CURTIS STONE - Share Restaurant Comes to Princess

kuldalai

Fresh out of dry dock in Singapore SUN PRINCESS now has iots brand new specialty restaurant - SHARE by Curtis Stone . Also to be fitted to EMERALD PRINCESS.

Three (3) Curtis Stone feature dishes available fleetwide in all main dining rooms 1. Chicken & Leek pie 2. Osso Bucco and 3. Pork Belly .

Fresh out of dry dock in Singapore SUN PRINCESS now has iots brand new specialty restaurant - SHARE by Curtis Stone . Also to be fitted to EMERALD PRINCESS.

Three (3) Curtis Stone feature dishes available fleetwide in all main dining rooms 1. Chicken & Leek pie 2. Osso Bucco and 3. Pork Belly .

On the Sea Princess we had 1. Chicken & Leek pie (good but you need to order vegetables with it). 2. Pork Belly (nearly all fat and very little meat). 3. Fish Stew (not good). I do not recall seeing Osso Bucco in the 42 night cruise.

QUOTE=Eagle_and_hawk;49759766 It sounds different on each ship. In February on the Coral, the same three each night was Mahi-Mahi, Pork Tenderloin, and Grilled Flank Steak.QUOTE

The above three were offered in the MDR on Emerald Princess each night.

Emerald Princess also had a separate SHARE restaurant where Sabatini's use to be.

LuLu

If I recall correctly they are going to change the menu in the SHARE venues every 3 months, which may explain the difference in the menus.

As I posted on another thread, we tried the SHARE on the Ruby in January. We were only 2 of 12 people in the restaurant that likely seats well over 100 people so the service was excellent. That said, the food was dreadful, both our entrees were so salty it took a couple of days to get the salt taste off our palates. Someone asked why we didn't send the meals back and in retrospect I suppose we should have as it is not likely that we will dine in a SHARE any time soon.

OH!!!! I CAN HARDLY WAIT FOR THAT PORK BELLY!:eek:

/snark off

Hi Dude & Dudette!

We tried SHARE on Emerald in January.

Our so-so food was served on the cooler side of lukewarm.

It couldn't have been because they were busy -- only three others tables of two were there at 7:30.

We did mention the lukewarm food to our waiter.

His reply: "It's temperature at which the chef wants it served."

We wouldn't go back if it were free! :D

LuLu

Hi Dude & Dudette!

It couldn't have been because they were busy -- only three others tables of two were there at 7:30.

LuLu

Nice to hear from you.

Evidently Stone has a hand picked chef on each ship so the waiters are likely afraid to make a big fuss about the food. I can't say we would never go back because I have found that never is a long time....but we will have to read a lot of outstanding reviews on SHARE before returning

Hi Dude & Dudette!

LuLu

That's unfortunate. We went to Share on the Emerald in February and had one of the best meals ever. Cooked to perfection, hot. We tried to make reservations for two nights and they were booked. We must of hit it just right.

On the Sea Princess we had 1. Chicken & Leek pie (good but you need to order vegetables with it). 2. Pork Belly (nearly all fat and very little meat). 3. Fish Stew (not good). I do not recall seeing Osso Bucco in the 42 night cruise.

Exactly what is pork belly? I have seen much mention of it lately. It sounds awful. Yes, I understand it is the belly of the pig. What sort of meat would it be? Very fatty?

Exactly what is pork belly? I have seen much mention of it lately. It sounds awful. Yes, I understand it is the belly of the pig. What sort of meat would it be? Very fatty?

It is a strip from the belly of a pig that is nearly all fat with just thin strips of meat. :( That is how it was on the two servings I saw. I did not order it.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Righto,it is similar to a pork spare rib,with the skin on.Now cooked properly, it should be moist with a crispy skin.Unfortunatly I tried it and was very disappointed. Now the skin should come out like crackling, and I have never meet an aussieor a kiwi that doesn't go bananas over it.It has a high fat content.Now a high fat content is good for you,your brain is made up almost entirely of fat,your brain craves it.It is a fact that fat starves off dementia,but you do have to exercise.Im seeing a trend here and starting to understand??????

