Ships of other lines w/ HAL-like promenades

SetAnOpenCourse

We've only sailed on HAL, and would stick with them for our next cruise, but I'm not finding the right cruise at the right price. I'm looking at other cruise lines, but it would be of great help if I could start with a list of ships that satisfy our one must-have: promenade deck to stroll on, that also has fairly comfortable lounge chairs to sit and chat, read, snooze, and look at and hear the sea.

We enjoy long walks, so a full wraparound is a big plus, but I won't make that a requirement, because to do so would likely leave us too little to choose from. I would, however, like the deck to be not extremely high on the ship.

In a week or so I will compile a list based on responses as a final post to the thread. Hopefully it will be useful for the research of others.

Your first choice might be Cunard. Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are virtual twins of Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam and I think Queen Mary 2 has the finest promenade deck at sea.

Crystal ships have a full promenade deck. There are no lounge chairs on it but the aft decks are all public space with an ample supply of lounges. A bit different view but a nice change.

Roy

The only non HAL ship we have been on was NCL Pearl and it had the full promenade deck.

Indeed, all NCL ships prior to their mega ships have full wrap-around promenade decks. Epic has no promenade deck. Subsequent builds (eg. Breakaway, Getaway, and Escape) have the quarter-mile long "Waterfront" promenade with outdoor dining, but this only goes about 2/3 around.

I appreciate all this info.

The OP took the words right out of my mouth: the right cruise at the right price is elusive on HAL this year. Looking for something else and that wrap around promenade has always been a huge plus with HAL.

Thanks for the info!

I appreciate all this info.

The OP took the words right out of my mouth: the right cruise at the right price is elusive on HAL this year. Looking for something else and that wrap around promenade has always been a huge plus with HAL.

Thanks for the info!

What is your "right cruise?"

What is your "right cruise?"

Bottom line, cruise and air on a per diem basis.

For example: HAL Hawaii R/T 18 days (last minute, no less) 2200 pp whereas Princess, same , 15 days 1225 pp, no air for either required, same outside.

HAL is not the right cruise line for us on this.

Another question to ask is who has an enclosed or covered promenade deck like HAL ships. An exposed promenade deck like Crystals is not as useful as HAL's covered ones. Weather dependent. Same with balcony cabins.

Princess Diamond class ships (Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire) have a promenade deck that is narrower but has chairs (not loungers); the bow is fully open to walk around but it is up one level, so to make a complete circuit one has to go up a flight of stairs, walk the bow front and then go down the flight of stairs. There were days the wind was too much in the bow area so we flipped at the bow stairs and went back around the other way. But the chairs are comfy and when it wasn't too busy I"d use two chairs facing each other so I could put my feet up. There may be other Princess ships with wrap around decks, maybe even on one level also, you'd have to check the deck plans.

The Celebrity Solsitce class ships have a partial wrap around promenade deck, does not go across the aft where the dining room is; there are only a few lounge chairs, those are in the wider part of the deck, but there are lounge chairs in the shade on an upper deck.

NCL has many ships with walkable promenade decks (check out the Dawn and Jewel classes: Spirit, Star, Dawn, Jewel, Jade, Pearl, Gem... but few chairs, but again there are loungers in the shade on upper decks.

All the Cunard ships have walk-around decks, not sure about their chairs, have never been on them.

You'll have to look ship-by-ship. I use a website to review deck plans; you can google for cruises and sites will pop up for cruise vacations, some have deck plans for all the ships. I'm sure there are many other sources including each cruise lines website.

I have cruised on these lines except for Cunard, other will hopefully chime in.

Hope you find something to your liking. m--

Bottom line, cruise and air on a per diem basis.

For example: HAL Hawaii R/T 18 days (last minute, no less) 2200 pp whereas Princess, same , 15 days 1225 pp, no air for either required, same outside.

HAL is not the right cruise line for us on this.

I see your point. That is a big difference, and I assume that those were comparable cabins?

I see your point. That is a big difference, and I assume that those were comparable cabins?

Yes, they are.

The difference between $122 and $82 pp per day is more than HAL is worth, for me personally.

And the marginal amount is $975 pp for the 3 extra days on the HAL cruise: unjustifiable to me.

