Norwegian vs. Carnival Review

Getting on and off the ship - after embarkation:

So I mentioned earlier in my comparison that NCL seemed to be a little slower getting on the ship once you recieve you're card. But I also wanted to make a comparison while getting on/off at port and during debarkation.

In ports: While NCL did the standard photo ops while getting off in port; they made a big deal about you getting back on. I really wouldn't care if they didn't do anything, but since they did I thought it was worth mentioning. They made it seem like a party with loud music playing, the cruise director was in front walking on stilts and giving everyone a high five, the crew members were handing out cold mint towels to refresh which were a nice addition, they were giving out water and lemonade and the members who were cleaning the ship were really in to it and dancing to the music. It was a nice gesture.

Getting off the ship turned out to be pretty smooth, especially since I didn't have the platinum credientials that I'm used to with Carnival. Anyone who wants to get off carrying their own luggage got to get off first and they kept the line organized as it seemed like everyone was carrying off. While the line looked a mile long, it went super quick and was painless. Even the elevators were working! Advantage: NCL

Thanks for your comparison. We have not sailed longer trips on Carnival in years. The DD and I do an annual trip on the 4-day which is fine. I love Carnival's FTTF! We will most likely not ever be Platinum on Carnival so this is a wonderful add-on for those of us wanting to embark/disembark quickly. I do have to say I prefer the desserts on NCL to Carnival but what we love sweet wise to nosh on is subjective.

I wanted to go back and elaborate a little on why I give Carnival the nod on food vs. NCL. NCL has a lot of cool options but the dollars can add up quick. They also changed Margarittaville to al a carte vs. being free as it originally was and I noticed on the cruise that while I was around that deck I never saw anyone there which is a shame.

Carnival has the mongolian wok which I love!!! But they only do it on certain days and at certain times. :( And their deli has always been a favorite. I also think their pizza was better than NCL. NCL edges them out with 24hr options at O'sheehans - wings, fijitas, burgers and dogs just to name a few. They crush Carnival in that one category, but overall I think Carnival has better food minus O'sheehans and the lido deck. But you won't go wrong with either option.

When I cruise NCL, I book my fare with a specialty dining pkg for free, so when I compare the food, NCL wins out. I understand that paying as you go, nickel and diming, isn't good for the digestion. But a free dining package at a different themed restaurant every night sure beats Carnival's MDR and is a great appetite stimulant.

As you say, OSheehan's is also a nice place for lunch especially on embarkation day.

I realize not many cruisers would pick the dining option, I think most would opt for the free drinks on NCL vs doubling your cruise fare on Carnival with their Cheers pkg.

Edited by evandbob

When I cruise NCL, I book my fare with a specialty dining pkg for free, so when I compare the food, NCL wins out. I understand that paying as you go, nickel and diming, isn't good for the digestion. But a free dining package at a different themed restaurant every night sure beats Carnival's MDR and is a great appetite stimulant.

As you say, OSheehan's is also a nice place for lunch especially on embarkation day.

I realize not many cruisers would pick the dining option, I think most would opt for the free drinks on NCL vs doubling your cruise fare on Carnival with their Cheers pkg.

I concur!

Baltimore is notorious for being a horrible place to cruise from. Back in 2009 we were on a RCCL ship (Grandeur of the Seas), and we didn't dis-embark until NOON! We had docked on time, etc, but the unloading of the luggage (I think done by dockworkers in Baltimore) and immigration were so slow. So blame you issues with boarding the Carnival ship in Balto. on the Port of Baltimore, not on Carnival.

Appreciate the feedback... not laying "blame" as it were... just sharing my experience.

• 1 month later...

It would appear that either cruise line would be fine. :cool:

Last night, my mother (has only cruised once, on NCL) decided that she and my dad should go on another cruise. They would need to leave from New Orleans, so that means Carnival or NCL. My gut reaction was to put them on the same cruise line they have experienced, since they definitely are not risk-takers, but I might check out the Carnival options, too.

Decisions . . . decisions . . .

Enjoyed reading this comparison. We have sailed on CCL Liberty and NCL Getaway. I agree with most points made. For us NCL would be our first choice of the two, but I definitely give the food advantage to CCL. We also loved the Alchemy Bar and Blue Iguana for breakfast and lunch. For our next cruise we are looking at either the NCL Escape or CCL Vista.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for such a great review and the comparisons. I can only cruise during the holidays and the summer. I'm a teacher. During these times, I have always found a better deal on Carnival than on NCL. Only one time did I find a better deal on a 3 day cruise on NCL on the Sky. I found both lines very similar making a comparison on their smaller ships and 3 day cruises. The only real difference between the Imagination, Fascination, and the NCL Sky was that there is a larger variety in the buffet area during breakfast. Entertainment was the same on both ships giving Carnival a slighter edge on their production shows. This is when Carnival had the production shows.

Edited by CARNIVALCRUISE3