Effy Jewellers…Buyer beware!!!!

London09

My wife and i were on a holland america cruise in January and made a purchase of a Diamond ring in San Juan. Within two days while on the cruise a Diamond fell out. Through the help of the cruise line we were able to get details of what to do when we got home. So we get home and it is sent to New York. A few weeks later we get the ring back fixed. A couple of weeks later a diamond comes out again. Back to New York. We get it back a month later. So today on mothers day my wife notices a diamond is missing again for the third time. My wife is so upset she has put in a call to Effy and the cruise line as well as a text to the shopping representative on our cruise who we have been in contact with constantly through this ordeal. We are at our wits end. Has anyone had this problem? Should we get our money back? Even if the ring was fixed again my wife is afraid to wear it.

Thanks

My wife and i were on a holland america cruise in January and made a purchase of a Diamond ring in San Juan. Within two days while on the cruise a Diamond fell out. Through the help of the cruise line we were able to get details of what to do when we got home. So we get home and it is sent to New York. A few weeks later we get the ring back fixed. A couple of weeks later a diamond comes out again. Back to New York. We get it back a month later. So today on mothers day my wife notices a diamond is missing again for the third time. My wife is so upset she has put in a call to Effy and the cruise line as well as a text to the shopping representative on our cruise who we have been in contact with constantly through this ordeal. We are at our wits end. Has anyone had this problem? Should we get our money back? Even if the ring was fixed again my wife is afraid to wear it.

Thanks

We had the same issue many years ago when I bought my wife a gold watch at a Guarantee store. We noticed at dinner on the ship that evening it was not working. When we returned home we took it to our jewelers and found out the battery had corroded. We followed procedures and were refunded our money. Bottom line, "get your money back"! We have purchased rings over the years and upon returning home we immediately had them appraised!

I had a ring that had a similar problem, not from Effy. It repeatedly lost a stone. Once I picked it up after replacing the stone and within 12 hours the stone was gone again. If I were you, I'd do all I could to get a refund.

• Like 1

Sadly it is Buyer Beware, When you think you may go shopping for anything on your cruise, if its a watch or jewelry check out your own local jeweler first as well as check prices on line in your home country. I know it is often special to be able to say I bought this in "BLANK Port for our anniversary or birthday"....but I have always found prices at home much better as well as the quality. Sadly they know they gotcha, the chance of you coming back is slim to none.

I know it is too late after the fact, your best bet is to go to a local jeweler,and get it fixed and replaced and have all the prongs checked. Going back to Effy will just cause more frustration and time and money.

• Like 1

Sadly it is Buyer Beware, When you think you may go shopping for anything on your cruise, if its a watch or jewelry check out your own local jeweler first as well as check prices on line in your home country. I know it is often special to be able to say I bought this in "BLANK Port for our anniversary or birthday"....but I have always found prices at home much better as well as the quality. Sadly they know they gotcha, the chance of you coming back is slim to none.

I know it is too late after the fact, your best bet is to go to a local jeweler,and get it fixed and replaced and have all the prongs checked. Going back to Effy will just cause more frustration and time and money.

I think you may find many that disagree with your assessment including us. We have made many jewelry purchases over our years of sailing with Hal, always Guaranteed Stores. We had one bad experience but worked with Hal and received a full refund. Everything we have purchased we had appraised and to date we have always had great bargains including quality. A person needs to be cautious with what and where they buy.

If I were the OP I would use the Guarantee Store avenue and get a refund rather than pay more money to fix the problem with the ring. I can't imagine any reputable jewelry store would be willing to fix or properly appraise a ring not purchased at their store.

Good luck!

Thanks

Had the same thing happen on a Princess cruise with an EFFY ring.After the diamonds fell out the second time,they refunded our money.We will never buy from EFFY again.Our jeweler looked at the ring and said it was poorly made and the tynes holding in the diamonds were defective!

• Like 1

I'm surprised that they didn't just replace the mount. My wife's engagement ring had its stone come loose and the jeweler just put a stronger mount on the ring. 25 years later and no loose diamond issue at all.

A cruise line recommended jewelry store is simply one that is willing to pay the cruise line a monthly fee and/or a percentage of the sale for making that recommendation and placing the store on the cruise line map of the area.

The rest is marketing bumph.

• Like 1

A cruise line recommended jewelry store is simply one that is willing to pay the cruise line a monthly fee and/or a percentage of the sale for making that recommendation and placing the store on the cruise line map of the area.

That's true but being a Guaranteed Store your purchased is at least protected!

Buying in a non-recommended store is Buyer Beware!

Neither my wife nor I buy or wear jewelry. However, I do know someone who buys stuff on trips and also at home. They have told me that when you buy jewelry, you should either know your jewelry well or know your jeweler well. For most people on cruises, neither applies.

DON

On Princess,the EFFY store was on the ship.

Neither my wife nor I buy or wear jewelry. However, I do know someone who buys stuff on trips and also at home. They have told me that when you buy jewelry, you should either know your jewelry well or know your jeweler well. For most people on cruises, neither applies.

DON

I agree with your opinion. Why people choose to spend major bucks during a cruise without proper shopping or vetting of whom they are enriching by their purchases astounds me.

The two major purchases I have ever made during a cruise: one dealt with an electronic item and one was a watch. I had shopped extensively prior to the cruise for both. Both were purchased at prices that were below what I would have paid at stores at home. (And, they were the exact items.) Both still work, with the watch now being in service for 32 years. (Yes, I have had some maintenance issues, but nothing major.)

Had the same thing happen on a Princess cruise with an EFFY ring.After the diamonds fell out the second time,they refunded our money.We will never buy from EFFY again.Our jeweler looked at the ring and said it was poorly made and the tynes holding in the diamonds were defective!

Did you get the refund from effy or the cruise line? How much help was the cruise line with your problem?

Edited by London09

Did you get the refund from effy or the cruise line? How much help was the cruise line with your problem?

Princess handled the entire situation.I sent the ring back and they returned it to EFFY for repair.The check was from a third party that handles the refunds.

Edited by johnmik1

As OP stated "Let the Buyer Beware"

One of many articles found on the Web.

While the jewelry sold by Effy may be beautiful in the short term, the issue argued by experts is that consumers are being sold inferior products at an inflated price, without receiving all the important information.

If you’re interested in purchasing jewelry from the Effy Jewelry line, it’s important to arm yourself with information. Be sure to ask the salesperson:

Is this ruby treated?

If so, how was it treated?

Is there lead glass in the ruby? Federal laws require that retailers provide consumers with a full refund if the product sold was misrepresented or determined to fraudulent.

If purchasing from Effy Jewelry online, it’s recommended that buyers take their newly purchased gemstones to a professional for an evaluation before the 30-day return period is up.

We have never bought any jewelry out of the country.

Our best jewelry stores here may cost a little more, but their quality is better.

Original poster said the Effy Store they bought in was in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico is part of this country.

Princess handled the entire situation.I sent the ring back and they returned it to EFFY for repair.The check was from a third party that handles the refunds.

That's good to know. We contacted effy today and talked with a customer service rep who we have dealt with before. He told us they do not issue refunds but would exchange for ear rings or a necklace. We told him not acceptable if we wanted those we would have bought them. We are still waiting to hear back from Holland America as the customer service rep we are dealing with is not in today. We have a file with them because of the return twice before.

I could never understand why people buy jewellery on cruise ships or in the ports.It's really hard to know if you are getting good quality or a good deal.Not to mention,the difficulty of dealing with problems post purchase.I'd rather give local merchants my hard earned money on purchases of fine jewellery. JMO

Over a period of several years, I have purchased numerous items from Effy in Curacao -- from rings to pendants, bracelets, earrings. All of the items have been without issue. One ring that I purchased was valued, by a reputable jeweler where I reside, for more than what I paid. :D

When I needed a repair or resizing, the Curacao store took care of it without any charge.:)

I have been very satisfied by the service I have received from the Effy store in Curacao.