EXPLORER IS BACK! May 16-20, 2016 REVIEW w/lots of photos

So now it's about 12:30'ish and we were hungry! So without further adieu, instead of turning the corner and heading up to the Promenade on deck 5 for gf's first ever live view of the Promenade, we decided to shoot up to the Wj right away as we were both ready for lunch. Getting off at 11 I was floored at what I saw... a MASSIVE line wrapping all the way out the door, past the elevator lobby and onto the pool deck. Looking out the pool deck I lost sight of the end of the line as it went way over to the other side towards the Solarium. Incredulously, I went up to the front to ask the WJ attendant what was going on and he said they have been closed. I knew exactly why... the USCG inspection. I quickly made up my mind to get down to the Promenade after all and over to Sorrento's for a sandwich to tide us over. The line-up was only about 20 people deep but the selection was really poor with only turkey & tuna sandwiches available along with a few cookies/desert type of foods. By the time we made it to the front all the turkey was gone so we opted for 2 tuna and 2 cookies... the tuna sandwiches maybe had a teaspoon of tuna salad and the rest was the bun. What can you do? We made do, snarfed those down and went on our way to explore the ship.

It was now past 1pm so I wanted to make our way up to our cabin right away, in the meantime I snapped my first photos on 7 as we went up the stairs.

DSC08364_zpsquawg4b3.jpg

DSC08365_zpsbgc79gdo.jpg

DSC08366_zpso3cip4re.jpg

The sculptures in the Centrums are quite ugly imho, both of them on either side! I'll have a few more pics through the review. We made our way to deck 8 on our M interior cabin aft to find the room had been made up with both beds separated... many people have asked on CC what the interior rooms look like with beds separated so here it is

DSC08367_zpspgep95ds.jpg

DSC08368_zpslo7hluyv.jpg

I normally take a few shots of the interior hallways as the interiors do change from ship to ship a bit. Here's the interior passage ways at the entrance to the elevator lobby on 8, which are the same on most cabin decks. This is the elevator lobby at my deck 8 on the port side, with full view aft from the "map" as well as forward as the hump begins looking forward

DSC08378_zpsikoqsfxc.jpg

P5161936_zpsp9haghtd.jpg

P5161933_zpsv8a3hptm.jpg

P5161932_zpsrowyngyk.jpg

P5161934_zpsb9vbfh0y.jpg

I was on this short cruise and have to say I was pretty disappointed.The activities on this cruise were good: entertainers were pretty good, Royal Promenade is fun (disco party on first night), rock climbing wall, ice show, and the recently added Flowrider were great. But the food was pretty poor. First night's prime rib was skimpy, overcooked, and oversalted au jus, the crème brulee was atrocious (clumpy, and it's NOT difficult to make), carrot cake more solid than cake-like, and the melon at breakfast had been frozen.

Thx for following along dagama. As I go forward with this review you'll see that I agree with you. We went to MDR on night #2 and never returned. On the positive side both Chops & Giovanni's were excellent, and the entertainment was extra good considering this was a shorter cruise... I thought they might throw in a couple of "B" acts but all 4 nights were excellent with a new Production Show I hadn't seen before as well as a new Ice Show.

We were on the same cruise and found check in a bit different.

One line was for Suite and Pinnacle

One Line was for:

Diamond+

Diamond

Emerald

Platinum

Yes, all bunched together. The line was so long that we jumped to the line reserved for Gold and were checked in much quicker. Is something wrong here?

I do appreciate your report and look forward to seeing your evaluation of the Windjammer fiasco on the first day, not to mention the MTD major problems.

Hey Yogimax! Thx for following along... hope you had a good sailing.

Yes, the lines you're speaking of I believe were at check-in. The ones I was mentioning in my explanation were downstairs before going up the escalator... they were slightly different. When I got up there to the check-in area atop the escalator the "lowly" (lol :D) gold check-in line and Platinum/Emerald/D/D+ lines were totally equal so there was no priority there at all. The PN & suite line right beside me had only 3 people there at any one time so they got through very quickly from what I saw

Edited by Hoopster95

Having dumped our stuff in the cabin, we were ready to start exploring The Explorer. We made our way out and I decided to take a few picks of the Promenade from the various decks... in the meantime we were right there in front of RC Online on Deck 8 so we decided to start our tour right there. I did not even log-in once so I can't help anyone who may ask an internet question... I had my iphone with me and residing in BC I turned of me cellular data but was able to text and call when on shore when I needed to, so I didn't bother with any on-board wifi.

