FAA grounded all flights to Florida missed cruise

I was at the port yesterday for a Car Auction (the convention center is at the port). It took us over 30 minutes to get in to the port from the main road (17th street) because there were so many people waiting to get IN. I live in South Florida and have never seen so much traffic on 17th street on a Saturday. (Yes, there were quite a few ships there). I did NOT seem to me that 1,000 people on just the Oasis missed the ship...

Also, air traffic did not appear to be closed. My three year old was remarking on the planes in the sky while we waited in the car line.

I looked at the webcam yesterday and there were 5 or 6 ships in port. I doubt you would have been able to tell how many people may have missed the Oasis by the traffic headed into the port.

Really dude u read that entire contract every time, certainly it would have been advisable to know cancellation policies no doubt about it, however, I cancel hotels all the time, get money back, I cancelled Southwest Airlines yesterday got every mile and penny back didn't ask any questions, we didn't make an all inclusive in Turks 3 years ago got 90% back, we miss a cruise due to FAA grounding flight I get zero. Regardless of what contract says, simply not right and something needs to be done. They can't keep u on Tarmac for more than an hour anymore, right policies were changed!!!!!!

YES!! EVERY CONTRACT, EVERY TIME.... I want to know what I am agreeing to. Perhaps in the future, you should as well.....

Your right we should have gone down day before, however if u look at all the posts around all sites cruise companies have been taking advantage of passengers for years, again regardless of policy there is a right and wrong way to handle these situations, I would hope you would agree. And, anytime you want to compare heads you let me know!

Sorry this happened to you. That is a lot of money regardless of how much you make. Hopefully other folks will learn from your situation.

There is no truth to this whatsoever. All one needs to do is go to a flight tracker site and they can see this isn't true. Heck, even here in Key West, we had 15 flights go out yesterday that landed safely, and on time, in Ft Lauderdale.

Would not surprise me if the airline lied to the passengers. BTW, greetings... I grew up in KW and still have our family house down there...

We have friends who got off Oasis on Saturday and had their flight home (to Columbus OH) cancelled due to weather. So I'm sure there were some issues. The rest of the story though, who knows?

I'm guessing the reason that the group didn't split up (some without passports on Allure, the rest flying to meet Oasis) is because the ones without passports were minor children.

Horrible to miss your vacation and disappoint your children and other family members. Even more horrible to realize that you didn't adequately prepare and so couldn't fix the situation. I have empathy for that. I've made poor judgement calls myself.

What I can't agree with is that somehow the cruise line owes the passengers a refund. The poster commented that Southwest was refunding the cancelled flights - that is what Royal would have done (and has in the past) when weather has caused them to cancel cruises. They've gone above an beyond even when they weren't obligated to. The case of missing the trip due to the passenger being unprepared is a different one. There is no reason at that Royal should assume the $11,000 loss.

If the OP wrecked an $11,000 car without insurance, I'm sure he would not expect his car dealership to just hand him a new $11,000 car. Very tough lesson.

Really dude u read that entire contract every time, certainly it would have been advisable to know cancellation policies no doubt about it, however, I cancel hotels all the time, get money back, I cancelled Southwest Airlines yesterday got every mile and penny back didn't ask any questions, we didn't make an all inclusive in Turks 3 years ago got 90% back, we miss a cruise due to FAA grounding flight I get zero. Regardless of what contract says, simply not right and something needs to be done. They can't keep u on Tarmac for more than an hour anymore, right policies were changed!!!!!!

I was wondering if you were on SW... they seem to be more impacted by the weather than other carriers. Seriously, I would do as much as I could to verify their version of the FAA closure.

Very interesting reading all of the responses I have received on this issue, I have to say I am a bit surprised. It is funny to me that we have turned into a society of nothing but "hedging your bets with insurance, trips, TVs, life, property, and almost anything u can think of, circuit city went of of biz 10 years ago but they showed a loss the last 5 years in products sales and a $90million dollar profit in insurance for those products. Really? As far as passports go my daughters passport expired in March she turns 18 on April 23 we didn't want another minor passport when she could get an adult passport in 22 days, cheap no, I could afford as many passports as they could issue just not smart. Whatever

OP - you shouldn't be surprised. Most people believe in personal accountability. You knew (or should have known) the cruise line's refund policy. It's irrelevant what's "reasonable." The only relevant issue is you cancelled after the no refund period, you chose not to buy insurance, and you didn't have sufficient passports. You made these choices and you have to live with it. Other people who actually choose to spend their hard-earned money on insurance, passports, etc. typically don't take kindly to people to choose to save that money and then complain afterward. You gambled and lost - learn and move on.

