Does Celebrity offer a Self Disembarkation "Walk Off" option ?

bugsy43

We are sailing the Summit to Bermuda in July and I can't recall of Celebrity offers an early self disembarkation where you carry your own bags off the ship and get off early. We have a 12:05pm flight from Newark and want to get off as soon as possible so we don't feel rushed to catch our flight.

Also, it's been a few years since I sailed from Cape Liberty. Is the new terminal done? Can you just walk onto the ship instead of those horrible buses they used to have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

We are sailing the Summit to Bermuda in July and I can't recall of Celebrity offers an early self disembarkation where you carry your own bags off the ship and get off early. We have a 12:05pm flight from Newark and want to get off as soon as possible so we don't feel rushed to catch our flight.

Also, it's been a few years since I sailed from Cape Liberty. Is the new terminal done? Can you just walk onto the ship instead of those horrible buses they used to have.

Yes they offer self disembarkation.

Self disembarkation is very easy especially with the new terminal. It starts fairly early. There are no more busses to take from the ship to the terminal, it is a real pleasure.

As opposed to what? Getting tossed overboard by crew?

As opposed to the standard procedure done by the majority of the passengers [emoji57]

We've done it many times in Ft. Lauderdale when we have a 10:15 a.m. nonstop flight back home.

You don't put your luggage out the night before and you have to handle it all yourself. They'll give you a time to report down to whatever location/deck.

The key is to IGNORE that time. Go down about 45 minutes earlier and put your luggage in line as a place keeper. That's what people do. We usually go in tandem - one stays with luggage and the other grabs a quick muffin or something. Or we just wait and get something once we're checked in at the airport. Eating something is not high on our agenda on those days.

Drag/haul/carry it all off when the time comes. We have literally been the 3rd and 4th person off the ship and in the airport by 8 a.m. Of course FLL is close to the port. I have no idea about the port/airport distances you need.

You may qualify for luggage valet which puts your luggage at your final destination airport. That means all you need to do is handle your carry-on stuff.

However, it's not too bad if you're not mobility-challenged. We have taken two large suitcases, a golf clubs case, and 3 carry-ons with just the two of us.

We also don't pre-arrange transportation. They have to wait on everyone and load and unload at all the airlines. We just grab the first taxi we find. When you're among the first out there are tons of them.

We do this all the time. I don't like parting with my suitcases the night before. Invariably, something gets packed that you need the next AM, and yes, one time it was my seapass card in a pocket of a skirt that was in the suitcase taken the night before.

Just last week, we were on the train going home by 8AM. Immigration was a breeze and we hardly stopped walking from the time we left the ship.

Celebrity Cruises guests who are eager to depart the ship early can take advantage of Express Departure, an option that allows them to carry their own luggage off the ship rather than claim it in the terminal after disembarking.

To use Express Departure, guests who are able to carry their own luggage simply keep their luggage inside their stateroom the night before departure day. The next morning, these guests can depart the ship upon arrival and once the ship has received clearance from the local authorities.

We did it on The Equinox in March. It was easy and we were off the ship and at the airport in Ft Lauderdale, in 1 1/2 hrs! Had a 10:15 flight and we were there with 45 minutes to spare!

Ok I have the opposite question...does anyone know when the earliest we can get off doing the normal procedure...putting bags out night before and claiming in the terminal. I booked a flight for 12:15pm out of EWR and the summit arrives in Cape Liberty. Looking to try to make a 9 am shuttle offered from our hotel to the airport...is this doable using the normal procedure or do we have to do express walk off? We are on deck 2 and read that deck 4 is used for disembarkation in Cape Liberty...can anyone confirm?

Ok I have the opposite question...does anyone know when the earliest we can get off doing the normal procedure...putting bags out night before and claiming in the terminal. I booked a flight for 12:15pm out of EWR and the summit arrives in Cape Liberty. Looking to try to make a 9 am shuttle offered from our hotel to the airport...is this doable using the normal procedure or do we have to do express walk off? We are on deck 2 and read that deck 4 is used for disembarkation in Cape Liberty...can anyone confirm?

The deck doesn't matter.

And what you haven't told us is your arrival time. And how far from the dock to the hotel to get the shuttle.

You will probably be fine, but for me it's too tight, but I'd prefer to sit and wait than stress about being late.

Self disembark is fine, time frame is too tight for my tastes, but you will probably be fine.

But I'd rather wait than stress about being late.

Yeah I prefer the stress free route, but i screwed up and booked that 12:15 flight thinking i had been told earliest flight was noon, when in fact it is 1pm..

No the hotel shuttle is meeting us at the dock and taking us straight to airport. I am asking only because i cant carry the luggage up or down stairs...figured if we were on deck 2 and we disembark deck 4 we could do small trips and still be able to see the bags on the stairs as we went up a little at a time for only the 2 decks vs multiple decks. Last time we did express the elevators were useless and always full. So am curious what the earliest time off would be if we did the standard procedure of claiming the bags in the terminal vs hauling ourselves.

We got our bags and walked right through. Lots of lanes open, no Waite.

oh that is fabulous news...ok I am starting to feel better about my goof up with booking the flight. will ask for the first off without having to haul our own bags..thank you so much