Oasis of the Seas: Denied (5/14/16)

I had known about CC a couple months prior to departure. We actually did fly in the night before, but inexperience and miscalculation got the best of us that Saturday.

One of my mistakes was not taking 1-2 days off work to review and get everything sorted. Work has been so busy and I never sat down to read & review my documentation. I rushed home and threw everything in a bag before heading to the airport.

I am very sorry you missed your cruise and appreciate the fact that you came back to this thread to clarify some of the details.

I hope you are able to get on the Oasis in the near future. We got off Oasis the day you were to board and this was our favorite ship to date.:)

Unfortunately, gone are the days when they would let you go to Mexico or Canada w/o a passport.

If we lived near the border and planned frequent trips to Canada or Mexico, we'd have a passport card for trips north. But passport cards are pretty limited. Probably the only place you can use a passport card is on those Alaska shore excursions that visit the Yukon. But they always ask for a passport. Border patrol are very conscientious. In the Yukon, we had to hold our passports while Customs boarded. We were told to remain in our seats. And the guide told us they had once let a lady use the restroom, and she was still in the restroom when the Customs got there. He wasn't impressed, and pulled his gun.

OP may have been able to board w/ the birth certificate & ID, if it's a closed circuit cruise. Passports booklets are better. If for some reason you must fly back to the US, Customs will let you back with a passport booklet.

Nassau can be risky. Last time we were there, they had police all over the place. Usually that doesn't happen unless there had been some incidents.

With Zika now such a risk for young people, I'd suggest booking Canada/New England or Alaska.

Zika avoidance (even low risk) is actually one of the silver linings for us, since we have a 20-month old.

. . . if I cannot plan my cruise vacation where I reach the departure city a day or two before a cruise, I will not book a cruise . . .

A great policy.

We used to get there the day before, but it's getting to the point where we need two, maybe three days. Flying is so stressful these days, you'll need those extra pre-days to detox.

Edited by knittinggirl

What is a "muster"? How long after the check-in period was this?

Muster is the safety drill that is required of all guests to attend. It is usually scheduled within an hour or so of scheduled departure. On some sailings with later departures, it is earlier.

What is a "muster"? How long after the check-in period was this?

Muster is the mandatory safety drill.

It may not be quite the same, but I once overslept, missed my flight and had to cancel my vacation. It was not as costly a mistake as missing a cruise, but it happened.

It is too bad you could not extend your stay in Florida, since you were there already, maybe it would have made the sting less painful. But I understand if there are financial considerations that sent you home.

Because of some missing details, I'm having a hard time understanding why a the insurance won't pay. If they were late because of a delayed flight, I thought that was the point of the insurance. If the flight was on time and it's because it was booked to arrive to late, then I can see that.

I wouldn't give up on the insurance just yet. They have a knee jerk reaction of "no we won't pay", but it's worth following up on. It's a lot of money to leave on the table it's worth an effort.

Honestly, can't preach to people about passports, as a Canadian I'm in a different boat we need it. It's just beyond my comprehension to understand how one would not have passport, I understand the reasoning, but to each his own.

to the OP Best of luck to you and your family, I sincerely hope you give cruising a second chance.

Thank you for your kind expressions. Our policy provides 100% protection against severe circumstances (such as sickness) and partial protection for trip delay... but the delay needs to be 12-hours or longer and well documented.

We had to slog through 2 accidents on the I-95, made a wrong turn, and had 2 unscheduled stops for the little one. At most an 1.5 hour delay.

Unless you book your flight through RC :cool: They certainly are able. Our last time on Freedom people on RC booked flights were boarding all the way up until we left the dock. We even left a little late waiting on a few. I dont know how they satisfy the 90 minute requirement but Ive witnessed myself people boarding the ship way after the cutoff.

Im wondering how different this situation would have been if the OP had booked flights through RC. My guess is they would be on their cruise right now

Another thing is I think the 90 minute mark is set by Royal. Not customs. On Carnival for a cruise leaving at 4pm, you have to be checked in and boarding by 3pm so only 60 minutes. Customs cutoff time is actually 30 minutes before the ship leaves I believe.

I think they promise to get you to the next port if you book through Royal Caribbean. But I wonder how they get past the PSVA violations.

Unless you book your flight through RC :cool: They certainly are able. Our last time on Freedom people on RC booked flights were boarding all the way up until we left the dock. We even left a little late waiting on a few. I dont know how they satisfy the 90 minute requirement but Ive witnessed myself people boarding the ship way after the cutoff.

Im wondering how different this situation would have been if the OP had booked flights through RC. My guess is they would be on their cruise right now

Another thing is I think the 90 minute mark is set by Royal. Not customs. On Carnival for a cruise leaving at 4pm, you have to be checked in and boarding by 3pm so only 60 minutes. Customs cutoff time is actually 30 minutes before the ship leaves I believe.

Your observations are difficult to swallow :(

As a mom of two toddlers I really feel for you. Traveling with kids is so stressful. I can't imagine all the work that you put into getting there to just have to go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm just glad our daughter isn't old enough to be disappointed. At what age would you consider taking a little one on a cruise?

Thank you for your kind expressions. Our policy provides 100% protection against severe circumstances (such as sickness) and partial protection for trip delay... but the delay needs to be 12-hours or longer and well documented.

