is the "nickel and dining" that bad?

RMac713

i choose to pay for the extras on NCL.....but adding the gratuity to the drink and dining packages is certainly nickel diming since we all pay a flat rate gratuity per day, and no ones seen a raise.

Bartenders are not included in the per day rate. They make their tips per drink served.

Also, specialty dining does not split the per day tips either because not everyone goes to the specialty restaurants.

Are you not going to tip either if you do not have the package? On land do you not tip waiters or bartenders?

Bartenders are not included in the per day rate. They make their tips per drink served.

Also, specialty dining does not split the per day tips either because not everyone goes to the specialty restaurants.

Are you not going to tip either if you do not have the package? On land do you not tip waiters or bartenders?

No one knows how the service charges and/or tips are divided. Many speculate on this board, but no one knows for sure.

No one knows how the service charges and/or tips are divided. Many speculate on this board, but no one knows for sure.

However, the quoted post is correct in the point about barstaff. They have never been included in the DSC and gratuities have been included on drink purchases for as long as j am aware of. For that reason, charging gratuities on the UBP is in line with past coatings and doesn't represent a new charge as such (although the rate has increased).

The situation. Is different with the dining package, as gratuities have only recently been added to speciality dining and the assumption previously was that paying the DSC covered your requirement to tip in those restaurants.

Fruit which was included on the breakfast menu is no longer free. Only thing we saw in December that was free were pastries and yogurt I believe. Coffee too, of course.

Fruit is still free.

For that reason, charging gratuities on the UBP is in line with past coatings and doesn't represent a new charge as such (although the rate has increased).

But that's part of what makes NCL more of a nickel and dime line than other lines. Other lines don't charge gratuities on the UBP, and they certainly don't do it when offering the UBP free as a booking promotion.

Edited by Aquahound

However, the quoted post is correct in the point about barstaff. They have never been included in the DSC and gratuities have been included on drink purchases for as long as j am aware of. For that reason, charging gratuities on the UBP is in line with past coatings and doesn't represent a new charge as such (although the rate has increased).

The situation. Is different with the dining package, as gratuities have only recently been added to speciality dining and the assumption previously was that paying the DSC covered your requirement to tip in those restaurants.

I believe when this program started Jan or Feb 2014 there were no grats attached to the UBP or UDP, of which UDP has morphed into SPD.

Edited by DMH15

Fruit is still free.

But that's part of what makes NCL more of a nickel and dime line than other lines. Other lines don't charge gratuities on the UBP, and they certainly don't do it when offering the UBP free as a booking promotion.

In December no fruit plates were offered for the free room service in the mornings.

I won't disagree with that. Doing so would be odd, as I've basically said the same thing a couple of times on this thread today.

I believe when this program started Jan or Feb 2014 there were no grats attached to the UBP or UDP, of which UDP has morphed into SPD.

My point though was that gratuities have been paid on drinks for many years and barstaff weren't included in the DSC, unlike restaurant staff.

The UBP actually started in early 2013. I cant remember whether gratuities were charged on it from the start, but if not then they probably should have been as they are charged on the individual drinks.

Perhaps more of a change is that the cost of the package back in 2013 was less than $50.

In December no fruit plates were offered for the free room service in the mornings.

Gotcha. It must have changed since then because last week on Escape, there was both mixed fruit and fruit compote on the free menu.

I look at the room service topic differently. While some may view paying $7.95 total for a room service order something they'd get for "free" on another cruise line, I like to look at overall price. So, if I get room service 4 mornings and get charged $32 essentially for something I'd get for "free" on RCCL, I like to look at the total cost to see if its really "free."

During my 2017 spring break planning for instance, I found a week on the Escape for 4 people in a large balcony (with beverage and dining package for first 2) to come to just over $4,000. Similar set up on Harmony of the Seas (large balcony) would cost me more than $6,000. And no beverage package, so add that on too. Suddenly room service on RCCL isn't so "free." And that's true even if you add all the other "nickel and diming" in, by far. I'll pay the $32bucks extra.

Gotcha. It must have changed since then because last week on Escape, there was both mixed fruit and fruit compote on the free menu.

