Oasis of the Seas: Denied (5/14/16)

Because of some missing details, I'm having a hard time understanding why a the insurance won't pay. If they were late because of a delayed flight, I thought that was the point of the insurance. If the flight was on time and it's because it was booked to arrive to late, then I can see that.

I wouldn't give up on the insurance just yet. They have a knee jerk reaction of "no we won't pay", but it's worth following up on. It's a lot of money to leave on the table it's worth an effort.

Honestly, can't preach to people about passports, as a Canadian I'm in a different boat we need it. It's just beyond my comprehension to understand how one would not have passport, I understand the reasoning, but to each his own.

to the OP Best of luck to you and your family, I sincerely hope you give cruising a second chance.

Because of some missing details, I'm having a hard time understanding why a the insurance won't pay. If they were late because of a delayed flight, I thought that was the point of the insurance. ....

Some insurance policies have a minimum time that a flight has to be late before they will pay. In other words, if the ship stops boarding at 4pm, and you picked a flight that is scheduled to arrive at 3:55pm, they are not going to cover this situation because the timing is too close. The policies we use have a 4 hour limit, so if the flight is 3 hours late, we're not covered for flight delay.

Edited by clarea

Not sure why som many are confused By the OP.

To me it was quite clear.

They were running late for unknwon reasons and missed the check-in time which can´t be any later than 90 min. Prior to sailling time, as the manifest Needs to be submitted to Homeland security.

They had sufficient documentation to board the ship, but they did not have sufficient documentation to fly to the next port of call and catch up with the ship.

So with missing the ship in FLL they had no Chance to catch up later and had to fly home.

It´s a hard lesson to be learned, I don´t see any recourse with RCI on this though.

Not sure why som many are confused By the OP.

To me it was quite clear.

They were running late for unknwon reasons and missed the check-in time which can´t be any later than 90 min. Prior to sailling time, as the manifest Needs to be submitted to Homeland security.

They had sufficient documentation to board the ship, but they did not have sufficient documentation to fly to the next port of call and catch up with the ship.

So with missing the ship in FLL they had no Chance to catch up later and had to fly home.

It´s a hard lesson to be learned, I don´t see any recourse with RCI on this though.

Yes, this pretty much sums it up.

To the OP, I am sorry for your missed cruise and really do wish you had found out about cruise critic before your sailing. Many of your issues/concerns could have been taken care of and now you would have been on the ship.

If possible do try cruising again. It really is a great family vacation for most. Best of luck!

. Staff on board are unable to allow exceptions to this regulation.

Unless you book your flight through RC :cool: They certainly are able. Our last time on Freedom people on RC booked flights were boarding all the way up until we left the dock. We even left a little late waiting on a few. I dont know how they satisfy the 90 minute requirement but Ive witnessed myself people boarding the ship way after the cutoff.

Im wondering how different this situation would have been if the OP had booked flights through RC. My guess is they would be on their cruise right now

Another thing is I think the 90 minute mark is set by Royal. Not customs. On Carnival for a cruise leaving at 4pm, you have to be checked in and boarding by 3pm so only 60 minutes. Customs cutoff time is actually 30 minutes before the ship leaves I believe.

Edited by ryano

As a mom of two toddlers I really feel for you. Traveling with kids is so stressful. I can't imagine all the work that you put into getting there to just have to go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry that this happened to you but your ship actually departs at 4:30. There is a specific cut off time for boarding the ship that is set by Customs and/or Homeland security as to when the final passenger manifest must be turned in and there is no boarding after that point. Staff on board are unable to allow exceptions to this regulation.

There is always a chance that contacting someone higher up could result in a partial credit towards another cruise. At this point you have nothing to lose so I would give it a try.

Ah, thanks for that detail. Perhaps the check-in agent was communicating with customs/HLS and not someone from RCI?

With an eye on perspective, there are far worse things that can happen than missing an embarkation.

All I can say is I feel so bad for you because if you had booked your flight through RC, your family would be on that cruise right now. They can and DO bend the 90 minute rule. At the risk at getting flamed here, it is my opinion that they could have worked with you. They chose not to. Although by contract, they are not obligated to do anything for you, hopefully you will find someone at corporate more understanding and get some kind of resolution

best of luck. Please return and let us know how it goes

I find the original post confusing. I know terminology is mixed up such as customs VS RC checkin agents but this is a first time cruiser so the lingo and confusion over position of workers is understandable. I don't know why the escalations worker shoreside post cruise would say you could be on the ship, when the pier side workers stated you did not have the documents allowable for Nassau.

Whatever the case it is unfortunate for the OP. It sounds like the perfect storm of bad events. Welcome to CC and hopefully your next cruise, if there is one, is well planned and occurs.

That was my 1st thought as there are no customs at embarkation, but maybe the OP is referring to Security/check in clerks. Also, on our previous Oasis cruises departing time was 4:30 and not 5pm.

