is the "nickel and dining" that bad?

RMac713

I've been doing a lot of research this last week and have my cruise options for next mid-March down to a Carnival Magic eastern and the NCL Getaway western. I am leaning to Carnival due to itinerary and price, but am still intrigued with NCL because the food looks better (we would get 3 signature dining meals included as part of the current promotion), a Broadway show I would like to see, and Carnival's party reputation, although we would on a 7 night cruise which is supposed to be less wild. We will be 53, no kids on this trip, and we don't gamble, and don't drink much, although we aren't going to be going to bed at 10 or anything.

What is also turning me away from NCL is all the talk on the boards about "nickel and diming" and things that cost money now that didn't before (i.e. room service). Those of you who have cruised NCL before seem to have strong opinions about it. I have only cruised 3 times, and all on DCL, so that is my reference, so I know the service will suffer either way, but does anyone want to give me a reason to keep NCL in consideration?

It really depends on what you want to do.

I couldn't care less that NCL has a reputation for nickel and dimeing if it doesn't affect me.

For example, I never use room service, so it makes no difference to me if they charge for it.

It's difficult to avoid absolutely every extra charge, but for many of us, the extra charges are very low.

Take the cruise fare, add in the daily service charge, the gratuities you will have to pay on the dining package and the cost of any drinks you may buy (plus 18%) and you may not be far off having everything covered.

Just consider whether there are any other things (spa, pictures, souvenirs) which are totally optional and then you can get a good idea of the total cost.

I've always found that thinking of the final bill, including extras that you know you are going to spend, right from the beginning is the best way to go. A mistake that a lot of people make is just to consider the base fare and then everything else is a shock.

Edited by KeithJenner

As mentioned, there are many items or additional services available for purchase, but only if you want them. Nothing is forced on you or pressure applied. Other than the basic costs mentioned, there is no need to spend another dollar to have a really nice cruise.

Cruises have been traditionally all-inclusive vacations. An exception for liquor, of course... NCL used to get a bad rap because of the upcharges for the specialty restaurants. I don't view that as nickle and diming since that friction charge is needed to prevent overcrowding of a scarce resource. The problem in the last few years is gradual increase in extra charges that are not mapped to a supply/demand situation.

The dining packages were scaled back and gratuities, which used to be included, are now a charge. Free restaurants became a la carte. Flat rate specialty restaurants (without a dining plan) went a la carte. Room service charges popped up. The existing upcharges went up. Menu items at certain restaurants are now no longer honored as part of the dining plan. The list goes on and keeps going on.

The other complaint is scaling back of things that are replaced with an inferior product or nothing at all. That's not what you asked about, but it does add to the overall dissatisfaction. (Is a removal of a feature the same as a surcharge? Kinda...)

Edited by Sizzlechest

This is something mainly griped about by those who have sailed NCL for several years, like me, and over the past year or so seen a constant stream of things like increases, twice in 3 months, of the Daily Service Charges, a new fee for room service delivery, an auto add on of 18% gratuity to drinks and specialty dinners, and a changeover from cover charges for specialty dinners to a la carte pricing for several restaurants. Although many call it that, it does not fit into the definition of "nickle and dimeing" in my opinion, but just seems more like a money grab to me. But if you were a new cruiser, you probably would not notice.

We have been loyal to NCL primarily because we like the Freestyle concept, the entertainment is top notch, the crews are friendly, the service is good, and the quality of food in the specialties is worth the price. Lots of choices to be made in dining, both "free" and for "fee, and also in entertainment choices, especially on the newer ships. NCL was a great "value", and if it remains a good value, we will probably remain with them. On our last cruise in March, we saw a definate decline in food quality and service in all the specialties. Of course this is just one opinion, on one sailing, but it left me wondering if this will be the new trend. If you have experienced NCL of late, you are always waiting for the next shoe to drop.

But why not give NCL a try. Most likely you will enjoy the variety of choices and the experience will be good.

Edited by punkincc

"Nickel and diming" is a term used by people who are disgruntled because they didn't do their due diligence to research all costs associated with cruising and cruising activities.

Every cruise line will try to get every penny they can out of you. Business 101.

If you know what your costs will be in advance of your booking you can make an intelligent decision on which line you want to spend your hard earned money on.

Edited by ColinIllinois

Cruises have been traditionally all-inclusive vacations. An exception for liquor, of course... NCL used to get a bad rap because of the upcharges for the specialty restaurants. I don't view that as nickle and diming since that friction charge is needed to prevent overcrowding of a scarce resource. The problem in the last few years is gradual increase in extra charges that are not mapped to a supply/demand situation.

The dining packages were scaled back and gratuities, which used to be included, are now a charge. Free restaurants became a la carte. Flat rate specialty restaurants (without a dining plan) went a la carte. Room service charges popped up. The existing upcharges went up. Menu items at certain restaurants are now no longer honored as part of the dining plan. The list goes on and keeps going on.

The other complaint is scaling back of things that are replaced with an inferior product or nothing at all. That's not what you asked about, but it does add to the overall dissatisfaction. (Is a removal of a feature the same as a surcharge? Kinda...)

Thank you for so eloquently presenting how NCL has created bad blood with their past passengers, but don't forget how they just changed the $250 stockholder benefit from 14+ to 15+ days. I would cancel the 1 remaining cruise booked with them, but I don't want to pay a $100 cancel fee to TA. Also need to use my FCC. I don't like the way they conduct business, so I will sell off my shares after my cruise.

I know all the lines nickel and dime to an extent, but NCL does it best.

You can only be nickeled and dimed if you allow it. No one forces you to have room service (you can have the free continental breakfast), no one forces you to pay the 18% gratuity on the dining or beverage packages (you can either pick another perk that doesn't have an additional cost or don't purchase them). One really doesn't have to pay anything more than their cruise fare, not even the DSC, if they don't want to, as there is enough free beverages, dining, activities, etc. that are at no-charge. If you get nickeled and dimed, you are the one taking the money out of your purse or wallet. NCL doesn't nickel and dime you more than other cruise lines.

Honestly? I've sailed on Carnival, Royal, and NCL. My first NCL cruise was in 2001 and back then you paid your fare, you paid your gratuities... then the only other charges were drinks, photos/souveniers, and excursions. There were no specialty restaurants. No upcharge for any special areas of the ship.

Nowadays, yes there are more optional charges like for room service, to access exclusive areas etc. but having also done a carnival cruise last fall and a royal cruise the previous year... I struggle to see how NCL stands out in terms of nickle and diming. They all do it. On Carnival you can pay $60 for an option called "faster to the fun" which gets you on the boat fast, gets you your luggage fast, and gets you off the boat fast too. Honestly? Worth every freaking penny but it definately falls into the "nickel and dime" category. I wish NCL had an equivalent. All of them have specialty dining that is an extra fee. They all have activities on board that might cost extra.

So honestly? Don't let the talk of "nickel and diming" turn you off. It happens on all 3 of these cruise lines. We are looking into paying more for our next cruise and trying out a more premium line, just to give it a go once. I'll bet dollars to donuts that they nickel and dime too, just in different ways.

I'm almost new to NCL (I would have said going to be new, but not so sure now).

I'm doing my due diligence and glad I'm finding out about these charges prior to (maybe) booking.

Yesterday I learned that my 'free' UDP would cost us $200.00. For a package that we will not use (no coke products for my soda only drinking husband and 1 chardonnay that isn't that good for me-all I drink and NO specialty coffees).:eek:

And because of this thread I am learning that there is a charge for room service? Joke, right?:confused:

I've also learned on this thread that there is a gratuity added to specialty dining. My goodness. I understand the drinks package gratuity, but I've never heard of it at specialty dining (again, never cruised NCL but I have many years with 3 other cruise lines which don't tack on that charge).

And if I'm understanding correctly there may be a service charge for some of the shows?

I only saw that comment once and it was late, I may have been having a nightmare.

Are there any other surprises that NCL has in store that most cruise lines don't charge for?

These things are adding up. Don't get me wrong, they won't break the bank.

But feeling this way before even stepping foot on the ship makes me think that NCL may not be the cruise line for us.:(

Sad because it was the perfect date, perfect departure port. We may be driving down to Ft. Lauderdale after all.

