Give CPAP to porters?

Thoie

I'll be travelling with a CPAP for the first time. I keep hearing that you can bring it on a plane as a "free" hand bag, but I'm wondering if other people ever check them in at the airport? If so, do you put any fragile stickers or anything on it?

At the port, do you give it with the rest of your luggage to be delivered to your cabin, or keep it with you? I think life would be easier if I could hand it off, but everyone always seems to talk about keeping it with you at all times.

"They" are so right---life would be a lot easier if I could check my CPAP. But I wouldn't do that in a million years.

Airline baggage gets tossed around, placed with other things on top, rammed & jammed. The risks are too great. And that's before considering lost luggage! I can't sleep without the danged thing.

Same holds true at the pier. If there's a steward accompanying me, and he wants to carry that piece of luggage for me---fine. Otherwise, it stays in my hot little hand.

Have you ever seen one of the luggage cubes they put our luggage in? Its a big metal cage about 6X6X6. Your C-Pap could be on the very bottom with about 40 pieces of luggage thrown in on top of it. Keep it with you....and anything else that might be remotely considered fragile including meds.

I used to use a C-PAP and I would never give it to anyone. I would carry it on an airplane (which I used to do) and would also carry it on my own to my cabin (never cruised while using the C-PAP).

If you did give it to the porter and it arrived at your cabin broken, what would you do?

Hi,

Apart from it getting damaged what would you do if it went missing.

Pete

This ^^^

We would *never* allow anything that was a medical necessity (meds, devices, whatever) to leave our sight for even a moment.

One of us ALWAYS has "it" (usually a single carry on piece) in our grasp, or at the very least in our direct eyesight AND within our easy reach (so no one could GrabNRun, etc.).

Almost always, we are in physical contact with that piece.

And for truly essential meds, we keep at least a few days extras in separate places, such as purse, computer case (which also doesn't leave our sight).

Worst case... if the main bag vanished and we couldn't get replacements fast, this at least gives us time to get to a place where the essentials could be replaced, or even to get home.

That bag doesn't even go in the trunk of a taxi; it sits on my lap, or on the seat between us.

Clothing? Toiletries? Those can be replaced, and without adverse medical effects on us (okay, other than some grinding of teeth during the process :().

If you did give it to the porter and it arrived at your cabin broken, what would you do?

Hi,

Apart from it getting damaged what would you do if it went missing.

Pete

Do without and get a new one when I get home :D

As long as I don't need to operate heavy machinery while on holiday I could do without it for the trip. I'm mainly bringing it with me in case there's some kind of emergency that needs me to captain the ship while riding a motorbike on the back of a forklift.

Do without and get a new one when I get home :D

As long as I don't need to operate heavy machinery while on holiday I could do without it for the trip. I'm mainly bringing it with me in case there's some kind of emergency that needs me to captain the ship while riding a motorbike on the back of a forklift.

Hi Thoie,

I do appreciate your humour and spirit of your reply but amongst the wit you say you need it for an emergency.

So if it did get damaged or went missing it would cause an emergency situation for the captain as he has a duty of care to you to ensure your well being, he may have to divert to the nearest port and could ruin the plans and holiday of the other passengers.

Pete

Hi Thoie,

I do appreciate your humour and spirit of your reply but amongst the wit you say you need it for an emergency.

So if it did get damaged or went missing it would cause an emergency situation for the captain as he has a duty of care to you to ensure your well being, he may have to divert to the nearest port and could ruin the plans and holiday of the other passengers.

Pete

"Some kind of emergency that requires me to captain the ship".

It honestly wouldn't cause a medical emergency - there's a big question mark around whether or not I need it (which various consultants are discussing at the moment). I suspect I don't, but am sticking with it until the medical experts make their mind up.

As recommended here, I'll carry it on myself, but as you can appreciate, to me it feels like carrying a pair of crutches around the place when you can walk without them. To someone who needs crutches, they'd never countenance anything happening to them or letting them out of their sight. To anyone else they're just a nuisance to be carried.

I'll be travelling with a CPAP for the first time. I keep hearing that you can bring it on a plane as a "free" hand bag, but I'm wondering if other people ever check them in at the airport? If so, do you put any fragile stickers or anything on it?

At the port, do you give it with the rest of your luggage to be delivered to your cabin, or keep it with you? I think life would be easier if I could hand it off, but everyone always seems to talk about keeping it with you at all times.

We have always took our CPAPs as carry on luggage. They do not count as one of your carry ons that you are allowed. We also carry it onto the ship. I have never felt comfortable checking it either at the airport or at the terminal.

Dar

I understand the desire not to carry it around, and your "feeling" that you don't really need it. That said, it was prescribed to you for a reason and, depending on the circumstances, could end up being a real necessity. I always keep all medications and medical equipment with me on the flight and carry it on to the ship. As others have said, I also take at least 3-4 days worth of extra pills in case I am delayed. It would not only be expensive to lose them, it could end up jeopardizing my health and ruining the trip for those I travel with. Short answer- play it safe and keep it with you.

No do not give the Cpap over and if you do you may have to go to the naughty room, and drag your bag up to your cabin. I know that all our bags were scearched but not detained. I got stop at the airport both ways.

I got it so I pack the CPAP into a 21" carry-on on wheels.

Don't forget to file a request with special needs for water and extension cord.

Have a great cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Apparently, we are the lone people who check ours. We have two that we travel with and put in a suitcase that is made for scuba diving equipment. When it was just my husband's, we'd carry it onboard but it is such a hassle at security at the airport that we gave that up. Now we check it, for free as medical equipment. We also give it to the porters. Knock on wood, we've never had an issue.

I would never trust the porters with it. I made the mistake of letting them take my walker foot me since i was on my scooter. They damaged it beyond repair and had to replace it a few days after i got home. They don't care what they're stacking on top of other cases.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk