X Marks the Spot-The Summit to Bermuda & Back

Rosethorn40

I was stunned the first time we drove to Bayonne from NC. The tolls!:eek:

This year I got a transponder from NC that is supposed to work in the northern toll roads.

I'm thinking to be able to sail thru the tolls and just pay 1 bill will be nice.

I am also enjoying your report. Thank you!

EZ pass is nice, it will cover you from Baltimore all the way up to Bayonne. Very convenient especially if you hit some traffic. The price is cheaper with EZ pass in some areas.

Edited by dkjretired

EZ pass is nice, it will cover you from Baltimore all the way up to Bayonne. Very convenient especially if you hit some traffic. The price is cheaper with EZ pass in some areas.

Depending on when you are traveling, you can take advantage of the Express Lanes in Virginia to the Maryland line. They are free if you have more than 3 people in the car if you have an Easy Pass transponder that allows you to switch to car pool. The rates charged vary depending on the traffic. Keep in mind that it can be very expensive if you need to pay the toll. I have paid $12.00 to go 8 miles! The Virginia traffic from Richmond to Maryland can be downright awful and this system does save lots of time.

Fast Facts about Using the Express Lanes

The Express Lanes operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Drivers can use the lanes anytime and tolling is always in effect

All drivers need an E-ZPass and carpoolers need an E-ZPass Flex. Find out how to properly use your E-ZPass

With three or more people and an E-ZPass Flex, HOV-3 travel toll-free 24 hours a day, seven days a week

https://www.expresslanes.com/using-the-lanes

Just a few more things before I forget

Cabin

Cabin (An inside), was average size, and comparable to other insides on the major cruise lines. The furniture and fixtures were a little dated, but our carpet looked new,. There was a closet with double doors, and another single door that hid the safe and several drawers. There was a small refrigerator.

The shower seemed bigger than what I have experienced on Princess, maybe a tad smaller than the shower on older Carnival ships. Shampoo, conditioner, bar soap and lotion were supplied.

Muster Drill

The drill was held indoors at various locations at 3:15 pm. We did not need to take our life jackets. Children under 8 have to wear a colored wrist band so in event of an emergency crew would know where to take them in case they were separated from their parents.

Pools

The Solarium pool was heated, but on the last day the water got cold (Maybe heater was turned off in an effort to get people to leave?). Hot tubs were very warm. They used saltwater fill the pools.

Outside pool was COLD (Burrr). Really loved this next item. They had swim vests for children, three different sizes and free to use while in pool area. The daily planner states that the pools & hot tubs were opened 6am-10pm (9pm for the outside pool), but they actually opened the solarium pool around 7 each morning.

To Sum It All Up

Yes, I very much liked The Summit, and would sail Celebrity again if I found the right itinerary & price. I do think that some of the extras; photo, specialty dining are priced higher than the competition (I realize they are optional, and not needed). I hope they keep BO5. Tweak the menu if you must, but keep a casual venue available

Finally was able to get Photo Bucket to work, so here are a few more photos from around ship.

Café Al Bacio

IMG_2982_zpsfwjeexxj.jpg

Cellar Masters, great beer & port

IMG_2979_zpsxre3ooac.jpg

Bistro on Five

IMG_2976_zpsfovevqlq.jpg

IMG_2977_zpsgvh86mln.jpg

Is the bistro on five a specialty restaurant with additional fees? Thanks for your great reviews.

We may have been right behind you in line?

Took a few photo's also, they will be coming (not all).

CaptDave

Any chance you were the couple looking very chic in all black & white? There was a couple that were dressed to the nines in all black & white that looked stunning. Wish I could carry off with the same sense of style.

Any chance you were the couple looking very chic in all black & white? There was a couple that were dressed to the nines in all black & white that looked stunning. Wish I could carry off with the same sense of style.

Not us, then maybe 2 behind!

Just got new high tech Windows 10 based PC (I know Win 7). Win 10 has slowed me down for a little bit with my photo's. Have to learn it myself, photo's coming soon (shot 70+ GB's). This will be first time I download photo's to this PC (solid state C Drive...super fast).

CaptDave

I was stunned the first time we drove to Bayonne from NC. The tolls!:eek:

This year I got a transponder from NC that is supposed to work in the northern toll roads.

I'm thinking to be able to sail thru the tolls and just pay 1 bill will be nice.

I am also enjoying your report. Thank you!

