Why You Need Travel Insurance!!! (My Story on the Crown)

SakeDad

And, onboard, the medical center charges typically are charged to your onboard account, which, usually, must be settled before debarking the ship. Unless you make other (private) arrangements with the ship/cruise line at the time of the event.

So if you can't pay the medical services part of your onboard account what are they going to do?

Make you stay on board until you can pay?

Sounds good to me.

One more story...

My daughter and her husband purchased airline tickets to fly back east for a wedding. I told her when she purchased them to buy trip insurance. She was reluctant to put the extra money out but she did purchase the insurance. Yesterday her husband blew his knee out. He's self employed and will require surgery. Obviously they can't go on the trip, however, she will get her $1,500 she paid in airline tickets back. She is glad she took my advice. Stuff happens no matter what your age or how good of shape you're in.

One of the few times your daughter listened to you?😏

It's beyond my comprehension how someone would have a credit card with that high a credit line. I certainly don't know anyone that has that! Well, actually I have an older couple friends who might have that kind of limit.

I think you would be very surprised who has how high of a credit limit some of your friends have. Just because you see how someone looks, dresses or acts does not mean you know their financial situation. I have a friend who has the "black" Amex card. Hasn't dressed up in over 15 years and only because of his DD's wedding. No limit. He gave one to his DD when she was 18 in case of an emergency. She loves the looks she gets when she uses it. Finds it really funny. She was a struggling student at the time.

When the Princess CC first came out everyone was complaining about the low line of credit. My DD had called and said, mom you've got to sign up for it. So I did. She got hers. It was a $500 limit. I got mine. Let's just say mine was much higher.

Credit cards really depend on income, your credit score and so much more. My brother was a teacher. Brought home more than DH and I. He can't even get a credit card because of his bad spending choices. I just had a dental emergency at home and it was a doozy. First appointment, $5000, next two appointments in the same month equal another $4500. You could finance it, she says. What is your interest rate. 14.5%. No thanks. I'll put it on on of my low interest rate credit cards. Much cheaper (and grateful I had the credit limit for an emergency).

Funny story: My SIL and brother just booked a cruise to join us. Her TA told her she should get medical insurance. Now, this is a California Coastal so it's not like in a life threatening situation we are that far from land. She asked if I bought it and said no.

Well, she goes on to tell me that her TA told her that she should get it because if you fall and pull your tendon really bad you will probably need to be airlifted off the ship. After I stopped laughing I explained to my SIL that her TA was an idiot. No one is getting airlifted because they got a booboo. It is for life threatening situations only and pulling a muscle is not life threatening. No, she assured me. :rolleyes: I said, if that were true helicopters would have to be lined up right after each other to take people off the ships all day long.

Same travel agent told her if she wanted to pay cash on the ship my brother would never know how much she was spending. Umm, but your purchases go on your cruise card which gets charged to your daily account. No, she assured me (again) that I could pay cash as I go. I told her your TA is still an idiot and one that has never been on a cruise. You can pay your account with cash but you can't "buy" stuff with cash. It is always charged to your room. I told her to just buy the AIBP and call it a day.

This is a valuable thread for me.

With myself being in my early 30s and my fiance being 25, I've often considered skimping on insurance. Not anymore...

CrowCaw - lucky for you and your fiance being in your 20-30's because many travel insurance policies are age based - the higher the age the higher the cost for obvious reasons. However, younger folks like you and yours are usually more active on excursions - zip line, horse back riding, off road vehicles, hiking etc. which all have additional elements of physical risk. Regardless of how careful you may be others who can have a negative impact on your well being can cause you injury.

UPDATE ---- First I should let everyone know this was not Princess Insurance or any of the "normal" companies. Because we spend a lot of time in Puerto Vallarta we wanted a yearly travel insurance and a friend who travels for business constantly recommended a company that insures you anywhere except your home state. The policy was very reasonable and we signed up. This was our first claim and hoped and prayed it was covered. Today (2 weeks later) we received a check for the FULL AMOUNT! Almost $4000!

I am not sure if I am allowed but I will let you know the insurance company is Assist Card-USA. We sure are happy with them.

SakeDad: I went to their website to check it out, filled out the online form for a quote, then I was directed to a website for Star Insurance. They wouldn't provide an online quote, but wanted me to call and talk with a rep. Was this your experience? Sounds kinda flaky to me.

Edited by Treven

SakeDad: I went to their website to check it out, filled out the online form for a quote, then I was directed to a website for Star Insurance. They wouldn't provide an online quote, but wanted me to call and talk with a rep. Was this your experience? Sounds kinda flaky to me.

Hmmmm.....no we booked everything online, quotes through payment. Although Starr says their quote system is down currently.

Try this website... same company just different way to get in. http://www.travelinsure.com/what/voyageroverview.asp?32701

our medical insurance DOES work out of the country...and I went on line and printed out Dr's in our plan in the next country we are going to).

I figure in network is a best option if needed!

I also carry most recent blood work, imaging results...for both of us- since I always get copies as tests are done...

I still bought medical insurance primarily for the evacuation coverage...for my next cruise...

Regarding CC limits. I got an airline CC. They GAVE me a 30K limit. I was astounded! So- you never know what your neighbor has available in terms of credit!

I would use my Princess onboard for the double points anyway. hahahaha

Bernadette

Reading these posts got me to thinking about just how would I contact the facility that I stash my loot in for a wire transfer of a large sum of money from my account to a hospital in a small village on the backside of nowhere.

I am also thinking that they will want the secret handshake and passwords to verify that it is me making the request. And, what address codes that they will require.

So, this week I will be making a visit to said facility and obtain the necessary information required to have money wired from my account to a country someplace else. Also, I will question if there will be any delays on the transfer caused by Government regulations. Do want this info now instead of trying to work it out under emergency conditions.

Bob