1st time on Oasis

Hi All,

This is my first time on Oasis of the seas and the first time going with Royal Caribbean.. We are sailing to Jamaica, Haiti and Cozumel.

We are new to cruising and are wondering if there are any tips tricks and anything else people can think of to pass along.

We do not plan on doing any paid excursions and are wondering if there are things to do and see near the cruise port and if any restaurants are worth going to?

Anything I should keep an eye out for as far as shopping?

We are planning to go down a couple of days before and we want to go shopping as we will not have time when we come back. Is there anything that we should be aware of as far as items we cannot bring on board? We are looking at hitting up the Outlet mall and the Disney Character Warehouse.

We would also like to know as a couple what we should do as far as the not miss, must see,do eat, and if any of the specialty dining restaurants are worth it? We are celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary and my husbands birthday.

Also we are located on Deck 12 right by the middle set of elevators. How is it for getting to things from there.

Also what does the formal ware consist of? I do want to dress up by my husband not so much. What is appropriate for casual and Formal dining in the main dining room?

What does room service offer and what is not included if we have the beverage packages or what can we get?

What is allowed back in to the US as far as allowances for alcohol? I know we are allowed to bring back 2 bottles of wine or 2 750ml bottles of hard liquor per person and 200 cigarettes. Is this the same? What about coffee and different spices etc. Is this allowed? I know the rules are different than us.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond

Congratulations on your anniversary.:)

With regard to dress, this is what the cruise line suggests:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

I would make all the entertainment reservations in advance using the Cruise Planner on Royal's website. I would not miss the Aquatheater and Ice shows, these are unique to Royal's ships.

Hi All,

This is my first time on Oasis of the seas and the first time going with Royal Caribbean.. We are sailing to Jamaica, Haiti and Cozumel.

We are new to cruising and are wondering if there are any tips tricks and anything else people can think of to pass along.

We do not plan on doing any paid excursions and are wondering if there are things to do and see near the cruise port and if any restaurants are worth going to?

The Ports of Call forum is your friend:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

We are planning to go down a couple of days before and we want to go shopping as we will not have time when we come back. Is there anything that we should be aware of as far as items we cannot bring on board? We are looking at hitting up the Outlet mall and the Disney Character Warehouse.

Two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin are allowed. No other alcohol of any sort.

We would also like to know as a couple what we should do as far as the not miss, must see,do eat, and if any of the specialty dining restaurants are worth it? We are celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary and my husbands birthday.

Also we are located on Deck 12 right by the middle set of elevators. How is it for getting to things from there.

Also what does the formal ware consist of? I do want to dress up by my husband not so much. What is appropriate for casual and Formal dining in the main dining room?

What does room service offer and what is not included if we have the beverage packages or what can we get?

The beverage package does NOT include room service nor anything in your mini-bar.

What is allowed back in to the US as far as allowances for alcohol? I know we are allowed to bring back 2 bottles of wine or 2 750ml bottles of hard liquor per person and 200 cigarettes. Is this the same? What about coffee and different spices etc. Is this allowed? I know the rules are different than us.

Hi there.

I too was looking for tips, tricks and advice about my cruise. As said, searching for Oasis reviews in this forum will hopefully help. Wrt any excursions information if needed i used the Ports of call forum here and Trip Advisor as well.

I'm booked for an all-inclusive beach day in Jamaica through the Royal Caribbean website but have read some mixed reviews for it and not that much info out there for it as it's new. So I continue to search.

From what I've seen/read the Oasis is quite a ship. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Just curious; my girlfriend and I are cruising on the Oasis of the Seas Western Caribbean itinerary April 23-30th and have a cabin on deck 12 as well. We are from Ontario too. When are you going? Could be a small world.

Maybe great minds think alike? lol

Take care

Good luck with your search for information

Where are you staying in Ft Lauderdale? If you are staying along 17th Street, go to Gilbert's in the Harbor Shops. You can walk there and they have awesome soup and burgers. Also, there is 15th Street Fisheries. You can sit outside or near a window and watch boats go by. By the beach on A1A is Bahia Cabana. There you can sit by the marina and watch more boats. There are charters, etc. by Bahia Cabana, or you can take Jungle Queen up the New River and see the homes of some of our famous and celebrity residents. You can take the water taxi bar hopping along the Intracoastal. Of course, Fort Lauderdale Beach is pretty awesome, too.

We are new to cruising... We do not plan on doing any paid excursions...

Mind if I ask why? Why would you not go to the beach? Would you like to? Nachi Cocum is a fabulous all-inclusive beach day, with delicious food and drinks. We have been there twice and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We have also walked around the port area upon returning from our day, and honestly I don't think I could just shop for the entire day. Are you nervous about something? Sincerely just asking.

I hope you will reconsider and do something, at least in Cozumel. :)

Hi All,

Oasis will be your destination!!!

Mind if I ask why? Why would you not go to the beach? Would you like to? Nachi Cocum is a fabulous all-inclusive beach day, with delicious food and drinks. We have been there twice and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We have also walked around the port area upon returning from our day, and honestly I don't think I could just shop for the entire day. Are you nervous about something? Sincerely just asking.

I hope you will reconsider and do something, at least in Cozumel. :)

OP said no paid excursions, so I assume they are trying to keep costs down

Is there anything that we should be aware of as far as items we cannot bring on board?

Booze (except for 2 bottles of wine which will be kept for you and poured on request), weapons, surge protectors, things that can start fires like hot plates and toasters, etc. I doubt you'll buy anything that would get confiscated when you board.

We would also like to know as a couple what we should do as far as the not miss, must see,do eat, and if any of the specialty dining restaurants are worth it?

Chef's Table is fantastic, but pricey. I also thoroughly enjoyed 150 Central Park. Vintages is a great little wine bar, and staff there is very nice and, at least every time we went, was able to recommend spot-on wines based on very little information. Personally I would avoid Chops. It was good, but not good enough to justify an up-charge. It could be that we were thoroughly spoiled by Chef's Table, though, by the time we got to Chops.

Getting anywhere from anywhere on the ship is very easy. Recommendation: If you are physically able, avoid the elevators. Take the stairs. It will help (a little bit) keep the pounds off from the mounds of food you will eat. You will also not have to wait for a free elevator.

Hi All, thank you,

We are not big beach people and my DH tends to burn easily. I am also not a fan of swimming in the ocean more a pool person. We are budget conscious but also big foodies and value culinary tourism. We are not trying to pack the cruise too much as it is our first of what will be many.

I do have a few mobility limitations so stairs can be an issue but I can do them. This is why I am not sure that some of the activities are the best for us based on the description some state lots of walking and standing. Some also are ruled out due to my husband being a larger man both big and tall.

I hope this gives some clarification.

Your Haiti stop will be at Labadee, a private beach area. So if you are not beach people, I can't think of anything of interest for you there. Unless you want to get off the ship and go to the market there. I understand the vendors are very pushy.