All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We've taken two cruises recently with Avalon and loved every minute of our time aboard.  They do a truly wonderful job.  The food is excellent, the service exquisite and the atmosphere is SO PLEASANT.  We made many good friends.  We're signed-up for a third cruise with Avalon in May on the Moselle.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

We've taken two cruises recently with Avalon and loved every minute of our time aboard.  They do a truly wonderful job.  The food is excellent, the service exquisite and the atmosphere is SO PLEASANT.  We made many good friends.  We're signed-up for a third cruise with Avalon in May on the Moselle.

We are also 2x Avalon cruisers, and are doing the Moselle May 2025. I hope you can report back how your cruise went.

We chose Avalon because of the connection to Globus. My Grandparents and good friends of the family had done several tours with Globus and loved them. At the time of our first cruise, Avalon had a slogan that they would "rather see smiles on the guests faces than white gloves on their staff", and boy, did they live up to that. What really impressed me was the number of family members that were staff - we had twin brothers as cabin attendants for our deck, a sister and brother as server/sommelier, an pair of cousins as ship crew (we had great laughs with them while they were throwing ropes at each other during docking and talking about the practice they got growing up 🙂), as well as a newly engaged couple. If you could get that many on one ship, they had to be good with their staff!

On the other hand, our Sister & Brother-in-Law love Viking...but they are ones who travel different from us, and once they have been to one place, they've seen it. We like to have more chances to explore, which Avalon gives us. Our upcoming cruise will duplicate some places, but there are different tours we can do and see more things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

upcoming cruise will duplicate some places, but there are different tours we can do and see more things.

We’ve done five Avalons (so far). Except for the Moselle, we have duplicated the Rhine and the Danube rivers a minimum of twice for some sections and three or four times for others. 
We don’t care! We just love river cruising. On our last cruise: Budapest to Amsterdam, we frequently skipped the morning excursions, slept late, had a late breakfast, then went ashore and explored parts of town we hadn’t seen before because it’s not included in the tours. Or we sign up for an excursion that we haven’t done previously. Avalon offers so much variety! 
Sometimes, the ship repositions up (or down) river while everyone is off on excursions. We like to stay on board and relax while we cruise- having the whole ship to ourselves. 

There are many cruises that overlap a little with other cruises. That should never deter one from booking it! 

Cheers! 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Kenster said:

We’ve done five Avalons (so far). Except for the Moselle, we have duplicated the Rhine and the Danube rivers a minimum of twice for some sections and three or four times for others. 
We don’t care! We just love river cruising. On our last cruise: Budapest to Amsterdam, we frequently skipped the morning excursions, slept late, had a late breakfast, then went ashore and explored parts of town we hadn’t seen before because it’s not included in the tours. Or we sign up for an excursion that we haven’t done previously. Avalon offers so much variety! 
Sometimes, the ship repositions up (or down) river while everyone is off on excursions. We like to stay on board and relax while we cruise- having the whole ship to ourselves. 

There are many cruises that overlap a little with other cruises. That should never deter one from booking it! 

Cheers! 

We FULLY AGREE with your river cruising philosophy.  On our first river cruise we did both the morning and afternoon excursions each of the seven days.  Although we truly enjoyed the excursions, we were exhausted by the end of our week aboard.  On our second cruise we took a much more relaxed approach, and only went on the excursions that truly interested us.  A few mornings we just wandered around on our own and loved that!  We remained aboard the ship one morning when most guests took an excursion while the ship re-positioned downriver in their absence.  We remained aboard and loved it.  It was like having our own 445' yacht, complete with crew!  LOL!!

On our first two cruises we immediately signed up for excursions as they became available at the 90-day-to-go point.  On our upcoming cruise this May we're going to just go with the flow each day predicated upon what the cruise director suggests each evening during his/her briefing for the following day's events.  If there are still seats/availability...fine.  If not, fine as well.  We can always take the ship's very nice bicycles out for a pleasant ride!

Edited by moonriver54
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, aaerobear said:

just one simple question.  What time can you board the boat?  Avalon Budapest to Prague April 4th 2024

Whenever you like.  They will store your luggage until your cabin is ready, but you can sit in the lounge (and have lunch) or you can leave the ship to sightsee.  [Tip: you will meet departing passengers in the lounge – this is a great opportunity to ask about their experience.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aaerobear said:

just one simple question.  What time can you board the boat?  Avalon Budapest to Prague April 4th 2024

Check the schedule of the cruise that will be arriving for you.  Probably an hour after their disembarkation time, you should be able to drop your luggage at Reception on the ship.  

On the last day, can you stay on the boat until your transfer to the airport comes? We've booked a package including airport transfers and flights. Our flight isn't until nearly 7pm on the last day, so hoping we can make use of the boat until transfer time.

1 hour ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

On the last day, can you stay on the boat until your transfer to the airport comes? We've booked a package including airport transfers and flights. Our flight isn't until nearly 7pm on the last day, so hoping we can make use of the boat until transfer time.

Run it by the reception desk but you should be fine hanging around until early afternoon.  You’ll have to be out of your cabin by 9 AM.  You can sit with your bags in the lounge. Just stay out of the way of the staff and crew and incoming passengers. 

