a coconut or blowfish, or pineapple (or whatever souvenir cup is selling for the day)

watching movies on the dive in theater, complete with popcorn and drinks

getting fancy and going to tea time

ice cream for breakfast!

being allowed to go to Cherry on Top and fill a bag of whatever candy they want

if you have a balcony.....we sit outside every morning and have room service coffee/tea and talk about our day ahead and we sit out there every night and talk about what adventures we had that day. One of us sits on the little table and we take the ottoman out there, so there is room for 4.

I had the chocolate funship delivered to the room on our last cruise and it was so cool looking, we didn't even eat it!

...OK why are most of my memories about food/drinks?? :D