First pregnancy on cruise

louca99

I am making this thread to ask other momma's about any cruising tips while pregnant. Also has anyone cruised recently to the "Zika" areas while pregnant. We are just planning on going to a few beaches one in the Rotan and another in Costa maya. I don't mind wearing bug spray but I do not want to put myself in a bubble, mind you I care very much for my unborn baby. ( please no rudeness☺️)I will be traveling with my husband and another couple on the Getaway this June.

Personally, I would not be travelling anywhere Zika virus may be present. My daughter-in-law just cancelled a trip to Cuba. She is in her first trimester. You really need to speak to your OB-GYN about this.

We traveled to Laos and Thailand while my wife was pregnant - the biggest risk being malaria. Having said that, until they know more about Zika, I personally wouldn't risk the trip you are considering. Of course you can't live in a bubble but you may want to, at least for this cruise. Wear lots of bug spray!

I am trying not to be judgmental but I am guessing you are going to get a flurry of exactly that..

If you were my daughter I would encourage you to either cancel your trip or at least stay on the ship (and still wear bug spray). Too many unknowns at this time. I am not an alarmist but practice common sense. Whatever your choice - be safe and have a wonderful pregnancy & birth.:)

I am making this thread to ask other momma's about any cruising tips while pregnant. Also has anyone cruised recently to the "Zika" areas while pregnant. We are just planning on going to a few beaches one in the Rotan and another in Costa maya. I don't mind wearing bug spray but I do not want to put myself in a bubble, mind you I care very much for my unborn baby. ( please no rudeness☺️)I will be traveling with my husband and another couple on the Getaway this June.

I went on a cruise when I was 14 weeks with our son and we had a great time. Our bar bill was the lowest it's ever been :D and my hormones were in high gear (my husband went off snorkeling, I couldn't find him, so I started crying thinking I was going to be a single parent....) :rolleyes:

My only tip is to bring crackers and/or whatever soothes your stomach for motion sickness. The few times I have gotten motion sick, I used a topical oil called MotionEaze, and it helped me.

As for the Zika Virus, I would load up on bug spray!!! I would also suggest doing your own research on the Zika virus to make your own decision on going or not. What I have heard and read, I wouldn't be going for the safety of my unborn child.

Edited by Mrs.C05

The baby should come before any cruise. Zika is a real thing and nothing to mess with with. A cruise you can take any time. Chancing your childs life is a whole different thing.

Edited by janpo

What does the CDC say about travel for pregnant women to your cruise ports?

What does your doctor say?

These two sources are your best bet for making an informed decision. I would not ask here. I believe the cruise lines are allowing pregnant women to cancel without penalty even after final payment due to the risk in certain areas.

My goodness... postponing a cruise - or any vacation! - for a few months (or even going on a *different* vacation) is hardly "living in a bubble"!

There are always trade-offs, for just about any decision.

However, the potential "downside" here is catastrophic.

You are fortunate.

All you need to do is take a *different* vacation in June and/or plan this cruise for a time you won't be pregnant.

We are all very fortunate, to be here discussing our cruise vacations.

Most of the complaints here (and we have been among the complainers on occasion) are true first world problems.

Plan a trip to a "Zika area" later.

(Thought experiment: You go on this cruise. You catch Zika, symptomatic or not. Your baby is terribly affected. How will you feel then!? And this can be avoided! If only all problems could be avoided....!)

It will be a decision only you can make, but there is another angle. Even if you go, stay on the ship (which I wouldn't want to do), there is still the potential of hubby to contract it. It's a fact it is sexually transmitted. So with all things considered due to the pregnancy, I'd think twice about going. Quite a disappointing decision, the chance of anything happening is low, but possible.

I really love that I have come to the point in my life where I can do what I want and not worry about others opinions....I'm not talking about Zika btw....I'm talking about not being cajoled by others to partake in things I don't want to or just shouldn't do....but my take from the op is this....

First time mother to be..

Possibly on the youngish under 30 side

Husband and travel companions who are really wanting to cruise that are probably saying....you can't change your plans because of this virus...because then the virus wins. Or some ridiculous take on that sort of idea

I have 4 kids and hated listening to doctors advice the first time...why....because it was still all about me.....after 4 kids one just understand things rationally thank god

The old saying...."if youth but knew, what age could tell". Is so true here

Op....cancel your cruise and to heck with the crap your travel companions will throw at you

Alternately....do whatever you want but be prepared to be held responsible for the high level of care your baby MAY require

And yes I know there is also an excellent chance that absolutely nothing will go wrong.

Still. Cancel the cruise

While I have not cruised while pregnant I want to give you one piece of advice!

Bring whatever sun screen you think you need, then double it! I was in my first trimester with my youngest when we went to Texas to visit my inlaws, ended up at Galveston for the day to take our current son to the beach. Before then, the only places I had ever gotten sunburn in 21 years was my nose/cheeks and the bottom of my feet, even not using sun screen. It took me 9 YEARS to get rid of the lines I burned so badly when I was pregnant because of the sun change (we are from the North East).

While I understand others position, I say just be as cautious as you can and enjoy yourself. I have thought about this all (because I am trying to convince my DH and doctors to agree to another baby, all are hesitant cause well our oldest will be 18 next month!) and I think the only thing I would personally cancel for would be a land vacation where there is a high level of warning.

