is the "nickel and dining" that bad?

RMac713

I have read the same complaints on the Princess, Celebrity, and RCCL forums as well.

We have sailed NCL for the past 9 years now; however, I still do price comparisons. What they charge extra for is in line with everyone else. Also, none of the charges are mandatory. If you wish to purchase something, you purchase it! I like having all of the different options.

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

"Nickel and diming" is a term used by people who are disgruntled because they didn't do their due diligence to research all costs associated with cruising and cruising activities.

Every cruise line will try to get every penny they can out of you. Business 101.

If you know what your costs will be in advance of your booking you can make an intelligent decision on which line you want to spend your hard earned money on.

That's the thing. You do your due diligence and think you know what your cost are but if you book a year out or more by the time your cruise gets here the final cost is different and some of the free items are now either gone or replaced with a for fee venue.

Bill

Understand what you are saying Vince. I think some of us just have a different definition of what "nickel and diming" means.

It's more simply corporate greed, and a bad case of it. It just sucks for those of us who feel their vacation has been diminished in some way by all the NCL changes. All I know for sure is I won't be purchasing a FCC on my November cruise.

All good points made above. I wouldn't make my choice just regarding nickel and diming. Everyone has their own view on this and some can be avoided. Since your cruise isn't until next March what you book today may not be what you get next March. Just something to consider. By the time I took my 2/2016 Escape cruise it looked nothing like when I booked it. Many of the changes occurred during this time. Now I have Getaway 1/2017 booked and looks like the free grill will be fee Margaritaville so just a heads up. Harvest Caye which is their private island will have no free food or beverages plus all the other changes made within the last year. Possibility might not even be open by 1/2017 (our cruise date) due to all the delays already. Just something to consider.

Another point to consider is your date. This is Spring break time and NCL ships can get very crowded and many children during this time. Our 2/13/2016 Escape had over 1500 kids. Even though they are big ships a lot of their floor space is taken over by haven, specialty dining and Vibe which are private spaces. It does feel crowded IMHO. The pool areas are terrible, again IMHO. Spice is the adult area but not much shade, which we prefer. We did like waterfront but no loungers.

They still tout "freestyle". I just don't get it. If you want to enjoy anything you have to plan ahead and make reservations for specialty dining and some entertainment. If you want a Vibe pass you have to make a mad dash to get one. If you can't be one of the first on board, sorry out of luck. Not exactly doing what you want when you want.

One other suggestion, if you do chose NCL try and get the Vibe pass or whatever they call it on Getaway, especially if you don't have a balcony.(We were too late). Thankfully we did have a balcony. At least then you know you'll get a lounger and be some what away from the crowds. Just make sure you add the extra $100 pp on to your price when comparing costs.

On the plus side, Million Dollar Quartet is the best show I've seen at sea. This alone has me excited for my cruise. (besides cruising with the grandkids) It wasn't scheduled to be on Getaway when I booked. Hopefully it will still be there next year. (It was on Escape and moved to Getaway). So don't book just for this show. Nothing is guaranteed. If you go in eyes wide open I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever cruise you chose.

We didn't purchase and will not purchase a FCC either. Just too much uncertainty going on at NCL right now.

Edited by tartan cruiser

If you are not going to use the UBP then you don't have to take the package and pay the gratuities.

Room service charge information is right there in the FAQ's. Nothing is hidden.

I never said anything was hidden. I'm on a fact finding mission right now, learning what is included and what is not.

We do drink and I very much look forward to our drinks package that is included on our 'other' cruise line. We simply won't use the UDP on NCL, no rocket science there. Glad for these boards and the info given.:)

I prefer not to be surprised and ticked while on a cruise.

Thank you fshagan, for the explanation of fees for shows.

We will more than likely be taking this cruise on NCL, but we will wait until they eliminate the allegedly 'free' dining and UDP and perhaps the fares will come down a tad more.

Thanks everyone. It is a learning experience for sure.

I have read the same complaints on the Princess, Celebrity, and RCCL forums as well.

We have sailed NCL for the past 9 years now; however, I still do price comparisons. What they charge extra for is in line with everyone else. Also, none of the charges are mandatory. If you wish to purchase something, you purchase it! I like having all of the different options.

Thanks- could not have said it better.