Perhaps the Escape has a different room service menu, as fruit was also in the free breakfast items at launch

When we purchased the UBP in January, 2014, we did pay gratuities on the price of the package. I believe it's been that way since it's inception (for purchased packages). You are correct, though, that there was a time when there were no gratuities charged on purchased UDPs.

We really don't know how these are split or allocated to staff, but we do know that the servers and staff that work in the specialties often work in complimentary restaurants during the day. I've had omelets made at breakfast in the buffet by Teppanyaki chefs, and I've had my dishes cleared in the buffet by my Le Bistro server. So that would mean that they are at least somehow included in the DSC, I'd assume.

I can't say we've done a lot of cruises but we've done a few. So here's how I look at it. When pricing out a cruise we've noticed that the two least expensive lines tend to be NCL and Carnival. Do they charge you for things that say RCCL or Celebrity don't? I have no idea. And if they do, when you pay those prices is it STILL cheaper than the other lines? Again, I don't know. You'd have to do a cost analysis to see if that's the case. In my case, I'm always looking for best bang for the buck. We don't usually buy a lot of extras, and when we figure out the price of our cruise we figure it ALL in. I think those who feel they are nickel and dimed don't do their homework pre-cruise. Know what to expect when you cruise. I don't think CCL was any worse or better than NCL when we took our first cruise on them last summer. We got the bev package on our Dawn cruise this summer as our free perk, but we don't drink much so I don't think the SC will kill us. Plus I look at it this way. This cruise is costing us (pre-cruise) about $3500. If the wife and I get 6 drinks a day at about $10 a drink, that's about $8.40 a day. Multiply that by 7 and you have about $60 in SC (ON A $3500 cruise!!). I think if $60 is a deal breaker, then maybe a cruise isn't for you. You can do a whole cruise without paying a single dime besides your fare and your gratuities. Or you can go all out. It's about expectations. And you need to set them ahead of time.

My point though was that gratuities have been paid on drinks for many years and barstaff weren't included in the DSC, unlike restaurant staff.

The UBP actually started in early 2013. I cant remember whether gratuities were charged on it from the start, but if not then they probably should have been as they are charged on the individual drinks.

Perhaps more of a change is that the cost of the package back in 2013 was less than $50.

We paid for it when it first came out, and had to pay for gratuities on the package.

I have not read this entire thread, but putting in my 2 cents....

I recently cancelled my NCL cruise and rebooked with RCL.

I felt they were doing sur-charge overkill.

Want to watch an evening show that is of some better quality? $30 per person

Want room service? $8

Want to go to a nicer and less busy deck to lay in the sun? $65 (?)

Way too many surcharge restaurants in my opinion.

I have been spoiled by Disney in the past - pay one price, get everything, even pop! We would pay $20 or something for Palo brunch surcharge, but I could leave that ship with only tips on my end bill if I wanted, and do and see everything. Yes, the outset of the cost was more, and in the end if I added up all the NCL charges, it came out about the same as Disney.

Re-booked on RCL Harmony of the Seas, paid $800 less than NCL for the same balcony type stateroom. Tons of dining choices that don't cost extra, and all entertainment is included. Plus I think the Harmony looks WAY more fun than the Escape I was booked on. Much more to do it seems.

Happy with my decision - not a fan of all the charges from NCL!

When we purchased the UBP in January, 2014, we did pay gratuities on the price of the package. I believe it's been that way since it's inception (for purchased packages). You are correct, though, that there was a time when there were no gratuities charged on purchased UDPs.

Ok, ok. My memory a little fuzzy. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm glad to hear that! I missed my fruit plate in the mornings.

I've been doing a lot of research this last week and have my cruise options for next mid-March down to a Carnival Magic eastern and the NCL Getaway western. I am leaning to Carnival due to itinerary and price' date=' but am still intrigued with NCL because the food looks better (we would get 3 signature dining meals included as part of the current promotion), a Broadway show I would like to see, and Carnival's party reputation, although we would on a 7 night cruise which is supposed to be less wild. We will be 53, no kids on this trip, and we don't gamble, and don't drink much, although we aren't going to be going to bed at 10 or anything.

