Why You Need Travel Insurance!!! (My Story on the Crown)

SakeDad

I hope you heal quickly and get all money back! Thank you for sharing; firsthand accounts are always helpful for people who are on the fence about insurance. We are young but still always get travel insurance. An emergency can happen to anyone, and we have elderly parents who could have an emergency. Travel insurance always puts my mind at ease, and that's worth it's weight in gold even if we (hopefully) never have to use it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They dont accept travel insurance as payment? Thats absurd. Many will not have $4000 free funds on their card. Insurance Policies in Australia require pre authorisation on large (>$1000) hospital bills.

You are right most insurance does not pay directly. For that reason, we have a credit card with a high limit.

You are right most insurance does not pay directly. For that reason, we have a credit card with a high limit.

Ah no, I have never had to pay directly. The insurance company has paid upfront on the accident claim in Thailand for hospital and evacuation charges. If you had a heart attack and were in intensive care for a few days, that could cost $100,000. What credit card has that limit!

Ah no, I have never had to pay directly. The insurance company has paid upfront on the accident claim in Thailand for hospital and evacuation charges. If you had a heart attack and were in intensive care for a few days, that could cost $100,000. What credit card has that limit!

I wouldn't have enough room on my card to cover even $1k!

We don't buy the Princess insurance because its generally more costly for fewer coverage amounts than you can get going direct to a travel insurance provider. Also, I prefer direct because if you do have a claim you file it directly with the insurance carrier so its best to have a direct relationship--a TA is not going to help with a claim.

We have had good experience with CSA Travel Protection. We found CSA via Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=274

Then according to some here, (not me) you shouldn't be travelling.

I agree, unless you have the funds on 2 CC cards for emergency purposes, you shouldn't be traveling....and even some in a bank account for good measure.

In an extreme case I am sure that, as a few here have mentioned, Princess will work with you to send an invoice. I can't imagine them saying something like, "What? You don't have $10k cash available right now? Then DIE, DIE, DIE!!!" I just don't think it would be good PR for the line...

Princess will not say that, but what about an onshore hospital?

Hi everyone!!

Just thought I'd share my story about what happened to me on a recent cruise on the Crown Princess.

It was a great cruise to Mexico, but with 2 nights left I went up to Skywalkers with a couple of friends. I wasn't dancing at first then they asked me to join. Within 3 minutes I went to turn, both feet STUCK to the dance floor and I went crashing down and landed on my left wrist. I bounced right back up and moved my wrist thinking I had maybe sprung it. But when it moved in 5 directions at once I knew it was broken!! :eek::eek::eek:

I immediately went down to Medical on Deck 4 and 2 doctors and a nurse tended to me all night, putting me to sleep to reset the arm and put a cast on. They took very good care of me. But when we went to settle our account we had been billed almost $4000 USD for medical services!! In case you don't know, they do not accept insurance of any kind and you must pay this before you disembark.

So we have travel insurance and we have submitted all the bills, waiting and praying they reimburse it all. I'll come back and update once we know.

But just wanted to remind everyone that accidents happen in the flash of a second......GET TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!!

Hope you recover soon, and receive your insurance check without problem.

I agree, unless you have the funds on 2 CC cards for emergency purposes, you shouldn't be traveling....and even some in a bank account for good measure.

How much is enough though? Intensive care could be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

After friends had a lengthy hospital stay in Australia and then a first class ticket back home to the US, we have carried several high limit credit cards plus a credit card tied to our home equity line of credit. I call the bank and let them know where we are going and that the HELOC credit card is for emergencies only.

Last year on the Royal my sister had to visit the medical center. It was nothing compared to the previous stories and truth be told I never even filed for reimbursement. Got lazy, got busy, sister didn't get the paperwork from her insurance company in a timely manner, blah, blah, blah. Glad to have had the coverage though. It could have been so much worse in which case I certainly would have filed.

Anyway, when the nurse handed us the bill she told me straight out to tell Princess we couldn't pay at that time. That way we could file the claim, get the money and THEN bay the bill. So, as mentioned by Pam you do not necessarily have to pay up front.

In fact, I've heard of stories where people can't pay their onboard account at the end of the cruise. Apparently the company just makes some kind of arrangement to collect the funds however they can until they get their money.

I was on the Navigator of the Seas, watching the outdoor activities, and felt tired. Headed to my stateroom, with cabin card in hand as I reached the door. Next thing I recall, I was on a gurney in medical. The staff and asked what had happened. I told them, then they took my vitals, withdrew blood, can't recall what else. I'm thinking CATCHING, CATCHING. The doctor, a lady from S. Africa, she/they had placed a "band aid" on my forehead as I had apparently rubbed it on the wall as I fainted. A nurse walked with me to my cabin, gave me a bottle of water, and told me to rest for awhile. Now the best part, a member from guest relations visited me, gave me her card, wished me the best, and said thre would be no charge for my treatment. WOW.

Back in 1996, DH broke his hip before our very first cruise. We already done the final payment. So glad we got the insurance via Royal Caribbean.