DSC08376_zpsfhnlv8by.jpg

DSC08369_zpsef5jow5o.jpg

DSC08374_zpsehmelree.jpg

Royal20carribean20cruise20201620055_zps2o2rreyb.jpg

Heading out I wanted to check out the view of the Promenade from one od the Romeo&Juliet balconies that are located at the dead end of the elevator lobbies on decks 6, 7 and 8. Here's the view from deck 8 both down the Promenade and back towards RC OnLine. You can also see deck 7 (Library) and the "bow" of deck 6 jutting out where "Next Cruise" desks are located. I love that winding sculpture art and have several photos at the various decks, it's beautiful and has some inlay artwork you can;t see from afar. Take a close look at it when you're on board, it really is gorgeous.

DSC08379_zpszpdxh71j.jpg

DSC08382_zpsj2azocwl.jpg

As mentioned in the previous posts, images from the Library on Deck 6...

DSC08383_zps85rowipz.jpg

Royal20carribean20cruise20201620062_zpsvqhbmdxu.jpg

Royal20carribean20cruise20201620061_zps3gp7siwr.jpg

Royal20carribean20cruise20201620064_zpssb0u2bek.jpg

.... and Next Cruise on Deck 6 looking both into the seating area as well as a shot from standing at the outcropping "bow" looking out at the Promenade for you to enjoy. Note that only Deck 6 is open out to the Promenade, whereas Deck 7 and 8 is separated by floor to ceiling glass.

DSC08389_zpsi8jbaxxc.jpg

Royal20carribean20cruise20201620052_zpsj2q5x9tu.jpg

That's it for tonight.... will continue tomorrow.

Thx for the kind words from all of you that have done so and thx for following along to everyone who's clicked on this review so far.

Edited by Hoopster95

Following. I'll be on her within two weeks! One of my favorite ships. :)

We are also on this cruise. WE will probably be well known due to the company we are traveling in. Look for 11 West Coasters and 2 Midwest hanger ons. We tend to be happy noisy and involved !

We are also on this cruise. WE will probably be well known due to the company we are traveling in. Look for 11 West Coasters and 2 Midwest hanger ons. We tend to be happy noisy and involved !

Sounds like we may spot you! Alaska is my favorite of all 44 sailings. Enjoy:D

we decided to shoot up to the Wj right away as we were both ready for lunch. Getting off at 11 I was floored at what I saw... a MASSIVE line wrapping all the way out the door, past the elevator lobby and onto the pool deck. Looking out the pool deck I lost sight of the end of the line as it went way over to the other side towards the Solarium.

Very nice review and photos Hoopster!

The Windjammer finally opened at 11:30 but half of the sections were closed. We chose what appeared to be shortest of three lines and waited about 30-45 minutes to reach the food. The food consisted ONLY of hot dogs, hamburgers and a few French fries.

We had My Time Dining reserved for 7:30PM. When we got down to deck 5 we saw a mob of over 100 people jammed into the hallways and no one was moving. The explanation given was people were not leaving the dining room. We wound up going to the late seating at 8PM. I will say that they fixed this problem for the next three nights.

I booked this cruise surprisingly on the Going, Going, Gone sail as a solo at an extremely great deal in a M interior. Turns out my new gf was able to get time off and join me, and only 6 days prior was able to add her to my booking with no change of price whatsoever (only port taxes).

My 2 girlfriends and I would like to take this cruise next May. How late did you wait before booking this cruise?

Thanks for the review!

My 2 girlfriends and I would like to take this cruise next May. How late did you wait before booking this cruise?

Thanks for the review!

I booked on Monday, Apr 4 when the Tue Going Going Gone sail prices are available to Crown & Anchor. On the Tuesday Apr 5 that same M interior was up close to $80 per person, within a week the sailing was almost sold out with only a few balconies left. Looks like I hit that sweet spot at about 45-60 days out.

Edited by Hoopster95

Very nice review and photos Hoopster!

The Windjammer finally opened at 11:30 but half of the sections were closed. We chose what appeared to be shortest of three lines and waited about 30-45 minutes to reach the food. The food consisted ONLY of hot dogs, hamburgers and a few French fries.