What is also turning me away from NCL is all the talk on the boards about "nickel and diming" and things that cost money now that didn't before (i.e. room service). Those of you who have cruised NCL before seem to have strong opinions about it. I have only cruised 3 times, and all on DCL, so that is my reference, so I know the service will suffer either way, but does anyone want to give me a reason to keep NCL in consideration?[/quote']

Based only on what you wrote and my experiences, I'd go Carnival.

I've been on Carnival and NCL in the past 9 months. Been on a few Carnival over the past few years. Carnival's party reputation is way over blown. I don't even think about that any more when I make my decisions.

The Carnival food is better, in my experience.

However - either way, I am sure you will have a great time. So maybe don't overthink it and just go with your gut?

I felt they were doing sur-charge overkill.

Want to watch an evening show that is of some better quality? $30 per person

Want room service? $8

Want to go to a nicer and less busy deck to lay in the sun? $65 (?)

Way too many surcharge restaurants in my opinion.

I have been spoiled by Disney in the past - pay one price' date=' get everything, even pop! We would pay $20 or something for Palo brunch surcharge, but I could leave that ship with only tips on my end bill if I wanted, and do and see everything. Yes, the outset of the cost was more, and in the end if I added up all the NCL charges, it came out about the same as Disney.

[/quote']

We cruise Disney too, and their cruise prices are about 50% higher than NCL for the same itinerary. Hundreds more, at a minimum. For us, and only us, as we are truly unique in the world (at least on this board), the surcharges never touch our wallet. We don't drink soda, don't do room service, etc. We like the variety of NCL free dining options combined with Freestyle dining so we aren't eating at a designated time at a designated table in a designated restaurant. But on Disney at least we get to rotate between their restaurants so that's a plus for fixed dining.

BTW - the only extra cost shows on NCL that I'm aware of are on the larger ships, Epic and the -Away ships, in their dinner show venue. Not the regular theater or the huge Broadway / Vegas style theaters. Big production shows like Blue Man Group that we saw three times on the Epic, etc., are complementary. None of the Jewel class ships have extra cost shows except for "murder mystery luncheons" and those kinds of things (they also don't have the big production shows either). Entertainment is pretty good on NCL, with live music in many lounges, and the shows are pretty good too. Disney has really great shows, but they are all-Disney, all-the-time, so I get tired of them by the end of the week.

Palo price increased on Disney to $30 each for dinner or lunch, while Remy's went up to RCL-like pricing for a specialty: $85 for dinner and $55 for brunch. This happened this month. RCL raised the price recently in it's Chop's steakhouse to $39 per person, with optional add-ons like Maine Lobster at $21 and dry aged steak for $18 - $19 additional.

No. As someone new to cruising, or relatively new, no. NCL was the cheapest of any cruise line other than Carnival (in many but not all instances) AFTER paying all the nickels and dimes, by far. And you get what you pay for. In my estimation, NCL is by far the best value in terms of quality for what you pay. I'm not sure how they do it. Why they aren't as much as RCCL for instance?

NCL offers us the best value in suites as well. Same week in September-RCCL 5 days on Grandeur in an OS And our 7 nights NCL in Aft Penthouse Getaway suite are the same price for us. With NCL we have the 4 bonuses, 300 OBC . On RCCL there is a free cocktail hour in the concierge lounge. We are diamond so would get free cocktail hour without the suite, but it is only for 3 hours.

July cruise- Royals RFS is larger but 3k more for our family of 5 on Freedom vs smaller but similar Haven 2 br suite.

I am sad that Falmingo grill is leaving Getaway. But I have not felt nickeled and dimes on any cruise I have taken on any line.

With 3 starting college in the next Couple of years we probably won't be cruising ..but I am happy that our last-booked cruise will on NCL.

I think my comments have been slightly misconstrued by some and they were coming from a point of lacking previous experience with NCL in the first place.

I do NOT object to NCL charging for anything. They could charge for use of the gangway or the air you breathe if they like, as long as you are told before you book. This way you can make an informed decision on which cruise line to choose. Again, I had misconceptions on what was included in the complimentary room service breakfast prior to the introduction of a charge (we booked before the charge was in place) and as such I, incorrectly, climbed upon my high horse and moaned like a drain about it. It appears that everything that was included in the fare when I booked was still included in the fare.

