Wine Packages

LynnTTT

We are going on a transatlantic next month. I've looked at the Princess beverage options and I don't see any wine packages like we've purchased on Royal, Celebrity, Holland etc. I see only a few beer packages and the very expensive "beverage " packages ( $ $ 58 per day)

Does anyone know wine packages are sold once on the ship? I don't want to spend my first day looking for them if it's not available.

We are going on a transatlantic next month. I've looked at the Princess beverage options and I don't see any wine packages like we've purchased on Royal, Celebrity, Holland etc. I see only a few beer packages and the very expensive "beverage " packages ( $ $ 58 per day)

Does anyone know wine packages are sold once on the ship? I don't want to spend my first day looking for them if it's not available.

We purchased the 10 bottle silver wine package. We got 10 bottles of wine for a total of $333.50 (including gratuity). When you board there will be crew members selling the packages. One on the Lido and crew members go from table to table selling the packages. There's also a cheaper package with cheaper wines. The bottles are available only from MDR. We usually pick up 2-3 bottles and take it to our room to enjoy on our balcony.

Princess offers a wine card. There are two versions of it - silver and gold. Silver allows you to pick any wines that are $29 or less. Gold is $45 or less. Each is available for 7, 10 or 12 bottles. The silver is $24, $22 and $20 respectively. So for instance if you buy the 7 bottle card, it is $24 per bottle plus 15% gratuity.

We always buy it from the waiter the first night. You can use it in any of the dining rooms. They will hold an open bottle for you for use another night.

You can get the wine package once on-board. It's only provided on cruises of 10 days or more. They have multiple packages (bronze, silver, gold) based on the not-to-exceed per-bottle cost. i.e.: bronze might be $22, Silver maybe $30 and Gold $42 (or somewhere in that range). There is a discount for number of bottles and level (say $18 a bottle cost for bronze having wine not-to-exceed $22 each assuming your purchase a ticket with 10 bottles.) Generally, it's a good deal. But, you must purchase it when you get on-board and within one day of sailing.

Oh, but don't lose the ticket! if you do, you can't get a refund and someone else is going to enjoy your wine. They stamp it for each bottle opened.

Princess offers a wine card. There are two versions of it - silver and gold. Silver allows you to pick any wines that are $29 or less. Gold is $45 or less. Each is available for 7, 10 or 12 bottles. The silver is $24, $22 and $20 respectively. So for instance if you buy the 7 bottle card, it is $24 per bottle plus 15% gratuity.

We always buy it from the waiter the first night. You can use it in any of the dining rooms. They will hold an open bottle for you for use another night.

We had the silver card and got wine up to $45/bottle. Might be opposite on other ships. I have my statement from the last cruise on Ruby. We bought ours on the Ruby for both cruises. Also, if you go to Happy Hour in the Wheelhouse, you can buy 1 glass of wine and get 1 for $1. We each bought 2 glasses of wine and they brought us the bottle. We bought 2 more each and we asked that the bottle not be opened and we took it back to our room.

We had the silver card and got wine up to $45/bottle. Might be opposite on other ships. I have my statement from the last cruise on Ruby. We bought ours on the Ruby for both cruises. Also, if you go to Happy Hour in the Wheelhouse, you can buy 1 glass of wine and get 1 for $1. We each bought 2 glasses of wine and they brought us the bottle. We bought 2 more each and we asked that the bottle not be opened and we took it back to our room.

Here is a quote from Astro Flyer's post on January 19, 2016:

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

This also what we have experienced for the last 4 or 5 cruises on Princess. The 'gold' package is the one that gets wines up to $45.

I would say you lucked out because Silver is the cheaper package with wines no more than $29/bottle. There is no bronze package as the OP mentioned. If you are doing a B2B longer than 7 days you can purchase a wine package.

All of this is subject to the individual ship having enough of a supply to offer the packages.

I think the BOGO is hit or miss with respect to allowing you an unopened bottle. We asked if we could do that and they refused but good to know that it is inconsistently enforced. On one ship, they allowed us to take unopened champagne splits and beer back to our room ... on others, they restricted it to one each. Nothing booked for the Ruby for us ... but will look into this on our next cruise. If not that, we will definitely just purchase the package or bring our own and pay the corkage fees. Thanks for the info! Sounds promising.

Where can I find a wine list?