The credit card company is a good idea I spoke to them this morning, chase visa, interesting they too agreed thru slews of complaints over the years that the cruise industry had been taking advantage of its passengers for decades. I also agree that going down day before is good idea. However, Look at RCIs perspectus they made more than $4 million in profit from TI and no I do not think it is FAA fault and no I am not looking for refund, simply take the expenses out of my money for this trip and allow me to use remaining on another cruise. Come on that's reasonable!

No it isn't!

It your stupidity. You're the one who didn't have the appropriate travel documents. You're the one who didn't fly in the day before. You're the one who didn't have the travel insurance.

Your lack of planning cost the cruise line money.

That's on you.

They will allow you to use the remaining balance of your 11000 on a future cruise. Since you didn't cancel outside of the allowable period, the remaining balance is 0. Feel free to apply that to a future cruise.

I did the math and in 10.5 years and 18 cruises we've spent approximately $4500 on cruise insurance. More than worth the peace of mind. DH's parents are 83 and 86 and mine are both 79. We have to be prepared. DH is recovering from a back issue that occurred on Friday. He would have been hard pressed to fly or take the train (which is what we are doing Thursday) before today. We're 56 and 58 and in very good health, but you never know. It doesn't really matter what your age is, accidents happen, appendixes decide to go, gall bladders act up, etc. Don't assume because you are "young" that you are immune to any issues that could impact your ability to cruise.

Also, we are on Amtrak on Thursday. There was an accident near Philly today that severely impacted train travel. We will be fine on Thursday but we always have a back up plan (driving) and go the day before. The only port we do not go a day ahead of time is Baltimore because we are less than 70 miles from the port. But, even going there, we give ourselves a minimum of 3 hours to get there.

If you looked at flightstats.com for FLL yesterday, you can scroll through the dozens of inbound

flights that were delayed by 3 hours at least. It went on for hours!

t

Delayed, not cancelled and certainly not 1000 cruisers missing one cruise ship. Regardless, the OP made a decision to not get insurance. Not the cruiseline or the airlines' issue. Personal problem.

Delayed, not cancelled and certainly not 1000 cruisers missing one cruise ship. Regardless, the OP made a decision to not get insurance. Not the cruiseline or the airlines' issue. Personal problem.

There have been a few posts that stated there was no problem with the weather yesterday. Flightstats shows dozens of inbound flights delayed for hours, which would put the passengers into FLL too late to make the cruise.

If you read my post, I didn't say it was the airlline or cruise line responsibility, I commented on the weather situation .

Edited by emdia43

There have been a few posts that stated there was no problem with the weather yesterday. Flightstats shows dozens of them delayed for hours, which would put the passengers into FLL too late to make the cruise.

If you read my post, I didn't say it was the airlline or cruise line responsibility, I commented on the weather situation .

Don't get defensive. Weather was dependent on where in the state you were. That said, it's still a personal problem and lack of personal responsibility on the OP's part.

OP has never addressed the 1000 passengers statement he made. Drama, for drama's sake on his part.

Edited by BND

We got off Vision yesterday and had an 11:15 flight out of Tampa - we were at the airport by 8:30am. Around 9am flights began to get canceled delayed. We finally made it home at 11pm. After that i will always fly in day before and get cruise insurance.

I feel so bad for you! This really stinks. But I would kindly, but persistently continue to talk to RCCL about moving your money to a different cruise. The squeakily wheel gets the grease, but it will probably take some time and many phone calls and documentation to get it done. I bet someone will take pity on you and help you out. I would write a letter, email, call, tweet etc. Best of luck!

Another thought to throw into the Insurance/Fly the day before thought process - last year I flew into Barcelona (via Dubai). I still had three days before my cruise, so I wasn't worried too much that my bags decided to enjoy the hospitality of the UAE longer than I did. Emirates got my bags to me about 12 hours later, so no big deal. It was however a huge deal for the large group of passengers at the lost luggage counter who were transferring to a ship the same afternoon and departing within hours.

It would have sucked to not have my bags on the cruise, but at the same time if I had insurance they would have covered the purchase of some clothes and toiletries for the week (had we also been in the same situation).

