Windjammer

The Windjammer has all you can eat sushi???? Where have I been?!

Yes at dinner the windjammer serves some limited options of sushi found in the Jade section.

If you are accustomed to very good sushi you may not be very impressed with the offerings but it is free.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't care for the Windjammer at dinner. I don't mean to say I hate it -- just that it feels like a second rate choice with the other options available.

Yes, it's quiet, but it still definitely has the feel of a buffet. I haven't found the food to be the same quality as that in the MDR; let me be more specific -- the food's more basic, lacking sauces and such that make things seem "like dinner" instead of just another lunch.

To give the place its due, it has some positives: Yes, without waiting to be seated and without waiting in between courses, the meal does go faster -- and sometimes that's what we want. I can see that it'd be much better suited to families with small children. However, if I just don't want to bother much with dinner, I'd rather call for a big salad from room service or get pizza or a plate of those little sandwiches from Promenade Cafe.

Having said that, Windjammer is my favorite choice for breakfast.

They don't serve lobster, but they do serve shrimps, even bigger than the ones from the MDR. But this only happens once on a 7-night cruise. Delicious.

Our last cruise on Oasis they did have lobster tails in the Windjammer on the night that they had them in the MDR. That was the first time I ever experienced that.

The Windjammer has all you can eat sushi???? Where have I been?!

It's not premium sushi...mostly rolls of rice with veggies and cooked seafood.

And there is a pretty good seaweed salad we like. Naturally sushi needs really

fresh fish, and since I don't see any of the chefs with fishing poles off the back

of the ship ;)....you get the cooked/previously frozen seafood kind.

But still good, and indeed all you can eat! :D

Edited by island lady

I don't see any of the chefs with fishing poles off the back of the ship

Lol! That would be an interesting sight to see. I've had some amazing sushi in Cabo - caught fresh that morning, but if the mood hits me for sushi, just slap some avocado, cream cheese and smoked salmon on a layer of rice, roll it up, and I'm a happy boy. :D

Lol! That would be an interesting sight to see. I've had some amazing sushi in Cabo - caught fresh that morning, but if the mood hits me for sushi, just slap some avocado, cream cheese and smoked salmon on a layer of rice, roll it up, and I'm a happy boy. :D

Mmm...sounds delicious to me also! :)

I always say the opposite of fresh is not frozen....it is rotten. ;)

Have fished most of my life, and freeze what we can't eat. Still yummy!

But I think it would be fun to troll off the aft of the ship. :p :p

Edited by island lady

Another vote for the Windjammer :)

On our February Serenade 10-nighter, my (adult) son and I ate only one meal in the MDR....we had several friends on board with us and found the Windjammer to be our favourite place to meet for dinner.

I like to fill much of my plate with salad, then find some yummy roasted/stir-fried veggies and either a piece of fish or whatever meat is featured at the carving station.

And contrary to popular opinion, I find that I eat LESS food the Windjammer buffet than I do in the MDR ! Not because the food is inferior, but because I generally don't bother with appetizers or dessert unless something really catches my eye.

The dress code has nothing to do with it, as we dressed for dinner every night, including formal night......just a personal preference.

While my son is also a frequent cruiser, this is the first time he experienced the Windjammer for dinner each night, and he is 'sold'...lol ! I must add...we checked out the MDR menu each evening over drinks in the CL lounge prior to dinner....I guess we have grown a little disillusioned with the 'fancy' descriptions.

We did eat once in Chops (good food, excellent service) and Giovanni's Table (mediocre food, poor service....subjective, I know, but i was disappointed.).

Next sailing is November on the Oasis....we have opted for MTD but just may end up in the Windjammer ;)

I've always enjoyed the Windjammer for lunch or dinner. The selection of foods is incredible. On one past cruise they had a Turkey Parmigiana which was surprisingly awesome. I've never seen it again on any of Royal's ships.

Can anyone tell me about dinner in the Windjammer. We have never done dinner there but were wondering what they serve? Is it worth a try one evening? Going on Anthrm 6/11

If we don't like what is on the main menu we go up to the windjammer

We are just off the Adventure last week. We had a huge lunch one day and really did want a "big" dinner and so went to the WJ for something light. We were delighted to find that they had Beef Wellington which we could not resist so we had that with just a small salad. It was perfectly cooked and very tender and delicious. Who knew??? :);)

PS... There was mashed potato, gravy, a nice selection of veggies as well for those who may have wanted a full, hearty meal. I will definitely try the WJ again for dinner. Also we went around 7:30 pm and it was not crowded...very pleasant atmosphere. :)

I tried dinner in the Windjammer for the first time last summer. It was my husband's idea, I really didn't want to go. I was pleasantly surprised. We ended up eating there 2 more times. Like other's have said, it was really quiet and relaxing. It worked out well for us because the kids couldn't wait to get back to the kids/teen club.

Almost ALL seafood is "previously frozen"...especially that which is used in sushi...it kills the parasites that raw fish can harbor.

Hence the disclaimers on eating raw seafood. ;)

But I think you might want to ask a few top sushi chefs if their sashimi is previously

frozen. You may find a knife thrown at you!! :eek: And those things are sharp!!

Naturally on the ship the fish is all previously frozen. No daily fresh fish deliveries. :)

BTW: I retired as a territory manager for a restaurant food supply house.

Edited by island lady

We "tried" WJ for dinner one night because we really didn't like anything on the MDR menu. We actually enjoyed it so much, we've pretty much forgone ever eating in MDR again!

We usually do specialty restaurants twice during a cruise, and do WJ for the rest of the meals. As others have stated, it much quieter and much more casual.

Have fun on your cruise!

Ann