All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We use a card called Revolut. It is a debit card that you can load from your bank account and purchase many different currencies within the card. Then, when you spend in one of the countries, it automatically debits your balance held in that country. I don't know if it's available to North Americans but there must be an equivalent available to you. We just returned from a 12 day trip which covered Czech Republic, Germany, Austria, Slovakia  and Hungary. For all of these, we used card payments widely except for Prague where we stayed for 4 days and drew out a small amount of cash for toilets etc. Any remaining cash, we used for part payment of a final meal in Prague. We never needed cash in Slovakia  Germany, Austria or Hungary but if toilet is needed, there's always a McD's or any bar for the price of a coffee. Using non-local currency such as Euro or USD will get you a bad exchange rate. Ken 

Edited by CruiseIreland

5 hours ago, marksind said:

We are cruising on the Avalon View from the Black Sea (Romania) to Vilshofen, Germany, 17 nights embarking October 14th.  The cruise goes through Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria and Germany.  We're excited to do this cruise as it seems likely to be more exotic than the Amsterdam-Budapest route.  However, the multitude of currencies that are not useable outside the host countries makes planning complicated.  Anyone done this route?  If so, how did you manage transactions?  Even using credit cards it seems some cash might be good to have on hand.  Thanks for any advice.  

We have done that route twice... it is interesting.  We had Romanian Lei as we spent a few days ahead of our cruise and  also did the Transylvania pre-tour extension.  Other than that, we really didn't worry about currency until we hit Hungary - where we were staying an extra couple of days.  Most places take credit cards.  One place wanted cash (I was buying a pottery bowl) so I asked about an ATM and went and withdrew just enough cash to make my purchase. 

Once you get to Hungary you can always use Euros - although the exchange isn't as good as using Forints. 

ATMs are plentiful and easy to find.  If unsure, the guide can direct you.

Enjoy your trip!!  We had Eastern Europe booked twice with Avalon and it was cancelled (once for low water, the 2nd time for Covid...) We ended up booking with Scenic this last time as they had a better sale.  I really like Avalon's itinerary... Would have booked with them a 3rd time if the price hadn't jumped so much!!

Fran

Edited by franski
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes.  Those are exactly the items I brought on my cruise, as well as my sister.  When we boarded they took our bags and carry-ons while we had lunch.  When they showed us to our room they insisted on carrying our totes and raincoats.  It was a very refined embarkation.  Enjoy!

Thanks, Miss G……I appreciate your comments.   

• Like 1

I have a couple of questions along the lines of "Is Avalon right for me?"

I've only been on Vantage and Gate 1 and enjoyed them both. They were comfortable and casual. Am I correct in thinking that Avalon is a little dressier? How much? I know how to look neat and tidy (sometimes), but I also like to pack light.  Also, I'm a solo traveler. Will dinner be awkward, with me throwing off the symmetry of the table? I saw there's a bistro and I would be fine with that.

I'm researching a particular sailing because of the itinerary and because they offer biking and hiking excursions. They also advertise this as a wine tour where there will be a wine master on board. I'm not a wine drinker. I know I'm free to do what I want, but will it be considered rude if I skip most of the wine-related activities?

Thanks for any input.

SnowShoe Cat - I wouldn’t classify Avalon as dressy. I think smart casual may be a good description. I have taken 2 Avalon cruises as a solo. Because Avalon often waives the single supplement, it is not unusual to have quite a few singles. Meals were never awkward as I was always able to sit with others that I had met during the cruise. It helps if you are somewhat outgoing, but I’ve always seen that singles are welcomed to join others. 

You can always do as you please and no one will mind if you join or not. On my Tulip time cruise, we had a Dutch cheese tasting and I think only about half of the passengers attended. 

I love Avalon and have done 3 cruises with them. If you try them, I think you will really enjoy. 

Avalon isn't dressy, as long as you are dressed neatly you will be OK. They do *request* that shorts are not worn for dinner, but I'm sure if it's hot, that suggestion goes out the window. Many people get back late from excursions, so they don't have much time to shower & change. I usually get some light tops that are light, and pack a sweater to wear over just in case the dining room is cool. I'll pair them with capris. My husband will wear a golf shirt and some slacks - nothing fancy.

As for solo travel, most tables accommodate more than 2, so just ask if anyone is sitting in an empty spot and join in. Most travelers are more than happy to include others.  There will probably be more than you as a solo traveler, so don't worry.

It's not rude to skip activities, usually there are several going on at once, so you can easily join in another one. Or you can find the same tour that isn't "wine specific".  You can always sit up on the top deck when they have the wine-master talks if you are onboard.

Avalon's slogan used to be that they would rather see smiles on their guests faces than white gloves on their staff...and they live up to that. Go ahead and plan, you will probably enjoy it!