Ah so WJ was open with that humungous line all waiting, wow!!! I went back at about 2:15-2:20 to finally have some real food and no more line, and some decent selections albeit only about 1/3 of normal on embarkation day.

We had My Time Dining reserved for 7:30PM. When we got down to deck 5 we saw a mob of over 100 people jammed into the hallways and no one was moving. The explanation given was people were not leaving the dining room. We wound up going to the late seating at 8PM. I will say that they fixed this problem for the next three nights.

Ah we saw the lines! Thanks for sharing your experience... I was wondering about that. We had Chops booked so fortunately no issues for my dinner.

We headed up to pool deck again to check out the WJ line... still on the long side but much shorter than before, so I continued as the tour guide showing off the ship. The line was on the port side facing the WJ aft, so we headed out from the WJ starboard side onto the pool deck and headed forward.

DSC08390_zps5lqddzrl.jpg

DSC08391_zpsuxf7308c.jpg

Ah yes... familiar territory here with many cruisers vs. staff volleyball games and belly-flop competitions under my belt lol!

DSC08392_zpsllskq36w.jpg

And here too... lots of pool games, dancing and events. This is a great ship for the Caribbean and other hot weather climates with an awesome pool deck and a TON of loungers. I am only guessing that this will be a ghost town deck with hundreds of cruisers all jamming into the Promenade during nasty and colder Alaskan weather.

DSC08394_zpspoxrn9vz.jpg

DSC08395_zpsgcnbeun6.jpg

And this is the first time on any ship that I have noticed life-jackets of all sizes available right at the pool deck beside the towel station.... is this new? Interesting.

DSC08397_zpsjn8pt0k7.jpg

Continuing forward past the Pool bar and life vests we enter the Solarium... well... it's not really a "solarium" in that it's not covered. The pool itself and the loungers around it are open to the elements. being adult only and if you want quiet space, this is a great place to tan "in peace"... but will be, like the pool deck in the post before, a ghost town in inclement weather cold and/or rainy weather unlike the Radiance or Quantum Class fully glass covered and warm Solariums.

For those of you who have never been on an updated Voyager or Freedom Class ship with the added cabins on deck 12, the first photo you can clearly see up on deck 12 the doorway that leads into the elevator lobby (dead center of the photo right beside the glass panels) and cabin area, as well as the stairs that go up to deck 13 to the front of the ship. If you look really really close, between that doorway and the stairs, there's another door beside the garbage cans painted in white that looks like a service door... it's yet another public access directly into the hallway of those balcony cabins in that area.

DSC08399_zpsuro9ctkf.jpg

DSC08401_zpsrhbgah7l.jpg

DSC08402_zpsfbdduqlo.jpg

DSC08404_zpsak5zuqbc.jpg

DSC08405_zpst6yzjjru.jpg

DSC08406_zps1e7rpeuy.jpg

From the above photo on the Starboard side, we continued forward through to the elevator lobby, and rather than heading into the Vitality Spa & Gym, we headed outside through the sliding doors to this spot....

DSC08409_zpswbsrp8nh.jpg

DSC08408_zps6bewz9ez.jpg

This leads you out in front of the Gym, and to the Bridge "Peek-a-Boo" viewing area that anyone can watch the action from inside the bridge.

DSC08416_zps6gixysf8.jpg

DSC08412_zpsxtgpr1pd.jpg

dc7f6d4a-95dc-41d4-b299-40cbe2dfc02c_zpszmlepnqi.jpg

This deck provides great views on either side, but not the greatest directly forward. And it's not close to any amenity (bar, loungers, sailaway events, etc). This would not be a place for sailaway for example in my opinion as you are limited to the site lines in only one direction.... Had a great view of downtown Seattle from the port side.

a8af8b7e-b5fa-4626-9fbf-3e53d434162e_zpsmry1rxjw.jpg

Loving this review! Explorer started my love of Voyager class ships.

Aha! Me too :)

My first cruise was EX out of Bayonne... horrible cruise due to the company I was with, but then the Mariner & Voyager set me straight :p

So who goes to the gym on a cruise??? .... I do!

Explorer's gym is very nice, forgot what the Voyager Class gyms looked like after sailing Radiance/Vision/Quantum classes the last 2 years. It's bright with a ton of great equipment, a very large open gym/floor area for spin classes/stretch/pilates/etc and open with the iconic large indoor Jacuzzi dead center with the circular staircase heading up to the Spa.

