10-Yr Anniversary (March 23rd): Fire on Star Princess

drumline13

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/docs/documents/Starprincess.pdf

And here's the official report.

"probably" a discarded cigarette end, which blew onto toweling left on the balcony.

Probably. Which doesn't mean absolutely. Which means they don't really know.

I don't hear any of you complaining about the jerk who left his towels on the balcony. Which has always been against cruise ship rules.

Just whining again about smoking, which wasn't against the rules until recently. Really recently, so obviously that wasn't the reason that Princess and then finally Carnival removed smoking from balconies.

Just thought someone needed to throw the truth back out here. This thread was getting deep with the other stuff.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/docs/documents/Starprincess.pdf

And here's the official report.

"probably" a discarded cigarette end, which blew onto toweling left on the balcony.

Probably. Which doesn't mean absolutely. Which means they don't really know.

I don't hear any of you complaining about the jerk who left his towels on the balcony. Which has always been against cruise ship rules.

Just whining again about smoking, which wasn't against the rules until recently. Really recently, so obviously that wasn't the reason that Princess and then finally Carnival removed smoking from balconies.

Just thought someone needed to throw the truth back out here. This thread was getting deep with the other stuff.

Are you kidding me?? This is an unnecessary comment. Toweling didn't ignite itself. A cigarette likely did that and maybe it wasn't even due to toweling, perhaps it just smoldered on the floor matting and caught that on fire. It is the most likely assumption by trained fire investigators and NTSB that this file was a result of a burning cigarette butt thrown overboard.

This is a very nice thread with someone who experienced first hand the scariest thing at sea and is taking the opportunity to laude the wonderful crew. Please don't spoil it

We leave the towels on the lounge chairs. They are nice to have on the chairs in many ways. Your skin doesn't stick to the plastic seats, your clothing doesn't get soot and dirt on them, it keeps the chairs dry. I haven't seen any "rules" that says otherwise nor do I care. We also hang our wet bathing suits on a hanger to dry out on our balcony. Carnival followed Princess on the "no smoking on balconies" because of many complaints from people smelling the smoke. We didn't cruise Carnival for a long time due to the cigarette smoke. Carnival listened and we came back to cruising on Carnival. Smokers are still livid that they can't smoke on their balcony.

Thank you OP for bringing the anniversary to the Star fire to light again. I know it was an horrifying experience. During every muster drill they pound the fire thing home, and I know the crew takes it very seriously.

Edited by elliair

Are you kidding me?? This is an unnecessary comment. Toweling didn't ignite itself. A cigarette likely did that and maybe it wasn't even due to toweling, perhaps it just smoldered on the floor matting and caught that on fire. It is the most likely assumption by trained fire investigators and NTSB that this file was a result of a burning cigarette butt thrown overboard.

This is a very nice thread with someone who experienced first hand the scariest thing at sea and is taking the opportunity to laude the wonderful crew. Please don't spoil it

Thanks for the compliment!

And yes, as you noted...The purpose of this thread wasn't to start an argument as to how the fire started. Our best information comes from those who were hired to figure it out.

By the way, the balcony floors, dividers, chairs, and tables were all flammable during our cruise. From what I heard, these items are made from different materials now. So, apparently anything on the balcony could have caught fire.

We leave the towels on the lounge chairs. They are nice to have on the chairs in many ways. Your skin doesn't stick to the plastic seats, your clothing doesn't get soot and dirt on them, it keeps the chairs dry. I haven't seen any "rules" that says otherwise nor do I care. We also hang our wet bathing suits on a hanger to dry out on our balcony. Carnival followed Princess on the "no smoking on balconies" because of many complaints from people smelling the smoke. We didn't cruise Carnival for a long time due to the cigarette smoke. Carnival listened and we came back to cruising on Carnival. Smokers are still livid that they can't smoke on their balcony.

Thank you OP for bringing the anniversary to the Star fire to light again. I know it was an horrifying experience. During every muster drill they pound the fire thing home, and I know the crew takes it very seriously.

You're welcome! And, I can second the fact that cigarette smoke smell can be extremely strong on the balcony...and blows back into any rooms that have their slider open...

I don't think it was unnecessary at all....it was NEVER proven or verified a cigarette started that fire and the anti smoking crowd here on CC has tried to promote that theory from DAY 1 since the fire was reported and as seen by comments here, they STILL ARE.

I don't smoke BUT I do have an issue with those who take tragedies and try to spin them to promote their own agenda regardless of the issue. Bottom line is Princess does not know what started the fire then and to this day they still don't.

I don't think it was unnecessary at all....it was NEVER proven or verified a cigarette started that fire and the anti smoking crowd here on CC has tried to promote that theory from DAY 1 since the fire was reported and as seen by comments here, they STILL ARE.

I don't smoke BUT I do have an issue with those who take tragedies and try to spin them to promote their own agenda regardless of the issue. Bottom line is Princess does not know what started the fire then and to this day they still don't.

Let's play the law of averages. My guess is the a burning device is more likely the cause of a fire than . . . Oh, nothing. I have a friend who is an NTSB investigator so I actually believe the outcome of the official investigation over the random person who says, "hey, maybe it wasn't a burning cigarette butt brown overboard."

