Two more Royal-class ships ordered for Princess Cruises

dmwnc1959

I believe that there are two sides to the bath, one for women and one for men and there is no clothing in the bath. The sides change throughout the day so men and women can be in either side. The outside pool is for all and swimwear is required.

That's what I remember, the nude bath. Not sure that would go over well here? :eek:

I still don't see Princess Cruises sending Diamond Princess stateside. I do see them sending one of the Royal-class over there, and sending Sapphire Princess back. We could have: two Royal-class winter in the Caribbean, summer in the Med and Nothern Europe/British Isles; one on the west coast alternating between Mexican Riviera, Hawaii, South America, and/or Alaska; one in China; and one in Japan.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

That's my hope & it's about time they deployed a Royal-class ship to the West Coast. ;)

Fingers crossed. On my Aus Diamond cruise, they made clear that bathing suits were required in both the inside and outside baths. They said that any cruise that isn't strictly Asian requires the bathing suits in all the areas.

Fingers crossed. On my Aus Diamond cruise, they made clear that bathing suits were required in both the inside and outside baths. They said that any cruise that isn't strictly Asian requires the bathing suits in all the areas.
I thought I saw that there was still an early slot with clothing optional even on those cruises although suits were required at all other times. I believe you only booked for 90 minutes or so.

I thought I saw that there was still an early slot with clothing optional even on those cruises although suits were required at all other times. I believe you only booked for 90 minutes or so.

I'm reporting what I heard on the Wake Show on the Diamond. They said suits were mandatory, and they didn't say anything about "naked hour." What they may have done on other voyages, I can't say.

I'm reporting what I heard on the Wake Show on the Diamond. They said suits were mandatory, and they didn't say anything about "naked hour." What they may have done on other voyages, I can't say.
I'm sure that was true on your cruise and many others outside of Japan. I just seem to remember a post were that was the option.

Guest arowe6

Look Dave. You're already up to 3 pages on this thread and it's only about 24 hours old. You're clearly destined to own the new threads. Justtttt saying....

It sounds like they may have had a problem with some pax trying to use the area in their birthday suit. Someone from Japan or other Asian country who had sailed on the Diamond out of one of those ports may have either used the area or heard about the area being a "no clothing" area and assumed it was still in effect.

I am curious what an auto-pottie exactly is. I know in airports they have toilets that flush when you stand up. They use a proximity switch. Are those what you are calling an auto-pottie?

I am curious what an auto-pottie exactly is. I know in airports they have toilets that flush when you stand up. They use a proximity switch. Are those what you are calling an auto-pottie?

In some of the public restrooms and in the suites (I heard) they have these weird toilets that spray water on your bottom and also heat up the seats and other stuff. :eek: The controls are right there, but I never touched them. I guess it's some Japanese thing. There was a thread here some time back that talked about them.

Hey, Dave.

Glad you are well.

We are happy with the Royal Class news. DW and I have been on 4 Royal cruises and 2 Regal cruises since "The Great Thread". We also have another one planned on the Regal this winter!

Thanks for the news.

Paul

Yay! Now hopefully they'll actually come to the U.S.!

Carnival Corp (which released that press release) and which owns Princess has stated that about 80% of the growth in capacity over the next several years will be going to China.

Growth in the USA market is being purposely restricted to create "relative scarcity" which will in effect drive up pricing and thus profits.

So I would expect at least one of the newly confirmed Princess ships to head to China.

Look Dave. You're already up to 3 pages on this thread and it's only about 24 hours old. You're clearly destined to own the new threads. Justtttt saying....

Andrew, you crack me up. I'm getting old and my eyesight isn't what it used to be. They'll need fresh eyes and someone with a knack for writing. The ball is in your court. lol ;)

Hey, Dave.

Glad you are well.

We are happy with the Royal Class news. DW and I have been on 4 Royal cruises and 2 Regal cruises since "The Great Thread". We also have another one planned on the Regal this winter!

Thanks for the news.

Paul

Hi Paul! I only wish I had as much sea time on these lovely ladies as you! I'm all peanut butter and jealous. When I win the lottery I'm booking permanent residence on one of these and sailing off into a glorious sunset retirement. :D

Carnival Corp (which released that press release) and which owns Princess has stated that about 80% of the growth in capacity over the next several years will be going to China.

Growth in the USA market is being purposely restricted to create "relative scarcity" which will in effect drive up pricing and thus profits.

So I would expect at least one of the newly confirmed Princess ships to head to China.

It seems like I've read where other cruise lines are pulling back on their expansion and growth in China. It would seem appropriate for Carnival Corporation to remain fluid and adjust their capacity depending on how the economy of China looks in a couple of years. Right now, maybe not so much a good idea?

:confused:

Edited by dmwnc1959

I wonder if the Costa ships and the P&O ship will be modifications to the current Costa flagship, the 132,500-ton Costa Diadema (Dream)?

