Alaska on the Westerdam 5/28/16

smgardner

Hi Guys- Our trip to Alaska is right around the corner. I have a few questions, hoping and thanking you in advance for any help you may provide.

1) Are there a lot of mosquitos? A buddy that lived there told me to be prepared for these.

2) I have read a good amount of HA dress apparel threads. Is Alaska a bit more relaxed? We are taking a lot of comfort clothing, layers, etc. I was really not wanting to haul a suit coat and dress clothes for two dinners, just a bit cramped for room. On that note, I also do not want to be the guy in the dining room that is under dressed. Just wondering if casual is a bit more accepted as it is Alaska.

3) Boat communications- We are traveling with two other couples. I have read the internet service is pretty bad on the Westerdam. I doubt that cell service will work( TMobile, Sprint). Was curious about the most effective means of communications between folks. Shoot, even if my wife wants to know where the heck I am....any good suggestions?

Edited by smgardner

1) Yes, and there huge and hungry. Pack lots of deet.

2) Long sleeve collared shirt and trousers is minimum requirement for Gala nights; a jacket is a pleasant addition. Perhaps wear it on the plane.

3) Post-it notes on the cabin door work wonders.

1) Yes, and there huge and hungry. Pack lots of deet.

2) Long sleeve collared shirt and trousers is minimum requirement for Gala nights; a jacket is a pleasant addition. Perhaps wear it on the plane.

3) Post-it notes on the cabin door work wonders.

Add cabin phone voicemail as well. The ship fairly small. Not easy to loss contact with each other. You couls always arrange a meeting time as well to discuss daily plans.

Edited by Kamloops50

1) Not many if any. July, yes there will be plenty.

3) Using cellphones while on the ship will be expensive. Really expensive. For communication between you and your wife, I use the post-it note method. Post a message and throw the message away when you acknowledge the message.

Mosquitos are not generally a problem in the inside passage ports that the Westerdam goes to, even in July. In my 8 trips to Alaska, I have gotten exactly ONE mosquito bite, while hiking to Traitors Cove in Skagway. We all used regular Off spray after we realized there were mosquitos there, and nobody else (group of 6) got bit.

I've heard they are much worse in interior Alaska, particularly Denali, and you do need Deet there.

3) Boat communications- We are traveling with two other couples. I have read the internet service is pretty bad on the Westerdam. I doubt that cell service will work( TMobile, Sprint). Was curious about the most effective means of communications between folks. Shoot, even if my wife wants to know where the heck I am....any good suggestions?

Don't know about on the boat as our phones go in the safe while sailing but Alaska is USA and we had Sprint phone service in all the Alaskan cities we visited.

We have done around 16 Alaskan cruises from early May through the first part of September and never were bothered with mosquitoes. We have been in wooded areas -- nothing.

Many people are no longer dressing up like they used to. We did a repositioning cruise just a month ago -- 21 days. Most men dressed in slacks and shirt -- no ties -- no jacket.

Use Post-Notes on the doors or the in cabin phones to leave messages.

This coming trip will be our third to Alaska and I've never been bothered by skeeters. HAL has two "formal" nights and while there will be many who will be wearing a tux in the dining room on those nights, as long as you have on a jacket and tie you won't be frowned at (although I'm not sure that I've ever seen somebody turned away unless they were in shorts and a muscle shirt). We never worry about trying to call each other on the ship - just set a meet time someplace. Your cell phones will work in all ports. The data package is too spendy for my taste and I'm addicted to the net but it's good to dry out for the week.

Edited by grsnovi

Holland no longer has formal nights.

You do not need a jacket in the MDR.

Here is the actual dress code from the Holland Web Site:

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

I wondered if anyone has any experience with walkie talkies for communicating on the ship? I have heard mixed reviews about how well they work
Depends on where you are on the ship and how much metal. It's been discussed that they can be annoying to other passengers.

Depends on where you are on the ship and how much metal. It's been discussed that they can be annoying to other passengers.

Most of the time they won't work. Only if your on the same deck they might work. The ship's radio for staff works on a special system.

Alaskan weather in May is more of a concern. You may need warm clothing, rain gear, plus T-shirts, shorts, and sunglasses all on the same trip. Last week in Juneau it was 75 and sunny, this week 59 and overcast. Glacier Bay was 40 degrees and cold and Sitka was rainy. You may want to keep your eye on the weather. :)

During Gala Nights people pretty much dressed like they wished. Most men were in suit jackets (many without ties.) Women wore dresses or pantsuits.

Wi-Fi will work great on land / in ports. Although the marine Wi-Fi is slower, it still gets the job done if you want to communicate using cell phones on the ship. But know that data transfer is slow. There are dead zones even using the marine Wi-Fi. So using post-its and planning ahead while onboard is a great idea.

There is a voyage-long package that you can pay for, that means you can use the HAL Internet as much as you like for a single price.