Why You Need Travel Insurance!!! (My Story on the Crown)

SakeDad

I looked into this company as well, my biggest issue is that you apparently have to call them and be transported by them, unless I read it wrong. To me, if you are being airlifted a lot of times it's an extreme emergency and needs to be done without concern for which provider does the transport. I was thinking its best to get a standard policy with a high coverage amount for evacuations. Please let me know if I read it wrong.

You read that correctly. I would imagine/hope that they would get you home, or to the horsepital of your choice as quickly as anyone. Plus, if necessary they would have a nurse accompanying you on the flight at no cost to you.

I think that the purpose of MedJet is so you don't have to stay in a foreign hospital. You can be transported back home. Medical evacuation is taking you off the ship to the nearest hospital which may not be to your liking.

The biggest thing is that you must be admitted to a local hospital, not just be seen in the ER, before MedJet kicks in. But yor're right, your not stuck in what could be a hospital that might not be up to snuff.

Edited by Treven

I looked into this company as well, my biggest issue is that you apparently have to call them and be transported by them, unless I read it wrong. To me, if you are being airlifted a lot of times it's an extreme emergency and needs to be done without concern for which provider does the transport. I was thinking its best to get a standard policy with a high coverage amount for evacuations. Please let me know if I read it wrong.
Having experienced using them, they provide the plane, medical equipment, nurses, etc. They also coordinate with the the hospital for transport to/from the airport at both ends. In my BIL's case, it was all arranged within four hours. He was still in critical condition and required support plus he had an infection which required full isolation measures. The delay was getting a bed in the ICU at our local hospital. They fly from wherever the patient is to whatever medical facility you want or need. Once my sister called MedJetAssist and opened a claim, everything was taken care of.

I always purchase the Princess insurance but wonder if it would cover something of this sort. I have good insurance through work but don't know how well it works out of the country.

This will be covered - it is cut and dry accident on the ship. She had no pre-existing conditions about her wrist.

The things I wonder about is the person who has high blood pressure and is being treated for it and has a heart attack or someone with high cholesterol and has a heart issue. Or someone who falls and breaks something due to low blood sugar..... These are the tricky ones.....

We have purchased travel insurance each time so far and not have to had used it. I am glad, because I wouldn't have a credit card with so much extra on it. Sometimes I wonder what is the use of the insurance if you have to pay up front? How does the average person cover the unknown?:confused:

Have cash in a bank account or a CC with a high limit. The travel insurance company whom you bought insurance from will help. It's a good thing when you dont have to use it and a life saver when you do.

This will be covered - it is cut and dry accident on the ship. She had no pre-existing conditions about her wrist.

The things I wonder about is the person who has high blood pressure and is being treated for it and has a heart attack or someone with high cholesterol and has a heart issue. Or someone who falls and breaks something due to low blood sugar..... These are the tricky ones.....

You can get insurance for preexisting conditions, however, you have to purchase the insurance within so many days of the booking. I purchase the insurance the same day and all is covered. We use TravelGuard Gold Plan.

I canot believe that posters are saying that you should have travel insurance:eek:. Speaking as a Brit, I wouldn't contemplate travelling without insurance, in fact it is a condition of booking here in the UK that you cannot book a cruise/holiday without having purchased travel insurance.

I am sorry to hear of your problem, but just let me relate my case. I am 72 years old and have a number of pre-existing health conditions, including a heart condition which I always declare and pay a very high premium to get cover.

This paid dividends last year when I was taken very ill with pancreatitis on board Caribbean Princess in Norway and there was talk of evacuation, but with treatment, I was able to finish the cruise and was ok after a few days. My medical bill came to over $4000 and yes, I had to pay up front, but if there is any problem with lack of funds, the CC company will usually give you an emergency uplift to help you pay. On my return I made a claim and within two weeks, I received a check for the total amount.

So please,don't even think about travelling without insurance!

I am currently going through an Insurance claim right now - cancellation. Our fabulous bucket list Alaska cruise for May had to be cancelled as I developed a DVT in a rare location (not leg/lung) and cannot fly until the cause is determined and the current one has gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are they still trying to find the cause, Pushka? I've been wondering how you've been going.