I too look at the overall cost of a cruise to me for my own personal circumstances rather than the separate charges added to my base fare. I still consider my upcoming cruise as excellent value (assuming the experience isn't dreadful) and I can and will avoid most of the add-on charges. As a UK booked cruiser the UBP is genuinely free, I'm not sure we will do great justice to it as we aren't great drinkers but I can't moan at the price I've paid for it! In addition to that, my daughter sailed for £100! Can't knock it.

Whilst my point was aimed initially at NCL it is still something that I would hold against any cruise line should they ever do it and that is to charge a payment for anything that they advertised as included in the fare when I booked. As it turns out NCL haven't done this, so that's fine.

The other point though, which is true of NCL and also for RCCL is the increase in prices for the add-ons. Inflation is one thing but between booking our last cruise with RCCL and actually cruising the drinks had increased by 50% in price. 50%!! That's Weimar Republic style inflation. I believe that NCL's prices for dining and drinks have also increased significantly but as I don't plan to use the speciality dining venues and I have UBP it won't actually affect me. Still a bit off though and makes it difficult to do comparisons 12 or more months ahead of sailing.

I hope this is fairly coherent. I foolishly stayed up last night to watch the NFL Draft and am a little tired this morning!

I think my comments have been slightly misconstrued by some and they were coming from a point of lacking previous experience with NCL in the first place.

I do NOT object to NCL charging for anything. They could charge for use of the gangway or the air you breathe if they like, as long as you are told before you book. This way you can make an informed decision on which cruise line to choose. Again, I had misconceptions on what was included in the complimentary room service breakfast prior to the introduction of a charge (we booked before the charge was in place) and as such I, incorrectly, climbed upon my high horse and moaned like a drain about it. It appears that everything that was included in the fare when I booked was still included in the fare.

I too look at the overall cost of a cruise to me for my own personal circumstances rather than the separate charges added to my base fare. I still consider my upcoming cruise as excellent value (assuming the experience isn't dreadful) and I can and will avoid most of the add-on charges. As a UK booked cruiser the UBP is genuinely free, I'm not sure we will do great justice to it as we aren't great drinkers but I can't moan at the price I've paid for it! In addition to that, my daughter sailed for £100! Can't knock it.

Whilst my point was aimed initially at NCL it is still something that I would hold against any cruise line should they ever do it and that is to charge a payment for anything that they advertised as included in the fare when I booked. As it turns out NCL haven't done this, so that's fine.

The other point though, which is true of NCL and also for RCCL is the increase in prices for the add-ons. Inflation is one thing but between booking our last cruise with RCCL and actually cruising the drinks had increased by 50% in price. 50%!! That's Weimar Republic style inflation. I believe that NCL's prices for dining and drinks have also increased significantly but as I don't plan to use the speciality dining venues and I have UBP it won't actually affect me. Still a bit off though and makes it difficult to do comparisons 12 or more months ahead of sailing.

I hope this is fairly coherent. I foolishly stayed up last night to watch the NFL Draft and am a little tired this morning!

Sorry, but Weimar Republic style inflation is bring your wheelbarrow with prices going up every 20 minutes. However, 50 % inflation is not good (more like Argentina).

Price increases for cruises have been a factor in these past 6 years, since we have cruised. I think most of the price increases have taken place in conjunction with the cruise lines widely offering the promos like drinks packages, etc. Inflation in the USA has been very low, especially with the price of fuel dropping. The increase in value of the US dollar, for sure has been a factor for many of our Canadian, UK and Australian friends.

Sorry, but Weimar Republic style inflation is bring your wheelbarrow with prices going up every 20 minutes. However, 50 % inflation is not good (more like Argentina).

Price increases for cruises have been a factor in these past 6 years, since we have cruised. I think most of the price increases have taken place in conjunction with the cruise lines widely offering the promos like drinks packages, etc. Inflation in the USA has been very low, especially with the price of fuel dropping. The increase in value of the US dollar, for sure has been a factor for many of our Canadian, UK and Australian friends.

Indeed, I used the Weimar Republic as deliberate exaggeration. Never one to miss the chance to use hyperbole!

I take your point regarding the strength of the dollar and its affect on cruise prices but that doesn't cover the prices of extras as they are charged in USD anyway and it is their USD cost (not including conversion rates) that have gone up waaaayy more than inflation in most civilised countries (and even some uncivilised ones!).