Carnival prices just not cutting it .....

tallnthensome

Shouldn't people be comparing apples to apples? If people do compare pricing with alcohol included, so be it. It's called choices.

So if as you quoted " apparently alcohol is important to you" and they are making the comparison of included or paying for alcohol it is a fair comparison. It's no different than those that compare no frills type pricing.

You are right. They got quite a deal from their TA perks. I just reread that post.

Even though I booked the Vista in Februray for an April 2017 sailing I'm going to say that I don't get that fuzzy feeling of deal that I normally get. In fact, I feel that I just settled even as far as a year out. I've sailed on different lines and Carnival before but I have to tell you there are better deals out there. I used to look at Carnival as a more affordable line but not anymore. I sail next month on the new Norweigan Escape 7 day with my two daughters, booked last year, and paid $1900 with port charges and tax for a balcony. This included two unlimited drink packages, kids soft drink packages, and $25 OBC. Great deal! I booked the new to come MSC Seaside for 2018 today 7 days for $2598. This was a balcony for us four and $200 OBC. I booked the Vista for 2017 8 days and got an inside Cloud 9 spa deck 11 for $2850 with no add-ons. All three are new ships and I feel by far that I'm getting the least from Carnival. They want $3900 for a balcony with no add-ons. Not going to pay a grand more for a balcony. It will be my last on Carnival if this keeps up for sure and if people catch on that there are way better deals out there elseware. Carnival better stop the huge jumps in prices before others jump elseware. Only doing it for my kids at this point. After that they can stick their prices where the sun doesn't shine. Surely others have noticed this as well .......

Basically we cruise for the itinerary and destination now. Loyalty to any specific line is really not worth it, and like you said there are deals out there. I would be curious to know why....if you could get better deals elsewhere....did you choose to book the Vista? We are sailing on the Vista in October out of Barcelona because we found an absolutely stupid deal on a balcony on Lido for a 10 night cruise from Barcelona to Athens (like $1249 a person). We have sailed on Princess, and are looking to book the NCL Getaway for sometime in February.

My point is simple, if you don't think you are getting a deal, or you get something better somewhere else, then go there....we certainly have....but we always check back from time to time as you can find really nice deals when you look.

Carnival has Vista priced extremely high. I'll wait for the newness to wear off. Then book when the next new ship comes out. Still haven't done the Breeze. Prices are coming down on that ship now that the Vista is coming out. When the Vista starts to sail Breeze should have some good deals. The conquest class ship's should be dirt cheap.

I'm kinda shocked reading through this post. I love carnival, and do not think it's "OVERPRICED" for what you get.

I have 4 Carnival Cruises booked:

8 day on Conquest, Deck 8 Balcony, $1987 for 2 people ($124 pp/per day)

6 day on Vista, Deck 7 Balcony, $1757 ($146 pp/Per day)

8 day on Sunshine, OV, ($83 pp/Per day)

7 day on Pride, Bowling-Alley Balcony, $121 pp/per day)

I think these per person, per day rates are VERY reasonable considering what you get (hotel accommodations with ocean views and mostly a balcony; 24 hours unlimited food, and travel to exotic locations, plus carnivals 'fun' atmosphere that I have not found on other lines.)

Additionally, I pay for my ENTIRE cruise and my on-board expenses using Carnival gift cards I buy for 10% OFF! ...As far as I know, there is no source for discounted gift cards with these other lines (RCCL has a discounted "certificate" you can buy but if you read the fine print you can ONLY use it to book a new cruise and can only use ONE per booking, as opposed to Carnivals which are "real" gift cards and can be used for anything."

Also, I ONLY book while on a cruise, so I get $100 OBC for my 7+ day cruises, plus another $100 for the shareholder credit, plus $100 from my TA when I give him the booking... plus price drops and typically a little more OBC for one of Carnival's many "specials" they have throughout the year.

SO lets do the math:

Carnival offers:

--FUN atmosphere

--Bigger cabins

--comparable food quality

--More "free" dining options like Guys

--More ports

--10% discount on everything using gift cards

--$300+ onboard credit for every 7 day cruise I book

Not sure why everyone is bitching. If you don't like it, take your money elsewhere and cruise a different line.

