Live Nieuw Amsterdam Inaugural 2016 Cruise to Alaska

Crew News

Another orange glow enveloped our thin stateroom curtains as the bright sun soaked the Nieuw Amsterdam Thursday as we sailed into Ketchikan. This means that every excursion day on this cruise has been bright and sunny.

Breakfast arrived promptly at 8:00 AM Egg temperature was 122 degrees and my oatmeal 113 degrees. It must be noted that the quantity was equivalent to two+ boxes of cold cereal. Another observation was the necessity of entering “crispy” when ordering bacon unless you can accept less than crispy.

My Alaska Seafood Excursion was one of my all-time best. Only 12 tour members took the bus to our boat landing. Outerwear was offered for the 40 minutes that we would be aboard the high-speed catamaran. With no windows, all 12 of us got great pictures as we stopped to feed some eagle nesting in a tall tree. The next 15 minutes was spent trying to keep warm as we flew across the water towards our seafood lunch. Our destination supports king salmon fishing trips as well as seafood feasts.

Enroute we stopped to observe the Navy Sonar Test Station that tests submarines sonar signatures in the 1800-feet deep water. It would really be cool to see a submarine surface as we passed. One did not decide to do so.

Upon landing, we had a short walk over a raised walkway through the moss-covered trees/vegetation. When we arrived back at the lodge, a doe and fawn were standing only 20 feet from the end of the walkway. Lots of great pictures were taken of the posing deer.

The seafood lunch was a large strainer of seafood dumped on the newspapers covering our eight-top picnic table. Melted butter, tongs, shell crackers, a plastic fork, and napkins were arranged before us before the cooking pot was dumped in the middle of both picnic tables. Corn, clams, freshly-caught crab, mussels, shrimp, garlic, pearl onions, and red potatoes were quickly devoured by my table mates before being offered all of the uneaten seafood from the other table. Gluttony ruled the day and then we each were offered large chocolate chip cookies.

The boat ride back to Ketchikan chilled all of us to the bone and the bus back to the ship provided a warm environment. I would strongly recommend this excursion.

My dinner at my MDR for only the third time in the past 10 days surprised my waiter who had become used to my absence as I enjoyed all of the Specialty Restaurants. The salmon entrée was perfectly prepared. Due to the closeness of my seafood feast to dinner, I skipped the dessert.

Good news greeted me when I returned to the stateroom in our In-transit Disembarkation instructions. NO passenger safety drill required in Vancouver on Saturday for us!! It will be another great chance for unobstructed photos of the ship while all others are absent.

The nice televisions have signal issues with blackouts (no signal) lasting from seconds to hours.

The two guest chefs in the next stateroom thanked me for recommending the Crab Fishing Excursion on the Aleutian Ballad to see all of the swooping eagles.

The On Locations for the entire cruise are now posted on my website and the menus will be completed sometime tomorrow afternoon.

More later.

Edited by Crew News

Thank you for another wonderful post! Are you going on another Alaska cruise on Saturday?

Yes. We will be repeating the same cruise again. Alaska has so much to see and so many excursion possibilities, that one week is not enough. Our Room Steward is well-tuned to our wishes and treats us like his family, the MDR waiters can read my wishes like a book, the Neptune Lounge Concierges are now friends, The New York Pizza guys have memorized our regular order, and we have again brought great weather to Alaska again this year. So we do Alaska for two consecutive cruises each year and will do so again in 2017.

There are lots of CC questions to be answered for those who follow us to Alaska and finding answers taps into my investigative nature.

I've never been to Alaska but you are making it sound very appealing. Thank you.

We discovered Alaska in 2008 and have enjoyed the scenery, wildlife, fresh seafood, and the very clean air. As a photographer, Alaska is filled with opportunity. As a foodie, Alaska is filled with fresh flavors. As a history buff, Alaska is a gold mine. As a Holland America lover, it is a true retreat from the hustle and bustle of home.

One of my favorite statements, "You don't know what you don't know" is so true about Alaska. The independent nature of the residents, some less than ideal living conditions, and the immaculate environment must be experienced to be appreciated.

When you feel a stronger call to Alaska, there are many of us here on CC ready to help in your planning.

Since all of my photographs are shot in RAW format, it will be a few weeks until they are available. Keep an eye out for them.

Yes. We will be repeating the same cruise again. Alaska has so much to see and so many excursion possibilities, that one week is not enough. Our Room Steward is well-tuned to our wishes and treats us like his family, the MDR waiters can read my wishes like a book, the Neptune Lounge Concierges are now friends, The New York Pizza guys have memorized our regular order, and we have again brought great weather to Alaska again this year. So we do Alaska for two consecutive cruises each year and will do so again in 2017.