I feel so bad for you! This really stinks. But I would kindly, but persistently continue to talk to RCCL about moving your money to a different cruise. The squeakily wheel gets the grease, but it will probably take some time and many phone calls and documentation to get it done. I bet someone will take pity on you and help you out. I would write a letter, email, call, tweet etc. Best of luck!

I hope they don't. That sets a bad precedent. What are you going to condone next, the Captain waiting for people who are tardy when returning from a shore visit?

This situation was avoidable- Travel early. Buy insurance. Have passport.

I hope they don't. That sets a bad precedent. What are you going to condone next, the Captain waiting for people who are tardy when returning from a shore visit?

This situation was avoidable- Travel early. Buy insurance. Have passport.

I would hope the captain would wait as long as possible. After all, they pad all their travel times. People make mistakes. Why ruin someone's day when it doesn't cost the cruise line?

Let's get this out there first, I did not take the cruise insurance, I have been on 7 cruises and never needed, not even close. Now after saying that my party of 7 was scheduled to fly out of Nashville yesterday to Ft Lauderdale to board the oasis of seas with a 4:30pm departure. At approximately 9am the FAA grounded all flights entering Florida airspace due to severe weather. After waiting 4 hours to take off it was clear we were going to miss cruise. I called RCI they said I could meet the ship but two passengers did not have valid passports, they then said we could transfer and book on the allure the next day but not enough rooms. I then stated we would simply rebook on the same ship with same itinerary on June 18th and it began, all departments, emergency, post cruise, and passenger relations said sorry we will be keeping your $11,000 and you will get nothing not even a free pina colada, have a nice day. There were over 1000 passengers that missed this boat yesterday. Someone please give me some recourse. Taking all suggestions. Thanks

Not sure why you think you are due recourse. You screwed up, didn't plan ahead (travel docs, last minute flight to the port) and were a bit unlucky. The cruise line offered to let 5 of the seven do a catch up, offered to let some wait, travel on a different cruise the next day. Quite fair offers in my opinion. You choose to stay home instead. Bad situation, it has got to be a bad scene at home right now, but the problem is on you and nobody owes you anything. Except maybe some sympathy.

I would hope the captain would wait as long as possible. After all, they pad all their travel times. People make mistakes. Why ruin someone's day when it doesn't cost the cruise line?

You're given a time to be back on board.

Be back on board in advance of that time. It's simple.

I just read on FlightAware that 14 flights were cancelled yesterday to Ft Lauderdale. A total of 274 flights cancelled, into, out of and in the U.S.

There were some heavy storms in the Florida area yesterday... Were all of the flights cancelled.. no. But it sounds like what the OP is describing is a "ground stop" where they stop all planes taking off for a period of time for a specific airport or area due to weather. This can start to back planes up for a long time as then you have all the scheduled planes for that area waiting to take off...and then the already delayed planes. (Plus normal traffic at the departure airport). And also all get coordinated for landing at the arrival airport.. and that one delayed plane in one location will effect flights scheduled to fly on that aircraft the rest of the day. I also watched the ships leaving on webcam yesterday afternoon, and most of them were later than normal leaving due to late arriving passengers (Can hear port radios on website).

Having had some miserable luck with weather ground stops this winter I certainly understand the situation that the OP was in. There are a lot of situations why a person can only fly in the same day of a cruise such as work. Since Oasis is Saturday - Saturday a lot of people can only get a week off of work so they may have not been able to fly down on Friday and had some bad luck on Saturday morning when they could.

Again, I do feel bad for the OP.. it stinks.. their vacation is ruined. Could some other steps have been taken, yes. But this thread has gone from offering hints and tricks to the OP and others (Suggesting insurance etc) to insults, finger pointing, and name calling like people are in 3rd grade.

I will echo what I said before... I urge the OP (Like i Would urge anyone else) to at least call them Monday (tomorrow) and see if they are willing to do anything at all for her. And I hope the OP can look back at the posts of the people that were actually trying to make suggestions and maybe think of how to do things differently in the future, and lastly I hope that maybe this helps a new cruiser or experienced cruiser (Such as the OP) that hasn't had bad luck before think about insurance or if they are able flying in a day early.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Firefighterhoop

They usually do...when they can. But they have to consider extra port costs, extra fuel from increased speed, distance etc... so rarely does it cost nothing. Most ships did leave Port Everglades 30-60 minutes later than normal yesterday - and the reason given over the marine radio is that they were still waiting for passengers. But again - they can only wait for so long.. and if they know you are actually still coming and when. At some point they need to make a decision and sadly say sorry.