We got our money back and booked another cruise.

That one was 8 hours late getting back to port due to weather. On our transfer to the airport, the bus broke down in the airport. When we got to the gate, we learned we were too late for that flight.

Royal Caribbean rebooked our flight (several times), put us up in a hotel, and provided meal vouchers. At no time, were we out extra money. Royal handled it all.

Edited by knittinggirl

I was on the Navigator of the Seas, watching the outdoor activities, and felt tired. Headed to my stateroom, with cabin card in hand as I reached the door. Next thing I recall, I was on a gurney in medical. The staff and asked what had happened. I told them, then they took my vitals, withdrew blood, can't recall what else. I'm thinking CATCHING, CATCHING. The doctor, a lady from S. Africa, she/they had placed a "band aid" on my forehead as I had apparently rubbed it on the wall as I fainted. A nurse walked with me to my cabin, gave me a bottle of water, and told me to rest for awhile. Now the best part, a member from guest relations visited me, gave me her card, wished me the best, and said thre would be no charge for my treatment. WOW.

Wow is Right!

Serenade of the Seas charged me $180 including $60 prescription that would have been zero copay at home. But I was sick. They may have come to the conclusion you fell and hit your head due to pitching & rolling.

After friends had a lengthy hospital stay in Australia and then a first class ticket back home to the US, we have carried several high limit credit cards plus a credit card tied to our home equity line of credit. I call the bank and let them know where we are going and that the HELOC credit card is for emergencies only.

So I guess that we should hold on to those credit cards we have with a $40K credit limit if for no other reason than in the event of a medical emergency overseas. ;)

So I guess that we should hold on to those credit cards we have with a $40K credit limit if for no other reason than in the event of a medical emergency overseas. ;)

I don't leave the USA without my HELOC credit card:) and a few other high credit line cards. :) We've always bought the insurance but never gave a thought to how much you might need to spend out of pocket before you were able to return home and submit insurance papers.

I only have 2 credit cards but I'm thinking about applying for 2 more with high limits just in case. Actually my debit card has a VISA logo on it, I can use that in case of emergency. My first plan of action is to come home.

I don't leave the USA without my HELOC credit card:) and a few other high credit line cards. :) We've always bought the insurance but never gave a thought to how much you might need to spend out of pocket before you were able to return home and submit insurance papers.

Frankly, we haven't either. And we've talked of canceling our high credit limit cards (we've always considered them to be kind of ridiculous since we are 'pay the balance every month' types), but haven't because they have no annual fee. I have found this thread to be very helpful, even though we already knew to never travel without trip insurance.

It's beyond my comprehension how someone would have a credit card with that high a credit line. I certainly don't know anyone that has that! Well, actually I have an older couple friends who might have that kind of limit.

It's beyond my comprehension how someone would have a credit card with that high a credit line. I certainly don't know anyone that has that! Well, actually I have an older couple friends who might have that kind of limit.

Trust me, it says far more about the ludicrous credit environment in the US than it does about our household financial situation.

Two years ago on a South American cruise, I suddenly developed a migraine, hours before an expensive excursion. I saw the Dr who stamped something that got the cost of canceling removed from our bill, and our travel ins reimbursed me for the Dr visit. Money well spent!

Same thing happened to me. I tore my ACL the first day on the Hawaiian islands but had tours booked on all islands. Just a visit to the doctor and we got a full refund on our future excursions we booked. As a matter of fact, the visit to the doctor didn't amount to as much as one of the excursions we booked.

We have an even higher limit because before he retired my DH was flying worldwide multiple times a month and running his expenses (for which he was reimbursed) through two credit cards (one with airline awards, the other with hotel rewards). Then (and now with much lower balances) we always paid them off in full each month. I always joked that we could buy a very nice car on our credit card but it is good to know that we have a high limit in case of an emergency.

Things must be very different then. In Asia my son had a traffic accident and the Hospital accepted the Insurance company details. Nothing to pay upfront.

So what would happen if you had a heart attack and were put into intensive care? Pretty sure no one could afford that.

And where is this small print? Must be in the cruise brochure. Nothing in the Insurance policies as they are fine with paying upfront for genuine accidents and illnesses. Well Aussie companies are.

There is a great story about a man having a heart attack at a resort near Cancun. They had to pay up front before he was admitted and then when it was determined that he needed a cardiac catherization, they had to pay more. Could you come up with $28,000?

Their story is here: http://iberostarrocks.com/2010/10/08/the-emergency-room-being-admitted/

I used to leave most of the credit cards at home when we travel, but after reading about their experience, I now take all of the cards with high credit limits with us and make sure that they all have been advised where we will be traveling and I take lots of cash in case we have to pay for taxis etc. I am comfortable knowing that we can afford pretty much whatever it takes, and will be eventually reimbursed by the travel insurance that we always take.

We buy Travel Safe, which is Primary insurance, and covers medical out of the country as well as the air ambulance. Since DH has a pre-existing condition, we always buy it as soon as we pay the deposit so that the pre-existing condition is covered.

Edited by DebJ14