I don't know your circumstance for getting to the pier so close to the cut off time...but I would call the insurance company again.

I am assuming you did not book a flight that was getting in so close to departure. If there were airline delays that caused you to miss the ship I though that would have been covered.

We flew in the night before but visited Miami before heading to port. A couple accidents on the I-95, a missed turn, and some unscheduled stops for our daughter sapped an already stressed timeline. Again...my fault. But I always had 5pm on my mind.

Unless you book your flight through RC :cool: They certainly are able. Our last time on Freedom people on RC booked flights were boarding all the way up until we left the dock. We even left a little late waiting on a few. I dont know how they satisfy the 90 minute requirement but Ive witnessed myself people boarding the ship way after the cutoff.

Im wondering how different this situation would have been if the OP had booked flights through RC. My guess is they would be on their cruise right now

Another thing is I think the 90 minute mark is set by Royal. Not customs. On Carnival for a cruise leaving at 4pm, you have to be checked in and boarding by 3pm so only 60 minutes. Customs cutoff time is actually 30 minutes before the ship leaves I believe.

I think the difference here is that if you are booked through RC for your flights and/or transportation they know where you are and that you will be able to get to this ship before the actual sailaway so can add you to the manifest. If you have private arrangements they have no idea if you will make it or not and if they need an official list your name is excluded.

Lots of great lessons to learn from this thread and hopefully a few new cruisers will learn from it.

Sounds like things were left to the last minute...and being a first time cruiser AND travelling with a little one, I would not even try to show up at last minute. I would do everything in my power to be there when it FIRST opens.

But yes, a very hard and expensive lesson to learn. Perhaps some research ahead of time or inquiring ahead of time about the process and normal procedures would have prevented some of this.

First piece of advice I give new cruises is to arrive at the port city the day before. Second piece of advice is to try to get to the terminal as soon as possible on departure day. Between traffic, weather, mechanical problems you never know. Why chance it.

Besides, you have paid for that first day, so why not get on there early and relax and enjoy.

Sage advice... and also common sense that I should have heeded. The sting of this experience may keep us away for a while... perhaps until our daughter is older.

We flew in the night before but visited Miami before heading to port. A couple accidents on the I-95, a missed turn, and some unscheduled stops for our daughter sapped an already stressed timeline. Again...my fault. But I always had 5pm on my mind.

This must be the "Griswald Adventure" that was mentioned earlier. Please, before your next cruise do a lot of research on CC. It would have saved you this entire experience. Regretfully a short trip to Miami cost you your entire cruise. Sadly 5pm for the ship isn't like last call at a Bar.

EDIT: If Clarke researched in advance he would have known Wally World was shut prior to their departure from Chicago. With interent, apps etc. you had the potential to know all in advance and even known about the traffic accidents the day of. Sadly all of this thread could have been avoided, espically when you were already so close to Port Everglades.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I agree. Id like to hear additional details. I feel bad for the OP and his family and I don't intend to sound critical. Based on the story as I understand it, I'm not sure where, if any, fault lies for this unfortunate outcome other than the OP.

I'm curious as to whether he understood the full document requirements in order to board a cruise ship; Did he book directly with RCI or use a TA; did he intentionally book a flight so close to departure, etc.....?

I thinks the OP's story could be a useful experience for all new cruisers.

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you book a cruise again. It's worth it!

Tom

Agreed, the fault lies here. But I'm hoping for a glimmer of compassion and mercy, especially since it's the leisure industry. If anything, I can use this negative experience to fuel other aspects of mine and my family's life.

And I do hope this post serves for benefit of posterity.

I am sorry that sucks but time management is important with cruising. The only thing I can think is better to be left in Miami than in port.

Good luck getting money back unless something was out of your control like mechanical problems on the plane. Having a child does not count, they could care less. Think of it as a very expensive lesson.

Read your insurance policy and see if anything applies to you. Don't trust person on the phone READ the whole thing. They may or may not know the right answer.

I think the difference here is that if you are booked through RC for your flights and/or transportation they know where you are and that you will be able to get to this ship before the actual sailaway so can add you to the manifest. If you have private arrangements they have no idea if you will make it or not and if they need an official list your name is excluded.

Lots of great lessons to learn from this thread and hopefully a few new cruisers will learn from it.

Exactly! A cruise line rep knows that their people are off the plane and on the way to the port so they can get on the manifest prior to getting to the port.

I feel sorry for the OP, but lesson learned.

I think it was brave of you to share your story and you did it in a true reflecting tone. So often I hear people gripe. RCI "WOULDN"T LET ME ON"!!

