Carnival prices just not cutting it .....

tallnthensome

Made perfect sense to me. There are distinct differences between cruise lines and distinct differences in clientele. For one not to believe this, you are only fooling yourselves.

Sorry still not buying it. The only thing they have in common to me is they're both number one in what they do.

I've never looked into MSC before, but now I think I will check them out. I have always thought Carnival had the best prices, but they, too, are increasing theirs. My last two were on RCCL, and I thought they were pretty pricey. I got a great deal for my next cruise in January 2017 on the Norwegian Getaway. Cost of 7 day cruise for inside cabin (I always book inside because of limited time in cabin. To me, it is a waste to pay more. But that is my preference. I know it is not everyone's.) was only $549pp plus unlimited drink package. I was extremely happy with that, as I paid over $800pp on the Oasis with no drink package.

I am getting online right now and checking out MSC! Thank you for the heads up!

MSC will status match you to another cruise line; all levels get 5% off the booking, and depending which level you get a handful of additional perks as well. I'm getting more perks with MSC on my first cruise than I am on Carnival on my 2017 cruise...and my first Carnival cruise was in 1992!

We have noticed the same thing. We sail out of Galveston and the prices are generally alittle higher. But we noticed recently that RCCL and Princess have been equal or better prices. The thing for me is I know what to expect from carnival so i can deal with this for now. But who can pass up a good deal.

Walmart of the seas. Everyone knows it, come out of the dark ages. See the light. FTTF is the only way to fly.

I'm curious, how do you decide which one of your trolling name to use? Do you put them in a hat and pick one out? My life is not nearly pathetic enough to ever consider being a multi named troll so I was just curious how it works from someone who practices this.

That said we have paid nearly $900 more this year with no price drops on the same cabin on Magic that we had on Breeze last year.

Thats interesting. We paid $150 more this year then last year (last year on the magic this year the breeze) same itinerarie same cabin the diffrence is we added an extra person this year so i guess this one is slightly cheaper.

Even though I booked the Vista in Februray for an April 2017 sailing I'm going to say that I don't get that fuzzy feeling of deal that I normally get. In fact, I feel that I just settled even as far as a year out. I've sailed on different lines and Carnival before but I have to tell you there are better deals out there. I used to look at Carnival as a more affordable line but not anymore. I sail next month on the new Norweigan Escape 7 day with my two daughters, booked last year, and paid $1900 with port charges and tax for a balcony. This included two unlimited drink packages, kids soft drink packages, and $25 OBC. Great deal! I booked the new to come MSC Seaside for 2018 today 7 days for $2598. This was a balcony for us four and $200 OBC. I booked the Vista for 2017 8 days and got an inside Cloud 9 spa deck 11 for $2850 with no add-ons. All three are new ships and I feel by far that I'm getting the least from Carnival. They want $3900 for a balcony with no add-ons. Not going to pay a grand more for a balcony. It will be my last on Carnival if this keeps up for sure and if people catch on that there are way better deals out there elseware. Carnival better stop the huge jumps in prices before others jump elseware. Only doing it for my kids at this point. After that they can stick their prices where the sun doesn't shine. Surely others have noticed this as well .......

I saw that deal on NCl and I am curious to try the line but the ports do not interest me. Im also concerned about all the nickel and diming they have been doing latey. I agree that I would like Carnival to offer more perks. I saw they are running a reduce deposit special which helps when booking a cruise. Thanks for your thoughts!!

I'm curious' date=' how do you decide which one of your ****** name to use? Do you put them in a hat and pick one out? My life is not nearly pathetic enough to ever consider being a multi named ***** so I was just curious how it works from someone who practices this.[/quote']

My suspicion is whichever one isn't suspended at the time.

Wow really? Okay, gratuities are $1.50pp more a day so it will cost us $21 more in gratuities for 7 days to sail on NCL. The gratuities on the drink package for 2 was $173.88 total for 7 days.

So, that means our NCL cruises were $499pp with $87.50pp obc on each cruise from TA (plus $10.50 more for gratuities for the week pp and $86.94 pp more for 7 days for gratuities for the drinks) for an inside deck 13 for 7 nights with drink package included. That makes for a total of $509.50 for the NCL cruise for 7 days WITH the drink package when you add the cost of the extra gratuities.

Our Carnival cruise was $579pp with a $50obc on deck 8 for 7 nights...no drink package. Carnivals gratuities are $1.50 less pp per day. That was included in the above price for NCL. Carnival's price $579- $50 is $529 with NO Drink package. If I had to pay for the drink package...it will add $442.33 pp to the cruise making Carnival $971.33pp for a 7 day cruise to make the price equal.

As you can see, the price of the cruises do not even come close when you figure in the drink package.

Also, I can't even imagine there being NO outside decks? That doesn't make sense. Are you meaning there is no promenade deck that circles the ship?

For those who don't drink and therefore find no value in a beverage package, the choice becomes much easier. :)

Yes, you should always shop around. Just because Carnival is supposed to be the cheap line, doesn't mean it is. And some people don't realize that you have to compare all aspects. Maybe the ticketing is lower for one cruise, but can you drive vs. fly? Do you need to get a pre-cruise hotel? How much is it to park at that port. Which airport do you have to fly into or out of (this might determine which airline you can use and the $$ to spend).

If you find all the other trips cheaper, then book them.

But I must point out that the Vista is the newest carnival ship. I don't care if you are booking after her first year out or not. She is going to be pricey for about a year or two. And you are booking her before she has even sailed yet, then you are def. paying for her "newness." I bet if you looked at the Dream or event he Breeze for the same 8 days, it wouldn't be as bad.