To all the "nickel and dimers" out there:

Just looked at my invoice for future 7-night cruise. It lists $223.92 for service charges for UBP and 3-night dining plan.

Consider the UBP: I would never buy it outright since neither of us drink enough to warrant it. That said, we would probably have at least a glass of wine at dinner each night and more than likely have at least one mixed drink or beer each day. If you were buying drinks outright, at that rate, assuming $12.00 per drink plus service charge, you would spend about $400.00

Consider the dining plan: We would probably eat in at least three specialties

even without the dining plan. At an average of $30.00 per person with service charge you would spend a little over $200.00

By my math I am coming out ahead by paying $224.00

With regard to the $7.95 room service fee, I don't consider it an issue.

If I want juice and coffee in the morning, I don't pay it. If I want a cooked to order hot breakfast, I pay it. Someone has to take the order, someone has to cook it and someone has to deliver it in an expedient manner.

As much as anything, the delivery fee is an aversion thing. Maybe someone will think twice about ordering room service if it is extra. I have seen too many trays with half eaten food sitting in the hallways. Same goes for pizza.

Can you imagine how many pizzas would be ordered if they were free.

Pictures, bingo, scratch offs and whatever may be nice to have but do you really need them to have a nice cruise.

You cannot be "nickel and dimed" if you don't want to be.

I never said anything was hidden. I'm on a fact finding mission right now, learning what is included and what is not.

We do drink and I very much look forward to our drinks package that is included on our 'other' cruise line. We simply won't use the UDP on NCL, no rocket science there. Glad for these boards and the info given.:)

I prefer not to be surprised and ticked while on a cruise.

Thank you fshagan, for the explanation of fees for shows.

We will more than likely be taking this cruise on NCL, but we will wait until they eliminate the allegedly 'free' dining and UDP and perhaps the fares will come down a tad more.

Thanks everyone. It is a learning experience for sure.

Good luck on the waiting this one out. This sale has been going on in one form or another for who knows how long. The longer it goes the less you get included.

There are some like you who wish the sale would end and have lower rates but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Good luck

Bill

Just looked at my invoice for future 7-night cruise. It lists $223.92 for service charges for UBP and 3-night dining plan.

Consider the UBP: I would never buy it outright since neither of us drink enough to warrant it. That said, we would probably have at least a glass of wine at dinner each night and more than likely have at least one mixed drink or beer each day. If you were buying drinks outright, at that rate, assuming $12.00 per drink plus service charge, you would spend about $400.00

even without the dining plan. At an average of $30.00 per person with service charge you would spend a little over $200.00

If I want juice and coffee in the morning, I don't pay it. If I want a cooked to order hot breakfast, I pay it. Someone has to take the order, someone has to cook it and someone has to deliver it in an expedient manner.

As much as anything, the delivery fee is an aversion thing. Maybe someone will think twice about ordering room service if it is extra. I have seen too many trays with half eaten food sitting in the hallways. Same goes for pizza.

Pictures, bingo, scratch offs and whatever may be nice to have but do you really need them to have a nice cruise.

This is absolutely true, IMO. I've sailed five times now and have never felt that I was "nickel and dimed" about anything. I paid for the stuff I wanted to do/eat and didn't pay for the stuff I didn't. I have never once felt "forced" to pay for anything. I've also never felt like there was some charge that I didn't know about or didn't expect.

While I certainly understand that the changes NCL has made might make some formerly loyal NCL cruisers decide to jump ship, I've never understood why people seem to take it so personally. NCL is a business. The whole purpose is to make profits for shareholders. So it makes business decisions.

If you don't feel those decisions work for you, sail another line or choose a different vacation. But acting like NCL has "betrayed" you just seems strange to me. They aren't my friend or my family and they don't owe me anything other than what they agreed to when I purchased my ticket.

It's more simply corporate greed, and a bad case of it. It just sucks for those of us who feel their vacation has been diminished in some way by all the NCL changes. All I know for sure is I won't be purchasing a FCC on my November cruise.

This just a bunch of crap, a corporation is obligated to their share holders to make as much as they possibly can. How has your vacation been "diminished"?

I am not sure why since you are so unhappy for a November cruise why you do not cancel and book somewhere else you will be happier?

