Houston 3 Nights post cruise

clarky213

I am looking for some suggestions on what is the best area to stay in Houston for 3 nights post cruise.

I would like to visit the Space Centre one of the days, so Easy Transport links important as I don't want to drive.

No other plans for the other full day we will have before flying back to the UK so open to any ideas.

Budget approx $150/$200 per night.Preferably, hotel to have a pool.

Thanks in advance.

I am looking for some suggestions on what is the best area to stay in Houston for 3 nights post cruise.

I would like to visit the Space Centre one of the days, so Easy Transport links important as I don't want to drive.

No other plans for the other full day we will have before flying back to the UK so open to any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

The Houston area is HUGE. You'll be spending a lot of money on transportation. Public transportation is worthless except in a small area like downtown to the museum district. NASA is very far away from other interesting areas such as the museum district. You might consider staying in Galveston and visiting NASA on your way to the airport. Sorry to be negative, but visiting Houston without a car doesn't make much sense.

The Houston area is HUGE. You'll be spending a lot of money on transportation. Public transportation is worthless except in a small area like downtown to the museum district. NASA is very far away from other interesting areas such as the museum district. You might consider staying in Galveston and visiting NASA on your way to the airport. Sorry to be negative, but visiting Houston without a car doesn't make much sense.

This may or may not work for you... There is a Courtyard Marriott right across the street from NASA. NASA is really only a one day experience though... Kehma isn't that far, but without a car, you would need to depend on a taxi, etc.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I may look into getting a car for the 3 days if it is necessary, although I have never driven in the US and you guys drive on the wrong side of the road:D.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I may look into getting a car for the 3 days if it is necessary, although I have never driven in the US and you guys drive on the wrong side of the road:D.

Well we drive on the right side of the road while you drive on the left side. :D

Thanks in advance.

Easy transport is hard to come by in Houston. You could Uber everywhere, but that adds up. Galveston has a few attractions such as Moody Gardens, the Pleasure Pier, and the beaches if you wanted to stay in the area.

Houston's attractions are all over the place. The Museum District is very nice, especially the Museum of Fine Arts, the Museum of Natural Science, and the Houston Zoo. If you like shopping, the Galleria has nearly anything you might want. NASA is a good time but it's in Clear Lake and pretty much halfway between Galveston and downtown Houston on Interstate 45.

If you are open to changing hotels you could book one near NASA one night, then book another one elsewhere (maybe the Galleria) the next night. As I type this out though, the area around NASA isn't really a great tourist area. Perhaps a night in Galveston, spend the next day at NASA, and book the hotel night in the Galleria area?

The Houston area is gigantic so there's a lot of ways you could go with this.

Easy transport is hard to come by in Houston. You could Uber everywhere, but that adds up. Galveston has a few attractions such as Moody Gardens, the Pleasure Pier, and the beaches if you wanted to stay in the area.

Houston's attractions are all over the place. The Museum District is very nice, especially the Museum of Fine Arts, the Museum of Natural Science, and the Houston Zoo. If you like shopping, the Galleria has nearly anything you might want. NASA is a good time but it's in Clear Lake and pretty much halfway between Galveston and downtown Houston on Interstate 45.

If you are open to changing hotels you could book one near NASA one night, then book another one elsewhere (maybe the Galleria) the next night. As I type this out though, the area around NASA isn't really a great tourist area. Perhaps a night in Galveston, spend the next day at NASA, and book the hotel night in the Galleria area?

The Houston area is gigantic so there's a lot of ways you could go with this.

I think your idea about staying in Galveston for one night then going to NASA on the way to an area "inside Loop 610" is the best way to go. The Museum area and the Galleria are about 5 miles apart - close in the Houston area. :eek:

One good option would be to stay in Clear Lake near the Space Center. There is the Bay Area Park N Ride that runs to downtown. You can actually walk to it, across the street, from the Mariott Residence Inn. You can go visit downtown Houston and/or the Museum District from there -- straight line from Bay Area Park n Ride to Downtown. They Metro Rail train runs all inside the loop north and south - very easy. The hotel shuttle will run you over to the NASA Space Center - very short 2 minute ride. There is also a Homewood Suites as well right next door.

So one day at Nasa Space Center. One Day downtown and museum district/Houston Zoo. Houston is a great city and a lot to see and do nowadays. Downtown is going through a major transformation because the big Super Bowl is coming up. It is a boom town. We love it.

Edited by BrotherCraig