Ketchikan suggestions

lbfluffy

Currently we have Ketchikan Taxi Cab tours booked for our June cruise. It's just two of us and the cost is $74 an hour which is high for us. However the van can hold up to six people which would make it easier to deal with the cost. I've posted on different forums to find people and the tour operator said he would try to find other people. He said there are three other ships in port on June 26th so it is pretty likely. But if I don't find other people I'm going to have to go to Plab B, finding something else to do. Any suggestions? We do not want to fish or go on any helicopters. We just want to get the most out of Ketchikan. We've never been there.

is there nothing of interest in your ships excursion list? Many of those options can be done diy or with an independent vendor ...

You didn't indicate your interests, physical ability, budget, but since you mentioned cost, I'll suggest a budget friendly option. Take the city bus $2 to Totem Bight to view the totems - the totems are fascinating and the waterfront location is stunning. You can also pick up a free map at the dock for a self guided tour of the town ... creek street, married man's trail, fish ladder, etc

Info and map on town web site:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

Find the PDF of the ships that'll be in Ketchikan that day, track down their roll calls, and post there that you're looking to split an excursion. Might as well broaden your scope to the exact audience.

I did post on all roll calls of the ships that will be in port the same day. I know I'm a little over two months away so maybe someone will be interested. We are fairly active, I'm 49 hubby 51. The only real limitation I may have is my right shoulder since I had surgery four months ago, but it's healing, just no zip lining this time around.

Thanks for suggestions.

if the tour has an itinerary you might want to post the details; it might entice others to join. And if it doesn't, you should read up and determine where you want to go.

The company says it's never the same tour, but they visit the main points of interest. They say every tour is different. I know we will see the totem poles, wildlife. Trip advisor has outstanding reviews.

Do the " Greatest Catch" tour either thru the ship or independently - it is wonderful and you will probably see whales and eagles along the way...

Well worth the money..

eclue:rolleyes:

Do the " Greatest Catch" tour either thru the ship or independently - it is wonderful and you will probably see whales and eagles along the way...

Well worth the money..

eclue:rolleyes:

I'll look into it.

Ketchikan is totally walkable, provided mobility is not an issue. There are public buses that you can take to either Totem location. For $1!! What a deal! There is plenty to do just walking along Creek St. You can take the funicular to get a better view of town.

Can someone suggest a good restaurant in Ketchikan?

Not a lot of choices. Alaska Fish House and Crab Cracker at "Salmon Landing", basically the southern end of the main town docks. Annabelle's has a four-page menu (i.e. variety) and it's near dock 4, but don't know how good/bad it is. Cape Fox Lodge is at the top of the hill behind Creek St. - not as fancy as you might expect for the price, but it is a decent sit-down place with a nice view if the clouds go away. We had Wild Wolf Tours drop us off there for lunch, and would have taken a cab down (due to the amount of camera gear we had) but the hotel shuttle was going into town anyway so they graciously offered to take us back to our ship.

There might be a few others further "up-town"...I didn't research too deeply there.

The last time we were in Ketchikan, we spent the day walking around town, did a little shopping, then took the funicular ride up the hill and ate lunch at Cape Fox Lodge. We enjoyed our meal and then walked back to the ship. The weather was pleasant and we had a nice, leisurely experience.

You might enjoy seeing a short slideshow my wife made for her website with some of the pictures she took that day. Seeing pictures might help you decide what to do. The link below will take you there.

Ketchikan Walk Around Town

Alaska is amazing. You will have a great cruise!

Great pictures. Looks like you had a warm sunny day too. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for viewing the slideshow I suggested. Yes, we did have a nice sunny day. The first time we were in Ketchikan, it was raining but we still had a great time on our shore excursion which was a walk through the rain forest.

If you're interested, you can view that slideshow at the link just below. My wife got a great picture of a brown bear that ran across the path in front of us then climbed up in a tree.

Star Princess Alaska Cruise round trip from Seattle

Happy Cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

After visiting the Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours site and reading about what you get for your money, it actually sounds very reasonable, especially if you are able to split the cost with another couple or two.

We paid around $45 each for the Duck Boat last year. It was a great tour, the guide was very entertaining, and we thought it was money well spent. That only lasted about an hour, and was $225 for 5 of us.

I'll definitely be looking into this tour for any future trips to Ketchikan.

Edited by hapster85

We used them last September. Signed up for a 3 hours tour & enjoyed very nice weather for that time of year. We found another couple on our roll call to share expenses. All of us are avid photographers & asked for the best spots for eagles & wildlife. With 4 people this worked out well. 6 people will be tight in one of their vans. 9am-noon was our time frame. This still gave us time to go to Totem Bright & Saxman Native Village. For us, it was worth it to cover much ground, take photos, & learn more about the native cultures. The totem poles telling interesting stories, along with very nice art work. We did not make it into the clan house as they were have a private party showing during our time.

The taxi will only suggest items of interest. You are in control to use this vehicle as you see fit. Dave gave us some history & his knowledge about living in Ketchikan for over 25 years.

As others have suggested, there are many other activities you can do on your own for less money.

We then went back to the ship & removed some unnecessary clothing items. Then returned to shore to discover town on our own. It was a full day & all the walking was easy. We are in our mid 60's & average shape. We encountered no problems during this long day & grabbed a nice cold Akaskan Brew in one of the restaurants to celebrate all of our activities & then returned to the ship for early dinner. Enjoyed the sail-a-way from our balcony as the sunlight was beginning to fade.

Happy Travels, John

Edited by onespots