Wine Packages

LynnTTT

That's a good option but my tastebuds don't always agree with ratings. ;)

I've found that many times BevMo needs to have a sale price to get as cheap as Total Wine's non-sale price. It's good to have both stores as options for each of us to find our best choice.

Last time we sailed out of FLL we first stopped at the Publix a few doors down from Total Wine. They had lower prices than Total Wine for a number of wines.

what can you actually bring onboard as far as liquor...never sailed with princess before

thanks

Princess has a great FAQs section on their website with answers to most questions & here's a link to it and a quote about their alcohol policy.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

"As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff.

Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement'.

Most Bevmo 2 for 1 wines are not wines you would want.I also find their prices high. Trader Joes or Safeway is a much better deal. Bevmo is good foe Becks Dark beer,as I cant find it anywhere else

Not true. I have used them several times and have always been satisified. The provide a rating system that helps you get very good value.

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

Princess will explain that this is for your benefit. It creates an opportunity for you to try wines that you ordinarily would not have tasted. :)

TRUDAT! I don't think they allow you to sample it first. I don't mind trying that when buying an $8 glass of wine; however, a $45 bottle is a different story.

Princess has a great FAQs section on their website with answers to most questions & here's a link to it and a quote about their alcohol policy.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

"As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff.

Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement'.

so if I bring more than the 2 allowed bottles I will be charged a $15 corkage fee per bottle. If I take them into the dining room do they charge an additional corkage fee?

so if I bring more than the 2 allowed bottles I will be charged a $15 corkage fee per bottle. If I take them into the dining room do they charge an additional corkage fee?

No. If you pay the corkage fee at embarkation, the bottles will be stamped, and they can consumed anywhere on the ship - dining rooms, bars, etc. without an additional corkage fee.

The one bottle each that is allowed without the corkage fee can not be consumed other than in your cabin - or if you carry it in a glass to a dining room or bar, etc.

No. If you pay the corkage fee at embarkation, the bottles will be stamped, and they can consumed anywhere on the ship - dining rooms, bars, etc. without an additional corkage fee.

The one bottle each that is allowed without the corkage fee can not be consumed other than in your cabin - or if you carry it in a glass to a dining room or bar, etc.

Thank you for clarifying that!

In the past , on longer cruises, we have brought a case of wine on board and just sent it through with our luggage.

This was before Princess implemented the change to have you pay the $15/bottle beyond 2 bottles at embarkation.

We have another long cruise planned and I'm wondering if there is any way to still put the case of wine through with our luggage? I'm fine with paying the corkage, just don't want to schlep the wine with our carry ons.

Any ideas?

They bottles you bring on must be in the carry on luggage. I think they collect it if it is in the checked luggage

it won't be IN the luggage - it'll be a case that is very obviously wine so I was hoping there was a way I could pay for it but still give it to the luggage people.

However, your answer is what I was afraid was the case. :(

In the past , on longer cruises, we have brought a case of wine on board and just sent it through with our luggage.

This was before Princess implemented the change to have you pay the $15/bottle beyond 2 bottles at embarkation.

We have another long cruise planned and I'm wondering if there is any way to still put the case of wine through with our luggage? I'm fine with paying the corkage, just don't want to schlep the wine with our carry ons.

Any ideas?

Karen,

Just got this from our Pacific Princess Rollcall for our 11 May, 2016 cruise:

"We use the sytrofoam wine shippers. If we're cruising from our local port we have a case we carry them in - made for wine. But we don't like to carry the empty bag if we're flying home. We check it with luggage and have no worries. I don't believe the port people are any worse than UPS as far as moving packages! The ship will bring it to you and have you pay the corkage. We're ok with that because we have a great wine cellar! We LIVE in Napa Valley! "

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

Karen,

Just got this from our Pacific Princess Rollcall for our 11 May, 2016 cruise:

"We use the sytrofoam wine shippers. If we're cruising from our local port we have a case we carry them in - made for wine. But we don't like to carry the empty bag if we're flying home. We check it with luggage and have no worries. I don't believe the port people are any worse than UPS as far as moving packages! The ship will bring it to you and have you pay the corkage. We're ok with that because we have a great wine cellar! We LIVE in Napa Valley! "

Pax et bonum,

Kevin Westley T.M.R.F.

Thank you Kevin.

That's what I was hoping.

Happy to go down to the "naughty room" and pay the corkage!

Last time we sailed out of FLL we first stopped at the Publix a few doors down from Total Wine. They had lower prices than Total Wine for a number of wines.

I wouldn't disagree and fair enough if your #1 priority is price. Grocery stores have limited offerings and more mass-produced product. A store like Total has infinitely more variety from all over the world and also finer wine than typical at a grocery store.

Thank you Kevin.

That's what I was hoping.

Happy to go down to the "naughty room" and pay the corkage!

I would not count on that. With policy changes and some reports I have read here, I would not just turn over a case of wine to the baggage handlers without really checking with Princess, or asking a friend who is sailing out from the same location to ask Princess staff, etc.

If you managed to get a case of wine to the pier, it's not all that much further through check-in and on board. Never heard anyone asking this one, but maybe the staff at the table collecting $15/bottle can take your box and have it delivered on board. I just would hate the thought of losing a case of wine by handing it off outside - especially with the new rule about discarding undeclared bottles. I know it's supposed to be for liquor or beer, but what if someone doesn't take a close look? What if the box is dropped? What if Princess staff thinks you are trying to sneak it on without paying $15? I'm not sure Princess has an actual "naughty room".

Edited by steelers36

I'm not sure Princess has an actual "naughty room".

They had a "naughty room" on the Coral Princess & as I recall it was a room on a lower deck not normally accessed by passengers.

We flew into Vancouver on sailing day (something we rarely do) and added a Princess tag to our checked luggage before our non-stop flight. We didn't use a Princess transfer but they went directly to the ship & we were unable to put our 2 bottles in our carryon bags. One bag was delivered to our cabin & one went to the "naughty room" where we opened our bag & they only said nice bottle of wine. ;)

Princess sets up a table to check bottles brought onboard in carryon bags & to charge fees but doubt if they want to turn the "naughty room" into another place to collect fees such as for a case of wine. Experiences with enforcing many Princess policies can vary greatly so anything could happen but I'd be hesitant to check in a case of wine. Although I doubt if they'd ever dispose of it & would probably send a notice to go to the "naughty room" which does exist.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I also know there's a naughty room because my husband packed his handy-dandy-do-everything knife once.

They called him down to identify it , tagged it and gave it back as we exited the ship. (We actually forgot all about it but his card "dinged" when we left and whoever was manning the machine told us to go claim our property.)

I wouldn't disagree and fair enough if your #1 priority is price. Grocery stores have limited offerings and more mass-produced product. A store like Total has infinitely more variety from all over the world and also finer wine than typical at a grocery store.
The Publix near Total Wine had quite a large selection of wine.

Regarding the silver and gold wine bottle packages: if it is available on my cruise and I purchase a wine bottle package, can I order a bottle from room service and count it as a bottle from the package? Or pick up a bottle at one of the on board bars? Or is it only available in the dining rooms?

Regarding the silver and gold wine bottle packages: if it is available on my cruise and I purchase a wine bottle package, can I order a bottle from room service and count it as a bottle from the package? Or pick up a bottle at one of the on board bars? Or is it only available in the dining rooms?

I think it's only from the dining room.

However, you can order it in the dining room and then take it anywhere you want.