• Like 1

Thank you for the reassuring words. The waived solo supplement is available on the sailing I'm looking at (it's on a courtesy hold for two more hours). I wouldn't wear shorts at dinner, and the only reason I wore sneakers on my last cruise was because my shoes fell apart! They were in the closet all winter and I just tossed them in my suitcase without checking them. Then when I was walking around the cobblestones of France, the soles just crumbled. The sneakers were black, and hardly noticeable (and nobody cared, anyway).

I know the activities are optional. I just had images of me returning to the ship, possibly waterlogged from bike riding in the rain, stumbling into the lounge for tea, and facing a whole bunch of neatly ironed folks sniffing and swirling their wine glasses 😄 

Actually, this is a good excuse to go buy a new top or two!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SnowshoeCat said:

I just had images of me returning to the ship, possibly waterlogged from bike riding in the rain, stumbling into the lounge for tea, and facing a whole bunch of neatly ironed folks sniffing and swirling their wine glasses 😄 

That's actually what happened to DW and me on our visit to the Lake District of England (many years ago BC – before children).  The first day we went out hiking, got caught in a sudden downpour and hunkered down behind a drystone wall with the sheep, and straggled back to our very nice country house hotel just before Tea was ending.  So we had no choice but to tromp into the tea area looking like drowned rats – and many eyebrows were (discreetly) raised.  But once we showered and dressed for dinner, the eyebrows came down again and we were welcomed as intrepid hikers and civilized (for Americans anyway) fellow guests.  One reason I love the English is that they love eccentrics...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's actually what happened to DW and me on our visit to the Lake District of England (many years ago BC – before children).  The first day we went out hiking, got caught in a sudden downpour and hunkered down behind a drystone wall with the sheep, and straggled back to our very nice country house hotel just before Tea was ending.  So we had no choice but to tromp into the tea area looking like drowned rats – and many eyebrows were (discreetly) raised.  But once we showered and dressed for dinner, the eyebrows came down again and we were welcomed as intrepid hikers and civilized (for Americans anyway) fellow guests.  One reason I love the English is that they love eccentrics...

Interesting! I've done many hiking/walking trips in England, and I think that's what I was thinking of when I made my post. I don't think I've seen too many raised eyebrows, maybe because I'm usually in a group. So many places are used to walkers. I have a picture somewhere of a sign outside a tea room saying "Dogs and muddy boots welcome!" I love their network of public footpaths. Cheers!

• Like 1

Ta all, look under any stone across the U.K. and up pops what any non Britisher would call an eccentric.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb0e85abcaa81efbf176a305676ca453.jpeg

So what are there intrepid explorers up to with this enormous stone near The Bridge of Gairn in Aberdeenshire, there are a few sheep around but that’s it.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SnowshoeCat said:

I know the activities are optional. I just had images of me returning to the ship, possibly waterlogged from bike riding in the rain, stumbling into the lounge for tea, and facing a whole bunch of neatly ironed folks sniffing and swirling their wine glasses 😄 

You can just join in with the rest of the waterlogged bikers...then raise your eyes at everyone else! 🙂

Actually, as a warning, we always try to be off ship for the 4:00 tea time. It's very dangerous, and I think if we indulged to much we wouldn't fit into our clothes for the flight home. 🙂

46 minutes ago, Daisi said:

You can just join in with the rest of the waterlogged bikers...then raise your eyes at everyone else! 🙂

Actually, as a warning, we always try to be off ship for the 4:00 tea time. It's very dangerous, and I think if we indulged to much we wouldn't fit into our clothes for the flight home. 🙂

Too funny.   Great advice about avoiding indulging at tea time!   We leave next Thursday to Prague and start our Avalon Envision Active and Discovery with 2 nights Prague on the 10th.   5 of us in single cabins.  Only one booked the biking options (twice).   Loaded up with lots of included excursions to wear us out.   We also added 2 additional nights in Prague before we join the Avalon tour.

24 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I think we are on the sailing after you, we get on the Envision in Budapest on the 19th.  Take care of the crew & ship for us. 🙂

Yup....we disembark on the 19th.   I will let the pastry chef know to load up with goodies for tea time before we leave 🤣.   Now if the water levels hold steady for us....and you!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Now this is my other concern. The info says dinner isn't until 7:30. I can't wait that long. I'm going to need that 4pm sustenance.

Don't worry, there's the back lounge that is great for coffee & a snack. We don't normally eat lunch, but find that with the buffet breakfast & lunch, we get more than enough to last until dinner...and we eat early. 🙂

10 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Ta all, look under any stone across the U.K. and up pops what any non Britisher would call an eccentric.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb0e85abcaa81efbf176a305676ca453.jpeg

So what are there intrepid explorers up to with this enormous stone near The Bridge of Gairn in Aberdeenshire, there are a few sheep around but that’s it.

Actually in any glaciated area in the US, that stone would be called an eccentric!