We had to slog through 2 accidents on the I-95, made a wrong turn, and had 2 unscheduled stops for the little one. At most an 1.5 hour delay.

'

Sounds like you were coming from MIA instead of FLL.

This won't help in this situation and I don't been to preach to you, but as Father of a 4 year that has been traveling since she was 5 months old, we as the parents of small kids need to account for those "unscheduled stops". Give yourself more time and if you get the TSA Pre a godsend for traveling Parents believe me!

I think they promise to get you to the next port if you book through Royal Caribbean. But I wonder how they get past the PSVA violations.

As someone already stated, if they had flights arrangements through RCCL they would be met by RCCL reps and maybe pre-checked in by these reps. Ship would know they are coming. That would be different from someone calling and saying they were on their way.

I think I quoted the wrong post. Was answering about how there could be people still boarding during muster drill.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

That was my 1st thought as there are no customs at embarkation, but maybe the OP is referring to Security/check in clerks. Also, on our previous Oasis cruises departing time was 4:30 and not 5pm.

Yes, I think you're correct. There were dark-shirted and white-shirted folks. Everything was a blur.

I totally understand what happened. The explanation of how it happened is not concise.

For how we arrived late? Simple.. we took an unnecessary trip down to Miami and miscalculated the time required to get back in time. I blew it.

Muster is the mandatory safety drill.

It may not be quite the same, but I once overslept, missed my flight and had to cancel my vacation. It was not as costly a mistake as missing a cruise, but it happened.

It is too bad you could not extend your stay in Florida, since you were there already, maybe it would have made the sting less painful. But I understand if there are financial considerations that sent you home.

Ah got it, thanks.

Honestly, we were too disheartened to make other arrangements.

So sorry you missed your cruise. I hope one day soon you'll be able re-book and move past this disappointment. Experience is often the best teacher. Next time you'll be fully prepared. We've all had some time of learning opportunity similar to yours.

Agreed, the fault lies here. But I'm hoping for a glimmer of compassion and mercy, especially since it's the leisure industry. If anything, I can use this negative experience to fuel other aspects of mine and my family's life.

And I do hope this post serves for benefit of posterity.

Well I certainly feel bad for your plight. I think it's great that you've come back and provided your additional perspectives on this. I think it's a long shot but keep trying on the trip insurance. Worst they can do is say no.

Don't give up on cruising.

Cheers.

Tom

Honestly, I am trying to figure out why insurance would even consider covering missing the ship in this instance. They were down in Fort Lauderdale on the morning of the cruise (actually arrived the day before), but they decided to drive down to Miami for some reason. Then ran into two traffic jams on I-95 due to accidents while coming back to FLL. Then, on top of that, had to make two unplanned stops for their daughter. I'm sorry you missed your cruise, but neither RCI nor the insurance company owe you anything.

:D

It's OK... taken a back at first then realized I have whatever's coming to me since I opened myself up to it.

You dont deserve that. Period. Best of luck to you. :) RC has been known to show some compassion even when they dont have to. I hope that is the case for you. You realize its your fault, you own it and have taken full blame and also realize you are owed nothing. For somebody to jump on you like the spookwife did is just uncalled for.

Edited by ryano

Sorry for your traumatic experience but you seem to have suffered the effects of a double whammy. Arriving too late to be included on the passenger manifest and questionable travel documents made your boarding impossible. Hopefully you can recover some of your expenses through insurance. Good luck should you ever try again.

It seemed to me that the travel documents were mentioned in the context of a hail-Mary possibility of boarding the ship at the first port of call and that the "denied" boarding was a function of timing. They missed the cutoff point. But I could be wrong. Check with my DW.

Edited by traveler279

chrislilynorah

So sorry for you and your family. I hope you give it another try and will plan another cruise now that you are aware of all the things you need to do.

For me, Even though I have taken a few cruises in the past I, research here all the time before going on a cruise. And, I am forever looking a my travel documents to make sure everything is on point. 15 months to go before my next cruise and I am searching this board everyday!!!!

For how we arrived late? Simple.. we took an unnecessary trip down to Miami and miscalculated the time required to get back in time. I blew it.

So you guys were leaving out of FLL, but took a day trip down to Miami on embarkation day? (Just want to make sure I understood :)) You certainly don't need to hear now that it's never a good idea to do anything like that on embarkation day. :(

We never do anything on embarkation day. It's up, breakfast and head to the port by 10:30am. That is day 1 of your cruise, so we want to be on the ship as early as possible.

I am sorry you guys are missing your cruise. When things happen to us unexpectedly, we have our faith to remind us that sometimes things happen for a reason. Maybe your family wasn't meant to be on that cruise for whatever reason. You'll never know.

OP, if you hang out here long enough you will learn the "tricks" of cruising. If you were to cruise again you will have the knowledge going forward. Thankfully you have a relaxed attitude about this situation, regretfully it might have helped in creating this problem.

We didn't take our son until he was 5 for his first cruise. He has now been on many and loves them. To give you an idea we usually leave for the port to be there at 11am. We figure we pay for the use of the ship for the day of embarkation we may as well be there getting our money's worth.

Good luck with RC and if you try cruising again I hope it is a great experience.

aw man I'm sorry this happened to you. Don't give up though, keep calling and see if you can get something out of this - a future cruise credit would take some sting out of it.

Good luck. We all learn things the hard way some times, nobody is perfect and I've had my share of things I wish I would have done differently.