Live Nieuw Amsterdam Inaugural 2016 Cruise to Alaska

Crew News

Thanks for the menus! Does anybody know if the MDR on the Noordam will serve the exact same things during its Alaskan itineraries? or do MDR menus vary by ship? We depart next week.

All 7-day cruises to Alaska usually serve the same menus.

All of my menus have been updated for those waiting to see lunch, dinner, and late snacks for both the MDR and Lido Restaurants.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-alaska-ms-nieuw-amsterdam-2016/

On Locations are updated through Gala Night on Glacier Bay Day.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

Added cabana price list as well as Shops Liquor price list.

Phew... scared me for a minute as I didn't see my Prawn Cocktail on the PG menu or steaks- then realized it was lunch menu :)

All of my menus have been updated for those waiting to see lunch, dinner, and late snacks for both the MDR and Lido Restaurants.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-alaska-ms-nieuw-amsterdam-2016/

On Locations are updated through Gala Night on Glacier Bay Day.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

Added cabana price list as well as Shops Liquor price list.

Crew News, thanks so much for all of this information! We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam May 21 for our second cruise (the last one was a short cruise 18 years ago). This is so helpful, not to mention that I am getting so excited! Thanks again!

Thank you so much for this live review, your absolutely fantastic website and continued work nd contributions Roger!

I have 2 questions actually...

1) I would have thought that the vessel's route would go via the "inside passage" on sailings ex. Vancouver...it seems you went North via the Pacific Open Ocean? Any reason? Captain's discretion?

2) I seem to miss the Mexican station at the Lido for lunch, Which my wife and I absolutely adore...is this eliminated with the new concept? I always thought it was pretty popular!

Our private excursion with Max Jewell, Elements of Alaska, met at the pier at 10:30 and we began with a tour of the city of Skagway. Max was raised in Skagway and had a unique prospective of the surrounding area. Frequent stops were made for photographs, unlike the big bus tours. We spotted and photographed doll sheep standing on sheer rocks on one stop. Numerous bathroom stops were made, unlike the big bus tours. Lunch in Carcross in a very colorful bistro provided a varied menu of sweet and savory items. Max was a friend of the owner and promised us great service. The stop at Emerald Lake, not on the regular tour routes let us see the bright green water and amazing landscape. A stop was made to fill our water bottles from a waterfall from the melting winter ice.

Was the ice off Emerald Lake? One of my all time favourite places I have seen in over 20 countries and, go figure, it is right here at home.

I am sure it was a typo, but just in case anyone is interested in more research the sheep you saw are dall sheep, not doll.

Thank you so much for this live review, your absolutely fantastic website and continued work nd contributions Roger!

I have 2 questions actually...

1) I would have thought that the vessel's route would go via the "inside passage" on sailings ex. Vancouver...it seems you went North via the Pacific Open Ocean? Any reason? Captain's discretion?

2) I seem to miss the Mexican station at the Lido for lunch, Which my wife and I absolutely adore...is this eliminated with the new concept? I always thought it was pretty popular!

I will have to find the right person to ask your question #1.

The Pasta line in the Lido Market Place has Mexican food for lunch but not as expansive as the Taco Bar on the Vista Class ships.

Thanks so much for posting all the menus, etc.

1) When we cruised HAL years ago....Bread Pudding was served every day! I love BP and looked forward to it again. BUT not really seeing it as a staple anymore??

2) Never rented a Cabana or Cabana Club. Do you think it will be too cold to use on our late September cruise? Trying to figure if we would use it? Last trip we didn't take advantage of all that was offered so this time...I want it to be different.

3) Wine Packages - Can we do a tasting to be sure that the bottles we pick are ones that we like? Some red wines taste like "latex bandaids" to me! :confused:

Thank you, Crew News, for your reviews and posts, especially the menus. I enjoy a preview. I am looking forward to seeing the photos you are taking. Your eagle photos prompted me to book the "deadliest catch" tour last summer.

Vicki

Was the ice off Emerald Lake? One of my all time favourite places I have seen in over 20 countries and, go figure, it is right here at home.

I am sure it was a typo, but just in case anyone is interested in more research the sheep you saw are dall sheep, not doll.

No ice on Emerald Lake during our tour.

Thanks so much for posting all the menus, etc.

1) When we cruised HAL years ago....Bread Pudding was served every day! I love BP and looked forward to it again. BUT not really seeing it as a staple anymore??

2) Never rented a Cabana or Cabana Club. Do you think it will be too cold to use on our late September cruise? Trying to figure if we would use it? Last trip we didn't take advantage of all that was offered so this time...I want it to be different.

3) Wine Packages - Can we do a tasting to be sure that the bottles we pick are ones that we like? Some red wines taste like "latex bandaids" to me! :confused:

1. I haven't felt the urge for bread pudding in our last few cruises so I haven't looked for it yet. I will ask tomorrow.

2. Most of the cabanas were booked this week but only one booked for next week. The cold wind and rain are discouraging factors for Alaska at least in my opinion. Now the Caribbean is another story.

3. Since I don't drink wine, I have not been paying attention but there are wine tasting events nearly every day from what others have said. I would check the wine lists that I have posted, sample at home, and purchase what your home-tasting experience prefers.

Glacier Bay day began with fog and clouds but blossomed into bright sun with a blue sky while at Marjorie Glacier.

Breakfast arrived on time with eggs measuring 122 degrees and bacon at 113. I ordered pineapple juice and it arrived. The taste was strange and it will not be ordered again. I also wrote in “yogurt parfait” and placed it into the minibar for my probiotic, late night, snack.

The trip through Glacier Bay seemed too quick and the boarded naturalist talk was only intermittently on the television. For the first time in many years, I saw no calving of the Marjorie Glacier in spite of some very loud cracking sounds. We did not stop at any other glaciers.

Being on board all day was a chance to catch up on scanning and getting answers for CC friends.

The free dinner at the Canaletto was tasty and the strawberry gelato was creamy and not too sweet.

The Neptune Lounge Concierge did produce a daily appetizer menu that I will be scanning later today, I also obtained the Signature Class MDR table layout for posting later as well.

Exiting Glacier Bay brought some bumpy seas but as we neared Ketchikan, the water smooted.

A short report for now but my time in Ketchikan should produce more information.

More later.

Crew News, how is the Internet aboard? Is it worth buying a package when we join you? We just got off the Westerdam and the service was very spotty and slow. Definitely not worth the price. I don't want to buy a package if it will be more of the same.

The internet remains aggravatingly slow with random disconnections with at least one in every ten minutes and many in less than three-minute intervals.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. It sounds like what we dealt with on the Westerdam.

Do you happen to know who the Piano Bar pianist is?