Just like things with Malaria, when you look at the actual places they are, the CDC generally says the cruise ports are safer than the rest of the country with warnings. Alas even looking at the current Zika "maps" for the US, a lot of the US cases have been in places with cruise ports. But not knowing where or how people contracted the disease makes it tougher to figure out.

Ultimately the choice is yours, but I just wanted to let you know that while people do worry, not everyone out there thinks one should cancel on a chance that something could happen. I think if that is the case, we should just never leave our houses unless we are in a bullet and bomb proof vehicle!

While I have not cruised while pregnant I want to give you one piece of advice!

Bring whatever sun screen you think you need, then double it! I was in my first trimester with my youngest when we went to Texas to visit my inlaws, ended up at Galveston for the day to take our current son to the beach. Before then, the only places I had ever gotten sunburn in 21 years was my nose/cheeks and the bottom of my feet, even not using sun screen. It took me 9 YEARS to get rid of the lines I burned so badly when I was pregnant because of the sun change (we are from the North East).

While I understand others position, I say just be as cautious as you can and enjoy yourself. I have thought about this all (because I am trying to convince my DH and doctors to agree to another baby, all are hesitant cause well our oldest will be 18 next month!) and I think the only thing I would personally cancel for would be a land vacation where there is a high level of warning.

Just like things with Malaria, when you look at the actual places they are, the CDC generally says the cruise ports are safer than the rest of the country with warnings. Alas even looking at the current Zika "maps" for the US, a lot of the US cases have been in places with cruise ports. But not knowing where or how people contracted the disease makes it tougher to figure out.

Ultimately the choice is yours, but I just wanted to let you know that while people do worry, not everyone out there thinks one should cancel on a chance that something could happen. I think if that is the case, we should just never leave our houses unless we are in a bullet and bomb proof vehicle!

I understand your point, and obviously everyone has their own sets of concerns and priorities.

But to repeat, OP doesn't need to "never leave our houses unless we are in a bullet and bomb proof vehicle"!

All she has to do is postpone a vacation in one particular general area, for a few months.

She can cruise elsewhere at that same time.

She can cruise *there* after the baby is born.

She can do BOTH of these things!

It's a very temporary window of time, to do one's very best to avoid what could be a catastrophic event that lasts a lifetime (of both mother and child, should the worst occur).

It's not a minor malady.

And I fear that OP is in for some rude surprises about how the baby-then child-then teenager IS going to "interfere with life"... in many ways over the years.

i suspect your Dr. will recommend not going to the Zika infected area. While we all have a small sense of immortality, risk vs gain is not equal here. It is recommended any women of childbearing age not get pregnant for 3 yrs if she has traveled to these areas. So being pregnant and possibly becoming pregnant again in the next 3 yrs is a big risk.

I am a pediatric nurse...I'm dreading the after affects of this virus. It has slowed but I would be a basket case if I was in your position. Hawaii is free of the virus..hint hint

You can get a cheap vacation to Syria right now and not have to worry about Zika. [emoji6]

Agreed!!! Btw, the OP created account today & this is the only post... Probably a pot stirrer and everyone is jumping in 😳

Some OPs have way too much time on their hands...

The U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) says that pregnant women should delay any plans for areas that have been identified as Zika infected.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/index.html

If you don't listen to all the posters in this thread that are telling you this is a terrible idea, please listen to what the CDC says.

I actually learned some stuff researching this morning on this. Zika is linked to microcephaly.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/microcephaly.html

To knowingly put your unborn child at risk is vile. I will not lecture you from the viewpoint of a Neonatologist.

If your OB approves this trip, he/she is committing malpractice.

Edited by DrNora

Wow she said no rudeness... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and on how they want to live their life. And honestly zika has been around for 30+ years. This isn't a new crisis and an OB friend of mine said that it's more likely to get into a car accident then to catch the Zika virus going on a cruise to these areas. So maybe we should stop driving while pregnant?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To knowingly put your unborn child at risk is vile. I will not lecture you from the viewpoint of a Neonatologist.

If your OB approves this trip, he/she is committing malpractice.

Thank you Doctor Nora.

Wow she said no rudeness... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and on how they want to live their life. And honestly zika has been around for 30+ years. This isn't a new crisis and an OB friend of mine said that it's more likely to get into a car accident then to catch the Zika virus going on a cruise to these areas. So maybe we should stop driving while pregnant?

Yes, Zika has been around for a long time, but in the past it was just a mild illness. Only recently has it been linked to microcephaly and severe brain defects in infants whose mothers were bitten during pregnancy. Viruses can mutate. Until now, there were only 2 viruses known to cause microcephaly in infants, one of them Rubella, or measles. Neither of the two viruses were transmitted by mosquitos.

There are now 641 cases of confirmed microcephaly in Brazil with another 4,222 cases under investigation, according to the CDC. The OP is not traveling to Brazil, but Zika is spreading through the mosquito population and is being found in other areas.

This is not something to take lightly.

Edited by punkincc

Please do a little research before telling the OP not to worry about Zika. Driving a car while pregnant is not comparable...how silly.