Thats sweet triple J.

Im thinking SLE - Lupus - an autoimmune illness. Seems to fit a range of issues. The blood tests were done back a month ago when it happened and the GP admits its above his knowledge to deal with due to rarity so hopefully answers from Haematologist at the end of April. Our public health system is overloaded (and expertise is in the public health system unfortunately - cant go private) so I have to wait. The original appt was 3 months out and got it back to 2. Was supposed to be 4 weeks.

I can still feel it so its still there - remnants of, I guess.

And extracting a fully refundable flight booking from Jetstar is proving very painful.

Edited by Pushka

Bummer! Both the possible Lupus and the Jetstar issue.

Good luck with the Haematologist. I hope you get a definative diagnosis. It must be so frustrating not knowing what the actual cause of the issue is.

I guess you'll be stuck with doing cruises to/from places you can get to easily by car for a while, if you can't fly. Or can you do short hops by plane, like to Sydney?

My story is that on a cruise in 2005, my brother-in-law got suddenly sick (perforated bowel) the last sea day before arriving back in FLL. His bill in the Medical Center was $8,000. My sister arranged for Princess to send an invoice. She couldn't pay for it on the credit card she had with her. There was no problem getting Princess to send an invoice instead of paying onboard.

My BIL was in the ICU in FLL for a month before being flown back to CA using MedJetAssist. Sadly, he passed away four days later but he got to say, "Goodbye" to his friends.

My sister's and my hotel bill was mostly covered by Princess insurance. Our net total expenditures after insurance claims were paid were relatively small. Once home, she submitted the medical claim to Blue Shield which paid $6,000. Then, she submitted the medical claim to Berkley Care (Princess) insurance along with confirmation of the amount already paid by insurance. Berkley paid the remaining $2,000 within ten days. My sister then paid the Princess Medical Center invoice.

I remember when that happened and was sad to hear that he did pass away. Thanks for posting your experience. We always add the Princess travel insurance on every voyage.

You can get insurance for preexisting conditions, however, you have to purchase the insurance within so many days of the booking. I purchase the insurance the same day and all is covered. We use TravelGuard Gold Plan.

I realize this. The policy I buy I can buy at final payment to cover pre-existing conditions through my TA.

Princess's travel insurance is very strange on this - it has a look back period which is confusing for most. I just wonder how strict the Princess policy is when paying on this.

The biggest thing is that you must be admitted to a local hospital, not just be seen in the ER, before MedJet kicks in. But yor're right, your not stuck in what could be a hospital that might not be up to snuff.[/quote

i read it the same way as you….i just purchased a medjet assist policy last week…what sold me that i can use their services ANYWHERE as long as its 150 miles from home…besides traveling abroad, we travel a lot here in the states (including Hawaii)…the yearly premium (about a dollar a day) for my wife and i was almost to good to be true ,but research (including trip advisor) made it a no brainer for us.

I have had occasion to use Princess insurance twice .... for relatively minor problems, with costs under $1000, fortunately.

Once was for a fall while on a private tour in Rome, and had to have stitches in my upper lip, xrays, and a splint for a sprained wrist. The other was for having caught the flu onboard and was sick in bed for the last 3 days of a cruise. All of the medical care was provided on the ships both times. Both times, I submitted the bills to my Medicare supplement (I opted for the kind that DOES provide some coverage while out of the country) and then to Berkely, and in the end I was 100% reimbursed for the costs, including the Medicare supplement deductible. Berkely is very prompt in their handling of claims.

Additionally. I do have a membership in MedJet Assist, which I pray I will never need to use.

I was told by MedJetAssist when I joined that what they offer is not insurance, it's a membership service. Whatever it is, what they will provide, if used, is a great service. Especially for the cost, when considering the ludicrous amounts that medical flight companies charge for their services.

