Why You Need Travel Insurance!!! (My Story on the Crown)

SakeDad

One thing that might not be known if you are retired U.S. military and use Tricare is that it pays for overseas medical services, unlike medicare. We were on a cruise around Africa a few months ago and DW had a cast removed and x-rays taken onboard the Ocean Princess. We filed a claim when we returned and they paid it minus $150. annual deductable.

I am a military retiree, and I have learned something thanks to you and subsequent posters. DW is still covered by Tricare Standard, so she is covered by Tricare Overseas.

Being over 65, I am now covered by Medicare with Tricare For Life as the supplement. I haven't found anything on the Tricare website specifically addressing that, but I assume I am not covered by Tricare Overseas. Does anyone know that for sure?

I am a military retiree, and I have learned something thanks to you and subsequent posters. DW is still covered by Tricare Standard, so she is covered by Tricare Overseas.

Being over 65, I am now covered by Medicare with Tricare For Life as the supplement. I haven't found anything on the Tricare website specifically addressing that, but I assume I am not covered by Tricare Overseas. Does anyone know that for sure?

To learn about it, google "tricare overseas". What I did was go to the tricare service desk at Naval Hospital, Bremerton and speak to a representative there. She had the appropriate form, helped me fill it out and I sent them in. Took about two months to get the check, but that is to be expected when dealing with the government.

To learn about it, google "tricare overseas". What I did was go to the tricare service desk at Naval Hospital, Bremerton and speak to a representative there. She had the appropriate form, helped me fill it out and I sent them in. Took about two months to get the check, but that is to be expected when dealing with the government.

I googled "Tricare overseas and Medicare" and learned I am covered. Here is the answer: http://www.tricare.mil/Plans/HealthPlans/TFL/TFL_O.aspx

I will still get a travel policy because Tricare reimbursement rates are notoriously low (less than Medicare in CONUS), and I want the other benefits travel policies offer. However, it is good to know I have that basic coverage.

Thanks again.

This is a valuable thread for me.

With myself being in my early 30s and my fiance being 25, I've often considered skimping on insurance. Not anymore...

Wise! You just never know. We actually had a man fall over his balcony on our ship last summer. He was in his 20s/30s and had to be airlifted from the port!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just registered for Medjet Assist thanks to reading the experiences here. We're doing a Baltic Cruise this year but also take road trips here at home - it's nice to know we have protection we hope we never use.

I read on a board here yesterday at CC of a gentleman who purchased a Drop and Go cruise leaving in April. His wife had to have emergency heart surgery and he wanted to know if he could get his money back. He did not purchase trip insurance so they are out the money. I don't even think he can transfer it to another member of the family. Story after story of loss of money. It's sad.

I read on a board here yesterday at CC of a gentleman who purchased a Drop and Go cruise leaving in April. His wife had to have emergency heart surgery and he wanted to know if he could get his money back. He did not purchase trip insurance so they are out the money. I don't even think he can transfer it to another member of the family. Story after story of loss of money. It's sad.

Been there - done that! (Lost entire purchase price of trip.)

Just registered for Medjet Assist thanks to reading the experiences here. We're doing a Baltic Cruise this year but also take road trips here at home - it's nice to know we have protection we hope we never use.

Smart move on your part I think. I always get a temp policy from them to cover med evac.

One of the reasons why some medical costs may not be covered by some US medical policies such as Medicare might be the fact that, at least on Princess ships, the doctors may not be licensed in the US. That's not to say that a foreign-registered doctor is not every bit as good or better than a US doctor, just that it might be a reason. I quote here from the Princess Health form that you are supposed to use to if you have a medical condition that might affect your cruise.

"Princess Cruises ships are not registered in the United States. All shipboard doctors are licensed and registered in the United Kingdom, therefore, most standard medical insurance companies will not approve a claim for reimbursement of medical charges."

Tom :confused:

We always get travel insurance with med. evac....try to get primary coverage. Always get pre-existing coverage....esp. due to having a 90 yr old mother!

She doesn't travel but we would be covered if had to cancel or interrupt travel if she fell ill.

Princess Vacation Coverage has a look back period and therefore does not cover pre existing conditions from what I can see.

One of the reasons why some medical costs may not be covered by some US medical policies such as Medicare might be the fact that, at least on Princess ships, the doctors may not be licensed in the US.

That has nothing to do with it.

Medicare does not pay for any medical care outside of the USA, even if you are using the best USA educated and USA licensed physician who is practicing in Canada, England or anywhere else. It just does not cover anything outside the USA.

Other Medical policies are the same way. They are written to cover:

o nothing outside the USA --or--

o only emergency treatment outside the USA --or--

o all medical treatment outside the USA (very few policies do this)

Princess Vacation Coverage has a look back period and therefore does not cover pre existing conditions from what I can see.

It covers pre-existing conditions as long as those conditions had not changed in the look-back period.

That has nothing to do with it.

