Oasis of the Seas: Denied (5/14/16)

Somewhere early in this wonderful thread someone talked about timing and paperwork needed for closed loop.

My story...my first cruise.."only need original birth certificate and DL. Done...schlep down to PE...my favorite port..sarcasm here...plenty of time...on line to "check in" being yelled at by charm school rejects! ..

Ok I'm next...yipeee I'm goin' on a cruise..I'm sooo happy...hand over DL and ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE....only to be told by another charm school reject that the birth certificate was not acceptable....wait....what...

Come to find out..that a SHORT FORM is not accepted. Wait..what's a short form I say with a quivering lip....I'm sorry ma'me. Wait....you mean I can't go...more quivering lip... I open my wallet..concealed carry license. ..social security card..florida medical ( therapy ) license ....credit cards galore..and I "insisted to talk to a superior"...flat out boo hooing now. ..items scooped up and she harumphefed away....IM NOT MOVING ...a supervisor came over...took me aside and...SHOCK OF SHOCK a kind soul....after 2 hours I was THE LAST ONE on the boat...

Lessons learned...it took me 6 months to get a long form from my birth state (NJ)....another story.. with actual final intervention by MY (now) Florida State Senator Marco Rubio.

I have MY PASSPORT. ..

Sorry this happened. Hearing this story makes me think back to my very first cruise. Fortunately we were lucky . Not sure if the rules for manifest list weren't in place as yet .

We were sailing on Monarch from Puerto Rico . Booked through a TA. Didn't know one thing about cruising . The ship was leaving at 10pm. We were the last on the ship. Had to be after 9pm. When at dinner the next night I remember our waiter saying he missed us at dinner. Was confused . Our TA never told us when we could board. We missed the whole first day.

It was my 2 sisters and I, and my mom and 1 yr old son. Didn't use that TA after that because she also booked all 5 of us in 1 room. We had no idea about room sizes at all. She said we would be able to get a rollaway crib for my son. So not the case. Luckily Royal moved my son and I into a room for ourselves with no extra charge. Just glad we didn't miss the ship. The next year we went on Monarch again but made sure we arrived the day before.

I make the drive 3 times a week at all time of day and night and it has never taken me less than 60 minutes to get from Las Olas to either downtown or South Beach.

On multiple occasions it has taken me three hours.

On a regular basis due to accidents and roadwork, 90 minutes.

If there is an accident on I95 the police will shut down the entire stretch and allow no traffic through because there are no shoulders wide enough for emergency vehicles. Police are instructed not to stop for speeding on that stretch of I95.

Chrislilynorah, It's so nice to see a happy ending! Can't imagine the disappointment after months of excitement, only to be denied boarding. I'd be a mess!!! Hope you have the best vacation ever in February!!!

BlueHerons, I have a question about the Florida traffic. We are booked on the Oasis out of Fort Lauderdale in October but we are flying in a few days early to visit friends in Punta Gorda. We are renting a car and driving back to Fort Lauderdale early on the morning of our cruise but after reading the many comments about heavy traffic, I'm wondering if we should drive back the night before our cruise. Looking at the route on Google Maps, we'd take I-75 across Florida and I-595 to the FLL airport to return the car before catching a taxi. As far as I can see, we can avoid I-95. My question is... is I595 just as bad as I95 and should we drive into Fort Lauderdale the night before? I really don't think we'd miss our cruise because we'd start the 2 1/2 hour drive early morning but we do enjoy getting on the ship early and getting as much out of our first day as we can. TIA!!!

BlueHerons, I have a question about the Florida traffic. We are booked on the Oasis out of Fort Lauderdale in October but we are flying in a few days early to visit friends in Punta Gorda. We are renting a car and driving back to Fort Lauderdale early on the morning of our cruise but after reading the many comments about heavy traffic, I'm wondering if we should drive back the night before our cruise. Looking at the route on Google Maps, we'd take I-75 across Florida and I-595 to the FLL airport to return the car before catching a taxi. As far as I can see, we can avoid I-95. My question is... is I595 just as bad as I95 and should we drive into Fort Lauderdale the night before? I really don't think we'd miss our cruise because we'd start the 2 1/2 hour drive early morning but we do enjoy getting on the ship early and getting as much out of our first day as we can. TIA!!!

I lived in the Naples area for six years and made the trip across Alligator Alley (I 75) and I 595 many times. You should not run into traffic problems, particularly on a Saturday morning, but there are no guarantees. Leaving early in the morning should ensure you get to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

Chrislilynorah, It's so nice to see a happy ending! Can't imagine the disappointment after months of excitement, only to be denied boarding. I'd be a mess!!! Hope you have the best vacation ever in February!!!

If you don't receive a reply today, try asking BlueHerons again on the Florida Departures board. I know he/she frequents that board and provides a lot of great info there.

A few months back there was a thread by a couple who left home early to drive to Ft. Lauderdale and got caught in construction traffic plus accident traffic. They missed their cruise because of the delays even though they thought they had left home in plenty of time.

Driving across The Alley or The Trail can also get you caught in smoke from Everglades fires. I seem to recall at times roads has to be closed because of the smoke. We are in lightning strike season in FL.

We drive from north of Tampa/Orlando when we sail Celebrity and always drive down the day prior. Never know what Mother Nature is going to send your way and certainly don't want to miss the ship or arrive late and be denied boarding. Better safe than sorry.

We were in Ft. Myers Beach and Marco Island for 2 weeks and early morning traffic was quite light on I75, but one never knows.

Enjoy your cruise.

When cruising out of other ports right next to home I.e. Bayonne /NYC, we always book a Mariott as close to the port as possible and check in the day prior to sailing. This lessens the chance of traffic/construction/weather/vehicle issues. Small price to pay to ensure we are not delays boarding on sail-away day

I lived in the Naples area for six years and made the trip across Alligator Alley (I 75) and I 595 many times. You should not run into traffic problems, particularly on a Saturday morning, but there are no guarantees. Leaving early in the morning should ensure you get to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

If you don't receive a reply today, try asking BlueHerons again on the Florida Departures board. I know he/she frequents that board and provides a lot of great info there.

Thanks for the feedback Royal and tropiclvrs! Sorry I was so delayed in responding... been a super busy couple of weeks.

Sorry, I didn't see this question.

You should be just fine driving over the morning of your cruise.

It is a straight shot from I75 to 595 to Port Everglades. You exit to the port right off the interstate I believe.

The drive is absolutely gorgeous! When we were moving over from Sarasota to Fort Lauderdale I would get off work around 9PM and make the drive over. The stars are magnificent! It is a lot like they are in the desert.

Good luck and leave early just in case!

Sorry, I didn't see this question.

You should be just fine driving over the morning of your cruise.

It is a straight shot from I75 to 595 to Port Everglades. You exit to the port right off the interstate I believe.

The drive is absolutely gorgeous! When we were moving over from Sarasota to Fort Lauderdale I would get off work around 9PM and make the drive over. The stars are magnificent! It is a lot like they are in the desert.

Good luck and leave early just in case!

Thanks BlueHerons! After your description of the stars, I wish we could make the drive in the dark, lol. We have to return our car rental to the airport, then catch a cab over to the port but I'm thinking they are close enough in distance that it should still go pretty smooth. Thanks for the feedback.