NCL Excursion Reviews

When I was deciding on what excursions to take on my upcoming cruise, I found it so helpful to read the reviews on NCL's website. Some excursions that sounded great had some terrible reviews and others enlightened me that it might be an hour catamaran ride followed by a 45 minute bus ride to get to a particular place (something I wouldn't be interested in).

One thing I did notice is that most excursions only had a few reviews (maybe a few had 10 or more but that was the minority).

Considering the thousands of people who take excursions, I was surprised that there weren't more reviews.

To those who post them, thank you. And if you do take a ship-sponsored trip, I would love to read about your experience. It really helps especially with the high cost involved for most of them.

Tracy

One thing I did notice is that most excursions only had a few reviews (maybe a few had 10 or more but that was the minority).

Tracy

I am a "Top 10" shoreex reviewer on NCL.com. The majority of the reviews that I have done over the years are no longer on the NCL website. I've never tied to figure out how it all works.

I had originally assumed that between seasons, tours were removed from the website when they were no longer offered. Then when the cruise line contracts with a tour provider for the next season, they were created with no reviews. Now I just don't know.

All I can say is that there were many more reviews written than what you find on the web site.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

You would be shocked at how many posters just walk aimlessly around the ports and don't venture further...so no reviews needed

Many just take a cab to the beach...which is a perfect thing to do in the Carib...so no reviews

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I was deciding on what excursions to take on my upcoming cruise, I found it so helpful to read the reviews on NCL's website. Some excursions that sounded great had some terrible reviews and others enlightened me that it might be an hour catamaran ride followed by a 45 minute bus ride to get to a particular place (something I wouldn't be interested in).

Considering the thousands of people who take excursions, I was surprised that there weren't more reviews.

To those who post them, thank you. And if you do take a ship-sponsored trip, I would love to read about your experience. It really helps especially with the high cost involved for most of them.

Tracy

Something to remember is that when booking an ncl excursion....you are basically using the same operators that you would book if booking on your own

Price notwithstanding....it is quite likely that you won't even be able to book a particular say snorkel excursion on your own in many case as ncl has already booked the boats for their excursions

When you can find a private snorkel excursion the prices are usually very high but you are getting more time

While you can dig around to find one I myself have found it easier to do certain excursions through the ship

Fwiw the last thing I want or need is a bus tour of an island. If I book ncl tours I want snorkeling or I can just grab a cab to a beach....which btw in a place like st kitts will also get you a stop on a mountaintop to see the monkeys and where the Atlantic and Carib meet.

Any taxi driver worth their salt in st kitts knows to stop there if you are going to that part of the island

99% of the time I am cruising solo so I only take NCL excursions because I don't feel comfortable jumping in a taxi alone.

I love going to the beach and for my upcoming cruise, I was about to book a certain beach excursion when I decided to read the reviews. Most of them talked about how rocky the beach was, lots of seaweed and how the local vendors refused to leave you alone. Not my idea of fun so I nixed the idea.

Fortunately by continuing to read additional reviews, I found the perfect beach trip.

Tracy

Check out the ports of call you are visiting here on CC you will get more info than you will ever find on NCL's web site. Or any one ships web site.

Or check out Trip advisor.

The posted ones are approved by NCL so not everything gets posted.

I submitted a review of an excursion in Tangier that was a bit critical - NCL never published it.

That's too bad because I would think it would help others make an informed decision. I've also written some critical (yet honest) reviews and have had both my positive and negative ones published.

Tracy

• Like 1

99% of the time I am cruising solo so I only take NCL excursions because I don't feel comfortable jumping in a taxi alone.

I love going to the beach and for my upcoming cruise, I was about to book a certain beach excursion when I decided to read the reviews. Most of them talked about how rocky the beach was, lots of seaweed and how the local vendors refused to leave you alone. Not my idea of fun so I nixed the idea.

Fortunately by continuing to read additional reviews, I found the perfect beach trip.

Tracy

I don't actually believe you would be solo in a taxi to the beach anyway.