Again, thank you OP you and the wonderful Princess crew.

Wow! 10 years has passed since the fire on the star princess. I was also on that cruise with my family. I wrote a first person report as well. If you want you can search use mg my name for it. We have the MAIB report from the event. The conclusion was that it started with a cigarette smoldering in towels on a balcony. The plastic furniture and flooring ignited and fueled by wind spread quickly to other bAlconies. Since this event sprinklers have been added to Val the balconies and the floring and furniture have been changed.

Wow! 10 years has passed since the fire on the star princess. I was also on that cruise with my family. I wrote a first person report as well. If you want you can search use mg my name for it. We have the MAIB report from the event. The conclusion was that it started with a cigarette smoldering in towels on a balcony. The plastic furniture and flooring ignited and fueled by wind spread quickly to other bAlconies. Since this event sprinklers have been added to Val the balconies and the floring and furniture have been changed.

Glad to hear another first person chime in. I hope you are still cruising?

Edited by Luvmyrotti

If nothing else came of this the awful plastic furniture Princess used to use is a goner! :D

Did your room get damaged? Hope all of you were ok! Do you remember what room and/or muster station you were in? I believe we were Aloha 259...

Hi everyone,

Today is the 10-yr anniversary of the Star Princess fire. I can't believe how quickly this time has flown by. I hope this posts finds all my March 2006 Star Princess cruise mates doing well!

I dug up my post from March 2006, which I posted a few days after returning home from the fire cruise (see below)...

Thank-you for re-posting this. I had read about this, but never saw a first hand account.

Thank-you for re-posting this. I had read about this, but never saw a first hand account.

No problem! I'm happy that I was able to dig up my original post, as some of the smaller details of the whole incident had started to fade. One other person on this thread was on the Star during the fire, but I'm surprised I haven't seen more people yet...

The cause of the fire was a cigarette that was tossed overboard but blew back onto a balcony and smoldered. This is why Princess (and now Carnival), has banned smoking on balconies. During muster, they really stress the ban on smoking on balconies. I posted a picture of the Star and the damage that was done a while back. For some reason the mods deleted it. But, if you google it you'll see the damage done.

The people that sneak a cigarette in there cabins or on there balcony should all read this. I have read on Cruiise Critic that more and more people are smoking in there cabins and balconies. And there getting away with it. I have never seen anyone smoking on there balconies. Hope I never do!!!

Tony

My DW and I were on the Sta ( port side mid ships ) in 2012 when we found a cigarette butt on our balcony. We called our Stewart to ask about it, the next thing we know Security officers arrived, and took it, I guess for evidence. I don't know if they where it came from or not. Princess doesn't full around, they mean it when they say "No Smoking." It makes staying on the balcony, so much nicer.

Thank you op and SadieN for referral to this excellent post. I am so comforted with how well Princess did and continued good reports about Princess. I have had 6 cruises and one overnight ferry cruise total (over 36 years lol)...and stay on here to keep the dream alive and informed on what is up for my usual need to have last minute bookings. That and I LOVE travel and cruising. One of my very favorite cruises I hope to repeat soon is Princess. Princess and Hal, were both favorites, but neither were a full week. Service on all my cruises were a different level of good to excellent except for my last Carnival cruise...which was fair due to less staff in dining...and downgrade noticed of food on that trip..just before ship was moving to Australia..the Spirit 2012.

I remember this fire but did not study it as that one cruise was a heavenly Travel agent familiarization cruise and I was the lucky friend of TA...and way before the fact. So we also had extra spoiled perks of cocktail parties and free drinks and wine of premium quality the entire cruise and tours of some places on the ship...It was in a word HEAVEN. The shows and music too and we had a mini-suite to boot...fabulous rooms. Thank you so much for this reminder and post..my cruise was 2001 or 2 on the Star...oh the spa too..there was just so much..it was heaven. The dining was rotating with different staff of the ship and Princess Management...they made us feel like queens too. Thanks so much for this post. I think nothing makes or breaks a cruise more than the staff...you can be on a medium older ship and the staff makes it a 5 star experience. This happened for me on the Carnival Paradise in 2009..i.e.5 star service...making the trip as special as my Princess one with much less fancy as per the ship. Very impressive reminder OP, of what they do and did for you. And the relative safety and wonder of cruising. Thank you.

Edited by sjn911

We were on the lido deck. We could see the fire from our balcony.

Thanks for your report. Sobering reminder of safety/fear issues with fire on the ship.

Good to hear that smoking is taken seriously on Princess now.

The people that sneak a cigarette in there cabins or on there balcony should all read this. I have read on Cruiise Critic that more and more people are smoking in there cabins and balconies. And there getting away with it. I have never seen anyone smoking on there balconies. Hope I never do!!!

Tony

I haven't seen it but maybe 1 time since the ban. I'm not a smoker and a $250 fine each time would be enough to deter me from doing it.

P.S. I went over to Youtube and watched 2 videos of the fire. I agree smokers should watch the video.

Edited by elliair