Gifts leading up to first cruise

frawnsay

We are taking my MIL on her first cruise in early 2017. She just had her retirement party, and we gave her a passport cover as a gift to surprise her with the cruise [emoji4]

It has me thinking...with Mother's Day, her birthday, and Christmas all before we set sail, we could give her gifts for the cruise!

What would you recommend?

As a follow-up to the previous poster's photo album idea, I would suggest copies of every picture that the ship's photographers take. It's a bit of an extravagance, but, gosh, it's her first ever cruise.

I booked a Caribbean cruise as a solo last fall mainly to attend a conference on board. My mother and I went on her first cruise a few months earlier. Mom had such a good time that when we got back I added her to my fall reservation. Mom always worries that she's cramping my style. I arranged for flowers in the cabin with a note that said "I'm so glad you're here." The flowers and reminder that she is a truly welcome companion brought tears to her eyes.

Vicki

A new soap bag.

Small size shampoos, soap, creams etc.

Soft slipper socks for the cabin.

A pashima, or stole for formal nights/evenings on deck.

A new nightdress/pyjamas.

Travel size hairbrush and comb.

Some full-cotton socks for weary feet... :cool:

These are the sort of cruise items I ask for at birthdays and Christmas, and usually end up with books, perfume and last time- a carved wooden duck. Still hoping... :rolleyes:

Cold elaborate please? I've never heard of gift cards for OBC.

Some cruise lines have OBC (on board credit) gift cards that can be used towards purchases at gift shops, spa treatments, specialty drinks, excursions, etc.

Edited by NW SOUTHERNBELLE

You can buy her a cruise journal. I just bought this one for my sister.http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Leather-Writing-Journal-Embossing/dp/B00TC1Q30Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461537772&sr=8-1&keywords=B00NAJRIEY%7CB00TC1Q30Y%7CB00WX72G64

I think it would be nice to get a shipboard credit or American currency (assuming you are not from America). I think a beach bag filled with necessities like sunglasses, sunscreen, and a sun hat would be a fun gift. Maybe a book or two to read on the cruise or a deck of cards. Some ships have a balcony dinner that can be ordered. We did that as a gift to my parents once. It came with an alcoholic drink each, a three or four course dinner, and a free 8x10 photo to commemorate the event.