I have a question. When you look at other lines, does anyone consider the size of the staterooms? It seems that other lines have way smaller rooms compared to Carnival. With Carnivals' average room size at 185 sq ft for an inside most others don't even come close. I have a friend that is sailing on RCCL in an oceanview room that is 114 sq ft! And most of Carnival's oceanviews are 220 sq. ft.!

I'm just curious from those who have sailed multiple lines....does it make a difference or are you in the room so infrequently that it doesn't matter?

Just curious...

Thats interesting. We paid $150 more this year then last year (last year on the magic this year the breeze) same itinerarie same cabin the diffrence is we added an extra person this year so i guess this one is slightly cheaper.

Well last year we had about $800 ish of price drops, this year we have had none.

so I guess the price is only slightly higher, but it doesn't feel so slight.

I have a question. When you look at other lines, does anyone consider the size of the staterooms? It seems that other lines have way smaller rooms compared to Carnival. With Carnivals' average room size at 185 sq ft for an inside most others don't even come close. I have a friend that is sailing on RCCL in an oceanview room that is 114 sq ft! And most of Carnival's oceanviews are 220 sq. ft.!

I'm just curious from those who have sailed multiple lines....does it make a difference or are you in the room so infrequently that it doesn't matter?

Just curious...

Unless we got a specific suite (not just a "suite" as some of those are really just inches bigger balcony cabins) (MSC's YC1 suites for example and some of the NCL haven suites aren't really that big)

Carnival's cabins have all been bigger, roomier.

Some of the suites on NCL's older ships are really spacious. They were nice and if you could

Don't see the need for a suite on carnival as the perks are not so special and the standard cabins are quite enough.

However, to be honest, while the size of the room is important, the overall cost is more important.

Just curious...

I agree that Carnival's cabins are larger. We first cruised on RCCL 2 years ago, and we were shocked by not just the size of the cabin, but the bathroom and shower! I would have to wonder how an obese individual would be comfortable in their tight shower! I do know that our cabin on NCL is also smal. I have not found any larger inside cabins that Carnival's. We are in our cabin only to sleep, shower and dress, so it doesn't matter to us. After years of paying for a balcony cabin, we realized this, and now only book inside cabins. But to some people, the cabin adds to their cruise experience, and so they are willing to spend on the balconies and suites. It's just not important to us. The activities, food, ports, etc are what we cruise for. So smaller inside cabins does not bother us.

Just curious...

You don't HAVE to get a smaller E size room. You can get a D size room that has the same dimensions as a carnival room. And if you have a balcony, with a sliding glass door.

You don't HAVE to get a smaller E size room. You can get a D size room that has the same dimensions as a carnival room. And if you have a balcony, with a sliding glass door.

My guess is they were referencing either Empress or Majesty, both of which have very small oceanview rooms and neither ship has a standard balcony category without getting a suite. Majesty does have superior oceanview rooms on deck 9 with rooms that are bigger than 114, but still way smaller than carnival OV's.

Carnival Balcony and RCI D class Balcony are about the same; Carnival OV is bigger than either because the space of the balcony is inside the room. I've had all of these rooms at some point (Well, not Empress) and RCI rooms are undeniably smaller than Carnival. Carnival standard OV huge compared to anything on RCI below a suite category.

My guess is they were referencing either Empress or Majesty, both of which have very small oceanview rooms and neither ship has a standard balcony category without getting a suite. Majesty does have superior oceanview rooms on deck 9 with rooms that are bigger than 114, but still way smaller than carnival OV's.

Carnival Balcony and RCI D class Balcony are about the same; Carnival OV is bigger than either because the space of the balcony is inside the room. I've had all of these rooms at some point (Well, not Empress) and RCI rooms are undeniably smaller than Carnival. Carnival standard OV huge compared to anything on RCI below a suite category.

Yes, you are correct...I think she is on the Majesty. I might have confused the interior with the oceanview too. Sorry. So, I'm assuming then, that the room sizes don't influence your decision? Maybe I need to not worry so much about that when considering other lines.

We are sailing this summer aboard MSC Divina. Family of 4 in a Fantastica balcony stateroom for 7 nights for $1357! And that includes all taxes and port charges! No other similar cruise for that week came remotely close in price. Carnival was double, Royal was triple, and Disney was 5 times more expensive!

It does pay to shop around. Pretty much every cruise that we've taken in the last 5 years has been cheaper than similar cruises on Carnival.

Wait...WHAT?!?! :eek: I didn't realize MSC was that cheap...might need to check them out next year when I plan our next cruise. Thanks for the info!

Just curious...

The HAL cabin is very nice. My balcony cabin had a tub and shower. Nicely appointed but a little smaller than CCL.

Yes, you are correct...I think she is on the Majesty. I might have confused the interior with the oceanview too. Sorry. So, I'm assuming then, that the room sizes don't influence your decision? Maybe I need to not worry so much about that when considering other lines.

I wouldn't say room size is unimportant to me, it is just down the list a bit. Don't spend too much time in the room. 114 sq feet is dinky. I've sailed ships in 90 sq foot rooms (including the bathroom); so you don't even have room in there to change your mind. I don't care if a room is interior, OV, or balcony if the price is right; generally 140 sq feet or bigger is enough to be comfortable. Carnival OV's on ships newer than Fantasy class are the best bang for the buck going, IMO.

Wait...WHAT?!?! :eek: I didn't realize MSC was that cheap...might need to check them out next year when I plan our next cruise. Thanks for the info!

They might be if you can be flexible I guess but I just priced a cruise for October and it came in at $2600, about $900 more than our CCL cruise.