Ships of other lines w/ HAL-like promenades

SetAnOpenCourse

All of the Princess Grand Class ships have the wrap around deck described previously. And...Carnival Dream class ships have a full wrap around deck. EM

Do you know if they all have loungers? Per lists on Wikipedia, you are speaking of:

Princess Grand

Princess Golden

Princess Star

Carnival Dream

Carnival Magic

Carnival Breeze

I will count them all as having full wrap-around promenade (walking) decks. Thanks.

Do you know if they all have loungers? Per lists on Wikipedia, you are speaking of:

Princess Grand

Princess Golden

Princess Star

Carnival Dream

Carnival Magic

Carnival Breeze

I will count them all as having full wrap-around promenade (walking) decks. Thanks.

Why not just ask Princess and Carnival on Cruise Critic message boards?

Might be easier.

Lots of loungers on Carnival Dream class. Lots of other amenities on that deck, also. It's a social hub as mush as the pool deck.

Grand class: Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Caribbean, Sapphire. Crown, Emerald and Ruby as much the same, although called Crown class. They all have both chairs and loungers on Promenade deck. EM

All of the Princess Grand Class ships have the wrap around deck described previously. And...Carnival Dream class ships have a full wrap around deck. EM

Carnival Spirit class ships have an outer walking deck on deck three but it isn't full wrap around - it terminates forward on both sides of the ship near the bow. It does go completely around the stern however. I don't recall any loungers (our last trip on a Spirit class ship was five years ago) but I believe there were some storage locker type things that doubled as benches. There is also a deck that goes completely around on deck 10, IIRC.

Why not just ask Princess and Carnival on Cruise Critic message boards?

Might be easier.

That might help get the details, but it's not easier. :o My impression from the HAL forum is that people here have so much cruising experience that it could be a one-stop-shop for this question. I'll see how the list is looking at the end of the week. Already I'm surprised by the number of ships of other lines that do have the full wrap. I thought there'd be just a few.

We've only sailed on HAL, and would stick with them for our next cruise, but I'm not finding the right cruise at the right price. I'm looking at other cruise lines, but it would be of great help if I could start with a list of ships that satisfy our one must-have: promenade deck to stroll on, that also has fairly comfortable lounge chairs to sit and chat, read, snooze, and look at and hear the sea.

We enjoy long walks, so a full wraparound is a big plus, but I won't make that a requirement, because to do so would likely leave us too little to choose from. I would, however, like the deck to be not extremely high on the ship.

In a week or so I will compile a list based on responses as a final post to the thread. Hopefully it will be useful for the research of others.

Based on what I've seen, I think it would be easier to post a list of ships that don't have it. They've been on every NCL and HAL ship I've sailed. They've also been on every RCI ship I've sailed except Oasis Class. Oasis does have it, but it's a walking/running track (no lounge chairs). Plus, every Princess ship I've sailed had one except Regal. The only cruise line I've sailed that doesn't have them fleet-wide is Celebrity.

Edited by Aquahound

Carnival Spirit class ships have an outer walking deck on deck three but it isn't full wrap around - it terminates forward on both sides of the ship near the bow. It does go completely around the stern however. I don't recall any loungers (our last trip on a Spirit class ship was five years ago) but I believe there were some storage locker type things that doubled as benches. There is also a deck that goes completely around on deck 10, IIRC.

Been on Carnival Spirit twice and I enjoyed her promenade deck; it sort of terminates at the bow but at a door that takes you inside to walk around the bow area through the "jungle" and then back out through a door on the other side, so no stairs to climb, just the doors to go through and a short inside stretch. The "jungle' was a nice place to sit by the big round windows and watch the sea or in my first cruise the Alaskan scenery. It's hardly used and very quiet with comfy cushioned chairs facing small tables.

On HAL ships the bow area for the promenade deck is usually a tunnel-like zone with noisy ventilation but no doors or stairs to navigate.

The Princess ships that have the stairs to go up and around the bow have a full open view wrapping around the whole bow area, which can be quite windy while underway but a beautiful place at night for seeing the stars. m--

Attached is a list so far. So far it includes 22 ships (or classes). I appreciate all the help. Any more?

P and O Azura and Ventura have very good promenade decks. They go across the stern so very good view of the wake. And they go round the bow, though this is often closed when sailing, but not difficult to walk though the ship.

Cunard P Elizabeth and P Victoria, good promenade deck as others have mentioned but it doesn't go round the bow (I think, memory playing tricks) and a little tricky to go through the ship.

That might help get the details, but it's not easier. :o My impression from the HAL forum is that people here have so much cruising experience that it could be a one-stop-shop for this question. I'll see how the list is looking at the end of the week. Already I'm surprised by the number of ships of other lines that do have the full wrap. I thought there'd be just a few.

OK. Fair enough. My best suggestion.... go and sail again with HAL! :D

Another idea... which will help. Go to all of the major cruise lines... like Carnival, Costa, Cunard, Princess, NCL, RCI etc etc. E-mail them and ask for 'paper' brochures.... with deck plans. Then it is an easy job to see what ships are having what... and in conjunction with the information you have found on these boards. The brochures will last for a while and can be kept for the future.