Cheers package: tip extra?

KJENN

Hi, this will be our first time with Cheers and wondering what everyone does in regards to leaving extra tips on drinks. Do you tip additional for each drink? If so how much on average? Most likely I'll be grabbing drinks here and there vs sitting at a bar for several drinks since my kids will be on the go. Just curious what the expectations are. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, this will be our first time with Cheers and wondering what everyone does in regards to leaving extra tips on drinks. Do you tip additional for each drink? If so how much on average? Most likely I'll be grabbing drinks here and there vs sitting at a bar for several drinks since my kids will be on the go. Just curious what the expectations are. Thanks!

I tip extra for the drink servers and bartenders that I frequent most often and give me good service. I do not tip extra with each drink

We usually bring a bunch of singles and tip $1 with each order when we get Cheers.

Is it better to tip in cash? If you tip on S&s card, does it go to a shared pot or directly to the server? Not sure if anyone knows this or not.

I usually tip at least a dollar on the receipt but if I'm repeatedly going to a bartender that I like I might tip more. I've found that usually they are not expecting a tip, so anything that they get extra is usually appreciated.

On Freedom in April, I had a bartender that was servicing the aft pool area and he knew my drink of choice - Malibu and Sprite. I tipped him a little extra since he wasn't behind the bar and having to bring drinks to me and after the first two drinks he started bringing doubles for the rest of the cruise which were rung in the system as singles. That was appreciated and he was definitely tipped extra for the service.

I've found that most bartenders that you tip and build a relationship with will be more than willing to take care of you and go above and beyond expectations. Also, the bar could be crowded and you are the first person they go to. It's all up to you - are a few extra bucks worth getting better service? For me it's all about convenience and service and taking care of those who are taking care of me. :)

I tipped a dollar a drink and rarely had to wait. I figure Its about the same in drink gratuities vs when they didn't have cheers. I did occasionally increase the tip before for good service.

Interesting. I talked to several bartenders on the legend and elation and they all said the built in tip went to a common bucket, and anyone who served you got a split of that, but if you put an additional tip on the slip that bartender got the additional tip.

On Victory in January I frequented the same bars on a regular basis and usually left a dollar in the check folder with each drink. I have never added a tip on the slip. I just don't trust the unknown. Cruise number 40 coming in October :D:D

Wait, they use check folders at the bars now? When I was on the Liberty in October 2014, they just gave you the paper receipt to sign; it wasn't in any sort of folder (I assume you're referring to things similar to the vinyl ones with the "American Express" logo on them that you'll get the check with in most mid-range/upscale restaurants).

I usually don't tip extra if I'm just grabbing a drink and going somewhere else. I usually do tip $1 or $2 extra when I'm sitting at the bar for a while or someone goes above and beyond. Then at the end of the cruise I may leave a slightly larger tip for a bartender who has been taking care of me for the whole cruise.

I prefer to go to the bar to get my own drinks and have found if I tip extra beyond the tip built into the Cheers package, the bartenders remember you and the service and drinks are superior. So in my opinion, an extra tip offers a great payback and is a good investment in my favorite bartender. :)

As a couple, we tip a dollar total per round to the bartender or server. And we get very generous on the last night with our favorite servers and bartenders. We are definitely drinkers on vacation, and we usually form good relationships early on with the bar staff. LOL :)

I prefer to go to the bar to get my own drinks and have found if I tip extra beyond the tip built into the Cheers package, the bartenders remember you and the service and drinks are superior. So in my opinion, an extra tip offers a great payback and is a good investment in my favorite bartender. :)

Ditto to this. Additionally when I tip the server if I don't go to the bar, they will make rounds a bit more frequently.

Interesting. I talked to several bartenders on the legend and elation and they all said the built in tip went to a common bucket, and anyone who served you got a split of that, but if you put an additional tip on the slip that bartender got the additional tip.

This how it has been explained to me by several bar tenders/drink servers on more than 1 ship since Cheers began.

I don't usually add extra on each drink. I do add extra tip on a slip when I use the same server repeatedly. I will tip a bigger cash bill to any servers that I wind up having a "relationship" with just like I did before Cheers.

I would only tip extra if someone did something out of the ordinary for me.

But my rule of thumb is, if someone is bold enough to take my tip FROM me, as opposed to offering it, said tip is complete.

Having recently relocated from the UK, we are still adjusting to the tipping system here in the US. For this reason we purchased the Cheers and Bottomless Bubbles packages knowing that gratuities were taken care of. Reading all your responses leaves me feeling that if we don't tip in addition to the 15% already added to Cheers we will be regarded less favourably by the staff or ultimately ignored. Is this the case? Don't get me wrong, we Brits are not totally heartless and will always tip in the UK when we receive good service, but tipping in order to RECEIVE service seems wrong.

Having recently relocated from the UK, we are still adjusting to the tipping system here in the US. For this reason we purchased the Cheers and Bottomless Bubbles packages knowing that gratuities were taken care of. Reading all your responses leaves me feeling that if we don't tip in addition to the 15% already added to Cheers we will be regarded less favourably by the staff or ultimately ignored. Is this the case? Don't get me wrong, we Brits are not totally heartless and will always tip in the UK when we receive good service, but tipping in order to RECEIVE service seems wrong.

No, you will be fine.

For some reason, Americans think tipping in advance guarantees them good service. Then they get mad when they receive poor service and are out the money.

It depends on how you use Cheers. We will always get the $49 value from the number of drinks we get so we feel like the 15% on that amount doesn't really cover what we get from the bar staff. So, we always tip extra because 20% standard plus we get more like a $75 value per day so they do deserve more money.

Tip as much or as little as you wish. There is no wrong answer here because gratuities are already pre-paid in the Cheers price.

Some people will tell you that you need to tip no matter how much you have already paid for a service. Don't go broke trying to "Keep up with the Joneses!"

Last year we rented a limo to take us to and from the airport and we paid a pretty good amount for that limo; we wanted to splurge for OUR vacation. In the price of the limo was built in 20% gratuity for the drive yet after he dropped us off he stood there looking like he was expecting an additional tip! We just left him standing there. I mean, according to the limo companies site, 20% was already built in; how much more were we suppose to give?

I personally think that noone should feel OBLIGATED to tip anyone; especially when there is already a built in gratuity. If you choose to tip, great! However, no one should feel like they HAVE to tip.

Edited by vacruisin