Tonnage is just a measure of volume. The Royal and Regal are 141,000-ton while the Majestic is 143,000-ton and the new builds will be 143,700-ton. At least part of the 2,000-ton increase in volume on the Majestic is the addition of 60 mini-suites on Emerald deck that extend over the Promenade deck about 9-10 feet. Looks like the will be a little more space added to the new builds somewhere.

I'm wondering if the increased tonnage is also in part related to the Retreat pool being covered on the Majestic. I believe a photo/video that we've seen seems to show a covered forward pool.

Hey Dave, great to see you back and posting a bit. I'm also happy with this announcement and I'm sure that Princess will make modifications to their design based on their experience with the Royal and Regal and possibly the Majestic as well.

Hey Dave great to see you back on the boards! What Broadway Tour are you on? We see all the touring Broadway musicals when they come through St. Louis.

Was excited to hear this morning that Princess was getting a 2nd new build! Scott has already put his money on Sovereign Princess as the name for ship #4, and I'm going with Noble Princess as the name for ship #5.

Imperial Princess can't be overlooked.

Hopefully, then, we may get one of the Royal class ships on the West Coast, however, we may have to wait a bit.

It looks like, despite all of the naysayers, that the Royal and Regal are doing very well!

I could also imagine to see one of the new class of ships coming to West Coast (no matter whether Regal, Royal or one of the two new ones) and Hawaii, since IMHO those itineraries seem to do very well.

I would also hope to see one of the new ships coming to Europe.

Or one of the new ships to Australia, maybe to compete with RCCL's Quantum Class?

As long as it will not be China, it does not REALLY matter for me - but I also wouldn't like the same Caribbean sailings year-round.

Hey Dave, great to see you back and posting a bit. I'm also happy with this announcement and I'm sure that Princess will make modifications to their design based on their experience with the Royal and Regal and possibly the Majestic as well.

Hi Benny,

I'd also like to see them mix things up a bit, and replace Princess Live! with another lounge similar to the Explorer's Lounge on the Grand-class. I think it would be a mistake to have all five Royal-class exactly identical; so change out Sabatini's (now Share?) with something else, maybe like one of the restaurant styles the Soltice-class of Celebrity Cruises has, replace Princess Live! on the next two ships, and ditch Celebrations in favor moving Gelato a little further aft and then expanding Vines into a Wine/Tapas Bar like Vintages on Allure of the Seas.

Hi Benny,

I'd also like to see them mix things up a bit, and replace Princess Live! with another lounge similar to the Explorer's Lounge on the Grand-class. I think it would be a mistake to have all five Royal-class exactly identical; so change out Sabatini's (now Share?) with something else, maybe like one of the restaurant styles the Soltice-class of Celebrity Cruises has, replace Princess Live! on the next two ships, and ditch Celebrations in favor moving Gelato a little further aft and then expanding Vines into a Wine/Tapas Bar like Vintages on Allure of the Seas.

Dave, There are already some tweaks to the public spaces on the Majestic on the Plaza, Fiesta and Promenade decks but names haven't been added to the spaces. This will probably be specific to the China market. The only locations with names are International Cafe, Vines and Bar Piazza on Plaza deck, Bellini's and Alfredo's on Plaza deck and Princess Live and Crown Grill and Bar on Promenade deck. There is no Sabatini's, Gelato, Celebrations, Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar or Crooners shown for now. Edited by IECalCruiser

I have subscriptions to the Broadway Across America series when they come to Pittsburgh. That, along with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra's 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 "Pops" and "Grand Classic" series, I've been seeing a LOT of shows.

Sovereign Princess and Noble Princess sound wonderful. I like those!

And as much as I personally LOVE the Royal-class, I'd also love to see the Sapphire Princess return to the Caribbean.

Hi Dave. Glad to see you posting.....:):):)

Bob

Imperial Princess can't be overlooked.

I think when they chose Majestic Princess that took Imperial Princess out of the equation. Seemed like Imperial should have been the name for the China based ship. Just my thought.

Yes I am hoping Princess will do the correct thing by adding a few solo balcony cabins like they have with their P&O ships on these two new ships.Then they will have the honor of my company again:);)

Tonnage is just a measure of volume. The Royal and Regal are 141,000-ton while the Majestic is 143,000-ton and the new builds will be 143,700-ton. At least part of the 2,000-ton increase in volume on the Majestic is the addition of 60 mini-suites on Emerald deck that extend over the Promenade deck about 9-10 feet. Looks like the will be a little more space added to the new builds somewhere.

Exactly Royal and Regal Princess are measured with 142,714 GT (141,000 GT is just a rough measurement), and Britannia (P&O) measures 143,730 GT.

Maybe in the press release they just gave more precise information on the ship's tonnage - or an additional decck will be installed, or the ships might be slightly longer.

Regardless the design and the rooms, are there any significant construction differences between Royal/Regal Princess and P&O's Britannia? E. g. one additional deck or similar??

Edited by celebrity_fan