Carnival IS a business, and last time I checked, prices of goods and services DO "go up" year over year, they are not meant to stay the same.

This is just my two cents on this long post.

PS - The Vista does NOT look like a "Walmart" ... come on people, we're talking AT LEAST a "Target" haha :)

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I'm kinda shocked reading through this post. I love carnival, and do not think it's "OVERPRICED" for what you get.

I think these per person, per day rates are VERY reasonable considering what you get (hotel accommodations with ocean views and mostly a balcony; 24 hours unlimited food, and travel to exotic locations, plus carnivals 'fun' atmosphere that I have not found on other lines.)

Additionally, I pay for my ENTIRE cruise and my on-board expenses using Carnival gift cards I buy for 10% OFF! ...As far as I know, there is no source for discounted gift cards with these other lines (RCCL has a discounted "certificate" you can buy but if you read the fine print you can ONLY use it to book a new cruise and can only use ONE per booking, as opposed to Carnivals which are "real" gift cards and can be used for anything."

Also, I ONLY book while on a cruise, so I get $100 OBC for my 7+ day cruises, plus another $100 for the shareholder credit, plus $100 from my TA when I give him the booking... plus price drops and typically a little more OBC for one of Carnival's many "specials" they have throughout the year.

SO lets do the math:

Carnival offers:

--FUN atmosphere

--Bigger cabins

--More ports

Not sure why everyone is bitching. If you don't like it, take your money elsewhere and cruise a different line.

Carnival IS a business, and last time I checked, prices of goods and services DO "go up" year over year, they are not meant to stay the same.

PS - The Vista does NOT look like a "Walmart" ... come on people, we're talking AT LEAST a "Target" haha :)

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Great post! I just recently discovered AARP discount gift cards. Great deal and takes a little bite out of the CDN exchange ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have a Vista Spa cabin interior on deck 11 for the Inaugural (europe cruises are generally more expensive) for 13 days and it came to $1950 for the two of us.
I find quite the oppsite. I see cruise deals all over Europe that have better itineraries for better prices than those in the U.S. to the caribbean. The reason being airfare is so ridiculous that if potential U.S. customers had to pay $900 each to fly a family of four and the cruise was high you could forget about most American families heading there spending more or air than the cruise itself.

Carnival offers:

--FUN atmosphere

--Bigger cabins

--More ports

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Believe me Jeff, most of us hear you loud and clear and couldn't agree more. Just a handful of others desperately trying to make something out of nothing. Also agree, if Carnival is mot your cup of tea, there are many other cruise lines to try.

Edited by Podna's

SO lets do the math:

Carnival offers:

--FUN atmosphere

--Bigger cabins

--More ports

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Yes, I'm quoting myself cause I could not figure out how to "edit" my original post. Anyway, another HUGE difference ... for those of us who like to "stay connected" ... RCCL charges $20/day for internet for ONE device! With Carnival, I can get the social plan for $30 FOR THE ENTIRE CRUISE. This is an additional savings of $130 for my 8 day cruises! Again, not sure why all the fuss ... if you don't think you are getting "value" with Carnival then go elsewhere. This is a vacation and no one is forcing you to book any one line.

Me? I'll stick with Carnival.

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

Not sure why everyone is bitching. If you don't like it, take your money elsewhere and cruise a different line

Carnival still offers great value. But I think that we are having this hearty discussion because other cruise lines have caught up in this regard.

$83-$146 pp/pd may seem like good deals to you, but just comparing with my last few cruises, they don't seem that good. We've scored anything from $57 pp/pd for an oceanview along the Pacific Coast on Princess, to $100 pp/pd for a balcony stateroom to Alaska on Holland America, to $48 pp/pd for our upcoming balcony stateroom to the Eastern Caribbean on MSC (yes, all prices including taxes and port charges).

The whole point is that Carnival still has a lot to offer, but they are not the consistent price leader that they once were,

Edited by Tapi

SO lets do the math:

Carnival offers:

--FUN atmosphere

--Bigger cabins

--More ports

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Great post . I highlighted the key passage .

Carnival still offers great value. But I think that we are having this hearty discussion because other cruise lines have caught up in this regard.