But, if I were you, I’d ask to leave the bags with reception and go out and explore a little bit.  Then, depart the ship in plenty of time to travel to the airport and check in. 

Curious why you booked a flight so late in the day if you’re just going to kill time on the ship until your transfer time? 

Edited by Kenster
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kenster said:

Run it by the reception desk but you should be fine hanging around until early afternoon.  You’ll have to be out of your cabin by 9 AM.  You can sit with your bags in the lounge. Just stay out of the way of the staff and crew and incoming passengers. 

But, if I were you, I’d ask to leave the bags with reception and go out and explore a little bit.  Then, depart the ship in plenty of time to travel to the airport and check in. 

Curious why you booked a flight so late in the day if you’re just going to kill time on the ship until your transfer time? 

We didn't pick the time, it was a package deal we booked (very well priced) so the flights were included and there was no choice on time. The time isn't ideal, but hopefully if we can explore and use the lounge area, then that will be ideal.

16 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

We didn't pick the time, it was a package deal we booked (very well priced) so the flights were included and there was no choice on time. The time isn't ideal, but hopefully if we can explore and use the lounge area, then that will be ideal.

I’m confident it won’t be an issue with the ship.  You can also talk to the CD about getting an earlier transfer. You might prefer getting through the airport earlier over just sitting around the ship. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

If you booked with Avalon, you can request if there is better timed flights. They are very good at meeting clients needs. My TA and I look at what flights / layovers / routes I want, and then she calls Avalon to see if they will match. So far, no problem and they have done so. 

Never hurts to try to get better flights....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Daisi said:

If you booked with Avalon, you can request if there is better timed flights. They are very good at meeting clients needs. My TA and I look at what flights / layovers / routes I want, and then she calls Avalon to see if they will match. So far, no problem and they have done so. 

Never hurts to try to get better flights....

It was booked by a TA, and I suspect the flights are a group travel agent booking so can't be changed.

I don't mind the evening flight, we can go off and explore Vilshofen a bit, and hopefully grab some lunch onboard (gluten free, so suspect it will be easier on the boat as I don't think there are many suitable places in Vilshofen from the quick look I've done). It's only a couple of hours flight back home, so be nice to make the most of the last day.

1 minute ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

It was booked by a TA, and I suspect the flights are a group travel agent booking so can't be changed.

I don't mind the evening flight, we can go off and explore Vilshofen a bit, and hopefully grab some lunch onboard (gluten free, so suspect it will be easier on the boat as I don't think there are many suitable places in Vilshofen from the quick look I've done). It's only a couple of hours flight back home, so be nice to make the most of the last day.

The only thing that will be available for lunch on the ship is soup and sandwich in the lounge.  Maybe basic salad stuff.  I know a light lunch is available for early arrivals on boarding day. I assume it would be available to departing passengers who are lingering. 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kenster said:

The only thing that will be available for lunch on the ship is soup and sandwich in the lounge.  Maybe basic salad stuff.  I know a light lunch is available for early arrivals on boarding day. I assume it would be available to departing passengers who are lingering. 🙂

We'd be more than happy with that. Will definitely have a chat with them onboard to check we can come and go and grab some safe food (obviously will be chatting with the chef when we board to discuss the dietary stuff, so they'll know us well by the last day!).

We arrived on the ship for both cruises early, around lunch time. If you are worried about cross contamination I would ask someone at the reception if the chef could prepare a salad or soup for you. The food is laid out buffet style, so tongs & spoons could be used for other things. You may have to wait a bit, but I'm sure they will do their best to help.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 7:21 AM, Ladyshopper23 said:

Maybe yes, or maybe no...  Sometimes Avalon books a "host hotel" - and passengers may be transferred there before and/or after the cruise while the ship is being cleaned.  If they do this, they usually have a large room with refreshments, and store your luggage on site. 

Fran 

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:21 AM, Ladyshopper23 said:

If Avalon has given you a later transfer time to the airport then the ship will be available to you until then.  Here was our embarkation (disembarkation for those leaving the ship) lunch menu.  If you can read the fine print, “d” marks the items which have gluten in them.  You will see those symbols for each dish so you can make informed choices.

IMG_1319.thumb.jpeg.20a40295f517c0d57b4aeac6c6f70d94.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, scottie920 said:

Can anyone advise what the current corkage fee is for a bottle of champagne/wine to drink in restaurant or lounge. Thank you.

I’ve never heard or seen a corkage fee mentioned. But the provided wines are so outstanding (and vary every night reflecting the region through which you’re sailing) I don’t know why anyone would want to BYOB. 

There are no low end house wines like Viking serves. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenster said:

I’ve never heard or seen a corkage fee mentioned. But the provided wines are so outstanding (and vary every night reflecting the region through which you’re sailing) I don’t know why anyone would want to BYOB. 

There are no low end house wines like Viking serves. 

Sometimes special celebrations call for special champers.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@scottie920, most of the responses I got were that there was no charge to bring a bottle to the dining room, but it would be wise to quietly speak to the server prior to bringing it. One member said that the server took the bottle and brought it back for refilling the glasses. Most that have seen it said they didn't notice anyone being charged. 

As always, it's best to ask before you do so. I'm sure if it's for a special occasion, they will do what they can to help out.