Always purchase Travel Insurance! I had to be air evaccuated to Miami 5 years ago from the Ruby. Our bill on the ship was 3200.00. It was charged to our CC and reimbursed fully by our medical insurance, Any charges not paid by medical were paid by Princess Travel Care. Medical evac for me and my husband paid entirely by Princess travel insurance. That small fee for the policy is worth every penny and then some. Accidents and illness can happen to anyone of any age!!

Hi everyone!!

Just thought I'd share my story about what happened to me on a recent cruise on the Crown Princess.

It was a great cruise to Mexico, but with 2 nights left I went up to Skywalkers with a couple of friends. I wasn't dancing at first then they asked me to join. Within 3 minutes I went to turn, both feet STUCK to the dance floor and I went crashing down and landed on my left wrist. I bounced right back up and moved my wrist thinking I had maybe sprung it. But when it moved in 5 directions at once I knew it was broken!! :eek::eek::eek:

I immediately went down to Medical on Deck 4 and 2 doctors and a nurse tended to me all night, putting me to sleep to reset the arm and put a cast on. They took very good care of me. But when we went to settle our account we had been billed almost $4000 USD for medical services!! In case you don't know, they do not accept insurance of any kind and you must pay this before you disembark.

So we have travel insurance and we have submitted all the bills, waiting and praying they reimburse it all. I'll come back and update once we know.

But just wanted to remind everyone that accidents happen in the flash of a second......GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!!

We have always carried Travel Insurance. However, this time around (not a cruise but Land Tour of Israel) we checked out the details of our healthcare plan (I double, triple checked, including looking at the actual 'contract', speaking to the insurance reps) to find out we have 100% coverage internationally. Our plan is funded by the ILWU.

Always make sure you have all of your bills/documentation before you leave the ship or hospital!

After one infirmary visit for a minor issue (Mexico Cruise), I was given a single paper..a copy of the paid bill by the infirmary, but later found out it lacked the information needed for our insurance to pay the claim.

My insurance was very willing to pay and asked for more info, but despite contacting Princess Cruise repeatedly and explaining my situation, still was not able to get the proper info :-( Fortunately the bill was only $200).

It doesn't matter whether it is travel insurance or international coverage with private insurance, be sure to be meticulous in collecting the necessary paperwork. Okay, enough said...:-)

The biggest thing is that you must be admitted to a local hospital, not just be seen in the ER, before MedJet kicks in. But yor're right, your not stuck in what could be a hospital that might not be up to snuff.[/quote

i read it the same way as you….i just purchased a medjet assist policy last week…what sold me that i can use their services ANYWHERE as long as its 150 miles from home…besides traveling abroad, we travel a lot here in the states (including Hawaii)…the yearly premium (about a dollar a day) for my wife and i was almost to good to be true ,but research (including trip advisor) made it a no brainer for us.

Since I can only afford a cruise once a year, or every 18 months, I just get a MedJet "policy" to cover that particular cruise. Fortunately it has been the worst (but also the best) expense of the total cruise cost, in that I've never had to use their services. CA Pam's experience with them was the impetus for me to get their evac coverage.

So glad I read this! While I always buy travel insurance, I am traveling solo to the Med this summer and the MedJet Assist has taken a huge load off my mind. If something happens they'll get me home.

Thanks!!

I guess I was lucky when on Carnival five years ago I blew out my knee on the dance floor and they provided all medical services with no charges....I didn't need anything substantial but I needed two surgeries after I got home and to this day live with a torn ACL.....I think they thought I would sue them because I fell on the ship.

It's good to know that the Princess insurance is actually worthwhile. We've never (yet) purchased any additional travel insurance.

As for paying up front: I can't imagine not having a credit card that can handle the mentioned amounts of $8,000. I would guess most cruisers have more than one card with limits of $10k or more on each one. I also like to keep an accessible cash buffer in an account I can access online rather than keeping all money tied up in a fund. Yes, it gets a lower interest rate but it's handy in an emergency.

In an extreme case I am sure that, as a few here have mentioned, Princess will work with you to send an invoice. I can't imagine them saying something like, "What? You don't have $10k cash available right now? Then DIE, DIE, DIE!!!" I just don't think it would be good PR for the line...