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

Here's an excellent Excel spreadsheet created by 'steelets36' that has the wine list & also compares the total per bottle cost of purchasing on the ship & at Total Wine in Ft Lauderdale.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=372694&d=1452007348

Each time the Gold package we purchased had wine up to $45 and Silver was $29 (wine exceeding these limits was allowed by paying the extra cost without adding 15%). We purchase the package from our dining room servers because they'll provide our wine & have read there is a benefit to staff selling drink packages (apparently extra time off).

Last April on an 18 day Regal cruise we ate lunch at Alfredo's Pizzeria during embarkation & asked the headwaiter about purchasing the wine package. He said it was unavailable but would happily sell me the AIBP which at about $55/day was not cost effective for me. That evening our MDR waiter said the wine package was available so we purchased the 12 bottle Gold package.

Here is a quote from Astro Flyer's post on January 19, 2016:

The details on the wine packages are:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase).

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations.

You may choose any wine on on the regular wine menu. If you want to buy a wine that costs more than what the package covers, you just pay the difference. For example, if you have a Gold package and buy a wine that costs $46, the charge for $46 will appear on your stateroom account, followed by a $45 credit.

This also what we have experienced for the last 4 or 5 cruises on Princess. The 'gold' package is the one that gets wines up to $45.

There are two problems with these packages. Several times, they were out of the wines I wanted and Many of the wines I have never had before.

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

There are two problems with these packages. Several times, they were out of the wines I wanted and Many of the wines I have never had before.

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

Princess will explain that this is for your benefit. It creates an opportunity for you to try wines that you ordinarily would not have tasted. :)

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

I've been lucky & only once had our choice unavailable and for me trying new wines is something I enjoy doing. :)

I am unlikely to try a $45 bottle of wine but costing $28 with the 12 bottle Gold package I've discovered some great wines.

I've been lucky & only once had our choice unavailable and for me trying new wines is something I enjoy doing. :)

I am unlikely to try a $45 bottle of wine but costing $28 with the 12 bottle Gold package I've discovered some great wines.

Bevmo has ratings on their 2 4 1 wine selection. Much safer.

Bevmo has ratings on their 2 4 1 wine selection. Much safer.

That's a good option but my tastebuds don't always agree with ratings. ;)

I've found that many times BevMo needs to have a sale price to get as cheap as Total Wine's non-sale price. It's good to have both stores as options for each of us to find our best choice.

I would say you lucked out because Silver is the cheaper package with wines no more than $29/bottle. There is no bronze package as the OP mentioned. If you are doing a B2B longer than 7 days you can purchase a wine package.

All of this is subject to the individual ship having enough of a supply to offer the packages.

I think we did too because I'm looking at my statement and the charge is $333.50. We got 10 bottles of Noblio Sauvignon Blanc. I recall the card saying "silver" and they circled it. Every time we got bottle(s), they punched the card.

I think we did too because I'm looking at my statement and the charge is $333.50. We got 10 bottles of Noblio Sauvignon Blanc. I recall the card saying "silver" and they circled it. Every time we got bottle(s), they punched the card.

I kept the brochure from the wine package and $333.50 is the exact amount for the 10 bottle Gold package ($290+43.50) for wines costing up to $45. I also have a wine package punch card where they circle either Silver or Gold which on that cruise was a 10 bottle Gold package & cost what you paid.

Maybe they circled Silver by mistake because you paid for a 10 bottle Gold package. The Silver 10 bottle package (maximum $29) would have cost $241.50 ($210+$31.50).

The price for Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc on 'steelers36' spreadsheet is $34.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I kept the brochure from the wine package and $333.50 is the exact amount for the 10 bottle Gold package ($290+43.50) for wines costing up to $45. I also have a wine package punch card where they circle either Silver or Gold which on that cruise was a 10 bottle Gold package & cost what you paid.

Maybe they circled Silver by mistake because you paid for a 10 bottle Gold package. The Silver 10 bottle package (maximum $29) would have cost $241.50 ($210+$31.50).

The price for Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc on 'steelers36' spreadsheet is $34.

Thank you for checking your brochure. I even asked DH and he said it was the silver package. I recall us talking about it while eating lunch on Lido. We didn't like the cheaper wine "Blackstone" and one other one from Chile. We got that package on another 10-day Ruby cruise and decided to go with the Noblio from New Zealand on or last Ruby cruise. Now we know which package we want on our New England cruise and to be sure which plan is circled. I can see how easily it would be to get screwed over.

Never heard of Bevmo. is there one in Fort Lauderdale - near the port?

I don't recall a BevMo being in Ft. Lauderdale. We did go to Total Wines once and another liquor store (similar to Costco) close to our hotel. Here's a link that might interest you with liquor stores close to the cruise terminal.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714592