They usually wait until the van is full or semi full and then try to agree on a pick up time at the beach for the group

That's been our experience anyway

We get in taxi...with others whom we do not know...but who usually are agreeable to whatever beach the group wants....although you can go to any beach you want but the dispatchers know to group riders by beach preference....then....

Upon drop off at the beach the group usually agrees to a pick up time....as no one wants to miss the ship

Its all very civilized and easy

The group can agree to make sure they locate you before they leave just to be sure you don't miss the ride back

No need to stay with them at the beach but honestly just agree to meet up at agreed upon time

All pax have the same concerns so you will be ok doing this IMHO

Tracy

I have to debate the NCL sanctioned excursions. Coming off the Getaway back in the end of April, this was the first time I booked third party excursions (and one NCL) for this trip. And to be honest, I did a lot of reading here (CC) and with TripAdvisor to select my excursions. The cost savings is substantial when you are a family; (I had two adults and two kids). Every NCL excursion was a budget buster and I saved at least close to $200 per excursion going third party. Each one had absolute assurances to make sure you didn't miss your boat. Many rely on reviews to maintain their business model and they know we (Americans) like to speak our mines so many won't risk a bad review.

I did Cozumel (last port) on NCL as a "last minute" selection since we had nothing planned. The cost was the highest of all the excursions.

Do your homework and have confidence that there are plenty of good third party excursions out there.

Hope this helps.

Don't forget to join your roll call and go to the Meet & Greet! Most people on the roll call have already researched/arranged independent tours (many based on Trip Advisor reviews and are looking for people to round out their groups. If the groups are full, you can contact the tour operator directly about starting another group.

We have never done a ship-operated tour, most because they are so expensive, and the groups are always sooo large! On private tours, you have smaller groups/buses, so it is easier and faster to get around/stay ahead of the ship tours.

On our most recent cruise, we met up with a couple from our M&G. The husband would go ashore as soon as the ship was cleared, survey all the tour operators selling tours, and then negotiate a price for a group of us (made up of M&G'ers and other people we met on the cruise). We ended up saving a ton of money on these private excursions, and the service was often better because the companies are smaller and more reliant on good reviews on sites such as TA.

• 5 years later...

Has this not changed in the last 6-years?  Still no way to post a tour review (I just poked around for 20 minutes and couldn't figure it out)?  The descriptions on their reviews leaves MUCH to be desired (ex. recent "7 hour tour including Mayan ruins etc"....but 6 of it is BUS transport time). 

I guess as the seller (and profiter), they are likely not going to want any negative reviews so I suppose I am not surprised, but I never realized they were so curated.

I really wish there were reviews posted for the NCL excursions too.  Upcoming Baltic cruise, and I’ve compared prices with other tour operators, when factoring in the free at sea discount, it really is about the same price give or take a couple dollars as going with non-NCL operators, but not sure of the quality, and really don’t like the risk of missing boat…. 

Edited by Happycrafter123

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2016 at 8:43 AM, BirdTravels said:

I am a "Top 10" shoreex reviewer on NCL.com. The majority of the reviews that I have done over the years are no longer on the NCL website. I've never tied to figure out how it all works.

I had originally assumed that between seasons, tours were removed from the website when they were no longer offered. Then when the cruise line contracts with a tour provider for the next season, they were created with no reviews. Now I just don't know.

All I can say is that there were many more reviews written than what you find on the web site.

do you have a place where you posted your reviews? looking for the mediterranean

18 hours ago, Joan18 said:

do you have a place where you posted your reviews? looking for the mediterranean

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2727265-mediterranean-ship-excursions-review/page/2/#replyForm

Not Bird travels but I posted reviews of about 14 Mediterranean ncl excursions on this review.  It was just prior to the pandemic but same excursions still on offer through ncl so you might get some ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, littlelulu01 said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2727265-mediterranean-ship-excursions-review/page/2/#replyForm

Not Bird travels but I posted reviews of about 14 Mediterranean ncl excursions on this review.  It was just prior to the pandemic but same excursions still on offer through ncl so you might get some ideas. 

I remember reading your review, it was great!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Joan18 said:

Sorry. They were NCL reviews which are probably OBE. The pandemic cancelled our last med cruise and we have been staying closer to home since.