I've been doing a lot of research this last week and have my cruise options for next mid-March down to a Carnival Magic eastern and the NCL Getaway western. I am leaning to Carnival due to itinerary and price' date=' but am still intrigued with NCL because the food looks better (we would get 3 signature dining meals included as part of the current promotion), a Broadway show I would like to see, and Carnival's party reputation, although we would on a 7 night cruise which is supposed to be less wild. We will be 53, no kids on this trip, and we don't gamble, and don't drink much, although we aren't going to be going to bed at 10 or anything.

What is also turning me away from NCL is all the talk on the boards about "nickel and diming" and things that cost money now that didn't before (i.e. room service). Those of you who have cruised NCL before seem to have strong opinions about it. I have only cruised 3 times, and all on DCL, so that is my reference, so I know the service will suffer either way, but does anyone want to give me a reason to keep NCL in consideration?[/quote']

I am in agreement with those who say it's like that on all cruise lines--there are extras and you can choose to pay for them or forego them. I love the specialty restaurants and the variety of them on NCL. I don't feel nickled and dimed at all becuase it's something I enjoy and am willing to pay for. I don't use room service so that doesn't impact me. There's a limited room service breakfast menu that doesn't have the delivery charge.

I also wanted to chime in on your comment about Carnival's party reputation. I'm platinum on Carnival and the only time a Carnival cruise has lived up to the reputation was when we went on a 4-day cruise over a weekend. I've seen more partiers on other lines. My experience is that many of the people who talk about Carnival's reputation have never stepped foot on a Carnival ship. I've done 7- to 12-day cruises on Carnival that have had very similar atmospheres to what I've experienced on NCL and Princess.

I'm almost new to NCL (I would have said going to be new, but not so sure now).

I'm doing my due diligence and glad I'm finding out about these charges prior to (maybe) booking.

Yesterday I learned that my 'free' UDP would cost us $200.00. For a package that we will not use (no coke products for my soda only drinking husband and 1 chardonnay that isn't that good for me-all I drink and NO specialty coffees).:eek:

And because of this thread I am learning that there is a charge for room service? Joke, right?:confused:

I've also learned on this thread that there is a gratuity added to specialty dining. My goodness. I understand the drinks package gratuity, but I've never heard of it at specialty dining (again, never cruised NCL but I have many years with 3 other cruise lines which don't tack on that charge).

And if I'm understanding correctly there may be a service charge for some of the shows?

I only saw that comment once and it was late, I may have been having a nightmare.

Are there any other surprises that NCL has in store that most cruise lines don't charge for?

These things are adding up. Don't get me wrong, they won't break the bank.

But feeling this way before even stepping foot on the ship makes me think that NCL may not be the cruise line for us.:(

Sad because it was the perfect date, perfect departure port. We may be driving down to Ft. Lauderdale after all.

On the NCL cruises I've taken, I haven't even considered the UBP since I don't drink much. You don't have to choose it just because it's offered. When I booked this week there was a lower fare offered if I didn't choose any promos. As someone else mentioned, these promos have been around in some form for a long time now--who knows when that will end.

As others have said, what some people consider being nickled and dimed others consider having a choice. I really don't see that many differences between NCL and Princess and Carnival. They're all more alike than they are different and I've never felt like I was being nickled and dimed on any of them.

:D

Thanks, I realize I don't have to take the UDP and we won't bother, it simply isn't worth the cost.

Thanks for the tip on getting a fare without the offers, I'll check.

If you're booking online and you don't see it, just give them or your TA a call and see if it's available. I've chosen the 250 minutes of wifi for my promo each time as I want to keep in touch with my kids. They're adults, but I still talk with my youngest every day.

and Carnival's party reputation' date=' although we would on a 7 night cruise which is supposed to be less wild. We will be 53, no kids on this trip, and we don't gamble, and don't drink much, although we aren't going to be going to bed at 10 or anything.

What is also turning me away from NCL is all the talk on the boards about "nickel and diming" and things that cost money now that didn't before (i.e. room service).?[/quote']

I have been on four carnival cruises ranging from 5 to 8 days. While I have not been on NCL recently, my daughter was on one last year. Don't let the Carnival party reputation steer you away from them. In my experience it is no different than any other cruise line. The reputation is WAY overblown.

