All Things Avalon

FuelScience

Please tell me about the luggage restrictions on Avalon.   I usually take a checked bag and a carry on.   I like a few outfits, medication, etc in a carry on in the event that my checked bag is lost.   My carry on is the normal type with wheels.   What has your experience been with Avalon?

The only real restrictions they have is that if you are getting transfers they will move 1 suitcase, you are responsible for the rest. You can store your luggage under the bed (and if you have 2 cases each, just store the smaller one inside the larger one). You can do a preview of your cabin by going to the site and doing a virtual tour of the ship. There really isn't much room in the cabin (closet isn't *that* big) other than under the bed for storage.

2 minutes ago, Daisi said:

The only real restrictions they have is that if you are getting transfers they will move 1 suitcase, you are responsible for the rest.

Not doubting you, especially since I haven't sailed with Avalon – but several other cruise lines have similar luggage restrictions in their T&Cs and they have never been enforced.  Are you sure Avalon actually refuses to stow more than 1 bag under the bus?

Not saying they won't stow it if you have more than 1, but they can make you move it from your room to the bus. I have heard it depends on the driver. It's only the porterage that matters, so as long as AliceS is prepared, then she will be fine.

On my Tulip Time cruise earlier this year, Avalon took both my checked bag and my carry on from the hotel to the ship and into my cabin. I booked a pre-night with Avalon and had included transfer from the hotel to the ship. I had a smaller day bag that I used for the tour the day of embarkation. Avalon had no issue taking all the luggage for everyone who signed up for the pre night. My flight home entailed me leaving the ship via taxi at 4am so the cab driver came in and took my checked bag and I handled my carry on. 

As mentioned, there was plenty of room for my large suitcase under the bed. 

• Like 1

Checked bag and a carry on shouldn't be an issue unless you are talking about a rollerboard carry on and the they might look at you crazy.  We had 3 suitcases between us on one trip because of some extra stuff we had going on.  They took the extra one but they gave us a hard time.  My husband is a very big guy and his shoes alone can take up most of one side of a suitcase....and thats not bringing an excessive amount of shoes. They handled it and we were thankful...but I wouldn't push my luck agai with that.

On 6/20/2023 at 12:18 PM, AliceS said:

Please tell me about the luggage restrictions on Avalon.   I usually take a checked bag and a carry on.   I like a few outfits, medication, etc in a carry on in the event that my checked bag is lost.   My carry on is the normal type with wheels.   What has your experience been with Avalon?

A checked bag, a rollaboard and a laptop case/purse ... I've travelled with these three forever.  If we're 'moving' after 3 nights in Zagreb down to the port on a bus, for instance, I put any fragile items in a tote and stow both bags in the luggage compartment.  I remember arriving at the ship on a small-ship cruise of Croatia and all the ship's officers were waiting for us.  They grabbed our carryons and hustled them up to the lobby.  That was a lovely surprise, the 'gangway' was a little bouncy but I never had a chance to worry about it.  

• Like 1

Love the bouncy gangways etc and DH absolutely hates anything like that. Scenic crews are a bit like that grab the luggage it’s usually a case of all dive in, no time to even raise an eyebrow on weight etc., All the crew, hotel, maritime or restaurant want is to get everyone safely stowed in their respective cabins or waiting in the lounge drink in hand getting to know there fellow traveler's. Arrivals and departures are a hiccup in their weekly/biweekly routine, if they are picking up on the minutiae of small print there is a fussy manager somewhere on board so beware.

We are on an extended stay in Lake Como, a night in Lucern, then the river cruise Basel to Amsterdam and a transatlantic from Amsterdam to FLL on Holland.   The main reason for the carry on is ease of movement with the wheels and knowing that I have essentials in the event that a checked bag is lost.   There will be travel by train as part of the Avalon package.  I’ll let you know how it goes!

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Love the bouncy gangways etc and DH absolutely hates anything like that. Scenic crews are a bit like that grab the luggage it’s usually a case of all dive in, no time to even raise an eyebrow on weight etc., All the crew, hotel, maritime or restaurant want is to get everyone safely stowed in their respective cabins or waiting in the lounge drink in hand getting to know there fellow traveler's. Arrivals and departures are a hiccup in their weekly/biweekly routine, if they are picking up on the minutiae of small print there is a fussy manager somewhere on board so beware.

The ship's crew literally RAN ashore to grab our bags as we arrived at the Avalon Envision to depart on our "Danube Dreams" 8-day trip from Vilshofen to Budapest last month.  We arrived about lunch time...and we were invited to dine in the Panorama Lounge while awaiting our two rooms (two couples traveling together).  We didn't even wait an hour before the front desk staff had us checked-in and comfortably settled in our rooms.  We were VERY impressed with the amount of luggage storage space under both sides of the bed which would easily accommodate a couple of LARGE bags.

Something I really appreciated during our recent cruise was the ship's spacious 24/7 Club Lounge located astern on the Royal Deck.  I'm an early riser and enjoyed getting up and having a quiet cup of (EXCELLENT) fresh coffee while catching up on the news using the ship's FAST WiFi and my iPad, taking advantage of the spectacular early morning view.  I've attached a few photos of the Club Lounge below.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Avalon Waterways is a CLASS ACT!!  They were just excellent from start to finish!!  We can hardly wait for our Rhine River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam aboard the Avalon Vista in late September!!

