Which power strip to take?

skidawg79

If you don't need built-in USB chargers a super cheap plug like this is very light for your luggage and works well.

http://www.target.com/p/ge-3-outlet-tap-grounded/-/A-14347422#prodSlot=_2_25

At the store I bough this and also a cube-shaped tap and ended up using both; one on the vanity and one in the spare outlet behind the TV.

BTW, I didn't know about the ban on surge suppressors. I've never bought one before but I had thought about buying a splitter with built-in USB. Now I know which types not to buy.

If you don't need built-in USB chargers a super cheap plug like this is very light for your luggage and works well.

http://www.target.com/p/ge-3-outlet-tap-grounded/-/A-14347422#prodSlot=_2_25

At the store I bough this and also a cube-shaped tap and ended up using both; one on the vanity and one in the spare outlet behind the TV.

BTW, I didn't know about the ban on surge suppressors. I've never bought one before but I had thought about buying a splitter with built-in USB. Now I know which types not to buy.

It's not so much a ban as a US Coast Guard safety regulation. A surge protector can cause a fire on a ship because of the way they are wired.

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

And to the poster that said I don't care I use this particular device all the time I hope you will put the safety of everyone else on the ship before yourself and go shopping and buy something else to use.

My last "power strip" was not confiscated, and honestly, I can't remember if I had brought one every time. It is often one of those facepalm moments where I forgot to pack one. Anyhoo, I brought this one on the Miracle last year, and it died after the first day:

51H4tRmNlDL._SL1000_.jpg

:):):)

Your device appears to have a different foot print than most power/surge strips have? So I can see why it is not picked up on the baggage scanners. :)

Did you post the link to purchase it??

Thanks.... JW

Well, I have been on three cruises, and have taken it on each one, no problem at all.. ...

Nobody is concerned about what you have done in the past and there is no problem.

If your kid, or you grandkid told you that they have had unprotected sex in the past and there was no problem,,, would you accept that? or would you try to explain why the next time might be different and try to change their mind?

You know what they call people who use the withdrawel method?

Parents

Surge protectors work at home and in the office to protect your electronics.

The electrical system and especially grounding on a ship is nothing like at home. A surge protector on a ship is an actual fire hazard and should not be used.

Edited by klfrodo

I got one of these from Amazon to use in the euro plug:

P1000148_zpskfqfwkir.jpg

I used this one on my last cruis. the light makes a great nightlight. When you plug something into the usb port it changes to red, and then green, and back to blue when the item is charged.

P1000137_zps19tcvgsd.jpg

This one goes on my next cruise, because the outlets are sideways on Divina:

P1000139_zpswept33q8.jpg

P1000138_zpskqzlgsat.jpg

nobody is concerned about what you have done in the past and there is no problem.

If your kid, or you grandkid told you that they have had unprotected sex in the past and there was no problem,,, would you accept that? Or would you try to explain why the next time might be different and try to change their mind?

You know what they call people who use the withdrawel method?

Parents

surge protectors work at home and in the office to protect your electronics.

The electrical system and especially grounding on a ship is nothing like at home. A surge protector on a ship is an actual fire hazard and should not be used.

best.answer.ever

Well, I have been on three cruises, and have taken it on each one, no problem at all.. I plan to take it on my upcoming cruise at the end of May, and don't expect to have any issues. I am sorry my response irritated you so bad, but I was answering the OP's question with real world knowledge. I travel with these, and they work. I have been on the boards for a while, I am familiar with the search function, but I did not need to search for anything in order to share what works for me...

Here's a link to another of my posts about surge protectors, and this entire thread is about the Belkin unit in particular:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49780767&postcount=58

And in another thread about the Belkin, I explain how a perfectly working surge protector can cause a fire because of something that happens elsewhere onboard in the electrical system:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49755369&postcount=21

Again, the long and short of it, in real world knowledge, is that surge protectors are not required nor do they work properly onboard ships, and using one can place your electronics at risk, even if the surge protector is operating normally.

I too have posed this question in the forums. I have two of the Belkin travel surge protectors that I've taken on all my previous cruises and have never had any issues with them being confiscated or questioned about from the room stewards. However, I know that rules and safety regulations change as a result of something happening or as a precaution; I get it. So, after reading the forums and doing to research online, I stumbled across this at Big Lots. This is exactly what I was looking for to replace my Belkin that not only has the 3 plugs, but two USB chargers. Here it is on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-30024-POWERMAX-USB-White/dp/B00ZX05C5K

The packaging on the back specifically says that it's NOT a surge protector. I will be taking the packaging, with this information, on my next cruise just in case there is any question about whether or not it's surge protected.

ImageUploadedByForums1461533354.534384.jpg.c79f3f508585c38886c1d461f792b277.jpg

Well, I have been on three cruises, and have taken it on each one, no problem at all.. I plan to take it on my upcoming cruise at the end of May, and don't expect to have any issues. I am sorry my response irritated you so bad, but I was answering the OP's question with real world knowledge. I travel with these, and they work. I have been on the boards for a while, I am familiar with the search function, but I did not need to search for anything in order to share what works for me...

This is exactly what I was talking about on the rc thread about smoking.

People like to say they are against balcony smoking because it's a fire hazard. Yet someone is told a surge protecter is a hazard for the exact same reason and they say oh well I'm bringing it anyway. :rolleyes:

There are some unhappy people on these forums. I bet some of y'all are a BLAST to party with. On a serious note, there is no reason to be rude when someone asks a question. Just answer it with solid information, or move on.

http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Charger-Charging-Protected-Smartphone/dp/B00W4WWCFI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I just bought it his one for our next cruise.

Last year we had the squid but it took up too much room

That's a surge protector as well, which is against the policy and a fire hazard.

Perhaps Carnival hasn't done enough to inform people about the hazards of a surge protector onboard? I confess that I wasn't aware of this until I read the boards here.

Have a great cruise!

I was answering the OP's question with real world knowledge. .

no you didnt. you were answering the OP's question will a dangerous, against the rules situation for people who feel they are above the rules and entitled to do what they want in spite of rules or danger to anyone else.

you didn't answer the OP with a real world example that would make your mom proud.

no you didnt. you were answering the OP's question will a dangerous, against the rules situation for people who feel they are above the rules and entitled to do what they want in spite of rules or danger to anyone else.

you didn't answer the OP with a real world example that would make your mom proud.

wow.

why would that matter if its a fire hazard?

People the US Coast Guard doesn't make up rules and regulations just for fun. There are real safety concerns involved with using a surge protector on a ship. Please do your due diligence and make sure that the power bar or any other device you bring to charge your electronics meets those regulations.

People the US Coast Guard doesn't make up rules and regulations just for fun. There are real safety concerns involved with using a surge protector on a ship. Please do your due diligence and make sure that the power bar or any other device you bring to charge your electronics meets those regulations.

You misunderstood. The person I was quoting was saying that the people who check your bags wouldn't notice so I asked why would THAT matter (if they can't tell) because it's still a fire hazard

I am on your side and agree 100%. Sorry if I wasn't clear

No one should bring a power cord with a surge suppressor, ever

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by hftmrock