$83-$146 pp/pd may seem like good deals to you, but just comparing with my last few cruises, they don't seem that good. We've scored anything from $57 pp/pd for an oceanview along the Pacific Coast on Princess, to $100 pp/pd for a balcony stateroom to Alaska on Holland America, to $48 pp/pd for our upcoming balcony stateroom to the Eastern Caribbean on MSC (yes, all prices including taxes and port charges).

The whole point is that Carnival still has a lot to offer, but they are not the consistent price leader that they once were,

The way you present your bargains makes it sound like the prices on other lines are consistently low, when in fact you manage to locate ones while on specials.

The way you present your bargains makes it sound like the prices on other lines are consistently low, when in fact you manage to locate ones while on specials.

I think the point was one has to shop around. Whenever I book a cruise I always look at several lines (the only thing that I haven't done is run a search in the online TA's sites to include more lines in the search:() and choose the one with the price and itinerary that works for us. The last two times it was CCL, but I do recognize that with some flexibility I might be able to do as well with another line. As with any other form of travel when one books is critical in deciding the price- I just checked the prices for our upcoming cruise on Fascination and prices have gone up $400 since I booked, so it's not the good deal it was 8 months ago.

I find quite the oppsite. I see cruise deals all over Europe that have better itineraries for better prices than those in the U.S. to the caribbean. The reason being airfare is so ridiculous that if potential U.S. customers had to pay $900 each to fly a family of four and the cruise was high you could forget about most American families heading there spending more or air than the cruise itself.

If it were only $900 :cool:

And none of the three deals you mentioned would I take my kids on.

kids clubs are all after thoughts. Well we did MSC but they would prefer not to do the Divina again they said.

If it were just me and the spouse then those deals sound good.

Carnival today reported

2016 Outlook

At this time, cumulative advance bookings for the remainder of 2016 are well ahead of the prior year at slightly higher prices. Since January, booking volumes for the remainder of the year are running ahead of last year’s historically high levels at higher prices.

Carnival today reported

2016 Outlook

At this time, cumulative advance bookings for the remainder of 2016 are well ahead of the prior year at slightly higher prices. Since January, booking volumes for the remainder of the year are running ahead of last year’s historically high levels at higher prices.

Well there you go. Higher bookings mean lower supply means higher prices. Pure and simple economics.

I have more fun on carnival than other lines so I don't care if they are more expensive. We cruise more for the ships than the ports so the fun onboard and the vibe is important to us. $3000 for two of us in a vista suite for 7 nights is a whole lot cheaper than other suite vacations at hotels. Meals and booze alone may add up to $2K in a week. I find cruising to be the cheapest way to vacation well.

Carnival's biggest, newest ship hasn't even done a cruise yet and is already virtually fully booked pretty far out. They'd be dopes to offer deals on that ship. Try some of the smaller ships and some of the Journeys cruises. I've had great luck booking "secret" cabins--the ones with portholes at inside prices on Sunshine and Valor. I booked a cabin with a big glass door on Legend for an inside price(obstructed view). The deals are there, but you have to be selective about dates and ships and cabin locations.

Even though I booked the Vista in Februray for an April 2017 sailing I'm going to say that I don't get that fuzzy feeling of deal that I normally get. In fact, I feel that I just settled even as far as a year out. I've sailed on different lines and Carnival before but I have to tell you there are better deals out there. I used to look at Carnival as a more affordable line but not anymore. I sail next month on the new Norweigan Escape 7 day with my two daughters, booked last year, and paid $1900 with port charges and tax for a balcony. This included two unlimited drink packages, kids soft drink packages, and $25 OBC. Great deal! I booked the new to come MSC Seaside for 2018 today 7 days for $2598. This was a balcony for us four and $200 OBC. I booked the Vista for 2017 8 days and got an inside Cloud 9 spa deck 11 for $2850 with no add-ons. All three are new ships and I feel by far that I'm getting the least from Carnival. They want $3900 for a balcony with no add-ons. Not going to pay a grand more for a balcony. It will be my last on Carnival if this keeps up for sure and if people catch on that there are way better deals out there elseware. Carnival better stop the huge jumps in prices before others jump elseware. Only doing it for my kids at this point. After that they can stick their prices where the sun doesn't shine. Surely others have noticed this as well .......

So very true, prices have gone way over board. Especially after all the cutbacks. The cheerleaders will never see it but the rest of us do.