I'm truly sorry this happened to you and it sounds like a combination of events led up to that nightmare. It sounds like you didn't even stay in Fort Lauderdale but went home. I'm so sorry for you I missed a family flight to the bahamas once and everyone went but me and I had a meltdown in the airport. I was travelling from tallahassee, joining them in Miami. My mom had my passport in Miami but they wouldn't let me board because I didn't have it. ARGH!!!

Take Care

Finally, someone I can share my pain with! :) How long ago was this? Did you eventually feel better?

Well now that more truth is coming out, it wouldnt have mattered if they were on a RC booked flight as they flew in the day before anyway. Just a poor management of time but Im certainly not gonna blast him like others will choose to do.

There is a way around the 90 minute mark though. RC just chose to stand firm is all. Cant blame RC for that. Certainly some lessons to be learned here for sure.

Since you understand your contribution to this situation and sounded relatively humane (not irate, placing blame on everybody and every thing around you), I sincerely hope that they're able to help make things right with you, and that you cruise again in the future. It's one thing (psychologically) to be making your way to the pier while seeing the ship sail away, it's another when you are standing within 100 feet of it for an hour and being turned away.

Best of luck in your endeavor with RCI. Truly.

Yup, we thought we were in the clear before someone ripped the needle off the record player. It stings.

Unfortunately, you paid the cruise company for the use of THAT particular cabin on THAT particular sailing. The fact that you were unable to use that cabin due to your own fault, means that RCI was not able to resell your cabin, and it sat empty all cruise. For them to show your mercy and 'give' you another cruise - or partial cruise - means that you would be in essence getting TWO cruises for the price of one. Sorry, that is just not right. An expensive lesson learned, but I bet that you will be punctual from now on.

The OP clearly understands that his pre-cruise travel snafu, misunderstanding of sailing/cut-off times and lack of travel documents sufficient to meet the ship "downstream" are his own responsibility.

Barring recompense from insurance (if even possible), it is highly unlikely the "leisure industry" company will bestow the kindness and compassion of a refund given these circumstances when, in situations much more heart-breaking than these, the answer has been "I'm sorry - but no.".

Most fellow cruisers understand the disappointment and feel sorry (including myself) but it's not their pocket from which the revenue comes.

The sharing of the OP's story should give pause to all other travelers to plan with a wide margin of error and carry more than the required travel documentation.

I see this is your 1st post, so I'm wondering exactly when you found out about Cruise Critic. Knowing about this site before your cruise would have helped you avoid flying in literally right before your cruise. Experienced/seasoned cruisers always recommend flying in the day before or at least early in the am on the day of your cruise.

I'm sorry this happened, but it is a hard lesson learned. Most of us know not to fly in that late. :(

I had known about CC a couple months prior to departure. We actually did fly in the night before, but inexperience and miscalculation got the best of us that Saturday.

One of my mistakes was not taking 1-2 days off work to review and get everything sorted. Work has been so busy and I never sat down to read & review my documentation. I rushed home and threw everything in a bag before heading to the airport.

Unfortunately, gone are the days when they would let you go to Mexico or Canada w/o a passport.

If we lived near the border and planned frequent trips to Canada or Mexico, we'd have a passport card for trips north. But passport cards are pretty limited. Probably the only place you can use a passport card is on those Alaska shore excursions that visit the Yukon. But they always ask for a passport. Border patrol are very conscientious. In the Yukon, we had to hold our passports while Customs boarded. We were told to remain in our seats. And the guide told us they had once let a lady use the restroom, and she was still in the restroom when the Customs got there. He wasn't impressed, and pulled his gun.

OP may have been able to board w/ the birth certificate & ID, if it's a closed circuit cruise. Passports booklets are better. If for some reason you must fly back to the US, Customs will let you back with a passport booklet.

Nassau can be risky. Last time we were there, they had police all over the place. Usually that doesn't happen unless there had been some incidents.

With Zika now such a risk for young people, I'd suggest booking Canada/New England or Alaska.

Zika is actually one of the silver linings for us. We have a 20-month old daughter. In retrospect, not sure if it's worth the risk (albeit small)

Passports last 10 years for adults. Don't know about youth. When I got my original passport, it was only about $30 and lasted five years.

They they raised the cost, and changed it to 10 years. Much better since passports are not supposed to expire w/in 6 months. So, that passport is actually only 9 1/2 years of useful life.

Last year, it took about 8 weeks for mine to arrive. I paid for regular processing, but rush delivery. With rush delivery, we got a tracking number! They say six weeks, because they don't start counting until after the check clears the bank. DH and mine went in separate envelopes. Once we put ours together. They cashed the checks, then misplaced DH's application.

Some lines do better than others telling you what documents you need. On our Australia cruise itinerary, HAL shows we need a visa. But Royal Caribbean didn't show that on their itinerary. Every cruise has their ups and downs. Royal Caribbean does better at fixing things, but we love Princess's coffee card.

Upgrading mine and my daughter's passports is on the to-do list