There are lots of CC questions to be answered for those who follow us to Alaska and finding answers taps into my investigative nature.

How exciting! Have a marvelous time! I love following your thread since I too, also love Alaska! This summer we are going on our fourth cruise there. Though not on HAL, it's the 10 day from San Francisco on Princess. A new route for us so we're looking forward to that. Continue to have a great time!

Looking for this excursion for my July cruise. Is it called "Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast"? It sounds great! Thanks for your reports.

I believe the one he described is called "Alaskan Lodge Adventure and Seafeast." I have it booked for about three weeks from now and am even more excited after reading his great review!

Looking for this excursion for my July cruise. Is it called "Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast"? It sounds great! Thanks for your reports.

I will be on the floatplane version of this excursion next week. I was on your version two years ago. A bus trip to the George Inlet lofg and about 77 steps down to the lodge from the road. A van is provided for those who cannot make the steps. Same number of steps up when you are finished.

The catamaran ride to demonstrate how a crab is caught as well as touching one of the crabs either precedes or follows the feast.

The feast is all of the Dungeness crab you can eat in one hour so don't fill up on the free appetizers and free bar. They will keep bringing crab legs as fast as you can eat them. Gluttony rules and my success rate was 5 crab halves The record is 12 for someone who had very fast fingers. A large slice of NY-style cheesecake follows the feast for the few who have any extra room.

The feast is also available via floatplane for a smaller number of people so my pictures cover both feast versions:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan/ketchikan-crab-feasting/

I am willing to answer any questions about this excursion.

Going to Alaska frequently and only seeing the usual ports is like looking at the tip of an iceberg. A land/sea trip is ideal, and I was fortunate enough to drive there some years ago as well. There is so much to see and do, Alaska is stunning.

How exciting! Have a marvelous time! I love following your thread since I too, also love Alaska! This summer we are going on our fourth cruise there. Though not on HAL, it's the 10 day from San Francisco on Princess. A new route for us so we're looking forward to that. Continue to have a great time!

Enjoy the new route! My ninth (I think) trip was last year on the 14-day R/T Seattle, that took us to Homer, Kodiak, Anchorage, and ISP, in addition more frequently-visited ports. It's great to get to see new ports or glaciers or .... :)

Now, if the Cdn $ would improve, I'd seriously look at spending a week on Douglas Island. I found a cute little airBnB place that I'd love to stay at :)

Bon Voyage!

Thanks for the wonderful reports Roger! We really appreciate all your hard work. Can't wait to see your photos. Enjoy your next week and have fun looking at the luggage in the hall, knowing that you can stay onboard for another lap! :)

Roger, you're so generous with your time and information for everyone-thank you so much. I wish I could convince hubby to do Alaska again-maybe one year!

Hope your second week goes smoothly-looking forward to the stunning photography you do. Our son is just arriving back from Europe tonight so will

give him the calendar!

Thanks for the wonderful reports Roger! We really appreciate all your hard work. Can't wait to see your photos. Enjoy your next week and have fun looking at the luggage in the hall, knowing that you can stay onboard for another lap! :)

First photos to be processed will be of the cooking class for you followed by my new batch of stateroom images that I promised to other CC members.

The hallway is again filling with luggage......and none of the pieces are mine!!

Weather next week looks pretty good so I should be able to add to my collection.

I will post the last menus for lunch and dinner for the Lido Market Place and the MDR later this evening if I can get a decent internet connection lasting longer than a few minutes.

Hey Roger, have you or anyone you know, have taken the Rain forest Sanctuary & eagle center tour in Ketchikan, an how was the tour, is it worth taking? Been thinkin about it.

Virginia

I was on a similar tour that included black bear watching from elevated tree stands with swinging bridges between the trees, a small rescue center with a few owls, and then a totem pole carver shed. It was not on my top tours list for Ketchikan.

Edited by Crew News

I'm awake early here at the Pan Pacific. We have a high room directly overlooking the dock at Canada Place so we can watch our ship come in in a couple of hours.

It's so nice not to have to think about transportation to the port. We just have a bellman pick up our luggage from the room and take an elevator down to the terminal at our leisure. Starting to get excited.

Just found your thread (not here as often). Truly appreciate the time and effort you have taken. Your website has a wealth of information that proves so useful. THANK YOU!

I'm awake early here at the Pan Pacific. We have a high room directly overlooking the dock at Canada Place so we can watch our ship come in in a couple of hours.

It's so nice not to have to think about transportation to the port. We just have a bellman pick up our luggage from the room and take an elevator down to the terminal at our leisure. Starting to get excited.

Have a great trip!

Have a nice one and enjoy NADM + AK