You can only be nickeled and dimed if you allow it. No one forces you to have room service (you can have the free continental breakfast), no one forces you to pay the 18% gratuity on the dining or beverage packages (you can either pick another perk that doesn't have an additional cost or don't purchase them). One really doesn't have to pay anything more than their cruise fare, not even the DSC, if they don't want to, as there is enough free beverages, dining, activities, etc. that are at no-charge. If you get nickeled and dimed, you are the one taking the money out of your purse or wallet. NCL doesn't nickel and dime you more than other cruise lines.

Yes, true that no one is "forcing" you to use room service, or order an umbrella drink on the pool deck, or wine with dinner, or a couple drinks during the show. You are not forced to go have a fabulous dinner at Cagney's. But to forego doing these things that I normally enjoy during a cruise in order to avoid new fees and expenses is really going to change the enjoyment of my cruise. And most people, including myself, are not going to change their normal cruise habits, and therefore, these fees and changes cannot be avoided by most. We are truly a "captive audience" as noted by Mr. Del Rio.

The question everyone must answer for themselves is whether or not, with these changes and add ons, it is still a good value and a good experience.

Yesterday I learned that my 'free' UDP would cost us $200.00. For a package that we will not use (no coke products for my soda only drinking husband and 1 chardonnay that isn't that good for me-all I drink and NO specialty coffees).:eek:

And because of this thread I am learning that there is a charge for room service? Joke, right?:confused:

If you are not going to use the UBP then you don't have to take the package and pay the gratuities.

Room service charge information is right there in the FAQ's. Nothing is hidden.

Edited by ColinIllinois

We are truly a "captive audience" as noted by Mr. Del Rio.

You may not like what he said, but he was totally honest and NCL is not the only place where one is a captive audience. Yes you are a captive audience, just like you are at Disney (who BTW raises prices for certain items during certain high times of the year), at a sporting events (who charges sky high prices for items, such as drinks, food, etc.), just as you are at an airport (who charges sky high prices for items, such as drinks, food, etc.). If one doesn't want to spend the money for charges or high prices, then there are plenty of other places where one can vacation where they are not a captive audience. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm almost new to NCL (I would have said going to be new, but not so sure now).

I'm doing my due diligence and glad I'm finding out about these charges prior to (maybe) booking.

I've also learned on this thread that there is a gratuity added to specialty dining. My goodness. I understand the drinks package gratuity, but I've never heard of it at specialty dining (again, never cruised NCL but I have many years with 3 other cruise lines which don't tack on that charge).

And if I'm understanding correctly there may be a service charge for some of the shows?

I only saw that comment once and it was late, I may have been having a nightmare.

Are there any other surprises that NCL has in store that most cruise lines don't charge for?

These things are adding up. Don't get me wrong, they won't break the bank.

But feeling this way before even stepping foot on the ship makes me think that NCL may not be the cruise line for us.:(

Sad because it was the perfect date, perfect departure port. We may be driving down to Ft. Lauderdale after all.

The only shows that have a charge are ones that include a dinner also. There's often a "Murder Mystery Lunch" with a meal and "show"; that option can be on any ship. Then there's a circus tent acrobat type of show with a dinner on the mega ships (not on the Jewel class ships).

Gratuities were added to the specialty dining and drink packages. It makes them too expensive in our mind; the "extra value" just isn't there. To be honest, I have never had a meal in any specialty that I thought was worth the old, lower priced cover charge. NCL's new marketing often includes these as promos, and while you pay the gratuity on them, the gratuity-only price makes them a better value. But I would take a lower fare and eat in the complementary venues instead.

I read a review by someone who had not cruised NCL since 2003, and said the "nickle and diming I observed back then doesn't appear to be there any more". I thought it was interesting; when we first cruised NCL there were constant announcements about "gold by the inch" and specialty drinks on the PA system, and you were constantly asked about buying drinks. It is no longer like that, and I think that's what the returning person was referring to.

Except for cold continental breakfast items and coffee / tea delivered during the morning, there is a $7.95 charge for room service.

You can decline the "free" promo that will cost you $200 if you don't drink. NCL's drink prices are lower than some of the lines, and they include drinks priced higher than the $15 limit .... and you just pay the difference (on some other lines you pay the full price of a non-qualifying drink). $200 for two for 7 days is just over $14 per person per day, so if you drink two or three drinks it will pay for itself. We don't drink that much anyway so we would decline the promo.