I really think the differences between cruise lines are minor compared to what they have in common. I personally would go with the Carnival cruise, simply because I do not like the Western ports of call. I like the Eastern much better.

At the end of the day, it comes down to your preference. Either will give you a nice vacation at a reasonable price.

This just a bunch of crap, a corporation is obligated to their share holders to make as much as they possibly can. How has your vacation been "diminished"?

I am not sure why since you are so unhappy for a November cruise why you do not cancel and book somewhere else you will be happier?

Just your opinion, thus not worth crap to me.

I have already discussed my reasons for dissatisfaction with them both as share holder and a customer, and the reason I don't cancel. It is apparent that you didn't even bother to read, but I've come to expect that.

Edited by vince_g

Are you kidding?? Booking mock cruises is a full time job for me!

Could someone, please, just pay me to cruise??? :D:D

I did call NCL and she told me that my cruise is too far out (11/17) to get the cabin without the perks at a lower price.

Well, maybe in a few months then. I have cruises booked for June and Sept 2017 and I noticed the rate-without-perks was available on Monday when I booked the Sept cruise, but I don't recall on the June cruise which I booked about a month ago.

Also, in the past, before there was a room service fee, only suite guests had the option of a full, delivered breakfast. Now, anyone can, if they feel the charge is worth it in value to them.

"Nickel and diming" is a term used by people who are disgruntled because they didn't do their due diligence to research all costs associated with cruising and cruising activities.

Every cruise line will try to get every penny they can out of you. Business 101.

If you know what your costs will be in advance of your booking you can make an intelligent decision on which line you want to spend your hard earned money on.

False

Its not a play on words or disgruntled people. Of course all cruise lines or resorts do it but the phrase has nothing to do with disgruntled people and it has nothing to do with people not planning on spending. If consumers know costs in advance then they can plan. Vacation resorts and cruise lines charge surprise or hidden fees that many first time cruisers are not aware of. Fee's for eating better food, NCL charges for entertainment, spa use, etc. Its not accurate or fair to call those consumers disgruntled. Its a phrase that is widely and commonly used.

I agree with others that everyone has a different definition of what "nickel and diming" means. To me, it is not nickel and diming to charge extra for specialty meals or to charge for the Supper Club or Illusionarium, or to add on fees for gratuities at the end of the cruise.

"Nickel and diming" to me implies charging extra for things that are normally included. A prime offender of "nickel and diming" is Spirit Airlines. They charge you to carry on a bag. They charge you if you want to pick your seat in advance. They charge you if you don't print out your boarding pass at home. They charge you for a can of Coke. I'm surprised there isn't a coin slot on the toilet. That said, the Spirit base fares are cheap, but after you add in these costs, not as much. They create the appearance of costing wildly less than their competition, but the difference is not as great after the N&D.

You can only be nickeled and dimed if you allow it. No one forces you to have room service (you can have the free continental breakfast), no one forces you to pay the 18% gratuity on the dining or beverage packages (you can either pick another perk that doesn't have an additional cost or don't purchase them). One really doesn't have to pay anything more than their cruise fare, not even the DSC, if they don't want to, as there is enough free beverages, dining, activities, etc. that are at no-charge. If you get nickeled and dimed, you are the one taking the money out of your purse or wallet. NCL doesn't nickel and dime you more than other cruise lines.

You are right, of course. It is possible to avoid room service, and to only eat in MDR's -- but to the extent the food quality and service in those MDR's have been downgraded from previous levels as the number (and costs) of the specialty restaurants have increased, you are feeling encouraged to seek alternatives other than the formerly perfectly adequate included options. Then too, considering the amounts involved, "nickel and dime" really is not the appropriate term: how about $10 and $20?

You are right, of course. It is possible to avoid room service, and to only eat in MDR's -- but to the extent the food quality and service in those MDR's have been downgraded from previous levels as the number (and costs) of the specialty restaurants have increased, you are feeling encouraged to seek alternatives other than the formerly perfectly adequate included options. Then too, considering the amounts involved, "nickel and dime" really is not the appropriate term: how about $10 and $20?
If you choose to eat in the specialty dining venues, that is a choice not nickel and diming. If they started charging you to eat in the MDR or buffet, to me that would be nickel and diming.