Which power strip to take?

skidawg79

From one engineer to another, well stated. I'm a fluid mechanics guy, but I get the gist.

Good, 'cause all this talk about surge protectors makes me try to explain the why of things I just tend to take for granted after all these years.

Are the ammeter displays typically in the engine control room, or in some other electrical distribution room? I have done the Behind the Fun tour before and I am planning to do it again on the Breeze in just over 3 weeks. It would be neat to spot that kind of thing. I know most people who do that tour are not as interested in the actual systems as I am, so I don't think I would ask really specific questions.

Are the ammeter displays typically in the engine control room, or in some other electrical distribution room? I have done the Behind the Fun tour before and I am planning to do it again on the Breeze in just over 3 weeks. It would be neat to spot that kind of thing. I know most people who do that tour are not as interested in the actual systems as I am, so I don't think I would ask really specific questions.

I'm afraid those would be in the main switchboard rooms (generally separate from the ECR), and in each fire zone's electrical room on the distribution panels. They will have an alarm relay on them, so that whenever the ammeter reads too high (its actually marked in Megohms) meaning a ground has become significant, it will show up as an alarm on the watch engineer's computer display. You may be able to have them pull up the alarm page with the ground detection system display.

No, grounded is not the same as surge protected, but if you find a multi-outlet/USB port that only has a two prong plug (not likely with outlets, but some multi-USB ports are this way, then it is not surge protected, as the surge protection needs a connection to ground.

The only multi-USB port I've found that isn't surge protected is the Zilu 5 port unit. There may be others.

This one is the one I find works best for me http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02

Edited by Galatz

I just posted the response from Anker tech support on this thread a couple of days ago. (Post #70 - scroll back)

None of the Anker products are suitable for cruiselines anymore as they all have surge protection.

That one has surge protection and isn't allowed.

Thanks guys, I must have an older one, as mine does not have surge protection

Thanks guys, I must have an older one, as mine does not have surge protection

wait, you post the one you said you have and when mentioned that it has a surge protection and shouldnt be brought you claim its an old one that doesnt have surge protection

how do you know this?

wait, you post the one you said you have and when mentioned that it has a surge protection and shouldnt be brought you claim its an old one that doesnt have surge protection

how do you know this?

When I bought it, I made 100% sure it wasn't, searched the page and read it, to ensure it wasn't. The post he mentioned having the letter from Anker showed that they have changed the products to now have it. Additionally it has no ground, which based on my understanding, is required for surge protection.

nope. sorry

if you go to the Belkin site and click on the Surge Protection tab, this one is listed so there is a surge protection on this model

http://belkinbusiness.com/products/f9p609-03-6-outlets-power-strip-3-cord

However, if you zoom in on the packaging photo on the Amazon site, it states no surge protection. I find Belkin's advertising to be confusing at best. If you look at the full list of "surge protection" there are two power strips that don't feature the word "surge" in their description, and this is one of them. The other, I finally found a reference in a Walmart ad that states it isn't a surge protector.

Edited by chengkp75

wow... so the Belkin site says it is and the packaging says its not. Which to believe?

If you look at any of the other Belkin power strips, they specifically mention surge protection, and give the joule rating of the surge protection. So, whether or not the power strip is included in the "surge protection" grouping, the buyer must as always beware, and do diligence to determine if that less expensive Belkin power strip is actually a surge protector or not. Advertising by omission. I would go with the packaging. This is one of those examples where even the manufacturer's website is not clear, and if I hadn't discovered the packaging photo, would have resulted in an e-mail regarding this product.

doesnt look like its allowed.

I went to their site and it says

Umirro 10-outlet Power Strip (4000W 110-250V Worldwide Voltage) & 4-port Universal USB Family Charging Station with Overload Protection for All Electronic Devices

http://www.umirro.com/power-strip.html

I hope chengkp75 can confirm

Edited by hftmrock

doesnt look like its allowed.

I went to their site and it says

Umirro 10-outlet Power Strip (4000W 110-250V Worldwide Voltage) & 4-port Universal USB Family Charging Station with Overload Protection for All Electronic Devices

http://www.umirro.com/power-strip.html

I hope chengkp75 can confirm

Well, overload protection is not surge protection, overload protection is a circuit breaker for over current. Surge protectors do not have "reset" buttons, those are circuit breakers. Surge protectors do not "trip" and "reset", they just start to conduct power to ground whenever the "clamping" or threshold voltage is reached, and stop conducting when the clamping voltage is not reached.

However, this is generally listed in a google search as a surge protector, the manufacturer's website gives no details, so the best bet would be to contact the manufacturer direct.

If you need a lot of USB chargers you can consider this as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10-Port-Charger-Multi-Port-PowerPort/dp/B00YRYS4T4/ref=sr_1_49?ie=UTF8&qid=1462078635&sr=8-49-spons&keywords=multiple+port+usb+charger&psc=1

10 devices on one outlet!

Most small electronics today are charged over USB. Comes in handy.

that one has surge protection and is not allowed

that one has surge protection and is not allowed

This isn't a power strip, it's a charging device.

It's no more of a hazard than your personal computer.

Speaking of chargers, one thing you want to avoid is knockoffs. Yes, I'm talking about the third party Apple charging "bricks" for Macbooks, and even the little cubes for iphones/ipads. Never get one, always get original equipment manufacturer (OEM). The money you save isn't worth the risk of killing your device or causing a fire!

Some may find this an interesting read:

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

Ditto for laptop batteries. Now not all substitutes are bad but there are a lot of bad ones out there. And as the saying goes, if it's too (good) to be true, it most likely is!

Speaking of chargers, one thing you want to avoid is knockoffs. Yes, I'm talking about the third party Apple charging "bricks" for Macbooks, and even the little cubes for iphones/ipads. Never get one, always get original equipment manufacturer (OEM). The money you save isn't worth the risk of killing your device or causing a fire!

Ditto for laptop batteries. Now not all substitutes are bad but there are a lot of bad ones out there. And as the saying goes, if it's too (good) to be true, it most likely is!

the issue is the surge protector is dangerous on ships. has nothing directly to do with powerstrips. this shouldnt be brought on the ship.

Can you tell me why a surge protector on a power strip is any different from a surge protector on a "charging device"?