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, AliceS said:

We are on an extended stay in Lake Como, a night in Lucern, then the river cruise Basel to Amsterdam and a transatlantic from Amsterdam to FLL on Holland.   The main reason for the carry on is ease of movement with the wheels and knowing that I have essentials in the event that a checked bag is lost.   There will be travel by train as part of the Avalon package.  I’ll let you know how it goes!

We are on the same cruise in October. Please come back with a review. This will be our Fifth Avalon cruise- always in an aquarium room

11 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

The ship's crew literally RAN ashore to grab our bags as we arrived at the Avalon Envision to depart on our "Danube Dreams" 8-day trip from Vilshofen to Budapest last month.  We arrived about lunch time...and we were invited to dine in the Panorama Lounge while awaiting our two rooms (two couples traveling together).  We didn't even wait an hour before the front desk staff had us checked-in and comfortably settled in our rooms.  We were VERY impressed with the amount of luggage storage space under both sides of the bed which would easily accommodate a couple of LARGE bags.

Something I really appreciated during our recent cruise was the ship's spacious 24/7 Club Lounge located astern on the Royal Deck.  I'm an early riser and enjoyed getting up and having a quiet cup of (EXCELLENT) fresh coffee while catching up on the news using the ship's FAST WiFi and my iPad, taking advantage of the spectacular early morning view.  I've attached a few photos of the Club Lounge below.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Avalon Waterways is a CLASS ACT!!  They were just excellent from start to finish!!  We can hardly wait for our Rhine River cruise from Basel to Amsterdam aboard the Avalon Vista in late September!!

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

That lounge with the coffee, cookies, whatever, 24/7 (more or less) was what really impressed me with Avalon in the first place.  We found it a huge treat to be able to trot down the hall for excellent coffee whenever we pleased.  We both want our coffee the minute we wake up in the morning, so that was heaven as well.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

That lounge with the coffee, cookies, whatever, 24/7 (more or less) was what really impressed me with Avalon in the first place.  We found it a huge treat to be able to trot down the hall for excellent coffee whenever we pleased.  We both want our coffee the minute we wake up in the morning, so that was heaven as well.  

AMEN!  Fully understand!  This allowed me to NOT disturb my wife who wanted to sleep further,,.yet I got to get up and do what I normally do at home.  I got a chuckle at the number of people in the Club Lounge quietly doing the same thing.  LOL!  Avalon totally GETS THIS.  Nicely done!

Edited by moonriver54
  • Like 1

Understand what you mean I do exactly the same on Scenic as I’m usually up and about before our butler and it saves a knock on the door to wake up DH. I can then sit on the sun deck, weather permitting, with my camera, you get to talk to the crew as well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

IMG_0011.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

Looks awesome…..we must be on the same cruise?   We come to Basel from Lucerne.

Coffee first thing in the am is a must.   No caffeine makes a girl mean.    

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AliceS said:

Looks awesome…..we must be on the same cruise?   We come to Basel from Lucerne.

Coffee first thing in the am is a must.   No caffeine makes a girl mean.    

We're on the 30 September departure from Basel.

On 6/24/2023 at 8:45 AM, moonriver54 said:

We're on the 30 September departure from Basel.

Me, too.  I’m with a couple from Canada, a couple from Florida and a friend from my town…near Pittsburgh.  We’re all doing Avalon’s add on to Como and Lucerne.

look forward to meeting you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2023 at 5:01 PM, newd cruiser said:

Thanks, first, to FuelScience for creating this "All Things Avalon" forum.

My wife and I will be traveling on the Active & Discovery On The Rhine (Northbound), departing Basel on 08, August, 2023.  Not much to say here, now, other than looking forward to meeting anyone else traveling on that cruise.

Actually, there is one thing . . . .  We will be in Koblenz the same day as a "Rhine in Flames" fireworks display that evening.  Sure would be nice if we could talk the Captain and Crew into a later departure . . .

Thanks, all.!

- ww

Hope your cruise is great and that evening in Koblenz will be special.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AliceS said:

So, I’m OK with a checked bag, a carry on and tote?   I need the carry on for personal items and a few things in the event that the checked bag is lost.     

Shouldn’t be an issue for Avalon though you’ll be expected to handle the carry-on and tote yourself as porterage is (officially) for one bag only. 

Should be okay on the airline as long as your purse is in the tote bag and not a third carry on item. This assumes you're not among the last to board a full flight and they run out of space in the overhead bins, in which case you’ll have to gate check your larger carry on and stow the tote under the seat in front of you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AliceS said:

So, I’m OK with a checked bag, a carry on and tote?   I need the carry on for personal items and a few things in the event that the checked bag is lost.     

Yes.  Those are exactly the items I brought on my cruise, as well as my sister.  When we boarded they took our bags and carry-ons while we had lunch.  When they showed us to our room they insisted on carrying our totes and raincoats.  It was a very refined embarkation.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

We are cruising on the Avalon View from the Black Sea (Romania) to Vilshofen, Germany, 17 nights embarking October 14th.  The cruise goes through Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria and Germany.  We're excited to do this cruise as it seems likely to be more exotic than the Amsterdam-Budapest route.  However, the multitude of currencies that are not useable outside the host countries makes planning complicated.  Anyone done this route?  If so, how did you manage transactions?  Even using credit cards it seems some cash might be good to have on hand.  Thanks for any advice.