To me, having options to buy things that were not available before is not "nickle and diming". Specialty restaurants are not "nickle and diming" because the MDR were not taken away. A dinner show with sweaty acrobats twirling 3 feet from your table is not "nickle and diming" for the same reason .... you never could get sweaty acrobats before, but now you can. Charges for things that used to be complementary are certainly in what people call "nickle and diming" and there are numerous examples, like the room service charge. NCL expanded the meager offerings when they instituted the charge, but still, its a charge for something that used to be free.

"Nickel and diming" is a term used by people who are disgruntled because they didn't do their due diligence to research all costs associated with cruising and cruising activities.

Every cruise line will try to get every penny they can out of you. Business 101.

If you know what your costs will be in advance of your booking you can make an intelligent decision on which line you want to spend your hard earned money on.

While new cruisers might not do their due diligence, there are many of us who are very savvy and know the costs etc. We book a cruise based on current ship information, which sets our expectations. Then, 5 months later we learn through CC that Uptown Grill is changing into something that doesn't interest us in the least. We feel disappointed because they have taken something away, and we realize this will make the buffet even busier. I can see where the feelings of disappointment might make us feel we've been nickle and dimed.

When we planned our cruise on the Epic we estimated how much the extras would add up to. I think we came within $20 of our estimates. We had the UDP, and a 3 night specialty dining package. We went to another 3 of the specialty restaurants, attended every show offered, and visited every port city on our cruise. We didn't use any of NCLs tour packages, we just figured out how to do it ourselves. I booked a spa treatment one day. And we participated in the obligatory bingo game...once.

If you know what you like to do it's easy to estimate costs and then decide if this is the right cruise for you. It was the right cruise for us and we've on the Sun touring South America next year.

Why not change your perks to something that you can both use and that won't cost you anything additional. I would never pick the beverage package if I wouldn't drink more than the 18% gratuity.

If you do keep it, the virgin strawberry daiquiris are fantastic.

While new cruisers might not do their due diligence, there are many of us who are very savvy and know the costs etc. We book a cruise based on current ship information, which sets our expectations. Then, 5 months later we learn through CC that Uptown Grill is changing into something that doesn't interest us in the least. We feel disappointed because they have taken something away, and we realize this will make the buffet even busier. I can see where the feelings of disappointment might make us feel we've been nickle and dimed.

Understand what you are saying Vince. I think some of us just have a different definition of what "nickel and diming" means.

Especially when the FREE, and very good food at Uptown Grill and Flamingo is replaced by "for FEE" and poor quality a la carte food at a Margaritaville:rolleyes:. A perfect example of a change done for no other reason than to generate revenue and which adds no value to the cruiser, but devalues the experience he had previously.

I could possibly understand if NCL felt they could no longer afford to provide the great food offered by these two venues at no charge, and decided to add a la carte prices or a small cover fee. You would still have value. But to replace that quality food with the same burgers you can get in the buffet for free? That provides no value for me, and becomes clearly a money grab. Save bucks on expenses in providing and preparing this food, and gain even more with the fees.

Edited by punkincc

I can see your point, but things work both ways. Things change, be it entertainment or venues and this works for some people and not for others. For example, we booked the Jade for next year and Blue Lagoon is changing to o'Sheehans which works better for us (although I've seen others who see it as a bad thing to lose Blue Lagoon).

It's annoying if it takes away something you like, but it can also be an improvement.

Edited by KeithJenner

I totally agree, I don't pay for the beverage package, or dining package therefore i don't pay for the 18% service charge. If i want to have a drink i pay for it, since i am not a big drinker it does not affect my budget. The only luxury i allow myself is the spa thermal suite special. I don't use the room service because i like going to the restaurant to eat. If you feel you are being nickled and dimed is because you feel you have to eat in all the restaurants or pay for every single thing they try to sell you. Is all about CHOICE. If you want to budget, a cruise is still the best bang for your buck.

Edited by qtaromar1970

This is kinda true but between us booking and actually sailing there have been additional charges for things that were originally "included in the fare". So, due dilligence didn't really help there. As we are EU booked it would have cost £150 per person to cancel so that really would have been cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Edited by Burgmeister