Medicare does not pay for any medical care outside of the USA, even if you are using the best USA educated and USA licensed physician who is practicing in Canada, England or anywhere else. It just does not cover anything outside the USA.

Other Medical policies are the same way. They are written to cover:

o nothing outside the USA --or--

o only emergency treatment outside the USA --or--

o all medical treatment outside the USA (very few policies do this)

You are correct my wife got sick on the Emerald Princess. We had to get off in Grenada "OMG DON"T EVER GET SICK IN GRENADA " The staff in the hospital were great but they don't have anything. If you have Medicare they do not pay for anything out side the USA. I had to pay with cash or credit card. One doctor was going to do a test she wanted $1,000. No CC cash only she said If you don't have it go to the bank and get it. We did not do the test. We got out of there as fast as we could. By the time we got home all the bills came to about

$10,000. I don't care who you get the insurance from just make sure you have it.

Tony

It covers pre-existing conditions as long as those conditions had not changed in the look-back period.

A pre-existing waiver is what I usually get. There is no look back period. If you have even a change in BP medicine during this period, and have say a heart attack during your cruise.....they could potentially not cover you.

To get this coverage you need to get it within 14 days or so of first trip payment.

So, yes princess does cover pre-existing conditions as all other insurances do...it is the waiver that you need and well worth having just by buying early. No matter how early you buy the princess coverage there is no waiver.

For those who are not aware, Medicare does not cover you when you are out of the United States and Medicare supplement plans have very limited coverage. For this reason we always purchase a medical insurance policy when we are traveling outside the US. You never know what can happen.
One simply has to be careful when purchasing Medicare plans concerning coverage outside the USA.

Medicare fully covered the onboard doctor bills for an injury my wife had, but provides no coverage for drugs prescribed and used outside of the USA. Berkley (Princess insurance) covered everything Medicare / Humana didn't.

Regarding payment - the purser will provide a promissory note for amounts one cannot cover by credit card, with a reasonable time allowed to go to one's bank and transfer funds. It was 2 weeks when we needed to use this method.

We always purchase TravelSafe which meets our needs and one of the advantages is "advance payment to a medical facility if needed to secure your admission". We also carry a copy of policy with us with all the phone#'s and info needed in case a situation arises.

We also purchase Travel Safe. However, although they say they will make advance payment to a medical facility, we have visited several medical facilities out of the US and they would not accept Travel Safe's word that the money was forthcoming. They wanted cash or credit card up front before making a diagnosis or giving any treatment.

Edited by DebJ14

Wow,lots of great information here. My DH never believed in purchasing insurance until last year, when three weeks before our cruise he had a stroke, he stayed in the hospital for eight days. When tests were said and done, it was determined that it was caused by extremely high blood pressure, that stable, he was cleared to go on the cruise. Dr said it would do him good. So this year, upon booking we obtained Princess travel insurance, being Platinum, we got the upgraded version. Can anyone verify the value of this? As a side note, I just got home from the ER. He "fell" this morning on the sidewalk on his way to work, fell right on his face, smashed his glasses, which the hinge of the earpiece gouged his eye, the nose pieces cut the bridge of this nose....this to the tune of seven stitches and one very bruised knee....so much for him NOT having insurance going forward.

Also, to you folks having high limit CC....I have had a Chase Slate for 12 years...with a 200 limit, when I ask them to raise it even 25.00 they say no. I can't cancel it because its my oldest card. So thanks Mr (or MS) American Express....I don't leave home without it!!

A pre-existing waiver is what I usually get. There is no look back period. If you have even a change in BP medicine during this period, and have say a heart attack during your cruise.....they could potentially not cover you.

To get this coverage you need to get it within 14 days or so of first trip payment.

What I understand is that the look back period is reckoned from the date of insurance purchase.

If there was no change in BP, including prescription, within, say, 60 days prior to purchase, then you have no pre-existing condition.

If your BP changed a week after your insurance purchase, and a month prior to your cruise,

will the insurance cover the medical cost for your heart attack during the cruise?

It's beyond my comprehension how someone would have a credit card with that high a credit line. I certainly don't know anyone that has that! Well, actually I have an older couple friends who might have that kind of limit.

DH and I each have multiple cards with those kinds of very high limits. High incomes, good credit score, money in the bank and no debt will get you pretty much as much credit as you would ever want. We will not be giving up any of those cards since we cruise 3-4 times a year as well as take several land vacations each year. You just never know when you will need it. If they demand cash, we can have it wired.

Edited by DebJ14

One more story...

My daughter and her husband purchased airline tickets to fly back east for a wedding. I told her when she purchased them to buy trip insurance. She was reluctant to put the extra money out but she did purchase the insurance. Yesterday her husband blew his knee out. He's self employed and will require surgery. Obviously they can't go on the trip, however, she will get her $1,500 she paid in airline tickets back. She is glad she took my advice. Stuff happens no matter what your age or how good of shape you're in.