For travelers from the South consider I-270 through Frederick:

Follow US-15 N to PA-581 E in Camp Hill. Take the PA-581 E exit from US-15

Take I-81 N and I-78 E to US-1 Truck/US-9 Truck N/Raymond Blvd in Newark. Take the US 1 Truck N/US 9 Truck N exit from US-1 Truck N/US-9 Truck N

Continue on US-1 Truck/US-9 Truck N. Take NJ-440 S and Goldsborough Dr to Port Terminal Blvd in Bayonne

Time from Frederick: 4 hours

Tolls: $0 ($1 on the return as you enter Pennsylvania)

For travelers from the South consider I-270 through Frederick:

Follow US-15 N to PA-581 E in Camp Hill. Take the PA-581 E exit from US-15

Take I-81 N and I-78 E to US-1 Truck/US-9 Truck N/Raymond Blvd in Newark. Take the US 1 Truck N/US 9 Truck N exit from US-1 Truck N/US-9 Truck N

Continue on US-1 Truck/US-9 Truck N. Take NJ-440 S and Goldsborough Dr to Port Terminal Blvd in Bayonne

Time from Frederick: 4 hours

Tolls: $0 ($1 on the return as you enter Pennsylvania)

Too funny! Yesterday I had my husband check out the maps (he likes that stuff) and plan our route. He saw I270 and wondered if it would be a good alternative. Is it as crowded and irritating as I95?

Thank you!

PS as I look at the route, it goes waaaaay around, seems to be a bit longer.

Do you know if it is that much longer than it seems to be on the map? Again, thank you.

Edited by Muushka
another ?

Too funny! Yesterday I had my husband check out the maps (he likes that stuff) and plan our route. He saw I270 and wondered if it would be a good alternative. Is it as crowded and irritating as I95?

Thank you!

PS as I look at the route, it goes waaaaay around, seems to be a bit longer.

Do you know if it is that much longer than it seems to be on the map? Again, thank you.

From Frederick Google maps show that driving time via I-95 is about six miles and 15 minutes shorter than using US 15, I-81, I-83 etc. I-270 traffic is not an issue traveling on a Sunday. Even on a weekday, early morning traffic northbound would not be an issue.

My only reservation is that it looks like it is way out of the way. And once I took Google Maps word for how long of a drive it was to Memphis. Boy was it off! That being said, we will definitely look at this route. I detest I95 and would love to take an alternative route. Thank you!

I-270 traffic can be horrendous. I hate driving on it. It's worse than I-95 and the DC beltway most of the time. 15 is a good route. My DS went to college in Grantham, PA which is just south of Harrisburg and traffic on 15 was never bad.

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing on the summit in august our 5th time on her. the improvements in the adult solarium look great however we will be with family members sailing in Sky suites and have two kids under 12 with us. Looking forward to luminae and Michael's club along with the other upgrades!

While we love the summits size and staff, we strayed last year and sailed on the breakaway Loved the Haven, which is very expensive, but the rest of the ship is a zoo. With the exception of the Quantum the most crowded of all ships at sea!

Thanks for the review. We will be sailing on the summit in august our 5th time on her. the improvements in the adult solarium look great however we will be with family members sailing in Sky suites and have two kids under 12 with us. Looking forward to luminae and Michael's club along with the other upgrades!

While we love the summits size and staff, we strayed last year and sailed on the breakaway Loved the Haven, which is very expensive, but the rest of the ship is a zoo. With the exception of the Quantum the most crowded of all ships at sea!

Hard to get a seat, still people hogging the chairs.

Saving chairs for friends who may or may not show up...really nice. Not that many chairs.

May 8th Summit Bermuda, a pox on you chair hogs! You know who you are.

CaptDave

We may have been right behind you in line?

Took a few photo's also, they will be coming (not all).

CaptDave

I think that the OP was on the cruise the week before the one that you (and us) were on.

Can't wait to see the pix

Ken

Hoping you will be able to finish your post this week. We leave Sunday, May 15th for this same cruise. First time on Celebrity also. We are on Deck 9 also - 9070 - Aqua. That will be an entire new experience with dining in Blu, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to post so soon after your cruise.

You will love breakfast and dinner in Blu. Our waiter and assistant was Donovan and Rayon who made excellent recommendations and never steered us wrong. The Maitre'd was Constantin, Hostess Marija and Sommelier Bailon. If you get to meet them all you will have a wonderful experience there. Please note, however, that if you love a window seat, like we do, it pays to arrive a few minutes before the doors open as no reservations are required only first come first served and those seats go fast.

Edited by Ereggae