Trying to keep a secret - Set Sail Passes give it away

Hi Everyone,

I'm taking my mom and her best friend on a cruise. I just went online, completed everything and printed the paperwork. I'm surprising them with a JS and The Set Sail passes say SUITE - UGH! That's going to spoil the surprise :eek: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this - Should I work of "forging" signatures and sign for everyone? Do I redo check in and just put my credit card for everyone and change on the ship? Thoughts please and Thank you.

Vickie

You can carry their Set Sail passes through security and to check in. At that time, it's kind of the reveal as you'll go through the suite check in line. Once at the counter, they can sign the passes and do the normal stuff there.

You still might be able to "get away with it" if you go into a normal line. They might not notice the "suite" when signing at the check in desk, and a lot of people aren't aware of the "silver" cards for JS's. If they aren't aware then it might be a surprise for them onboard.

I think I would plan though to take them through the suite check-in (since it is a benefit) and see the surprise on their faces at that time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Bob, Thank you for the suggestion of white out - will be getting a bottle of that asap:)

We need wheelchair assistance so don't use any of the priority lines anymore. If the silver cards don't say suite then I think I'll be able to keep it a surprise until we get to the cabin.

Normally I hold all of the paperwork and sea pass cards as it's easier on my mom but this time there are a total of 3 of us traveling so I don't know if they will want to separate us for boarding.

Thirteen days and counting until we board :D

I would do what Bob suggested and "white out" and re-copy the paperwork so they do not see the word "suite".

As far as after receiving your set sail passes....IF.....they notice, just play DUMB. You don't know anything about it.....it must be a mistake...blah blah blah....and when you walk thru the cabin doors..THEN say surprise. :)

You could use white-out on the "suite" part and then recopy the SetSail passes. However, I suspect they will still know what's up when they get their SeaPass cards.

Bob, Thank you for the suggestion of white out - will be getting a bottle of that asap:)

:eek::eek:White-out??? Bottle??? recopy???

What are you all talking about? This is a .pdf file and you can simply edit out the Suite part before printing!!!

Just put a white box without Frame over the "Suite" part before printing.

:eek::eek:White-out??? Bottle??? recopy???

What are you all talking about? This is a .pdf file and you can simply edit out the Suite part before printing!!!

Just put a white box without Frame over the "Suite" part before printing.

I don't know about Bob, but I'm OLD..what the hell do I know. LOL....white box frame???? LOL....no clue...... Geeeezzzz Bob....WHITE OUT???

Edited by champagne123
GGGG

I thought DD didn't see the "Suite" icon on the paperwork when I was surprising her with a grand suite. But she saw it and in her mind she dismissed it as the grandiose term the cruiseline probably had for the cabin. And she didn't know about gold cards then.

She really had no clue until we walked in.

Now that she knows what the card colors mean, surprises aren't possible ... but that's OK. I had my fun.

Also a dinosaur here.:)

Another dinosaur here - I was happy with the suggestion :)

It took a couple of tries to get it changed but I've managed to get rid of the SUITE and the JS on our Set Sail passes.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!!

I too have booked a JS for a 30th anniversary suprise on Adventure September 10th. I am lucky my partner doesnt have any involvement in the planning of our holidays so no problems keeping the secret (apart from my own big mouth).

I was hoping to keep the suprise until he puts the key in door and enters, so with that in mind do JS go through a suite line to board, and if so is there any advantage to going through that line. Or to keep the secret shopuld I just use the platinum line - if San Juan has those.

Jo

You could take them out to dinner ahead of time and have an "appreciation" card with a note in it that says something like "You are so special to me that I wanted to do something special for you and we got you a Sweet... I mean Suite deal..." and have an early reveal.

That way they could have time to anticipate the treat as well.

I know, for us, looking forward to the cruise is always part of the experience.

There is something to be said for the surprise, but it would still be a surprise.

Tom

I surprised DH with a JS on our 18 day Sydney to Hawaii cruise in 2009. When we checked in, I went to the JS line. He stopped me and said we were in the wrong line. I told him the person had waved us over since he had nobody in his line (phew, that was the truth!)! After we were able to get into our cabins, he didn't notice the JS written on the wall beside the cabin door and when we walked into the cabin he was shocked and said he didn't remember the cabins being that big! I had to take him back out into the hall to read the writing on the wall! It was an awesome surprise!

I surprised DH with a JS on our 18 day Sydney to Hawaii cruise in 2009. When we checked in, I went to the JS line. He stopped me and said we were in the wrong line. I told him the person had waved us over since he had nobody in his line (phew, that was the truth!)! After we were able to get into our cabins, he didn't notice the JS written on the wall beside the cabin door and when we walked into the cabin he was shocked and said he didn't remember the cabins being that big! I had to take him back out into the hall to read the writing on the wall! It was an awesome surprise!

How cute, that must have been.......I have been using that expression for years, now it has a 'fun meaning'.

Hi Everyone,

I'm taking my mom and her best friend on a cruise. I just went online, completed everything and printed the paperwork. I'm surprising them with a JS and The Set Sail passes say SUITE - UGH! That's going to spoil the surprise :eek: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this - Should I work of "forging" signatures and sign for everyone? Do I redo check in and just put my credit card for everyone and change on the ship? Thoughts please and Thank you.

Vickie

Many people try this, and asked that question, I don't think one has ever come back with how it went. Can you be in charge of that documentation and keep it till you get into the check in line. That is where they are going to find out.

Royal did a great job of surprising us on my last Freedom cruise. They told both of us at the check in line. It spoiled me, but I already know all the suites are sold our for this cruise. I was hoping for an upsell offer since this will be our 35th anniversary.

Edited by BillOh

This is such a fun thread! I just upgraded us to a JS for our Allure cruise in May (daughter's HS graduation) and it is a surprise, too!

Do all JS get silver cards? I don't remember seeing those before. Is it new?

Thanks all!

Gold cards for Full suites, silver for JS ... it's been around for quite some time.

I too have booked a JS for a 30th anniversary suprise on Adventure September 10th. I am lucky my partner doesnt have any involvement in the planning of our holidays so no problems keeping the secret (apart from my own big mouth).

I was hoping to keep the suprise until he puts the key in door and enters, so with that in mind do JS go through a suite line to board, and if so is there any advantage to going through that line. Or to keep the secret shopuld I just use the platinum line - if San Juan has those.

Jo

I am on this same cruise!