YUK!! These dishes sound awful. Why would anyone PAY to eat this stuff?

In my life time, I have dined out in many restaurants throughout the world. I've never seen pork belly on the menu. For such a food venue as "Share" I'm wondering who Curtis Stone is catering to? Is he on Princess just to offer something different and it's so different that not many want to fork out the money to pay for it? My fear is that I will fork out the money and be disappointed. Been down that road and don't care to do it again. I prefer down home food - like the steakhouse, MDR (even some of those dishes are iffy), and Lido. For those that are more adventurous, go for it. DH had never had crab before so we ate at the Crab Shack. He really liked it, to me it was just okay.

• 6 months later...

I am surprised they would put something that was mainly fat on the menu. Ribs I eat are not that fatty. I recently saw it at a pretty nice restaurant and was shocked. It even looked bad in the photo with a ¼ inch of meat, an inch of fat, a quarter inch of mean and inch of fat. Maybe it's glamorous bacon.

Edited by wdrl

Hi,here in Italy it is sliced up and they call it pancetta,thats why we when we go home we bring back english bacon.Pork belly when its cooked the right way has a crackling skin and a tasty meat content with a lot of the fat melted off,cheers,Brian.

Until a few years ago you couldn't give pork belly away. It was used for Pet Food. Then we had this surge of "celebrity" chefs all looking for something different to serve and Pork Belly went from pet food to "delicacy" and the price soared. Lamb shanks, although far more palatable, also fall into the once were pet food, now command a high price category.

As you guessed, eating pig fat is not my thing. Nor are fancy dishes consisting mainly of garnish and no substance from "celebrity" chefs. Give me good wholesome food any day.

Pork belly is actually the part of the pig the streaky bacon comes from. It is the most expensive cut of meat from the pig and it does have a high fat content. However, when pork belly is cooked correctly the fat renders out and the meat is left extremely tender with a crisp crackling on the skin. It shouldn't in essence be an extremely fatty dish. It's very popular in most parts of the world but particularly the South Pacific, South East Asia and many parts of Europe [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pork belly cooked properly is wonderful. I've just discovered a delicious pork belly porcetta recipe and have made it a couple of times. Not fatty at all, if you get a good quality piece of pork belly. Note: one end of a full pork belly is fattier than the other - I always ask my butcher for the least fatty end.

Unfortunately Princess' chefs don't seem to be able to cook pork belly properly. When I tried it, the meat was very dry and the skin was rubbery ie it was cooked at a temperature too low to crisp the skin but not low enough to prevent the meat from overcooking.

Just off the golden, and am disappointed to report that the pork belly dishes have not improved.

The first one was, grey, it looked like it had been boiled, or steamed, with a skin texture that bordered on rubber.(this was off the Stone selection M.D.R)

Second one off the M.D.R menu, not a stone selection, looked awesome, was a vast improvement on the first, but was stringy and the crispy skin was again like eating rubber.

YUK!! These dishes sound awful. Why would anyone PAY to eat this stuff?

The pork belly, etc. are not in Share, but are on the regular dining room menu. Don't have to pay extra to "enjoy" them.

This is true on ships that do not even have Share.

Pork belly is actually the part of the pig the streaky bacon comes from. It is the most expensive cut of meat from the pig and it does have a high fat content. However, when pork belly is cooked correctly the fat renders out and the meat is left extremely tender with a crisp crackling on the skin. It shouldn't in essence be an extremely fatty dish. It's very popular in most parts of the world but particularly the South Pacific, South East Asia and many parts of Europe [emoji4]

Hi,I dont think a lot of Americans know that the bulk of their country eat it every day.Its where their bacon comes from,whereas us Brits eat the back part which is more meaty,cheers,Brian.

I recently had this at a restaurant and was pleasantly impressed.