No internet package- on purpose?

I hope there won't be tons of people on their phones. I plan on getting it only to check in with my kids at home. My youngest has never been away from us more than a night. Otherwise, I love being cutoff from the "real world".

Just my opinion, but I would never pay for internet unless I absolutely had to have it for some reason. We always find some free internet in some ports to check in at home. Don't really know why anyone would pay for it just because other people do? It's really nice to unplug for vacation.

We never purchase an Internet package while we are on vacation. If we need to communicate we use text messaging and that is it.:)

The only time we take our phone with us is when we get off the ship or for pictures on the ship. It is a personal choice.

Our previous two cruises, we didn't get internet, or use our phones aboard ship. Even in port, we used them only sparingly. It was nice to be untethered for a few days.

Our upcoming cruise will be different because we'll need to be in contact with home. My wife will keep me in check, so no worries about overuse. Lol

We don't buy internet while cruising. We like the fact that we are unavailable for a week. Now obviously we tell our families how to contact the ship in case of an emergency but once we sail away on day 1 we put our phones in airplane mode and don't switch that off till we are back.

I did send a few texts in St. Thomas just to say hi to family but that was on our network since it worked in St. Thomas.

I/we use internet basically to check the weather for ports of call before we book shore excursions.

Since many shore excursions operate rain or shine, it is real downer when you pre-book shore excursions

and the weather is lousy when you get there.

Even though FOS now has Voom, I'm seriously considering going phone/internet free.

My question is- will I be the only one? Is everyone walking around on their phones/tablets like at home?

Thank God, I thought it was only me that thought like this ! To me, cruises are a way to escape the day-to-day and disconnect and we have no intention of buying any package either... We're going on a 12-night in late October, I really hope there's not gonna be a group of the Walking Dead shuffling thru staring at their phones during dinner, around the pool, on the Promenade, etc.. :D

I saw a lot of phone use on Oasis last week. I even saw one guy in the solarium pool with a waterproof case, tapping away at his phone while in the water. That said, I would estimate that only 10-15% of the people I saw had phones in their hands all the time. Most of those people were teenagers. You will not be alone in any respect if you don't use a phone on the ship.

I'm a huge nerd and am never without my phone in the real world, but when I'm onboard I don't want anything to do with the internet. We did get an international data plan this cruise for the ports because we play a GPS capture-the-flag style game (told you I'm a nerd) and could get unique captures on the islands while walking around, but that's the only time I pulled out my phone. That was actually a good idea, because it gave me something to do in Nassau that made it worth getting off the ship for. But as soon as we were back on board, the phones got put in airplane mode and put away except when we were using them as cameras.

I love being disconnected from the world while on a ship. It's so peaceful knowing that people don't have to know where I am, what I'm doing, at every single moment of the day. We also just check in with home via a few texts in the evening before dinner but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though FOS now has Voom, I'm seriously considering going phone/internet free.

My question is- will I be the only one? Is everyone walking around on their phones/tablets like at home?

I've never bought or used any sort of internet on any of our cruises. My phone goes into airplane mode once I get onboard and only serves as a camera for me. If we go to a port that has free Wi-Fi, I check email one time to make sure there isn't any literally life or death situations going on back home and then I turn it back off. No facebook, no sports scores, news, anything. If I can't get it on the tvs onboard I don't need it.

I do realize some people do actually either need/really want it, but I've found being disconnected is actually quite nice and really allows me to fully enjoy my vacation.

I never get the package. I simply tell work that I'm on a cruise and won't have voice mail or email access. Never had any issues or problems

Will sometimes check into email when I'm on shore and have free wifi access. Otherwise I'm

Incommunicado

I do the same, though as I'll be away a bit longer than usual, I may buy a day here or there, but not a whole package.

I do carry my phone around with me, as I photograph things like port agent info and other useful details. Instead of highlighting events I'm interested in, I add them to my calendar the night before, and then check the calendar on my phone if I'm at a loose end.

as we don't want or need it. Our cat sitter has been instructed to call the ship on our landline if a true emergency occurs with our cat or house. Otherwise, we are more than glad to be disconnected for 10+ days.

When my elderly parents were still alive. I would use 5 minutes of internet in port to check on them but that was it.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I'm not a huge phone person when I'm home, so it's pretty limited when I'm on vacation. This upcoming one will be a bit different as I'm traveling solo to Europe for the first time and will be away for 18 days total, which is my longest trip ever. I will call my family about 3 or 4 times while I'm gone and will possibly buy a day of internet usage to make people jealous with pictures but that's about it. I looked at the packages as I considered doing a live review, but decided against it. I'm looking forward to being truly disconnected and talking to the people around me.