Having done Hawaii on HAL many, many times, we can pass on this one easily.

Edited by SilvertoGold

One of the most perfect Boat Decks.... SAGA ROSE. Bad shape for a ship at over 40 years! Sadly she was broken up a few years ago. Likewise near sistership SAGA RUBY. They have an order for one, or possibly two new ships about the same as HAL's S Class... but only for 1,000 pax. They will have a traditional wrap around Prom deck. One of the things that passenger have asked for.

P1010204.jpg.c580bc8d1ebbddc108e60bb548e581e7.jpg

P1010207.jpg.59f51f4db696122f4f573368fa38a04d.jpg

P1010208.jpg.e19fbb0dfb55948e9daef8bd311cd5ba.jpg

P1010198.jpg.0581ff70e313a9d8d2ed8c34e384ea48.jpg

P1010195.jpg.652dd0059c681b66e7a41705f30be8f6.jpg

P1010194.jpg.02ba821f3d11169b85c43611df84bd4c.jpg

1742412606_SAGANEWBUILD.jpg.fe7f625ca92ed154be337985c3eac2f0.jpg

Princess Diamond class ships (Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire) have a promenade deck that is narrower but has chairs (not loungers); the bow is fully open to walk around but it is up one level, so to make a complete circuit one has to go up a flight of stairs, walk the bow front and then go down the flight of stairs. There were days the wind was too much in the bow area so we flipped at the bow stairs and went back around the other way. But the chairs are comfy and when it wasn't too busy I"d use two chairs facing each other so I could put my feet up. There may be other Princess ships with wrap around decks, maybe even on one level also, you'd have to check the deck plans.

The Celebrity Solsitce class ships have a partial wrap around promenade deck, does not go across the aft where the dining room is; there are only a few lounge chairs, those are in the wider part of the deck, but there are lounge chairs in the shade on an upper deck.

NCL has many ships with walkable promenade decks (check out the Dawn and Jewel classes: Spirit, Star, Dawn, Jewel, Jade, Pearl, Gem... but few chairs, but again there are loungers in the shade on upper decks.

All the Cunard ships have walk-around decks, not sure about their chairs, have never been on them.

You'll have to look ship-by-ship. I use a website to review deck plans; you can google for cruises and sites will pop up for cruise vacations, some have deck plans for all the ships. I'm sure there are many other sources including each cruise lines website.

I have cruised on these lines except for Cunard, other will hopefully chime in.

Hope you find something to your liking. m--

The Diamond and Sapphire Princess are of a different design than the aforementioned Ruby. The Diamond and Sapphire have wide promenade decks with full chaise lounges in place.

m--

Celebrity's ships do not have wrap around access at all, you can't continue forward or aft, and lifeboats block the view of the sea in much of the mid ships exterior deck walking space. Mostly you'll just see smokers out there on one side. It's not comparable at all to walking laps on HAL promenades.

X simply has two lengths of decking outdoors, and to me, it's annoying to have to keep going inside and crossing over to the other side's deck. Your other choice (I recall this on Eclipse at least) is the walking track up on a high deck where you skim past the feet of people sunning themselves on loungers that border the "track."

The true promenade is one of my favorite features on HAL. Glad to read here about these others as well.

Attached is a list so far. So far it includes 22 ships (or classes). I appreciate all the help. Any more?

Does anyone knows how to insert a table into the body of a message on this forum (preferably with gridlines)?

All Cunard ships have loungers

Roy

Sadly, promenade decks are quickly becoming a thing of the past. It's a shame that so many newbuilds lack this feature. I suspect that cruise line management thinks that passengers relaxing in a padded deck chair AWAY from the mega screen TV at the main pool is a lost revenue production oopportunity (I'm talking about you, Regal Princess ! ) Another feature also disappearing is the aft view pool. I just returned from an Panama Canal cruise on the Zuiderdam and the promenade deck was utterly delightful on sea days. I'm a card carrying member of the promenade deck/aft pool club !

I agree that it is a huge plus to have it!! Once you experience it, you really miss it not being there. Some of the larger ships have partial ones like Celebrity Equinox and MSC Divina but no comfortable loungers. Even though we had a balcony cabin, I fell asleep twice there on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam!!!