DSC08420_zpskrri5u4y.jpg

DSC08422_zpsq2qfk1l2.jpg

DSC08424_zpsntvcapvf.jpg

Royal20carribean20cruise20201620096_zpstheqldgh.jpg

We headed up the circular staircase up to the spa, where we were immediately met by one of the Spa representatives and wanting us to join a sales pi... er..... tour of the Spa lol. We declined and went through ourselves. This Spa is not as nice as Radiance or Quantum classes with the natural light through the windows as here they've been replaced by solid walls from the new hallways of the new cabins on deck 12. The public space as well as the salon were nice enough, but all the massage rooms are very small and institutional feeling without the glass looking out to the sea, not inviting at all. There were many people walking around so only took these two photos, and I never went back either.

Btw, on this last photo of the spa waiting area, the entire wall floor to ceiling used to be glass looking out to the ocean. Now behind there is the hallway and then the extended P2 & P1 cabins overtop of the bridge.

DSC08430_zpssv1jov6b.jpg

DSC08431_zpspfjmznim.jpg

Following along. Thanks for doing this review. We are crossing our fingers that we can take one of the west coast cruises on Explorer this coming September. Great to see the ship in advance. :)

Hey Bill! Thx for following.

Yep, me too. My schedule has been brutal and I'm trying to see if I can sneak in either the Sept 23rd or 30th sailing but I really doubt it I can do it. Hope you can!

Remember that small deck and doorway I mentioned a couple of posts ago that lead into the Deck 12 cabin areas? Leaving the Spa on 12 and heading out past the elevator lobby through that door, at the first step you take outside you are looking aft and down where I had taken photos of the Solarium previously.

DSC08435_zpsmn9dhp6x.jpg

DSC08436_zpswukzmjcb.jpg

We headed up the stairs to "deck 13" which is above all the new cabins... I had mentioned on my Navigator review, the first ship with this deck, that this was a real waste of space and Explorer was no different. Basically a very very large and open space with a ton of loungers for tanning ... so in other words a colossal waste of space especially for Alaska!!!! The high windows won't help much either especially if they are dirty from salt air or whathaveyou as the views will be horrible in that case... I would rather stand open oin the railing of deck 12 by pooldeck for example. Here are two photos looking forward at the deck and also back in the aft direction towards the Viking Crown and pool deck.

DSC08438_zpseiwsuyfy.jpg

f7f57bd7-4910-449e-bc80-b6c45aa8d0aa_zpsw6d4dlzx.jpg

Here's a shot from the farthest point forward looking back. Looking forward and down your view is somewhat restricted straight down by the bridge deck and the white cover of the structures below... you barely see any of the helipad if that helps any of you picture the siteline. Loking back, there's no bar, towel station, nothing... but it's a great quiet place with hardly anyone there for those of you who wish to have peace and quiet. It's really only a short walk and stairs down to the Solarium or Sky Bars anyways.

DSC08440_zpsns3birub.jpg

And here we are on deck 12 walking aft. Note the running track.... because the new cabins/interior space on deck 12 is now inaccessible to foot traffic, the running track loops around the back of the SkyBar.

DSC08445_zpsgkr0ucwb.jpg

Making our way around the edge of the Solarium I snapped a few more shots before continuing aft.... these next two are from the small deck area that sits right on top of the Sky Bar (I can only guess that's deck 13 also?) There's only room up there for 10 or so loungers but does provide a great view of the decks of the ship both forward and aft.

DSC08447_zpsx7gqtw0p.jpg

DSC08448_zpsc7xysk0v.jpg

And of course the infamous and awesome RCL Voyager Class pool decks from the upper railings of deck 12....

DSC08449_zpspetec2uh.jpg

DSC08451_zpsllpaxwlc.jpg

It was here that we reached an "epic" moment.... continue our tour to the aft of the ship, or pull exit stage left and hopefully the WJ line-ups have calmed down as we were hangry!

DSC08452_zpsd5h1ejem.jpg

But before entering the WJ I couldn't help but take snap a shot of the Centrum "artwork" I had commented on in my very first post with a picture of it from below... was that made by 7 yr olds with tin foil??? lol... all in jest, but really one of the worst pieces of artwork I've seen hanging on any RCL ship... and yet right beside it at the Promenade they also have one of the most beautiful pieces hanging down into the StudioB area (photos to come). Go figure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

DSC08453_zpsaeuwlh42.jpg